Ghost in the Shell Limited Posters, Blu-ray, Figures, and More! - Help with Poster Information.

I don't know how many people here follow the screenprint market. But there are a bunch for Ghost in the Shell. Sometimes the prints can go for a lot of money. And I saw some recent auctions for the old 1000 Editions prints on eBay. I was looking for a few of those along with other people on various forums and I think the Reddit topic, which I'm not a member.

As there are only topics for the various Ghost in the Shell series and also Toys and Models. I thought I would start one for the prints and occasional items that show up. Like there is supposed to be an American drawn comic coming out next year. There used to be a good site called I think the Shirow Hyperpage which had all kinds of news, info, and items. Without it I wouldn't have a few Shirow designed tech items. But that closed down like many fan pages.

Here is the popular and now expensive Mondo screenprint. I posted about this one in another topic a few years back. There are more by other artists and from other companies too.

GitS_Foil_Variant_Mondo_Poster_01.thumb.jpg.c49e73fd6412dc67d431c337dc74b93b.jpg

Also, the old 1000 Editions prints which are up on eBay. These are on a textured paper.

Motoko_Kusanagi_Shirow_Masamune_1000_Editions_Print_01.thumb.jpg.87da5c33a916b1dc27989bef86a07799.jpg

Motoko_Kusanagi_Shirow_Masamune_1000_Editions_Print_02.thumb.JPG.504112c84f1bb46943e24dcc687ba1b1.JPG

Motoko_Kusanagi_Shirow_Masamune_1000_Editions_Print_03.jpg.4594bea1a4e8b5668d4f08a2e9f6678b.jpg

Motoko_Chroma_Cyberdelics_Shirow_Masamune_1000_Editions_Print.thumb.jpg.a6d04fed96bc343bc736d6c45ec026e5.jpg

21 hours ago, Major Focker said:

i've been looking on and off since a year or so for the metallic foil version of this one, but haven't found one for a good price

What's a good price for you? As this is one of Mondo's best prints you might have to put up the high price. Even the normal version went up. Best chance is probably to find a buy it now or best offer a bit under $1000. There are I think Facebook print groups and the ExpressoBeans forum where you might be able to get a better deal or do a trade. But I don't have much experience with those. I've only read about them.

22 hours ago, JetJockey said:

What's a good price for you? As this is one of Mondo's best prints you might have to put up the high price. Even the normal version went up. Best chance is probably to find a buy it now or best offer a bit under $1000. There are I think Facebook print groups and the ExpressoBeans forum where you might be able to get a better deal or do a trade. But I don't have much experience with those. I've only read about them.

Just under $1000?? Wow. Can't you just commission somebody to do a copy and have it printed? If it was me for that money I'd buy several canvases and paint it myself...

...except that it will probably take me more than a hundred canvases and several years to complete ahahaha. That reminds me, I've spent much more than that buying stuff online and Japan trips. Darn it this hobby T_T

12 hours ago, hachi said:

Just under $1000?? Wow. Can't you just commission somebody to do a copy and have it printed? If it was me for that money I'd buy several canvases and paint it myself...

...except that it will probably take me more than a hundred canvases and several years to complete ahahaha. That reminds me, I've spent much more than that buying stuff online and Japan trips. Darn it this hobby T_T

I don't deal with copies. And this would be a copy of an artist's work and then printed on foil. Seems like too much to go though and no decent artist work take the job. Only some poster scammer.

I posted this before when I mentioned the poster. But the foil is worth getting for fans. Not my video but the reflection is why I love it.

Some charts where you can see both versions continue to go up.

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/196370

And the last three put up on eBay all sold most likely in the $900 range.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ansin+ghost+shell+foil&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ansin+ghost+shell+foil&_sacat=0

On 12/08/2017 at 8:26 AM, JetJockey said:

I don't deal with copies. And this would be a copy of an artist's work and then printed on foil. Seems like too much to go though and no decent artist work take the job. Only some poster scammer.

I posted this before when I mentioned the poster. But the foil is worth getting for fans. Not my video but the reflection is why I love it.

And the last three put up on eBay all sold most likely in the $900 range.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ansin+ghost+shell+foil&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ansin+ghost+shell+foil&_sacat=0

OK foil posters might be worth it but plain posters aren't. But could the price have risen higher if the GITS live-action movie was successful? It's just too much money.

14 hours ago, hachi said:

OK foil posters might be worth it but plain posters aren't. But could the price have risen higher if the GITS live-action movie was successful? It's just too much money.

I just don't like copies or fakes. You get the real thing if you can or save for it. These prints are high quality limited artworks signed and numbered by the artists as well. But my philosophy goes for movie posters too. At least try to find a licensed, numbered, and high quality reprint. I know those vintage posters make the price of these modern prints look like a joke.

I haven't followed the Ghost in the Shell prices too closely. But I would assume the price probably went higher when the live action movie was announced. Everyone wanting Ghost in the Shell items. Then even more after the poor reception of that movie and fans not needing posters from it. Thus wanting more classic stuff. And also because the last two Mondo Ghost in the Shell posters weren't that great. One from that live action movie and another for the series.

59910f26457bd_GitSTongPoster.thumb.jpg.60530dcb5d2667dee89c6e3f2efd6376.jpg

59910f43e4fe9_GitSCloonanPoster.thumb.jpg.e310be31a0f5eade63dfebf85abb99b5.jpg

It all just increases the demand for something that only has 325 regular and 325 foil variant prints. Although there are 51 regular and 30 foil variant Artist Proofs. Overall 376 regular and 355 foil variant prints total, still not a lot to go around for Ghost in the Shell fans. That's why I watch what they release and get in early before prices can go up. This Akira poster was the original eye opener for me.

59910fe062d66_AkiraMondoPoster.thumb.jpg.f0feb744a1c5c32e2f201a6e8b1d7d26.jpg

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/134727

8 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I just don't like copies or fakes. You get the real thing if you can or save for it. These prints are high quality limited artworks signed and numbered by the artists as well. But my philosophy goes for movie posters too. At least try to find a licensed, numbered, and high quality reprint. I know those vintage posters make the price of these modern prints look like a joke.

I haven't followed the Ghost in the Shell prices too closely. But I would assume the price probably went higher when the live action movie was announced. Everyone wanting Ghost in the Shell items. Then even more after the poor reception of that movie and fans not needing posters from it. Thus wanting more classic stuff. And also because the last two Mondo Ghost in the Shell posters weren't that great. One from that live action movie and another for the series.

59910f26457bd_GitSTongPoster.thumb.jpg.60530dcb5d2667dee89c6e3f2efd6376.jpg

59910f43e4fe9_GitSCloonanPoster.thumb.jpg.e310be31a0f5eade63dfebf85abb99b5.jpg

Yeah compared to the older ones those two look awful. But one good thing that happened because of the movie is that some sold out GITS-related books are available again. Not that 2nd hand copies weren't available, but I prefer new...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 6:34 AM, hachi said:

Yeah compared to the older ones those two look awful. But one good thing that happened because of the movie is that some sold out GITS-related books are available again. Not that 2nd hand copies weren't available, but I prefer new...

Which books? I know there are a few from the original movie and Stand Alone Complex that I want to get. Mostly the design books.

Edited by JetJockey

On 8/24/2017 at 6:51 AM, JetJockey said:

Which books? I know there are a few from the original movie and Stand Alone Complex that I want to get. Mostly the design books.

For example, I bought the archives book for the Ghost in the Shell movie. It was no longer available since last year (I think) but when the movie came out new stock came in.

On 8/26/2017 at 4:08 AM, hachi said:

For example, I bought the archives book for the Ghost in the Shell movie. It was no longer available since last year (I think) but when the movie came out new stock came in.

The genga book? How much was it? I didn't know it wasn't available. I was always checking eBay and there were a few copies.

14 hours ago, JetJockey said:

The genga book? How much was it? I didn't know it wasn't available. I was always checking eBay and there were a few copies.

It was 3500 yen. Have never bought from eBay though, and usually I like my stuff new.

14 hours ago, hachi said:

It was 3500 yen. Have never bought from eBay though, and usually I like my stuff new.

People on eBay sell new items. There are stores that use eBay for visibility and if I find an item there, they usually have it a bit cheaper on their actual store. As it's marked up for eBay's 10% fee.

17 hours ago, potatotomato said:

how do you guys prevent printed media from turning yellow or foxing out?

i have some A4 posters but i don't dare to invest in expensive prints as they usually fox out especially if you display them.

most frames ain't exactly air tight.

I think similar to plastics that have potentially yellowing chemicals, sometimes you can't do anything about it. You have to hope that the producing company uses good materials. I have old books, comics, and posters that are printed on cheap paper that have the yellowing. At best you can use acid free materials, UV filtered plexiglass, and keep them away from direct sunlight. That should slow the process. With the modern posters I get, I haven't seen a problem. Those Shirow ones I posted in the OP are 20+ years old without a problem. The ones I haven't framed are flat between acid free paper in an acid free box.

Edited by JetJockey

• 6 months later...

This might be a good place for this news. 4K version coming out for the original movie.

I guess we'll get news of the new series soon. Hopefully some figure news too. We still need a figure of the movie Motoko.

Oooh. A 4K rendition. ;)

Probably it would be best to change the thread title to accomodate all future release pertaining to GITS.

Here's another news from 2017. New anime which will be directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Stand Alone Complex) and Shinji Aramaki (Mospeada & Megazone23). And hopefully, it's still on-going. ;)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/04/08/ghost-in-the-shell-will-be-getting-a-new-anime-adaptation/#6a99d5c72626

• JetJockey changed the title to Ghost in the Shell Posters, Prints, Blu-ray, and Various Items
7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Oooh. A 4K rendition. ;)

Probably it would be best to change the thread title to accomodate all future release pertaining to GITS.

Here's another news from 2017. New anime which will be directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Stand Alone Complex) and Shinji Aramaki (Mospeada & Megazone23). And hopefully, it's still on-going. ;)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/04/08/ghost-in-the-shell-will-be-getting-a-new-anime-adaptation/#6a99d5c72626

I edited the title and added Blu-ray. I thought "various items" would be a catch all since there is a toys topic and a few others. I assume someone will start a topic for the new series whenever it's officially announced. Plus some times news of items gets lost in the conversation.

2 hours ago, hachi said:

I'd love a new GITS SAC series, hopefully they get Yoko Kanno to compose again. Too bad Origa is gone.

Me too. SAC is always a go-to GITS for me. ^_^

Sad to know that Origa is gone. But I'm in for any Yoko Kanno GITS music. ;)

On 3/27/2018 at 4:08 AM, JetJockey said:

This might be a good place for this news. 4K version coming out for the original movie.

Will it be remastered? Isn't there some limitation with the original source that it wasn't even mastered in 1080p properly?

For anime, I wonder if there is any point going above 720p, unless you are trying to preserve the grain.

I might be interested in a 4K Nausicaa -- that is as grainy as the first Blu-ray release but without the red color-cast. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Here's my review of the Ghost in the Shell bilingual edition: https://mechaspiritia.wordpress.com/2018/04/30/review-ghost-in-the-shell-bilingual-edition/

Summary:

- It is an uncensored version

- Has lighter coloring compared to Dark Horse version

- Has smaller fonts (if you are concerned about readability)

- Footnotes in Japanese only (it's in English in the Dark Horse version)

So, for those who want a new copy of uncensored version, this is the one to get. It is already backordered at CDJ (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-217032).

On 5/1/2018 at 7:07 AM, hachi said:

Here's my review of the Ghost in the Shell bilingual edition: https://mechaspiritia.wordpress.com/2018/04/30/review-ghost-in-the-shell-bilingual-edition/

Summary:

- It is an uncensored version

- Has lighter coloring compared to Dark Horse version

- Has smaller fonts (if you are concerned about readability)

- Footnotes in Japanese only (it's in English in the Dark Horse version)

So, for those who want a new copy of uncensored version, this is the one to get. It is already backordered at CDJ (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-217032).

Thanks for that review. I didn't know about that Gunbuster book either. I'll keep an eye on your site.

Also, this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day and there is a Ghost in the Shell comic. This is a preview of the larger I believe mostly American illustrated graphic novel coming out later this year.

5aebc05e06652_gitsfreecomic.thumb.jpg.05eb987b7e4e0ca59bc80930e87e82eb.jpg

I've complained about the moe-ification of the Major in the ARISE series, but this rendition borders on 'gritty' (though not on the level of that dreadful comic of the show-that-shall-not-be-named on the other thread). Unfortunately my local bookstore doesn't give out free comics--just a graphic novel sale. So I'm not getting the chance to get this.

Are you getting this comic? If so, let us know what's inside. :)

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 7:14 AM, hachi said:

I've complained about the moe-ification of the Major in the ARISE series, but this rendition borders on 'gritty' (though not on the level of that dreadful comic of the show-that-shall-not-be-named on the other thread). Unfortunately my local bookstore doesn't give out free comics--just a graphic novel sale. So I'm not getting the chance to get this.

Are you getting this comic? If so, let us know what's inside. :)

It sold out from where I usually get comics.

A new Motoko figure was teased for 2019. Still SAC though. They really don't want to make a good movie version. I thought we would see something with the recent release in 4K.

https://myfigurecollection.net/item/738339

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • JetJockey changed the title to Ghost in the Shell Limited Posters, Blu-ray, Figures, and More! - NEW $1000 Statue!

Updated the title because we are finally getting a GitS movie Motoko figure. But she's statue! And 1/4 scale! And $1000!

472560450_motokogits.thumb.jpg.e8abcb0ccbcc2b09c81ace9b14671068.jpg

More images here:

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/10986/Motoko+Kusanagi.html

She's too much for me. I was never crazy about that poster artwork. And for $1000 they could make a diorama type statue. But maybe this will be the start of more movie Motoko figures. I'll stick to my Arise Motoko right now that has a similar theme.

345571081_motokoarise.thumb.jpeg.50884f870fbdf8780c1cd51e488209c1.jpeg

I'll see if I can keep the topic updated with the stuff I see as well. I know I missed adding some recent items.

I did read about that limited Mondo Ghost in the Shell poster by Martin Ansin, which I started this topic about getting released as a steelbook cover. But they edited some of her female parts on the steelbook.

1243751750_gitsedited.thumb.jpg.15c784975bc484ab283e654b7c268a13.jpg

Edited by JetJockey

On 4/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, JetJockey said:

Updated the title because we are finally getting a GitS movie Motoko figure. But she's statue! And 1/4 scale! And $1000!

472560450_motokogits.thumb.jpg.e8abcb0ccbcc2b09c81ace9b14671068.jpg

More images here:

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/10986/Motoko+Kusanagi.html

She's too much for me. I was never crazy about that poster artwork. And for $1000 they could make a diorama type statue. But maybe this will be the start of more movie Motoko figures. I'll stick to my Arise Motoko right now that has a similar theme.

For that kind of money I'll just go buy some clay and learn how to sculpt :lol:

<checks out the partner shops just in case...>

Statue prices are really going up. Although it's three statues. Weta just put a 1/4 scale Lara Croft vs Raptors up for $1500. I guess I also mention it here because in the design video, one of the guys had a Macross VF-1 kit box I believe in the background at 2:20.

But anyway, if Sideshow gets this Motoko statue, we should be able to use points to get the price down. A lot of points are expiring this year since Sideshow changed their policy with Reward Points. I imagine some people have enough saved for this statue. I'm not one of them. But I've seen people with close to $1000 in Rewards Points.

For movie Motoko, I probably would have preferred a statue from the ending shootout scene. Or just Motoko standing or sitting on the building in the opening. The building that has the Blade Runner reference.

Edited by JetJockey

• 2 months later...