Model Kit Collection Show It Off!!!

ChristopherB

I found Shuichi Miyawaki on FB and I'm pretty sure it's the right one because this is his cover photo:

No photo description available.

I started going down the rabbit hole of finding out when, exactly, he started organizing his stash and stopped at this post on his timeline from July 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/shuichi.miyawaki.73/posts/pfbid08oEj92XsM9A25o5L1EcE4dSbv8rUCHGBUS4mH8zfCNLpjX1Ttte2xCQeeRrrxRm4l

July 1st is finally coming to an end, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude, excitement, kind of joy and joy for the overwhelming number of people congratulating, comments & likes on Facebook today. No, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it, but there were too many things that I gave up. I changed my profile picture to celebrate my birthday again, and it seems that there were a lot of people who found this picture for the first time in a while. I'm sorry this just came up in the news. Thank you for today.

That means the original stuff must be even earlier. I could probably spend all day on this, but have to get back to other projects.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, Anasazi37 said:

I found Shuichi Miyawaki on FB and I'm pretty sure it's the right one because this is his cover photo:

No photo description available.

I started going down the rabbit hole of finding out when, exactly, he started organizing his stash and stopped at this post on his timeline from July 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/shuichi.miyawaki.73/posts/pfbid08oEj92XsM9A25o5L1EcE4dSbv8rUCHGBUS4mH8zfCNLpjX1Ttte2xCQeeRrrxRm4l

That means the original stuff must be even earlier. I could probably spend all day on this, but have to get back to other projects.

*Falls over from styrene overload*

-----------------------------------

Help a peng out on his birthday!

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=Y47AZGLL5NK5J

Edited by pengbuzz

• 3 weeks later...
Part of my personal collection, please enjoy! In addition to the collectibles shown in the video, the following:
I have (2) closet cabinets full as well of unbuilt kits
As well as a box packed with built super Macross rare resin kits, and maybe (25) various built/unbuilt kits spread around the bedroom.
Likewise I have (4) boxes of Macross resin/plastic kits enroute from the United States.
I have around (5) model kits being professionally built around the world by customizers.
Lastly, I purchased a large Macross collection from my friend in Canada. They'll be arriving in batches this year.
My ultimate goal is to photograph every single kit and built project to share will all my fellow collectors and model builders!
PS: If you can identify the song in the comment section, I'll know that you have great taste in music.

Edited by ChristopherB
Additional Information!

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, Shawn said:

And for the completest collectors, look for #1 and #2 box variations...the early release had a plunger 'sticker' on the box before they integrated it into the box art itself (later and all the rest)

p.s. I really want that Zentradi Stamp promo poster jvmacross! ha

sticker_variation.jpg

SO DO I Shawn 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, Shawn said:

And for the completest collectors, look for #1 and #2 box variations...the early release had a plunger 'sticker' on the box before they integrated it into the box art itself (later and all the rest)

p.s. I really want that Zentradi Stamp promo poster jvmacross! ha

sticker_variation.jpg

So do I Shawn

• 5 weeks later...

Bringing this back from the dead. A little more of my resin/garage kits that I have, but never posted.

Tanmen/UNCM sd fighter

1381548498975.jpg.c04e198353b88cdee3de500a60f82fb3.jpg

Screenshot_20230604-143613_Photobucket.jpg.e6a538a31f55b3a9670e262459025993.jpg

Recast of the NEO grade 1/72 GBP

20230604_111639.jpg.65266a7b6f2af0b0706709c703458237.jpg

20230604_111712.jpg.21565326f562acffc3aff06060375c34.jpg

Recast of the Arcadia non scale SDF-1

20230604_111001.jpg.9642b34792df4fcd7649c768c6c564d3.jpg

Recast of the Tanmen/UNCM sd super ostrich

Screenshot_20230604-143641_Photobucket.jpg.a8e69e552d35bf271436625f7301036b.jpg

Last one for now... Until I dig up more. Yellow submarine VF-X 1/144 VF1

Screenshot_20230604-143516_Photobucket.jpg.39a08b6d5c526221b1ef6e9f09676f0b.jpg

Edited by vt102
Edited picture

• 4 months later...

I had collected all of those 12th scale figure kits by Imai but I sold them all at Book Off a year or so ago because I realized that I would never get around to ever building them. Proportions aren't very good, the hair looks a bit flat, etc. Hikaru's supposed to have messy cowlick hair but the figure's hair looks pretty tame. 

I did keep my Bandai Macross Girl. The actual kit doesn't look as nice as the box art, but it's alright, I guess. It's made from that heavy, solid ABS plastic that those early '80s Tsukuda figure kits came in. It's not styrene. Plus it came with stickers. I scanned the sticker sheet and printed them onto clear laser printer decal paper. The engine bells on the fast pack are solid, so instead of trying to hollow them out with my router and make a mess of them, I think I'll just cut them off and use some replacements from Kotobukiya's Modeling Support Goods line.

image.jpeg.c356eab6be7e64aeb55bbc27b1a3da20.jpeg

You can see an unboxing of this kit on my Tumblr feed here:
https://stevethefishdotnet.tumblr.com/post/166390759684/bandai-112-macross-valkyrie-lady-plamo-unboxing

Edited by SteveTheFish

9 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

I had collected all of those 12th scale figure kits by Imai but I sold them all at Book Off a year or so ago because I realized that I would never get around to ever building them. Proportions aren't very good, the hair looks a bit flat, etc. Hikaru's supposed to have messy cowlick hair but the figure's hair looks pretty tame. 

I did keep my Bandai Macross Girl. The actual kit doesn't look as nice as the box art, but it's alright, I guess. It's made from that heavy, solid ABS plastic that those early '80s Tsukuda figure kits came in. It's not styrene. Plus it came with stickers. I scanned the sticker sheet and printed them onto clear laser printer decal paper. The engine bells on the fast pack are solid, so instead of trying to hollow them out with my router and make a mess of them, I think I'll just cut them off and use some replacements from Kotobukiya's Modeling Support Goods line.

https://stevethefishdotnet.tumblr.com/post/166390759684/bandai-112-macross-valkyrie-lady-plamo-unboxing

Have you thought about getting a 1/12 scale generic female figure and using that as a base for the kit parts? You'd definitely have to cut up the kit to separate the mech portions, but it could give it some more realistic proportions and make it posable.

39 minutes ago, Thom said:

Have you thought about getting a 1/12 scale generic female figure and using that as a base for the kit parts? You'd definitely have to cut up the kit to separate the mech portions, but it could give it some more realistic proportions and make it posable.

Good idea: I plan on doing that with a 1/6 Horizon vinyl Robocop model kit (as soon as I can find one that doesn't cost a mint!)

36 minutes ago, Thom said:

That actually sounds pretty cool. The parts on the old kits like that are fairly hollow and might not take a lot to attach the arm and leg armor to something like one of those kotobukiya kits or even a 30 minute sister. The body would probably need some work though, but there are some with head options that may look more like the artwork 

10 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

One problem with that figure is the hair's too flat (as you mentioned). If that head were to have some Milliput applied to the hair and sculpted to match the photos, the head would work much better. Also, some careful file work on the lower face/ jawline would help a lot to reshape her face and bring it into line with the boxart.

2 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Good idea: I plan on doing that with a 1/6 Horizon vinyl Robocop model kit (as soon as I can find one that doesn't cost a mint!)

I remember when those were super easy to find and weren’t that expensive. I used to have the old ED-209

On 11/3/2023 at 12:10 AM, Thom said:

Holy crap, that is an excellent idea. Maybe get a Bandai 30 Minute Sisters kit or something for that? I hadn't thought of that. Today I was busy adding ball joints to this old Imai Armored Valkyrie, so I'm gaining valuable experience points with leveling up my customization skills.

23 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Have you ever used vinyl paints? Nagashima's V-Color paints are the de-facto sofubi paints here in Japan, but apparently before the end of the year, GSI Creos will come out with their own line of sofubi paints. In North America, there's something called Mad Ape Ninja or something. IIRC, Aoshima once released a Robocop sofubi kit under their Skynet label. I dunno if it was originally from Tsukuda.

Edited by SteveTheFish

23 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

Holy crap, that is an excellent idea. Maybe get a Bandai 30 Minute Sisters kit or something for that? I hadn't thought of that. Today I was busy adding ball joints to this old Imai Armored Valkyrie, so I'm gaining valuable experience points with leveling up my customization skills.

Have you ever used vinyl paints? Nagashima's V-Color paints are the de-facto sofubi paints here in Japan, but apparently before the end of the year, GSI Creos will come out with their own line of sofubi paints. In North America, there's something called Mad Ape Ninja or something. IIRC, Aoshima once released a Robocop sofubi kit under their Skynet label. I dunno if it was originally from Tsukuda.

Haven't used vinyl paints in some time (Testors used to make a set). For Robocop, I planned on using foil HVAC tape burnished onto the parts and then sanded with ultrafine sandpaper and steel wool, then airbrushed with transparent colors for the final effects.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, SteveTheFish said:

I agree but I love the packaging. They gave Misa a chubby face.

• 3 months later...