Model Kit Collection Show It Off!!!

ChristopherB

On 4/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, Delta-One-One said:

@Shawn, I used to go to a place in London called Comet Miniatures (sadly closed now). I used to go there a lot and always bought Macross items when I was there. I hadn't been for years and I went there for old times sake. The owner remembered me, and I found 3 of the Nichimo kits I was missing. We chatted, then he said "Oh, I have something for you"! He came back with that box. He gave it to me.

I really, really miss that place. It had an Alladins cave down stairs chock full of different kits. Once in a while I would find a gem or two.

Thanks for that info! I could only imagine having the store owner being so nice that they gave you that box! OMG. 

I had a similar Hobby Store here in San Diego, called Models/Military Emporium, except that the owner scared the hell out of me. His store was really awesome, had all sorts of military models and figures and whatnot, and WAAAAY in the back he had the Japanese kits. I would save my lunch money and play skip school at lunch time and go grab Macross models. And every time I headed to the counter with my latest kit he had a built in scary scowl. LOL. I would have fell over dead from shock if he handed me a Nichimo Display Case!! :)

Model-Junkie-
Wow-100+ models is incredible!
I can't remember, but what is the difference between the ones you had and the event release versions? Drawing a blank!
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l491039136

Shawn

I've lost count over the years but my model kit collection is near 1000, most of them are 1/72 scale.  I need to take some photos once I get my spaced cleared up, everything is packed into large boxes and stacked on wire shelving units - my office and garage looks like a warehouse! 

I was doing 1/24, 1/72, 1/100, 1/144, 1/200 & 1/2500 scale kits before deciding to cut back, having no kids & mortgage for a while allowed me to dump all my disposable income into grabbing every kit I wanted.  Then I realized how much space I needed to build and display everything so I have spent the last few years cutting down on my hoard :))  It was a lot easier to accumulate than get rid of and I have a lot of multiples.  For example I have 20 VF-1Ds (anime box art version, Max & Milia Virgin Road version and the common boxing with the model photo), I have plans to build them in different markings of real squadrons.

Shawn, I did not own any of the white box event versions from my understanding they were the same as the full box art versions but may not have included the Model Graphix decals.  I heard mixed comments on whether they included the special decals per this thread.  I regret selling the clear blue VF-1J but they're the same plastic as the clear canopies and I was afraid they'd end up being brittle or dulling over time.

Edited by Model-Junkie
Editted comment about decals

Thanks for sharing guys! I love the Nichimo kits too! Its too bad they folded. Thankfully I got one of the re-issued box sets. They still don't have all the cool stuff like the rubber stamps. I also have some of the Testors reboxed kits from Nichimo with suction cups and green clear backdrops. The Nichimo box art is beautiful still today.

When I was back in Southern California, I found a comic book shop around 1990. They had a bunch of kits not selling so they marked them down cheap. Same thing, way back in the "attic" of the store where no one would see them. I bought all could afford! There were several Imai Macross kits and Mospeda kits. Then there were smaller toy stores selling off other anime kits like Orguss really cheap too. Ahhh, those were the good ole' days. :D - MT

Yep, the good ole' days.  I still have a bunch of 1/100 transformable valkryies from that era (with the metal hinge, landing gear and rubber wheels).  Good memories but I doubt I would ever build them now with so many great kits out since then.

I have just over 300 boxed kits (all stored out of the sun so no fading hopefully), and around 50 made kits (most posted on this forum). That's just the Macrosss/Robotech related stuff. Also a whole bunch of toys (some re-branded).

Slightly off topic, I also have all the comics - there used to be a comic shop not far from Comet Miniatures, and that was always my second port of call. I managed to pick up a box of Robotech trading cards there (one packet opened by someone unfortunately but otherwise full). I also would have loved the Macross VISA card - how cool is that! As far as I can tell it was never available in the UK. You guys in the US/Japan had much better access to Robotech/Macross kits back in the day. It never really took off here, and I only found out about it because I used to play Battletech and came across some of the re-boxed FASA kits. In fact some of the first Macross kits I made are done as Battletech units and not Macross. Marauder, Stinger, Stinger LAM, Centurion, Wasp, Spartan, Warhammer, and Phoenix Hawk. They also 'borrowed' Mech designs from Dougram and Crusher Joe. The FASA kits led me onto the only Robotech books I could find at the time (they were found in a local Sci-Fi shop called Blackwells - also sadly now gone).

20200414_065731.jpg

20200414_065742.jpg

20200414_065824.jpg

...and I just about finished this VF1-D.

Currently building a 1/48th VF-1J. Working out how to add lights using fibre optic. The wings and tails are done, but a lot more to still work out. Not much room to play with, and I don't really know what the results will be like. Still, it has to be tried!

20200414_103846(0).jpg

Your trainer is looking good. Arbit did this with lights: 

Yeah, the Battletech kits were cool! Some were reboxed Nichimo and Nitto kits. I had a few too including the Minerva.

I spent a total of ten years in the U.K. Sadly, there hardly was any Macross stuff there. I think it was Beatties that slashed a bunch of Southern Cross kits on sale. I scooped them up! - MT

@MechTech

Trents, then Beatties. I used to love that shop when it was around. I knew someone who worked there (I used to build their display kits for them). I got a few kits from them, but I mostly remember Xabungle kits being on their shelves.

That motorized VF-1J is some next level modelling! I'd struggle to do that in 1/48th, let alone 1/72nd. Mind you, in 1/48th scale the way the cockpit is put together is totally different and doesn't give me much room to work with - even with major hacking. I've done the wings and tails already (but I just couldn't see a way to do the formation lights - just not enough depth to the plastic to work with). The cockpit instrument panel is minute - I might be able to run some fibres but it won't be a lot. I have small LEDs for use on the MLG landing lights, and flickering ones for use on the engines.

When things quieten down I wouldn't mind getting a 1/20th scale Valkyrie - that has got to have some really interesting options for extreme modding!

20200415_095545.jpg

Just found this and ordered it.  Wonderfest VF-1 dynamic kit. This kit is "non scale". Does anyone know what scale it's closest to. Looks like 1/100...Would very much appreciate some knowledge on this.C500A89F-26A1-4DAB-B24D-D6EC4E27EC32.jpeg.bbcc01e5f5fa7a6983dcb38787a8972d.jpeg

Edited by Bolt

@ Delta One One

Trent's Hobby Shop or Burton on Trent (that's a good shop)? I STILL have paint with Beatie's price tags on it and some styrene sheets. Your valk looks like it's coming along great. - MT

That's cool Shawn! I always wanted to get those paints back in the day, but no one carried them. I was happy just to find Tamiya paints in stock anywhere. - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

Have you tried building any of the VFG kits? What is the skill level needed for those vs the regular Delta kits?
Are they difficult (meaning insanely small parts like the Hasegawa 1/72s vf-1s which are just frustrating)?

S

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Nice!

Have you tried building any of the VFG kits? What is the skill level needed for those vs the regular Delta kits?
Are they difficult (meaning insanely small parts like the Hasegawa 1/72s vf-1s which are just frustrating)?

S

Haven't touched the VFGs yet. I have a custom build I need 3? of them for. Right now I'm slowly working on the VF-31S Mikumo while most of my attention is on the Imperial Knight lance I'm building up.

For the hasegawa 31s, yeah the cockpit and nose section have insane levels of tiny parts. the rest is fine.

I hate the TV show "Hoarders", but this would be an episode I would watch:lol: My wife and daughter complains about the 20 large plastic containers of models I have (it protects them and made it easy to move them while in the military). With the whole virus thing going on, our monthly modeler's club meeting has gone weekly over Zoom. Seeing inside some people's houses looks almost like this video! Some of our members' "rooms" look like hobby shops -with- shelves! One guy has a large Craftsman tool cabinet. Every drawer is PACKED with paint! All the paints are grouped in shades. He must have thousands of dollars worth of paints - no over-emphasizing!

After our first virtual meeting, I told my wife she has NOTHING  to complain about with my "stash." Thanks for sharing Shawn! - MT

I just took five pictures that cover about 80% of my stash (total: 830 kits). It's not as bad as in those videos, because the stacks are tidy. I'll post the pictures later...

However, one of our club members, in his 60s and happily married, has a standard size Dutch house (approx. 140 square meters) that apparently is stacked floor to ceiling with model kits in every room, and it's impossible to move much in most of the rooms.

At the last model convention I went to before the virus hit, I overheard a discussion where a reseller explained that his stock had literally grown massively overnight after he was asked to empty a deceased modeller's house. What he had taken to the con not even half, he still had three entire rooms of kits from the deceased guy in storage...

• 1 month later...

Great posts and pictures, thanks to everyone who has kept the thread going.  You guys have some amazing Nichimo and Hasegawa collections.  Wow, I didn't even know about the paint sets Shawn, I hope you find #12.  Really nice collection of Delta valkyries Focslain!  :o

Hello, 

I hope everyone is doing well.  I haven't posted for a while, just been busy. I was also waiting for all of my packages to arrive, thanks to the lockdown delays.  This is a couple thousand dollars worth of kits, quite an investment.

Some pretty rare kits here, I was especially lucky to find the (7) I.H.P. 1/100 resin kits.  By the way, if anyone knows what their acronym name stands for, please let me know.  I need that information for my Macross Complete Model List (MCML) Project.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/46147-macross-model-complete-list-all-scales/

The MCML Project has more than 1,500 entries and has been prepared using Google Doc as a spreadsheet.  It's very thorough, and has (9) columns of information for each entry.  We've added links and are currently working on sample pictures so you can see what each entry is.  Plus a picture of how the kit will look when completed. Here is a sample entry:

1.) BRAND  2.) SERIES  3.) SCALE  4.) MODEL NAME/ARMOR TYPE  5.) CHARACTER/LIVERY  6.) MODE/TYPE  7.) MATERIAL  8.) RELEASE TYPE  9.) NOTES

1.) Ahnitol  2.) SDFM  3.) 1/72  4.) VF-1J  5.) Hikaru Ichijo  6.) B-mode  7.) Resin  8.) Event  9.) WonFes 2010

The Model Graphix magazine has a section on scratch builds to include the awesome Orange Collection kits, which I hope to post more about soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will post more information/pictures of the individual kits.  Thanks and hope you enjoy!  8)

IMG_20200613_141204.thumb.jpg.040bedb22636d0c6ab4947ca1dc3b232.jpg

IMG_20200202_192059.jpg

IMG_20200612_114039.jpg

IMG_20200614_123426.jpg

IMG20200216192040.jpg

Here is the recently completed Musasiya 1/72 VF-2SS with SAP and Mardook Battle Pods.  There are (3) pods, but an additional rod is needed to mount it. 

As well as the very rare and difficult to build full variable 1/100 VF-4G released by Studio Hafl Eye.  To be honest, I don't recall seeing another build of this kit or any other by SHE outside of Japan.  Much thanks to Tom for making these a reality!  :hi:

Musasiya 1-72 VF-2SS Valkyrie Completed (1).jpeg

Musasiya 1-72 VF-2SS Valkyrie Completed (2).jpeg

Musasiya 1-72 VF-2SS Valkyrie Completed (4).jpeg

SHE 1-100 VF-4G Project (1).jpg

SHE 1-100 VF-4G Project (2).jpg

SHE 1-100 VF-4G Project Completed (1).jpg

Edited by ChristopherB
O.C.D. & C.R.C. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder & Can't Remember Crap)

haha I love that comforter and your cat Shawn!  Thank you for posting the picture.  If you could post your two Regult upgrade kits here as well Shawn, that will be appreciated.  :hi:  We need the manufacturer name as well for the MCML Project.

Great eyes TheLoneWolf spotting that kit at the bottom, it's one of my favorites.  Yes, to my knowledge Experten is the only company to release the VF-1AR/JR/SR.  I'm so happy that they did, because I love the design.  Fortunately, I was able to get (2) kits as well as some others.  Here's some additional pictures of the parts, plus the Experten VF-1S FAST Pack set.  The Experten 1/100  VF-1(A/J/S) valkyrie is sold separately, but I'll be showing the parts that came with the GBP-1 package. 

The Experten 1/100 VF-1J & GBP-1 set was quite expensive, almost $500 not including shipping/customs if I recall correctly.  I'm also including pictures from Experten showing a VF-1JR.  Lastly, I was able to obtain the complete set of (8) Tanmen UNCM resin valkyries to include the very cute SD versions.  They're MISB and perfect condition.  Thank you!  8)

PS:  Inspired by Shawn, and in honor of my mom's 75th birthday next month, I took a couple of pictures on top of a floral quilt handmade by her.  She lives in Texas, and has been sewing them for around (20) years.  :good:

IMG_20200618_131150.jpg

Experten 1-100 VF-1 Super Pack (1).jpg

IMG20200618132354.jpg

Experten 1-100 VF-1AR & JR & SR (1).jpeg

Experten 1-100 VF-1AR & JR & SR (2).jpeg

Experten 1-100 VF-1AR & JR & SR (3).jpeg

IMG_20200618_141803.jpg

Experten 1-100 VF-1 GBP-1 (1).jpg

Tanmen Kit Collection (6).jpeg

Tanmen Kit Collection (4).jpeg

Tanmen Kit Collection (5).jpeg

Tanmen Kit Collection (7).jpeg