Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

11 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Anime News Network writeup.

Key visual:

mainvisual_movie.jpg

Looks like Arad is getting an Armored Pack for his VF-31S!

Ah, I can only hope this'll be the reverse of the Macross Frontier movies sparing Michael Blanc... and they'll actually whack Makina, Reina, and maybe a few other deadweight flat characters in the cast.  The trailer's underwhelming as hell compared to even the teaser trailer for Macross Delta's TV series.  

3 minutes ago, locidm said:

Not sure if I'm reading too much into the poster, where Hayate and Mirage doesn't even get a face shot. Hope it doesn't mean Mirage gets a lesser role in the movie!!

Mirage? That name seems familiar, but I don't remember... Is she one of the Bridge bunnys?

40 minutes ago, locidm said:

Not sure if I'm reading too much into the poster, where Hayate and Mirage doesn't even get a face shot. Hope it doesn't mean Mirage gets a lesser role in the movie!!

Plot twist. To save on production time, Mirage and Hayate's character have been combined. Mirage, now taking the spotlight, feels down due to the pressure of living up to her family name. That is until she meets a hopeful young idol Freyja and they together walk the path of pilot and star.

Mirage, Freyja, Mikumo triangle certain. :p lmao ('Least Mirage would have a plot this round.)

Edited by Rock

1 hour ago, locidm said:

I'm not surprised if they will have lesser role. Besides, Macross Delta was all about Walküre... and the cool pilot-less Valkyries. ^_^ 

47 minutes ago, Tallman said:

Makina looks like injured in poster...oh no...

She got injured before the series end. 

3 hours ago, arbit said:

I hope he gets a story line to go with it!

So, Arad going out for revenge after Windermere conquers Ragna and cuts him off from his supply of jellyfish snacks?

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ah, I can only hope this'll be the reverse of the Macross Frontier movies sparing Michael Blanc... and they'll actually whack Makina, Reina, and maybe a few other deadweight flat characters in the cast.  The trailer's underwhelming as hell compared to even the teaser trailer for Macross Delta's TV series.  

Amen to that.  Death tends to lead to more gravitas usually, but in the case of Delta, I'll just settle for reduction of trash.

People who need to die...

UN SPACY/CHAOS side:

Makina

Reina

Kaname (yes, she needs to go, no need for the one who is grieving for the dead potential boyfriend)

Chuck

Chuck's extended family

Arad (I'm actually torn about him, but given how much of a prop he was, take him out, and we are still several characters too many)

Windermeran side:

The evil twin brothers

Master Hermann

The little kid who was king (yes, I can't remember his name, that's how forgettable he was)

The only one who must survive is Bogue.

Edited by kalvasflam

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Amen to that.  Death tends to lead to more gravitas usually, but in the case of Delta, I'll just settle for reduction of trash.

Jesus, you guys are grim. :D

No one needs to DIE, the story just needs more focus and some fat-trimming. Except for Messer. He needs to die all the times.

Edited by kajnrig

9 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Someone check if George R.R. Martin's died in his sleep.  I think kalvasflam's channeling him.

Killing off a character who hasn't been developed at all doesn't have any weight to it.  To really make it effective you have to care about the character before the author kills them like Fred Weasley or Maes Hughes or Roy Focker.  Wiping out redshirts and the background characters doesn't create much impact on the audience.  It's hard to care about a character who had only 2 lines and one character trait like "he likes jam".  Like when Hayate shot down that Windermere kid early on and everybody forgot about it 5 minutes later or when Messer died and they tried to eulogize him like a great friend even when his only trait was being a massive jerk.

I can get behind killing Makina to break Reina or Reina to break Makina though.  They're important enough even though they're not developed that it'll have an impact.  If they really want to tug our heartstrings they'll have Freyja sing herself to death to stop Roid.

7 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

Someone check if George R.R. Martin's died in his sleep.  I think kalvasflam's channeling him.

Killing off a character who hasn't been developed at all doesn't have any weight to it.  To really make it effective you have to care about the character before the author kills them like Fred Weasley or Maes Hughes or Roy Focker.  Wiping out redshirts and the background characters doesn't create much impact on the audience.  It's hard to care about a character who had only 2 lines and one character trait like "he likes jam".  Like when Hayate shot down that Windermere kid early on and everybody forgot about it 5 minutes later or when Messer died and they tried to eulogize him like a great friend even when his only trait was being a massive jerk.

I can get behind killing Makina to break Reina or Reina to break Makina though.  They're important enough even though they're not developed that it'll have an impact.  If they really want to tug our heartstrings they'll have Freyja sing herself to death to stop Roid.

Or we take a page from the Physica and spend an entire episode developing him and his desire to get back to his wife and kid so he can then be tragically killed off before revealing his wife moved on already anyway and his kid likely will not remember him. Macross 7 could be harsh at times lol. 

7 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Or we take a page from the Physica and spend an entire episode developing him and his desire to get back to his wife and kid so he can then be tragically killed off before revealing his wife moved on already anyway and his kid likely will not remember him. Macross 7 could be harsh at times lol. 

Woah.  I didn't remember that part. :o 

That's pretty dark for such a happy go lucky show.

Just now, jenius said:

Mirage should die... It would topple the order to kill off a Jenius.

It would upset the order of things to kill a good Jenius.  Mirage is basically a mauve shirt.

I'd like to see her get fair time in the love triangle in the movie but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

2 hours ago, BlackRose said:

Killing off a character who hasn't been developed at all doesn't have any weight to it.  To really make it effective you have to care about the character before the author kills them like Fred Weasley or Maes Hughes or Roy Focker.  Wiping out redshirts and the background characters doesn't create much impact on the audience. 

I agree with this, but my point is that most of these characters that were thrown in may as well have been redshirts, they make token appearances in the episode, and in general are there just to kill time instead of developing the main story line or lead characters.  Just look at Chuck, he is basically a Kakizaki that lived.  I mean, fine for Chuck, but who cares.  All he does is chime in with the occasional "underwater attacks, or Isoge..." The whole point of which is to suck up screen time when other characters need better development.  The whole idea of Walkure is more a cross marketing effort to develop a J-pop group than trying to work up a story line in the show.  Fine, Reina can hack, Makina can fix airplanes... do we actually care?

Edited by kalvasflam

56 minutes ago, jenius said:

Mirage should die... It would topple the order to kill off a Jenius.

53 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

It would upset the order of things to kill a good Jenius.  Mirage is basically a mauve shirt.

Nah, Mirage is bulletproof... they'll never let this one out of the gate without a proper romantic foil for Freyja.  It might've been workable if Mirage hadn't been made the serious girl in the obligatory love triangle.

(Also she's more maroon than mauve... but hey.)

31 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Wind terrorists need to suffer and die for their crimes. 

Well, they've got the dying part down in the series... what with King Grammier, Qasim, Roid, and Keith all dying and Heinz at death's door due to overuse of his rune.  All the architects of the war have been killed.  The only Aerial Knight aces left are the ones who either opposed the campaign against the New UN Government or were spreading Walkure fandom around behind the scenes.

Safe bet they'll be suffering after the war ended as well.  Their Kingdom of the Wind's government is either an absolute monarchy or very close to it, and the royal family is on the brink of dying out.  Its economy is in tatters with its only marketable exports unsellable for health reasons.  To put the cherry on it, their source of technological aid bailed on them, so they have no way to even mount a new offensive or keep their existing aircraft operating for very long.

12 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

I agree with this, but my point is that most of these characters that were thrown in may as well have been redshirts, they make token appearances in the episode, and in general are there just to kill time instead of developing the main story line or lead characters.

True, the ones you listed didn't really do much of anything in the show.  I'd just cut them, rather than kill them off.

12 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Fine, Reina can hack, Makina can fix airplanes... do we actually care?

Can they?  Reina works for Xaos because she got busted after failing to hack them and she only succeeds when Roid lets her.  Makina never does anything with airplanes in the show except call one of them cute.

51 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

Can they?  Reina works for Xaos because she got busted after failing to hack them and she only succeeds when Roid lets her.  Makina never does anything with airplanes in the show except call one of them cute.

Actually Makina comes from a family of mechanics, granted the most she does in the series is being seen grease monkeying in the opening and building Hayate's custom EX gear, but she's mostly a fan-service checkbox for sure.