Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

16 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

Hi. Thanks for all your corrections. My Remix sales figures are unofficial. I got them from a fan's YouTube video.

So, probably from Comichron... albeit indirectly.

16 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

A podcaster and blogger at RT dot com with relationships with the creators of Remix feels Remix is not cancelled.

... there are still Robotech fans who think Harmony Gold is going to one day go back and finish Robotech II: the Sentinels.  I wouldn't take their blind optimism seriously.

15 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I get that the Macross Saga is the most popular, but they need to do something to move on. Or atleast move forward and not keep rehashing the events of the Macross Saga. World Events have the same problem with Voltron. They stuck with the Lions and now they're also fighting to stay relevant.

Like Voltron, they keep coming back to the one and only part of the series that was actually well-liked by its audience.

They literally can't move on from it, because it's the only part of the franchise that makes money and that's mainly just from nostalgia.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I get that the Macross Saga is the most popular, but they need to do something to move on. Or atleast move forward and not keep rehashing the events of the Macross Saga. World Events have the same problem with Voltron. They stuck with the Lions and now they're also fighting to stay relevant.

I thought Volton: Legendary Defender on Netflix  was actually successful.  Also for those still keeping track, so far the last Robotech product with a story that actually finished its run is still the Voltron crossover.  Coincidentally, alternate universes was a major plot point for it, and it might as well been an inspiration for this venture.

21 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Spoiler Alert for Robotech Remix Issue 5 which is not published at the time of this writing.

Hide contents

1. In the remix timeline it seems as if Persy Satori and Max are married or at least have children. Max and Miriya have a contentious relationship. Maybe in future issues Persy was going to die a hero’s self-sacrificing maternal death. This would leave Max a widower, heartbroken, and romantically vulnerable. Remix timeline Miriya could come sweeping in and nurture our boy back to alpha male status. Nova and Aurora Sterling already seem to have a special fondness for Miriya so she would be their stepmom. A reconciliation between Max and Miriya would lead to the conception of fetus Dana. A likely heartwarming final panel of the final issue would be Dana waving goodbye to Max, Aurora, Nova, and a pregnant Miriya as Dana climbs into some kind of trans-dimensional spacecraft and heads back to her original timeline. Of course Dana would probably speak to fetus Dana inside Miriya’s uterus as she feels the baby kick. On a side note, in Episode 50 of the tv series there was an error in adaptation from the Japanese scripts and Dana says she left behind her younger brother. I suppose Nova could now be fetus Dana’s older brother. This almost resolves and retcons a loose plot thread at least for this splinter timeline. Nova Satori would still be an unrelated female character in the original timeline. Aurora is secondary canon from the novels. Maia Sterling is official canon. Remix canon is now… canon remixed.

Everybody pretty much guessed that Persy was the Mother of Max's kids. God only knows why they made it such a secret. Plus the favorite theory is that is already dead. Otherwise Dana would have no reason to have Miriya babysit the kids. She would just bring them home to their Mother. Kind of weird to unceremoniously kill off a character that they created and introduced in the previous series.

Edited by JohnMc

Robotech, when it aired in 1986, become the world's very first AU... if you think about it.

21 hours ago, Einherjar said:

I thought Volton: Legendary Defender on Netflix  was actually successful.

It was.  But that's the point he's making... the ONLY successful part of Voltron is the part that's repeatedly adapting Beast King GoLion, just like the only part of Robotech that's successful is the part adapted from Super Dimension Fortress Macross.  Nobody gives a damn about the other Voltron that was adapted from Armored Fleet Dairugger XV, just like nobody gives a damn about Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.

5 hours ago, TehPW said:

Robotech, when it aired in 1986, become the world's very first AU... if you think about it.

The oldest case of this that I know of is from 1939.

A Moscow University professor named Alexander Melentyevich Volkov produced a Robotech-esque translation/adaptation of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz in 1939 under the title The Wizard of the Emerald City.  It was so well-received in the Soviet Union that Volkov produced five original sequels for it: Urfin Jus and his Wooden SoldiersThe Seven Underground KingsThe Firey Gods of the MarransThe Yellow Fog, and The Secret of the Abandoned Castle.  

(This is assuming you want to count only official commercialized media... otherwise the oldest case I know of is Sherlock Holmes fan fiction written in the late 19th and early 20th centuries shortly after Doyle killed Holmes off in The Final Problem in 1893.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nobody gives a damn about the other Voltron that was adapted from Armored Fleet Dairugger XV

They did hint at the vehicle voltron at the end of Legendary Defender. So if they continue it, maybe?

Plus, they did produce an updated toy of Dairugger under Bandai’s SOC line.

But Robotech’s pretty much a dead franchise at this point.

8 minutes ago, Focslain said:

They did hint at the vehicle voltron at the end of Legendary Defender. So if they continue it, maybe?

They always tease doing a sequel series with Vehicle Voltron, but it never happens so teases like at the end of LD just come across as another Middle Finger to Vehicle fans.

7 minutes ago, Mog said:

I love Soul of Chogokin Vehicle Voltron [ 1 have two] but both Robotech and Voltron are brands that have one foot in the grave and the other on the banana peel because they have been run into the ground by incompetents over the decades.

Nah, Legendary Defender will go down as one of those sneaky good, under the radar series.

It struck a nice balance between homaging the old series (both the original anime and the US adaptation) and standing up as its own thing.*  

That’s not something you can say about any Robotech follow-up.

I’d be curious to see if they did do a follow up series with the vehicles.  And I can see them doing something that kinda ties back to Dairugger’s original premise.

But I’d speculate that it’s Netflix dropping the ball and the creators not having the itch to come up with a follow-up story that resulted in this oversight.

* I’ll concede that things on the toy front kinda suck for LD.  Would love to see the LD Voltron and the Sincline combiner given the SOC treatment.

3 hours ago, Mog said:

Nah, Legendary Defender will go down as one of those sneaky good, under the radar series.

It struck a nice balance between homaging the old series (both the original anime and the US adaptation) and standing up as its own thing.*  

8 seasons, 78 episodes, in the span of under 2 years on Netflix? Of course the staff deserves a long rest even if there are plans for a continuation.  That's an accomplishment even without the accolades.

4 hours ago, Mog said:

adfasedrfafds.png

Don't know what you are talking about, Gerli.  They obviously green-lit this comic and had no shame about its quality, the unfortunate implications it had in-universe past and future, and how it and other questionable things about its promotion put together would make the people who genuinely liked the franchise mad.

17 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Don't know what you are talking about, Gerli.  They obviously green-lit this comic and had no shame about its quality, [...]

> implying Harmony Gold is capable of feeling shame

17 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

[...] the unfortunate implications it had in-universe past and future, and how it and other questionable things about its promotion put together would make the people who genuinely liked the franchise mad.

Really, it's the quintessential Robotech setting... there's no chance for peace, love, or understanding in the universe because everyone has been driven mad by their lust for the ultimate power and nobody will suffer someone else to possess it.  So it's just an unrelenting string of gritty, grimdark genocidal wars of conquest.  Basically WH40K Lite.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:27 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

unrelenting string of .... genocidal wars of conquest

You say that as if it were a bad thing but in sci-fi/fantasy that's the ONLY thing.

there's no chance for peace, love, or understanding in the universe

Well if you werent bored to tears by  say ...Star Trek's endless encounters with peacenik wrinkled nose aliens then I dont know.

Peace, love and ubderstanding is fine in reality, but its not very entertaining.

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

You say that as if it were a bad thing but in sci-fi/fantasy that's the ONLY thing.

You must not have read/watched much science fiction then.

Granted, that kind of thing is pretty standard fare in fantasy... and I blame J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings for becoming the encyclopedia of Standard Fantasy Tropes.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You must not have read/watched much science fiction then.

No,  I just wont read or watch anything that doesnt contain sufficient quantities of militaristic conflict.

I pretty much avoid female authors completely now - after many disappointing reads - even when they write battles the focus is all wrong.

Its as if they dont glory indestruction.

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Suggestions on the no war sci-fi? I have credits to use on Audible.

Almost all of the Asimov robot stories.  When there is war it is usually in the background.  The Foundation stories (ditto - though there are some books that deal directly with war in that series).  A lot of Star Trek books are not about war but do have conflict.  A number of other SciFi books are about world building and discovering/exploring a planet or system with no war.  The latest RCN story had conflict but no war (but it was not one of the better ones in the series).  Being a mainly military scifi reader I don't gravitate to others all that often but the Robot series by Asimov is excellent.

22 hours ago, Focslain said:

Suggestions on the no war sci-fi? I have credits to use on Audible.

The Grand Tour Series by Ben Bova is a good, mostly non-war, series.  Be aware though, he wrote it out of order and abundant retcons as a result.  Still, a great series.
The Known Space Series by Larry Niven.  There are references to earlier wars, and books written about the Man-Kzin Wars, but most it takes place before and after that conflict.
Numerous Timothy Zahn books have nothing to do with war and are old school sci-fi adventures or mysteries.
So many more.

20 hours ago, Podtastic said:

No,  I just wont read or watch anything that doesnt contain sufficient quantities of militaristic conflict.

I pretty much avoid female authors completely now - after many disappointing reads - even when they write battles the focus is all wrong.

Its as if they dont glory indestruction.

That's a pretty narrow mindset.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look up Foundation and the Zahn books. I enjoyed his Thrawn Trilogy so he has cred. Foundation seems to be something of a Crichton in sci-fi as I've seen it mentioned alot. The others I'll hit in due order.

18 hours ago, Knight26 said:

That's a pretty narrow mindset.

A result of my nuturing no doubt.

I also love wildlife docs - but not those about herbivores grazing obviously.

Even so there is still way too much material given the limited resources we all have ito time and money.

You have to focus on what you are passionate about.

As for a reading list, some books i would recommend:

. Magician (Feist)

. The Belgariad (Eddings)

. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Donalson) 

. The War for Eternity (Rowley)

. The Blackship (Rowley)

. Starhammer (Rowley)

. The Vang the Military form (Rowley)

. Consider Phlebas  (Banks)

. Startide Rising (Brin)

. Who Goes There (Campbell)

. The War of the Worlds (Wells)

. The World War series (Turtledove)

. The Reality Dysfunction (Hamilton)

. Earthsea (Le Guin)

. Harpist in the Wind  (McKillip)

Edited by Podtastic

On 5/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, Dynaman said:

Almost all of the Asimov robot stories.  When there is war it is usually in the background.  The Foundation stories (ditto - though there are some books that deal directly with war in that series).  A lot of Star Trek books are not about war but do have conflict.  A number of other SciFi books are about world building and discovering/exploring a planet or system with no war.  The latest RCN story had conflict but no war (but it was not one of the better ones in the series).  Being a mainly military scifi reader I don't gravitate to others all that often but the Robot series by Asimov is excellent.

Love Foundation especially since he tried wrapping it all into the Robots.

Another suggestion: A whole lot of Phillip K. Dick. Most of his stories are about the questioning of reality and very rarely have genocidal wars (I guess Technically The Man in the High Castle does...lol).

6 minutes ago, vladykins said:

Love Foundation especially since he tried wrapping it all into the Robots.

Another suggestion: A whole lot of Phillip K. Dick. Most of his stories are about the questioning of reality and very rarely have genocidal wars (I guess Technically The Man in the High Castle does...lol).

Tried some Foundation but you quickly realise its a 50's series. Not a bad thing - just got a little confused by the awe given to atomics until I checked the publication date.

Who would've expected a thread devoted to pointing and laughing at Robotech comics to evolve into an informed discussion of literary sci-fi?  :lol:

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Tried some Foundation but you quickly realise its a 50's series.

So many of our modern science-fiction tropes were born in the '50s, and it was really a golden age of sci-fi.  Actual ideas were explored, as opposed to just using the genre to tell horror tales or war stories.

One of my favorites is Philip Wylie's The Disappearance, which explores what would've happened to society if (in 1951) every woman suddenly vanished, and how the male population would cope (and in alternating chapters, what would happen if every man suddenly vanished, and how the female population would cope).  My favorite bit comes when our female protagonist considers the resulting societal collapse, the failure of industry in a world without men, and imagines how much better off men would be in their situation...

...while, in the alternate universe the men inhabit, they're busy lobbing nuclear missiles at each other.  :unsure:

I trying to make a fangame of Robotech, but I don't know I will receive a C&D e-mail or have much beta testers.

The story is setting in another solar system with some people inspired by Lin Kaifun' ideology, with some problems with zentaedis and hydonites.

The models made in Unity3D and gameplay using Macross Delta Scramble from PsVita

On 5/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, tekering said:

Who would've expected a thread devoted to pointing and laughing at Robotech comics to evolve into an informed discussion of literary sci-fi?  :lol:

So many of our modern science-fiction tropes were born in the '50s, and it was really a golden age of sci-fi.  Actual ideas were explored, as opposed to just using the genre to tell horror tales or war stories.

One of my favorites is Philip Wylie's The Disappearance, which explores what would've happened to society if (in 1951) every woman suddenly vanished, and how the male population would cope (and in alternating chapters, what would happen if every man suddenly vanished, and how the female population would cope).  My favorite bit comes when our female protagonist considers the resulting societal collapse, the failure of industry in a world without men, and imagines how much better off men would be in their situation...

...while, in the alternate universe the men inhabit, they're busy lobbing nuclear missiles at each other.  :unsure:

While 50's sci-fi is mainly not what I read, I sure do listen to a lot of it. (Particularly because its free. And you can do stuff on your pc / with your kits while listening)

Proper Accuser Armour.jpg

(Colouring of awesome Leo Matos pencils while listening to Foundation audio drama)

One thing I like about it is (what comes across to me as) the general wholesomeness of the cultural values at the time.  

Edited by Podtastic

On 5/22/2020 at 12:22 PM, Old_Nash said:

I trying to make a fangame of Robotech, but I don't know I will receive a C&D e-mail or have much beta testers.

The story is setting in another solar system with some people inspired by Lin Kaifun' ideology, with some problems with zentaedis and hydonites.

The models made in Unity3D and gameplay using Macross Delta Scramble from PsVita

Wrong forum to seek advice on that .... but I give you one for free: don't waste your time in Robotech.

Good luck!

On 5/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, Focslain said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look up Foundation and the Zahn books. I enjoyed his Thrawn Trilogy so he has cred. Foundation seems to be something of a Crichton in sci-fi as I've seen it mentioned alot. The others I'll hit in due order.

With Zahn I'd start with Icarus Hunt. It's a nice little self contained sci-fi mystery book.

22 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

With Zahn I'd start with Icarus Hunt. It's a nice little self contained sci-fi mystery 

Much as I like Thrawn I wasn't particulary impressed by Zahn's Star Wars books. Is he any better outside the genre?

Edited by Podtastic

On 5/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, JohnMc said:

I love Soul of Chogokin Vehicle Voltron [ 1 have two] but both Robotech and Voltron are brands that have one foot in the grave and the other on the banana peel because they have been run into the ground by incompetents over the decades.

To add; IMHO, Dairugger is a much better anime to watch than Vehicle Voltron.

3 hours ago, blackconvoy_D01 said:

To add; IMHO, Dairugger is a much better anime to watch than Vehicle Voltron.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out while we're waiting for our guilty pleasure to return.

Speaking of the Titan Comics Robotech series they're having a 66% sale. Anybody Max/Miriya fans need toilet paper?

25 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Speaking of the Titan Comics Robotech series they're having a 66% sale. Anybody Max/Miriya fans need toilet paper?

Unless there's been a run on 20-grit sandpaper, I doubt anyone would want to use something quite that unpleasant.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

tumblr_mz181ybnW31s40tcxo1_500.png

No.  You know someone really screwed up when Macross 7 is a better story.

Edited by Einherjar