Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

40 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Here I was thinking the prodigal child was returning with another cover, but that was... random.

Edited by kajnrig

42 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

What makes me mad is that instead of simply upgrading the art they decided to libtardise the story and @#$ the art.

Not sure what you're on about WRT the story... but then, I'm honestly not convinced there actually is a story.  I'm halfway to believing that this is just another one of the Defense Intelligence Agency's insane black projects, except this time they're trying to weaponize bad art instead of woo bullsh*t like psychic powers.

We didnt deserve that we at least deserved art like this:

It's Robotech, FFS.  What we deserve is for them to stop flogging a horse that died in '86 and stand aside so we can have some proper bloody Macross in the West.  Anyone who hasn't learned by now to expect disappointment from Robotech probably deserves to be disappointed.

The cover of issue 10 would be epic if done by a decent artist.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Complaining about a lack of quality in Robotech is like going to the zoo and getting upset because they don't have a manticore. :p 

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Please keep your crap politics to yourself.

But that's exactly the comment that should be going to them. Keep politics out of comics. Don't change things for "PC".

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's Robotech, FFS.  What we deserve is for them to stop flogging a horse that died in '86 and stand aside so we can have some proper bloody Macross in the West.  Anyone who hasn't learned by now to expect disappointment from Robotech probably deserves to be disappointed

Except...no Bioroids or Invid or SDFM Zentraedi anymore... and Windermear.:(

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Except...no Bioroids or Invid or SDFM Zentraedi anymore...

Yes, but we'd have Protodeviln!  And Zolans!  And... Vajra!  And... space whales...  :unsure:

Okay, never mind.  Macross is actually pretty lame when it comes to aliens.  <_<

I guess we were better off with Bioroids and Invid.  

But that's exactly the comment that should be going to them. Keep politics out of comics. Don't change things for "PC".

Except...no Bioroids or Invid or SDFM Zentraedi anymore... and Windermear.:(

But Macross had lots of politics...I mean, Kaifun says 'Hello!' :lol:

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

As hard as I look, I can't see anything in this dreary mess that is remotely political.  It's just a badly written gritty reboot fic, a slightly different aesthetic riff on the same old schlock that Robotech was peddling in the 90's comics.

Except...no Bioroids or Invid [...]

Well, yes... that IS a strong argument in Macross's favor.

I mean, who's going to sit down to watch Macross and say "Y'know what this character drama and fast-paced dogfighting action needs?  A halfassed Zaku knockoff and some space lobsters who are completely devoid of intellect or personality until they evolve into a halfassed Zentradi knockoff!"?  Riveting stuff that ain't.

Spoiler

I mean, who are we kidding here?  This is, almost without exaggeration, basically the ending of the Robotech "New Generation" saga:

(The Futurama parallels get funnier when you realize that [Claude Leon/Eli Anatole Leonard] and Zap Brannigan are basically the same character, just one is played for laughs and one is played dead straight.  They even dress alike!)

[...] or SDFM Zentraedi anymore...

... did you miss that TV series Zentradi designs show up in Macross 7Macross FrontierMacross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy, and Macross Delta?

and Windermear.:(

Who, for all their faults, are still a million times more interesting and relatable than any "original" alien race from Robotech.

Let me be brutally honest here, the Sentinels aliens were Planet of the Cliches stock monsters that would've been considered too embarrassingly lame for inclusion in the legendarily camp Star Trek cartoon.  Pretty much what you'd expect in series with a creative director who thinks L. Ron Hubbard is good sci-fi.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Yes, but we'd have Protodeviln!  And Zolans!  And... Vajra!  And... space whales...  :unsure:

There's no excusing the Space Kaij... er... Protodeviln.  But the Zolans had their quaint charm and the Vajra managed to be pretty intimidating despite not being the actual villains of their series. 

Podtastic's statement was just kind of poorly thought-out all around, I think that's something we can all agree on.

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

FOR THE GHOST OF CARL MACEK!!!!!

So... I was forgiving of the art for the most part...

And I mean... It's fine. It's fiiiine. It's fine. They're fine. It's fine.

It's fine.

18 minutes ago, BeyondTheGrave said:

Is he/she pounding Max or throwing a punch?

She'll be doing both, eventually. ;)

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

Cover._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Is it just me or does she look like Rick Sanchez in a bad wig?

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

So, everyone is also ok with Rethuglicans I take it? 

Those downvotes on the comment that dragged politics into this didn't come out of nowhere... that's a fair indicator of where folks stand.  Better we leave it at that and keep the discussion of real world politics out of this entirely.

16 hours ago, tekering said:

Okay, never mind.  Macross is actually pretty lame when it comes to aliens.  <_<

I guess we were better off with Bioroids and Invid.  

Don't forget the Ragnarians and Voldorians

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

So... I was forgiving of the art for the most part...

And I mean... It's fine. It's fiiiine. It's fine. They're fine. It's fine.

It's fine.

658.png

3 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :bad:

7 minutes ago, azrael said:

That’s Miriya? Really? No. Really? Really? Miriya? Sure that’s not Khyron? You sure? Positive? No! Really? :blink:

I honestly thought it was him at first glance, and second, and third. It took a good while for my eyes to move from the facial expression to the hair color.

That's the cover art?  I mean, the only "good" thing about most of these comics has been the covers.  They look like an actual artist did them, just maybe not for full pay.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

That's the cover art?  I mean, the only "good" thing about most of these comics has been the covers.  They look like an actual artist did them, just maybe not for full pay.

I hope this not the principal cover

I find this "variant"

https://www.darksidecomics.com/content/robotech-10-cvr-c-laren#sthash.c4DJGUnA.dpbs

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎02 at 10:30 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Not sure what you're on about WRT the story

They replaced Gloval with Lisa which didn't happen in the original. Why is that? Mb for the same reasons that other existing characters keep getting changed in comics lately? They're messing with my beloved nostalgia.

17 hours ago, Einherjar said:

especially the trivialized misogyny at this point.

Not a focus.

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

A halfassed Zaku knockoff and some space lobsters

Comparing a Zaku and a Bioroid? Other than both being sort humanoid in shape the Bioroid is vastly different to Zaku in every conceivable way:

- The Bioroid responds directly to signals from the pilots brain and can respond reflexively as if it is the pilots own body. Zaku is piloted with manual controls via a standard mecha cockpit.

- The Bioroid is as agile and acrobatic as its pilot and can do somersaults in combat. MB a Zaku can do that?

- The Bioroid looks absolute great, every part of it is beautiful. The Zaku looks ok. (I do like Gundam but have no desire to grab a Zaku. I would cancel some of my stuff on order to grab an HMR articulated Bioroid for sure.)

- Both Blue and Red Bioroids have iconic alien looking weapons. I cant even remember what the Zaku weapon looks like.

The Inbit/Invid  designs are just as cool.

fast-paced dogfighting action needs

No we must have this...but I don't care if its just mehroplanes.

... did you miss that TV series Zentradi designs show up in Macross 7Macross FrontierMacross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy, and Macross Delta?

You mean like that seen in Frontier where Alto and Klan fight in a Zentraedi "graveyard"? No I don't miss those I just want to see much more of the original designs and look that's all.

Who, for all their faults, are still a million times more interesting and relatable than any "original" alien race from Robotech.

I literally had to battle to stay awake during any extended Windsmearean scene. Couldn't relate to them at all. I did find the Garudans and Spherisians mildly interesting in the novels.

Pretty much what you'd expect in series with a creative director who thinks L. Ron Hubbard is good sci-fi.

Um, it isn't..but...I did like a few things from the first half of the Battlefield Earth novel. I  imagined the Psychlo to look a bit like Grizzlor meets General Ursus rather than what we saw in that horrible movie.

I also liked the Psychlo rebreather mask look on the original cover and the purple interior of the Pschlyo battletanks.

But I digress.

Vajra managed to be pretty intimidating

I do like them.  I Might even get one if they start making them.

Edited by Podtastic

- The Bioroid looks absolute great, every part of it is beautiful.

Really? really?? REALLY???

latest?cb=20121030015231

Also, it's gun looks like a hand-held waffle iron.

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

They replaced Gloval with Lisa which didn't happen in the original.

... that's what's got your knickers in a twist? :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

Why is that? Mb for the same reasons that other existing characters keep getting changed in comics lately? They're messing with my beloved nostalgia.

Oh, I expect the motivations are largely the same.  If you tell the same story over and over again with no lasting plot or character development and just start over every time you get stuck, you're going to lose audience members pretty quickly when they start getting bored of the same ol sh*t.  Minor freshenings like this are about the only way for new authors to make their mark on a series and try to liven things up when the mainstream American comic book industry is largely stagnant and sees maintaining the status quo as all-important.

Comparing a Zaku and a Bioroid? Other than both being sort humanoid in shape the Bioroid is vastly different to Zaku in every conceivable way:

Kinda missing the forest for the trees here.

The Bioroid is a pretty obvious imitation-brand Zaku in terms of its appearance, including having a higher-spec command model painted red.  When they're first introduced, they even do the Zaku's iconic glowing eye thing with the same sound effects.  (Seifreit himself does a pretty passable Char imitation, right down to the regicide he closes out the series with.)

- The Bioroid looks absolute great, every part of it is beautiful.

... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a line like that makes me want to question how much you've had to drink and how recently you last saw an optometrist.  It looks like a Zaku wearing a set of dollar store rugby pads and a novelty codpiece.

- Both Blue and Red Bioroids have iconic alien looking weapons. I cant even remember what the Zaku weapon looks like.

"Iconic" implies that it's distinctive and recognizable.  Definitely not a word that should ever be used in connection with Southern Cross, which was canceled because barely anyone could stand to watch it.

"Alien-looking" is pretty dubious too.  The regular Bioroid's gun was a keg with a handle that shot lasers out of the bung.  The red Bioroid's gun looked like a frying pan that shot lasers out of the handle.

The Inbit/Invid  designs are just as cool.

Granted, this is technically correct.  Neither of them is remotely cool.

You mean like that seen in Frontier where Alto and Klan fight in a Zentraedi "graveyard"? No I don't miss those I just want to see much more of the original designs and look that's all.

Actually I was referring to the usage of TV Zentradi character and equipment designs.  

Macross 7's in-series movie "Lynn Minmay Story" had a TV series ver. Quamzin.

Macross Frontier had TV series Zentradi body armor used by the NUNS 33rd Marines, and the rogue leader was the spitting image of TV Quamzin.

Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy straight-up had TV Quamzin as a major antagonist, and his body armor from the series was inexplicably depicted as a flight-capable powered suit used by the enemy Zentradi and was selectable for the player in New Game+.

Macross Delta also uses the TV Zentradi body armor for Zentradi ground troops.

That said, there isn't really any clamor for the original character designs (except maybe Quamzin) considering how goofy and dated they look.  It's hard to take them seriously when their style of dress says "fashion victim" rather than "clone soldier".

I literally had to battle to stay awake during any extended Windsmearean scene. Couldn't relate to them at all. I did find the Garudans and Spherisians mildly interesting in the novels.

Even Robotech fans struggle to take the novels seriously... Harmony Gold publicly disowned them as being Robotech-in-name-only eleven years ago.  The Sentinels aliens are such boring, shallow stock monsters that even when they revisited Sentinels in Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles they did their best to sweep the lot under the rug and forget they were ever a thing even after attempting to give them designs that looked less idiotic.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"Alien-looking" is pretty dubious too.  The regular Bioroid's gun was a keg with a handle that shot lasers out of the bung.  The red Bioroid's gun looked like a frying pan that shot lasers out of the handle.

At least the regular ones would be fun at parties. although I question why they have a hose running directly from their face to their crotch.

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

At least the regular ones would be fun at parties. although I question why they have a hose running directly from their face to their crotch.

Maybe the keg-gun is serving American beer, and they're big on recycling? :p 

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎04 at 2:55 PM, anime52k8 said:

Really? really?? REALLY???

latest?cb=20121030015231

Also, it's gun looks like a hand-held waffle iron.

Yes really, done properly an articulated Bioroid could be a gem.

http://hobbycom.jp/upimages/view/photo_sub_image/172801/fullsize

The gun always reminded me of a yoy-yo crossed with the old retractable extension cord my dad used to have.

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎04 at 5:03 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

you're going to lose audience members pretty quickly when they start getting bored of the same ol sh*t.  Minor freshenings like this are about the only way for new authors to make their mark on a series and try to liven things up when the mainstream American comic book industry is largely stagnant and sees maintaining the status quo as all-important.

Sad if gimmicks are required due to short attention spans.

Uh, are we looking at the same comic industry?  It seems that they are totally incapable of maintaining the status quo from where I am standing.

But then again you are talking to the guy who expects Powerman to still have that Afro. :lol: 

... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a line like that makes me want to question how much you've had to drink and how recently you last saw an optometrist.  It looks like a Zaku wearing a set of dollar store rugby pads and a novelty codpiece.

That it is. Of course I could say the same thing about your not liking the Bioroid, or the Invid/Inbit. Its clearly a matter of personal preference.

You have Rugby in the US?:mellow:

"Iconic" implies that it's distinctive and recognizable

It is.

"Alien-looking" is pretty dubious too.

Granted. Just about all the aliens/their stuff in media are just variations of humans/their stuff because we cant really relate to something REALLY ALIEN.

Exotic then.

That said, there isn't really any clamor for the original character designs (except maybe Quamzin) considering how goofy and dated they look.  It's hard to take them seriously when their style of dress says "fashion victim" rather than "clone soldier".

They are supposed to be aliens from an alien culture, how can they be "dated"? What period of human history were humans using Zentraedi stuff?

Could someone say "That Zentraedi helmet looks like the one your grand father used to wear in the 20's.", or "That Regult is sooo 1870."?

Macross Delta also uses the TV Zentradi body armor for Zentradi ground troops.

My only gripe there is that both the Zentraedi soldier and his armour look like they've been dipped in green dye.

I miss the old lavender and purple armour with verdant green visor. Simply for aesthetic reasons.

Even Robotech fans struggle to take the novels seriously... Harmony Gold publicly disowned them as being Robotech-in-name-only eleven years ago.  The Sentinels aliens are such boring, shallow stock monsters that even when they revisited Sentinels in Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles they did their best to sweep the lot under the rug and forget they were ever a thing even after attempting to give them designs that looked less idiotic.

Not sure how that is relevant to my tastes.

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎04 at 5:34 PM, Einherjar said:

Podtastic, did you know there was a Robotech Kickstarter years ago?

Yes. I missed it though.

I would have loved to see the Bioroids again but don't know if they would have been featured, or if featured, whether they would have stayed true to the original designs.

On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎04 at 8:09 PM, anime52k8 said:

I question why they have a hose running directly from their face to their crotch.

Don't know. It always reminds me of Manthing from some reason, who himself reminds me of an elephant.

I wonder if some of these designs aren't deliberately intended to evoke subconscious connotations.