2 hours ago, dizman said:

So it's a clashing of all pop culture in one movie for cool visuals? Gotta give em credit for getting so many franchises on board, here's hoping there's a good story to back up the CGI.

Book was fantastic, and the author is apparently in charge of the movie script. I have high hopes.

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Watched the trailer feeling meh about it. I guess it's because all the nostalgic stuff comes across as pandering to me. 

Wasn’t pandering at all. The creator of the Oasis was a child of the 80’s. Like most people he has a connection and a fondness for the era he grew up in, so he created an environment that used the things from his childhood. When he created the “hunt” contest his interests became an obsession for pretty much everyone because clues to finding the egg and winning the contest could only be found and solved if you were WELL versed in 80’s pop-culture and really all “nerd” culture. It’s a great book.

Chris

not sure how I feel about this. kind of feels like Jupiter Ascending with a distracting amount of pop culture references.

Also, seeing video game characters from really recent games so prominently in the trailer annoys me in a totally irrational way. Even more irrationally, I don't like the main actor because he looks too much like Miles Teller, and once any movie becomes associated with Miles Teller in my mind it gets an automatic strike against it.

I never read the book but I heard about it. No one told me of all the videogame and other characters though. I only saw a news story today that captured images from the trailer of Gundam, Chun Li, and many others. I think I'll watch the movie first and if it's good check out the book.

Edited by JetJockey

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I do wonder why the original Gundam, considering the audience.  I'd expect Zero, or even Burning.  

And honestly, hate to admit it, but---a "Veritech" would have much higher recognition...

I'm glad it is the Gundam and not an Adjective Gundam. Period-appropriateness, mainly. 

Obviously, there's no chance in hell of WB sorting out the mess needed to get a VF-1. They probably don't even want to touch that mess.

11 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I do wonder why the original Gundam, considering the audience.  I'd expect Zero, or even Burning.  

And honestly, hate to admit it, but---a "Veritech" would have much higher recognition...

I just puked in my mouth.

Screenshot-10_12_2017-20_41-002.jpg

RX-78 kits will sell through the roof.

Edited by peter

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems to be making the same mistake as other dystopian films.  The "bad guys" are not going to try and take away the latest "opium of the people" but would instead find ways of using it to exploit.  Then again it is hard to say, maybe they are fighting to get people to take off the VR stuff and go see what a hell hole the world is turning into.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Seems to be making the same mistake as other dystopian films.  The "bad guys" are not going to try and take away the latest "opium of the people" but would instead find ways of using it to exploit.  Then again it is hard to say, maybe they are fighting to get people to take off the VR stuff and go see what a hell hole the world is turning into.

Uhm, kind of like Matrix?

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Uhm, kind of like Matrix?

As long as it is not Matrix 2 or 3...

If I were living in the Matrix and someone took me out I would slap them upside the head and demand to be put back.  This world the physical needs while in "The Matrix" are not looked after from what I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...