Ready Player One is an upcoming dystopian sci-fi film directed by Steven Spielberg, based on the 2011 novel by Ernest Cline (Fanboys). The film stars Tye Sheridan (Scott/Cyclops in X-Men: Apocalypse), Olivia Cooke (Emma in Bates Motel), Ben Mendelsohn (John Daggett in The Dark Knight Rises, Orson Krennic in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Mark Rylance (Rudolf Abel in Bridge of Spies), Simon Pegg (Scotty in Star Trek [2009], Unkar Plutt in Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and T. J. Miller (Lucas in Transformers: Age of Extinction, Tuffnut in How to Train Your Dragon).

The film is slated for release on March 30, 2018.

Ready Player One @ IMDb

Edited by areaseven

Yeah b

Gene Wilder must be sooo old now! :o^_^

Yeah but think about the millions of new internet memes that will spring up because of his resurgence!

Yeah b

Yeah but think about the millions of new internet memes that will spring up because of his resurgence!

this is true!

IN for Spielberg directing Wilder's return to the silver screen.

agreed! Im intrigued as to what kind of character he will be playing and to what extent!?

• 11 months later...

If the movie is faithfull to the books, then there is a big chance we may finally end up watching Macross mechs on a live action movie.

There are at least two references to Macross and Robotech mechs on the book, so...who knows?

I am pretty sure there's no way in heck that part is making it past legal unaltered. And for once, Harmony Gold's lawyers are the LEAST of their problems.

Really enjoyed the book, and am very excited for the movie. As others have stated though, the book pulls references from so many different sources (anime, 80s television and music, etc.).

I can't imagine them being able to license stuff like Gundam, Voltron, Macross, on top of big name 80s stuff, just for the sake of this one movie.

• 11 months later...

So looking forward to this! It's looking AMAZING! Maybe we'll get to see Valkyries and Voltron in live action versions for the first time as in the book.

Slightly different U.K. Version

That's the thing though, I don't think they will be there.  For example, we see The Iron Giant from the late 90's, not a japanese mech.  We also see Deadpool and Harley Quinn, not say Marvel heroes.  And what's with the Voldemort looking cyborg guy?  Don't remember him from my crusty 80's childhood.

I don't think WB wanted to pay out to license the various characters to be really faithful to the story, that said, lots of these could be replaced by other, similar characters from similar shows and movies.  However, Iron Giant isn't Voltron or Ultraman.

I doubt we'll see half of the spaceships and mechs mentioned in the book.

Edited by Mazinger

• azrael changed the title to Ready Player One, in theaters March 30, 2018
9 hours ago, Mazinger said:

That's the thing though, I don't think they will be there.  For example, we see The Iron Giant from the late 90's, not a japanese mech.  We also see Deadpool and Harley Quinn, not say Marvel heroes.  And what's with the Voldemort looking cyborg guy?  Don't remember him from my crusty 80's childhood.

I don't think WB wanted to pay out to license the various characters to be really faithful to the story, that said, lots of these could be replaced by other, similar characters from similar shows and movies.  However, Iron Giant isn't Voltron or Ultraman.

I doubt we'll see half of the spaceships and mechs mentioned in the book.

I don't think we have a case of WB not WANTING to pay. There's several VERY expensive licenses in the book that they can't realistically afford, assuming they are licensable at all. Spiderman and Godzilla are the two that really stick out as being highly problematic, though Robotech could also be difficult to secure what with Sony making that live-action movie(any day now, right?).

That said.... they had me at powersliding Back to the Future DeLorean.

14 hours ago, lechuck said:

I hope we see some nice Iron Giant action.

Is it Deadpool or Deathstroke? DC characters should not be a problem for WB, but Marvel... hmm iffy.

Oh and the kid should have been putting on a Nintendo Power Glove... ^_^

Almost certainly Deathstroke. No reason to go Marvel when they already have DC rights and it is a character that wasn't referenced in the book anyways.

I would love to see the Power Glove as a piece of in-game equipment. But it doesn't belong in a "real-world" VR setup of the 21st century.

Edited by JB0

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Would that mean there's a big chance now to see Akira Live Movie? ^_^

While I like the idea of a live action AKIRA, I'll stick with the original film. I have little faith in Hollywood getting it right. 

Edited by 505thAirborne

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

While I like the idea of a live action AKIRA, I'll stick with the original film. I have little faith in Hollywood getting it right. 

True. But man, seeing that 'bike' in action in its proper size and proportion, you know you really want to see more of it, right? ^_^

22 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Trust me, when I saw Kaneda's bike I was super stoked! I'll just say this. if Chris Nolan & Katsuhiro Otomo did a joint venture on AKIRA, i'd support it all the way. B))

Agreed. Chris Nolan is a good idea. ;)

No Michael Bay for this one, right? :ph34r:

Found what may be a change from the book, if you at home the trailer closely, Wade is using IOI gear...something he would NEVER do in the books. My guess is they will just make IOI the company that owns the OASIS and eliminate GSS altogether.

Chris

There's a lot in the trailer that's pretty off from the book, but I figure that's the nature of adaptation from one media form to another, especially when having to condense a story from book form into movie form. Whatever changes are being made, the original author, Ernest Cline, is involved in the screenwriting as well, so I'd imagine it's going to be as faithful an adaptation as can be managed while still making it a hit with moviegoing audiences. As has been pointed out, the massive amount of pop culture references in the book, especially from the '80s but there are shares from earlier and later as well, would make a true direct adaptation an overwhelmingly expensive undertaking on licenses alone, not even considering the necessity of ample special effects. I think a lot of the details are going to be pretty noticeably different from the book, but a lot of the main plot points are being left intact, just with different circumstances on exactly how things unfold. Differences or not I'm still pretty geeked over this thing happening, really looking forward to it.

I agree, I wasn't mad about the change and expect differences...just noticed the IOI logo on his haptic gear and thought "there's something different" regarding potential story elements. ;)

Chris

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was trying to counter your comment. xD It's a good point to have made! I'm curious how the change is going to be explained. I'm just glad that the original author is getting a chance to rework things to his own satisfaction. I liked the book, I'm interested to see how it's reimagined for a new medium by its creator (with help from industry pros, of course).

• 3 months later...