Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

1 hour ago, anubis20 said:

Pics looks great! For the average Joe with just a cell phone is it impossible to take a pic like that?

Yes it's possible. In photography lighting is key. Some moderate knowledge in a good editing software will go a long way too. I tend to use Photoshop and Lightroom in conjuction.

Everything in Saburo's nice pictures are in focus, so his aperture is stopped down (higher #'s = more objects in photo are in focus; example F4.0). Most camera phones and lower end cameras aperture range is around F2 unless you have some of the newer phones and I believe they shoot at F1.7/F1.8 (lower # means less in focus and more light coming in for less noise; better for low light situations). 

Again all of this is subjective on the relative nature of how close the camera is to the subject and the subject to the background. 

Looks like Saburo didn't include his metadata on flickr so it's hard to tell what hes shooting with and what kind of lens unless you asked.

Edited by RED WOLF

If you have really bright lights and a black backdrop you could probably get a similar look (ignoring everything about photography) but you'll find it's pretty fleeting. The glow-in-the-dark paint is very tiny applications so they seem to dim rather rapidly and it also makes them more subtle in all but the most extreme instances.

40 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Humming macross op as per dyrl as I see these pics! living vicariously through saburo's pics!:wub:

I was humming it as well as I took and processed the photos.

11 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Yum! Can't wait for mine to arrive in a couple of days. 

Thanks @RED WOLF! Nice, post up pics when she arrives.

29 minutes ago, jenius said:

Doing mother's day stuff at the moment but hoping to get everything up later today.

I figured, same here. Just curious if you had made any progress. Enjoy the day with the family and I look forward to your review when you get some time. 

My premium SDF-1 arrived today, and it's fantastic. I took a quick look and didn't notice any missing pieces or obvious defects. I may take some poor man photos later this week.

I'm really impressed with From Japan, though. After notifying me of the box damage, they handled the issue professionally. The shipper box was resealed (as I requested), and they put everything into another box, effectively triple boxing the SDF-1 for its international journey. It was packed securely for this second trip and held in place with bubble wrap and a nice vacuum sealed plastic wrap, similar to what I've seen HLJ and Amazon use in the past. EMS cost me 6800 JPY, which included fees and a 500 JPY discount that I had available.

The end result is the SDF-1 came in exactly the same condition it was sent. Luckily, it was a superficial dent. :lol::D

3 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Just got thus today and pulled it out. A lot smaller than I expected but really cool nonetheless. Is it supposed to be this gappy? 

20180514_160056.jpg

Is it bad that I see a guy's crotch.... and his hand grasping onto the shaft of his long, main cannon?

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

And saying it's "a lot smaller than I expected"...

LOL!!! That's right!

It's not the size of the SDF-1 that matters... It's the wave motion of the cannon!

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

2 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Looking at the pics from @jenius's anymoon.com review, I think it is supposed to be less gappy.

Yamato-1-3000-SDF-1-4.jpg

Thats what I was thinking too when I compared the pix to Saburo's. Its fresh out of the box should I transform it or should it come together better? I never owned an SDF-1 so I"m at the mercy of you guys.