Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Difficult to capture the glow-in-the-dark effect in camera, but I've done what I could with multiple-exposures:

PF-SDF-1.thumb.jpg.a5e2d3138023438abfe938b0d1a97070.jpg

Love it! :wub: 

And love the wall mount too. :good: 

21 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

would a black light work the same or does it have to be a full blast of direct white light??

You ought to be able to make it glow with non-visible light. UV/blacklight might not be the best idea though, since UV is what causes plastic degradation. Illuminating with white light that doesn't have UV ought to be very safe.

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

The one thing about the florescent paint thing that bothers me with the PF SDF-1 is that I would have thought people would keep their valuable collectible toys generally away from bright light, in order to prevent plastic from yellowing or paint fading.  But here, it is practically begging us to charge it up with bright light.

I feel so conflicted!

I thought this only applies to light sources that have UV light. I keep my collectibles in direct bright LED light almost 8 hours a day for the last few years and they haven’t yellowed from that. In fact, the only yellowing I’ve experienced so far was from valks I kept inside their boxes for over a year. So now I keep those out of their boxes.

13 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Your pics are dangerous! Stop fanning those hot cinnamon rolls at me! 

Last one, I promise.  ^_^

5aea9db0577e6_lastone.thumb.jpg.b63512802800cd512e377ad66b60a4f2.jpg

11 hours ago, sh9000 said:

How long does that glow effect last?

Well, it depends on how long the model's been exposed to light, and how bright your lights are, of course... but even in total darkness, it'll continue to glow for at least a minute.

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Is it just me....or does the PF SDF-1 look like the episode in SDF where the SDF-1 is lit up for Christmas???.....:lol::huh:

I was hoping to match the Macross Plus look, but the prominent red and green colors do suggest holiday illumination.  :p

So mine just arrived. The shipping box was banged up badly but fortunately the box and contents were perfect. Out of the box it seems smaller than I remember from my Yamato, but obviously it’s not.

Anyway, bless N-Y for under declaring the value of the item as always. I was able to get away without paying customs tax for this really expensive item (which may have amounted to an additional $150-$200).

I can’t seem to get the glow in the dark to really stand out. How long do I need to “bathe” this thing in bright light to get the same effect as the promo pics?

9 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

anubis has my order:wub: i can't wait for him to open his while mine still at his house. 

9 hours ago, Zx31 said:

You mean open yours while his is still sealed?

Thats not an entirely bad idea :lol: I should get around to it tonight. Need to evict some stuff in order to make display space for it B))

From Japan received my PF SDF-1, but the shipper box was damaged in transit. <_< They sent me a note early this morning with attached photos, asking me how I want to proceed. The good news is that the damage looks superficial to me, so I'm going to have them ship it when they open after the weekend. I did ask them if they could reinforce the shipper box, either with tape or by double boxing the item for its trip overseas. We'll see what they say... :unsure:

Here's one of the photos they sent. It looks like the box knocked into something on the way to their warehouse.

sdf1box_dmg.jpg.c21dd3ba3fcc84e3c8c962d5fff0e665.jpg

Edited by technoblue

3 minutes ago, technoblue said:

From Japan received my PF SDF-1, but the shipper box was damaged in transit. <_< They sent me a note early this morning with attached photos, asking me how I want to proceed. The good news is that the damage looks superficial to me, so I'm going to have them ship it when they open after the weekend. I did ask them if they could reinforce the shipper box, either with tape or by double boxing the item for its trip overseas. We'll see what they say... :unsure:

Here's one of the photos they sent. It looks like the box knocked into something on the way to their warehouse.

sdf1box_dmg.jpg.c21dd3ba3fcc84e3c8c962d5fff0e665.jpg

Hmmm....

On the one hand, the shipping box is meant to absorb the travel damage that would otherwise be inflicted to the contents, so that's good at least.

On the other hand, what the heck are they doing to the box... using it as a kickball for a pack of wild elephants?

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hmmm....

On the one hand, the shipping box is meant to absorb the travel damage that would otherwise be inflicted to the contents, so that's good at least.

On the other hand, what the heck are they doing to the box... using it as a kickball for a pack of wild elephants?

LoL! No kidding. I'm hopeful, though, given what @ArchieNov wrote above about his delivery. The other picture they sent showed the inside and the thickness of the cardboard, which seems heavy duty. If FromJapan recommends repackaging it and tossing Arcadia's brown box, I might do that too. I'm not fussed about keeping it as long as the stuff inside is okay.

2 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Oh it’s supposed to come in an Arcadia shipping box? Mine didn’t. I don’t mind though.

if you ordered direct via proxy from Arcadia. if it's from a storefront, they may open their shipments to check contents and oftentimes they will repack it their own a more spacious shipper box and dump the arcadia box as storefronts often don't double box as it just add weight to the shipping costs. it's either the arcadia or their own boxes. rarely do they double box ship. the arcadia boxes are skin tight to the toy box and does not leave room for packing material. it's more of a risk to ship it overseas in the arcadia carton. which is why it is good to use the fastest shipping possible for Arcadia proxy orders or like techno, ask them to double box it while adding significantly more to the shipping weight and size.

7 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Thats not an entirely bad idea :lol: I should get around to it tonight. Need to evict some stuff in order to make display space for it B))

Ready to sell me some of those VF-1's we had discussed a while back...?  :p

Edited by dafob

10 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

if you ordered direct via proxy from Arcadia. if it's from a storefront, they may open their shipments to check contents and oftentimes they will repack it their own a more spacious shipper box and dump the arcadia box as storefronts often don't double box as it just add weight to the shipping costs. it's either the arcadia or their own boxes. rarely do they double box ship. the arcadia boxes are skin tight to the toy box and does not leave room for packing material. it's more of a risk to ship it overseas in the arcadia carton. which is why it is good to use the fastest shipping possible for Arcadia proxy orders or like techno, ask them to double box it while adding significantly more to the shipping weight and size.

Thanks for the explanation, @davidwhangchoi! :)

I just finished installing all the screw covers a few hours ago and my fingers still hurt. It seemed a lot harder this time around compared to when I did it for the Yamato a couple of years back. Maybe part of it is because my finger dexterity and eyesight aren't as good now as before, but I think it's also because of the topcoat. It makes the part fitment really tight so I have to use a lot of force to push these tiny parts all the way flush.

Also, now that I have it in hand,  I'm a little underwhelmed by the glow in the dark paint. I really hoped it would look as good/bright as it did in the promo shots (or at least as good as the photos of @tekering and @Gundam@EFSF). But I feel some camera tricks/photo enhancements were used to make them look that way. With my naked eye, the glow in the dark isn't really that noticeable unless I'm in an almost completely dark room. Granted, in complete darkness the glow is very noticeable, but I wanted to be able to see the detail of the SDF-1 at the same time. In complete darkness, all I can see is a bunch of small rectangles and dots.

Hope others will have a better experience though.

Lastly, I know I shouldn't, but I just can't seem to get over comparing these two (mainly because they are displayed on the same shelf). The Threezero Titanfall Ogre on the right is MUCH bigger, has fully detailed tampo and paint apps, weathering, mixed media (plastic, rubber, cloth), 40+ points of articulation, LED lights, comes with a 1/12 scale pilot figure that's like a mini Hot Toys (super detailed, complete with fabric and weathering). All of that for around $200 cheaper than what I paid for the PF SDF-1. 5aed030f43bfe_2018-05-0509_00_01.thumb.jpg.395e8a7fccaf5ba76e2b73699d1445d3.jpg

Edited by ArchieNov

Nice Titanfall fig. Was eyeing them during their pre-order/release period, but unfortunately I'm focused during that time on my metalbuild collection as well as DX / Yamato / Arcadia Valks so budget was an issue during that time, lol. Also not sure where to put it (space constraint). If you're a mech fan, it's really a good center piece. Also liked the fact that you can put the pilot inside the cockpit.

HLJ sent me the 1:3000 SDF-1 PF and I was so excited. When I saw this message, I am so disappointed:

Item has been presented to Canada Border Services Agency for customs review.,

Errr...that means at least another minimum 2 weeks of wait and probably they will open my parcel...:(

Would it be worth it to buy the regular release and add the fluorescent paint yourself along with paneling lining and stickers if you choose to?  Those that have both is that doable? Or is the quality too good and getting those options from the factory worth the extra $200?

You can probably DIY one that's equal to or better than a premium finish. It's all a matter of how much of your time spent to do it is worth to you. You got the time/skills then get the regular release. Don't wanna /can't do it yourself then get the premium.  

Edited by wmkjr