Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

I think this is a release I'm going to have to get the premium on.  The extra paint really makes the mold details stand out, and there is no way I'd try to do that level of detail myself on a $300+ dollar toy.

But that means I'm looking at something that is probably going to cost north of $500, and that is a scary place to be (for me at least).  Having been in this hobby just about a year now, I didn't think I'd ever really be considering something like that when I started.  I think half a grand on a single purchase should give even the most hard collectors (which I'm not) pause.

At least the silver lining is we'll have a little more time to save...

8 hours ago, wmkjr said:

For comparison:20431313_1561782203866062_2971334633979078885_n.jpg.b778a203258dcf340a8d7cf0f3dff5b2.jpg361.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pic wmkjr! That's what a premium edition shld be, where the regular doesn't even have those marking stickers. 

Heard abt some PE sets too available separately from the regular in jenius's review of the olde regular version..http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4389 it would be great if Arcadia included those too in a premium.

btw the color seems different too. It's err...pale (pls not pink!!) white?

Edited by seti88

Wow premium finish looks nice but I'm nervous about the price lol

Hard to go with the regular finish once you see them side by side. Much bigger difference than the VF-1 figs. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
a word

This will probably be my first and only premium purchase. I won't be getting them for the VF-1's as they wouldn't match any of the Yamato's in my collection. No issue with that here. As long as it is $500 or less I'll order it with no hesitation. More than that... and I'll order it with some hesitation.

13 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

This will probably be my first and only premium purchase. I won't be getting them for the VF-1's as they wouldn't match any of the Yamato's in my collection. No issue with that here. As long as it is $500 or less I'll order it with no hesitation. More than that... and I'll order it with some hesitation.

That goes for me two. As I said in a different thread I would be all for a Arcadia collection with only premium releases but now my collection is so big that it doesn't make sense to me to buy premium releases besides the SDF-1.

I also feel that Arcadia is canalizing itself with the announcement of these premium releases. Now some people will not order any releases because they are waiting for the premium ones that are produced in very limited numbers and preorders lots sell out fast.

That makes me wonder how the premium toys are produced. Since changeover manufacturing lines seem to be quite expensive so I'd assume that they produced the regular versions after they determined from the preorders how much they would need to produce and afterwards produce X number of units more with premium finish to save on changeover costs. 

If this is true it might have a devastating effect because they won't meet demand for the premium releases and have excess stock of the regular release lying around because people canceled their preorder for it.

Doesn't sound like a good business decision to me albeit this conclusion comes mostly for guessing how Arcadia works internally.

5 minutes ago, Scyla said:

That goes for me two. As I said in a different thread I would be all for a Arcadia collection with only premium releases but now my collection is so big that it doesn't make sense to me to buy premium releases besides the SDF-1.

I also feel that Arcadia is canalizing itself with the announcement of these premium releases. Now some people will not order any releases because they are waiting for the premium ones that are produced in very limited numbers and preorders lots sell out fast.

That makes me wonder how the premium toys are produced. Since changeover manufacturing lines seem to be quite expensive so I'd assume that they produced the regular versions after they determined from the preorders how much they would need to produce and afterwards produce X number of units more with premium finish to save on changeover costs. 

If this is true it might have a devastating effect because they won't meet demand for the premium releases and have excess stock of the regular release lying around because people canceled their preorder for it.

Doesn't sound like a good business decision to me albeit this conclusion comes mostly for guessing how Arcadia works internally.

I'm really starting to think "premium" should be there new standard for all releases.  They could probably sell them for cheaper than their current premiums by "mass" producing them (I use the term loosely).  They would still cost more than their current regular releases, but not as much as their current premium.

We are dealing with molds that are almost 10 years old in some cases, we should be getting something better than straight re-issues at this point.  Their "premium" should be what we expect for a re-used mold, but I guess they can get away with doing it like this, so they will.

Edited by HardlyNever

Well damn it, going to have to get the premium finish. Thats going to be fun trying to get it into the house without the wife noticing. She doesn't have a problem with this hobby but I bet the price would do it. 

It looks so good, I am going to be up at 2 am pre-ordering the silly thing. I hope HLJ will be carrying it. 

44 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Well damn it, going to have to get the premium finish. Thats going to be fun trying to get it into the house without the wife noticing. She doesn't have a problem with this hobby but I bet the price would do it. 

It looks so good, I am going to be up at 2 am pre-ordering the silly thing. I hope HLJ will be carrying it. 

When will it be up for pre-order anyway?? 

6 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Lol... you can smoke her about the price.... 

I think them doing the premium and showing it is going to make the preorders for the regular version lower. Considering the regular version will cost nearly 40000 yen, making it a premium toy, I'm not sure why they wouldnt just do the premium version only...

14 hours ago, erizai said:

Now that I concern on the pre-ordering... for the premium one... 

Will it be sold out asap? before you even able to click the button... :rolleyes:

This is arcadia. No preorder madness.

1 hour ago, easnoddy said:

I think them doing the premium and showing it is going to make the preorders for the regular version lower. Considering the regular version will cost nearly 40000 yen, making it a premium toy, I'm not sure why they wouldnt just do the premium version only...

Probably arcadia would do premium only if in the long run the regulars turn out to b shelf warmers and the premiums sold out. How likely is that to happen tho, as some folks aren't too concerned abt using the stickers and might still want the cheaper alternative if they are offered it.

I'm so IN for the Premium Finish for this. I'm not going to complain how much it's going to be. I didn't have one before so I rather get this one than pay $1000 for a regular Yamato one after market price. 

*giddy* *giddy* :rolleyes:

aWnZf0a.gif

So torn on this one.  I never wanted to like ANY of the DYRL designs when I first learned what they even were.  I was completely ignorant of the film or the "alternate retelling" of the TV series until about 10 years ago.  Unfortunately, actually watching the movie grew on me way faster than I would like to admit!

I saw it around the time the first Yamato release was beginning to become scarce and even at RRP, there was no way I was in a position to justify the expense, even if I told myself I didn't like the design.  Fast forward to present day and the price actually seems somewhat reasonable, considering all the other stratospheric costs of toys these days.  But I still can't decide if it's something I need...

If a TV version, with the same quality and attention to detail that this one has was announced, I know I'd bite in a heartbeat!

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by mickyg

Luckily I already have the Yamato version so there is really only one choice for me to make on this one. I'm also glad this one not going to hit the scene until 2018 as I have spent a lot this year on toys and they are still coming.