Well, actually, it had to do with the character designs. The style used for the drawings reminded me of some older anime, like Vampire Hunter D. The facial details seemed strange for this genre, but they reminded me a lot of a style I've seen in creepier stories. The way their eyes were drawn in particular reminded me of Blue Gender.

Don't think it was necessarily bad, but they definitely played up the creepiness factor of many of the characters. It really came out in Tomahawk, and those two weird characters Rei met when he crashed.

I just googled a few Yukikaze pics, and yeah, they've got creepy faces, especially the eyes. Strangely, I never noticed this the first time around.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got some time on a business trip to read a good chunk of book 2, and yeah. The book makes the anime actually make a lot more sense.

ESPECIALLY regarding the beginning of episode 2.

See.. the thing that got completely left out of the anime was the way that computers were truly running everything from behind the scenes. Leaving out all the exposition from the book really made the anime hard to follow, because so much is explained by it.

Rei was directly linked with Yukikaze. Or at least, indirectly. The medical scanner he had on was connected to the base's computer network to monitor his brain activity.. well, Yukikaze tapped into it. How the link managed to work both ways isn't brought up, but the anime makes it seem like Rei has some strange psychic link with the plane.

Once you read the actual book, all the random events they show in the anime suddenly become much more connected to the plot. The entire plot involving TAB-15 and the inlet ramp system (AICS) sabotage is so vague that they make it look like random malfunctions. It's really kinda sad how much they condensed the plot.

The books are pretty light on dialogue, and heavy on exposition, but it's because there's a lot of internal monologue. Without that, you lose a ton of the necessary details.

Anyhow.. yeah. I'd actually really love to see a full blown redo of the anime. There's enough material there to make a 20+ episode series. The biggest reason the anime is so incomprehensible is just how much explanation and internal thought process got cut out for all the characters.

• 1 month later...

Hey any yukikaze fans out there you need to check out eBay right now!!!! There is a banshee 4 for sale!!!!!! Those things are super rare. It's pricy but it would be nice to have one suspended above a bunch of 1:144 yuki jets. Just go into international eBay and type in yukikaze it will come up. Wish I could have it :(

• 2 months later...

Finally, after all these years of waiting, Alter released the next step in their wonderful yukikaze models.

The FFR-41 Mave and the FRX-99 Rafe type Hammerhead joined my FFR-31 MR/D supersylph on the shelf.

I should post a photo tomorrow.

So awesome ^^

Finally, after all these years of waiting, Alter released the next step in their wonderful yukikaze models.

The FFR-41 Mave and the FRX-99 Rafe type Hammerhead joined my FFR-31 MR/D supersylph on the shelf.

I should post a photo tomorrow.

So awesome ^^

Nice! Wish I can find a decent priced Super Sylph :(

$900 is the cheapest available on Amazon- that's crazy!

Cheeky, but I think he means 1/72 and/or larger... and not some uber expensive Platz resin kit either. :p

Heh, I did mean something bigger, but yeah, I didn't specify. :lol:

I wish Hasegawa would take on the stuff from Yukikaze like they did with Macross, and that new plane from Ace Combat. Well.. that and all the other stuff from Ace Combat and Macross I'd love to see. I'm still waiting for that 1/48 YF-21.. my three YF-19s are getting lonely. :p

I just got the Mave last week. It is one loaded toy,,, loaded with awesomeness, and ordinance galore. I wish it was a larger scale, but I'm really glad I waited for this thing.

• 1 month later...

You know... that could actually work. Maybe even better than Top Gun worked. Rei was kind of a jerk. :lol: Just have to change the name from Rei to Ray. The name Yukikaze came from Booker to begin with from what I remember, so coupled with that, and the fact that the aircraft carrier they visit wouldn't need to be in violation of all kinds of international treaties anymore, and it could fit pretty well. Rei never really had any attachment to his country anyway.

Though.. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE base it on the books, and not that fustercluck of an anime. The amount of missing content made that series make less sense Tom Cruise does on a daily basis.

Edited by Chronocidal

All I can say is.....lolwut?

:ph34r:

Yukikaze seems really left-field for animes that they could have adapted. I understand that it makes some sense with Top-Gun being a huge hit for the guy, but honestly, who really outside of the anime fighter jet fandom has heard of Yukikaze?

Meh, I'm being a pessimist, obviously I'll watch :)

Sooo.......with all the rumors about Mr. Cruise......what are the odds they change the planet and Air Forces name?! LOL

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that change either. ;)

Edited by Dobber

Calling Yukikaze similar to Top Gun is quite a stretch. Ok they both contain some airplanes...

Yukikaze is closer maybe to Solaris than to anything else. The novels are 100% nerdware, they'll need a major makeover (even more than the OVA did) to be accessible to the general audience.