Lovely work. The Sylphid was one of my favorite designs from the show as well. I liked how it felt exotic and cool while still being believable and functional as a fighter.

Her’s one of mine. I built a second one and painted it up as a USAF fighter, but for the life of me I can’t find pictures of it and the model itself is boxed up in my basement. 

8414FC61-BDCB-4612-B596-336DCFE1C470.jpeg.56a8f224260f20c601c583d976389a39.jpeg

FC7D80A4-E3D0-4851-8F86-5CC88CED8FED.jpeg.f9aac6823b94838561b87dc4df4f022a.jpeg

8E6BD24A-E1F7-4109-81AF-4FFE9350292D.jpeg.54ff5f934c966d3ec9dabd425010b06f.jpeg

I think I asked this once before, but now that there are more eyes on this thread, has anyone picked up the Yukikaze bluray set? I have the DVDs and I've read a bit about how the bluray doesn't really look much better at all. Can anyone speak to this? I downloaded what I assume to be a bluray rip and it looks almost identical to the DVD I own and I'm a pretty big nitpicker when it comes to video quality.

Hi 100mega, The downloaded blueray of Yukikaze I have is definitely better quality than the standard DVD. The blueray version I downloaded about 2010  has no subtitles or English dub.

I bought the original series back in 2002 when it first came out. Mind you I got the  Platinum edition with the DTS 6 channel sound so I couldn't speak for the sound, however the picture quality on the blueray is better even if it is in the standard 4:3 ratio.

My advise is, that if you can get an original blueray copy then get it, as they are super rare. Plus you get a fantastic art book and other goodies like the Diecast 1:200 yukikaze FFR-41mr aircraft behind a little window in the blueray box. I opted out as they were around $300 dollars at the time they came out new from CD Japan. I'm going on Aust, dollars.

blueray.jpg

By the way if anyone has scanned images of the SAF flight manual and the FAF technical orders I'd be very happy. There is character art work in them that isn't in FAF at war, Blue and purple or Sento Yosei Yukikaze - Mechanical Design Works.

There is also a "Standard version" Blu-ray box set that doesn't come with the diecast model or the FAF Technical Orders booklet. It was cheaper at around $150 MSRP. I have this version of the Blu-ray set. It contains the English dub but no English subtitles. Copies of this version can still be found on Amazon Jpn and CDJapan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone that gave the feedback on the bluray of this. I finally pulled the trigger on it and I'm actually pretty happy with it. All the the CG scenes stand out in clarity on the bluray in a good way. It's just too bad some of the extras from the DVD version weren't included so I'll still have to hang on to those.

• 9 months later...

At last the collection is complete!

I was wondering if anyone in here has read the novels. I know we're lacking an english translation of the 3rd one, but I'd love to hear Macross fan's impressions of the two that are available.

IMG_6762.jpeg

48 minutes ago, 100mega said:

I was wondering if anyone in here has read the novels. I know we're lacking an english translation of the 3rd one, but I'd love to hear Macross fan's impressions of the two that are available.

Definitely take a look back through this thread.  It's been around a while, and I know there was some pretty good discussion of the novels a few years ago when I read through them.

I didn't actually know there was a third one, now that you mention it.  I feel like I heard a rumor of it at some point, but thought the story had fairly well ended in the second book, or at least ended as well as the animated version.

The third novel was released in 2009. Unbroken arrow. I have a hot copy in my hand but alas I am not Japanese. How ever the translator of the 2 previous novels gives a brief but tantalisingly overview of the third novel without giving anything away. You can get a digital copy of both translated novels and I highly recommend reading them ‘wow’ Kambayashi wasn’t awarded best sci fi writer on a whim. You’ll love it and be left wanting more. 

8064DC44-4EBB-4373-8F39-B83DC5423F17.jpeg

13 minutes ago, jammaker said:

The third novel was released in 2009. Unbroken arrow. I have a hot copy in my hand but alas I am not Japanese. How ever the translator of the 2 previous novels gives a brief but tantalisingly overview of the third novel without giving anything away. You can get a digital copy of both translated novels and I highly recommend reading them ‘wow’ Kambayashi wasn’t awarded best sci fi writer on a whim. You’ll love it and be left wanting more. 

8064DC44-4EBB-4373-8F39-B83DC5423F17.jpeg

Thanks for the impressions and the info about the 3rd novel. They're on my list once I finish up Evangelion Anima (shared mecha designer!). Hopefully we'll get the 3rd novel one day.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:54 AM, 100mega said:

At last the collection is complete!

IMG_6762.jpeg

By the way 100 mega that is a very impressive collection you have there. Which one completed your collection? I’m still hunting down the Super Sylph. Absolutely crazy prices now. All you have there in that pic is expensive enough to display in a vault. Ha ha. 

4 hours ago, jammaker said:

By the way 100 mega that is a very impressive collection you have there. Which one completed your collection? I’m still hunting down the Super Sylph. Absolutely crazy prices now. All you have there in that pic is expensive enough to display in a vault. Ha ha. 

I needed the Mave to complete my collection and I got it a few months back from yahoo japan auctions via buyee for a "decent" price. The Super Sylph came from Madrake and the Flipknight came from some goober on ebay that was selling it as new but it had clearly been displayed! Oh well, what can you do? I love my little "Ikuto corner" :rofl:

About Eva 3.0+1.0....I was listening to the podcast in the shower during the part talking about the lady crying in the theater and I started crying with joy that it is apparently going to be emotionally satisfying. I'm so excited that I can barely stand it.

Edited by 100mega

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I almost choked thinking they were finally going to do some plastic 1/72 kits! Still a must buy even if the older full resin block for a cockpit still is a PITA to model.

I still need to find a translated copy of book 3 too!

Edited by Rock