The Banshee's are 100% Autonomous too, aren't they?

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Cool. Reminds me of something Makoto Kobayashi would design. 

Ikuto Yamashita is one of my favorite mecha designers. He worked on Evangelion as well.

I'd love to track down his Yukikaze artbook someday.

They were crewed, and outfitted with a full bridge and everything, but clearly were capable of operating autonomously, given that Banshee-IV was devoid of crew when Rei and Tom landed on it. Like most of the rest of the SAF, by the end of the war the humans were probably there just to do what the computers were telling them to do.

I’ve only ever seen a few clips from the anime. I have a few of the resin kits ,( love the designs !)  I need to get a full copy of the anime sometime. The tone of what Little I’ve seen  is quite ominous..

(Spoiler alert to those that haven't read the novels) Both Banshee III & IV can be completely autonomous, however they were both fully manned. Banshee III was operating autonomously in the anime as the Jam had consumed the crew and was busily creating copies of them when Rei and Tomahawk came to investigate. According to the novels. The Banshee series were built in orbit and dropped through the atmosphere, to then be flown through the portal to faery. Both Banshees were vital to the FAF's survival on the Planet Faery and were serviced (meaning replenished) daily. On the resin kit the specs are- From wing tip to wing tip they are 1400 meters.  Height 315M. From front to back 687M. Weight 9650 Tons. Crew 388. Cruise speed 650 km/ph. with a top speed of 730km/per hour. They have an unlimited range. In the novel Banshee III was put on meltdown remotely by the FAF to cause an evacuation, to clear it out fearing a suspected coup and / or Jam takeover. However the nuclear meltdown was to far advanced by the time it was empty and it was unable to be saved. The devastating loss of both super carriers spelled the end of the FAF on faery. The good news is that in the Anime Banshee III survived and served as the main evacuation platform for the FAF back to earth. I absolutely love the design of Banshee and after 15 years last Christmas finished banshee IV.  I took a couple of really bad pics of IV. It's suspended like that in my display using fishing line. It's amazing how well it suddenly shows up when you want to take a Pic.  I'll have to set it up properly and get some good ones. It took me that long as I didn't want to mess it up. Sorry to all, I did have another one but  sold it and I'm still kicking myself. I'll keep searching though, as I want to make banshee III one day now that I have the colour scheme. Electric Indigo your Banshee with scratch build gantry is truly epic, and was the inspiration I needed to finish mine. I really like all of your scratch build models. I'll post a couple I've made soon.

Banshee 2.jpg

Banshee 1.jpg

Banshee 6.jpg

Thanks Dobber, I'll have to finish my FFR-41 MRD Yukikaze. It's a 1/72 scale with a scratch built life capsule. And movable wing surfaces. I've been holding off as I want to drop a couple of Super pheonix engines into it at 1/72 scale. I've been trying to find some 1/72 scale jets to convert them but haven't found any anywhere :(.  I'll have to find someone with a resin 3D printer and do them that way. I have the files to do it. But the printer is just as elusive as the jets.

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

@electric indigo, did Bandai make the early model FFR-31 MR B/C Supersylph (the one on the right)? That looks awesome!

That's the normal EX kit modded by me after Yamashita's concept art. The early Supersylphs from the animation actually have different fuselages, like a stubbier nose, I think.

Some in-progress pics are in this thread here, here and here.

Jamaiker, that's an awesome job on the Banshee. It's really a kit to test your patience, but on the other side one of the best made garage kits I worked on. A rare sight to see one built. Too bad the maker didn't continue this line of kits, they had some promising prototypes.

Looking forward to see more of your kits.

I have three of the Platz resin kits at about 80%, but every time I - LOOK, A SQUIRREL!

Edited by electric indigo

Thanks Electric Indigo, I've been a fan of your work for years. I'm about the same with a few yukikaze kits on the go at once that have been sitting at various stages of repair for years. Mainly beacause I feel I've got to be on top of my game so I don't stuff them up because I want them to be perfect. I definitely whould have purchased every Oomooly product. I was looking forward to the FEP twin prop jet.

In 2009 I scratch built a TNX-1 out of a bandai 1/100 RAFE but wasn't satisfied because it was only half there so I spent time and lots of money developing the other half. I tried getting in touch with Bandai visual about a manufacturing licence a couple of years ago, and even sent my good Japanese friend to Tokyo to set up an appointment.But alas they wouldn't see me as they " arn't seeing or dealing with any foreign companies for 2-3 years". So I'm planning on seeing plats, and maybe they'll buy it off of me and I can get a cut. Fingers crossed anyway. It's all still a work in process. If there's anyone out there with connections please hook me up.  Here's a sneak peak it's 1/100 scale and fits both alter and bandai kits. It has instructions waterslide decals and box art and design. This prototype TNX Carrier shell alone, cost me 2 grand. Anyway. Enjoy!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Can anyone speak to the quality of Yukikaze on blu-ray in comparison to the DVD version? I've had the DVDs forever and it's one of my favorite shows. I know the blu-ray is an upscale due to the original series being made before the HD era. Any sites out there with screenshot comparisons or anything like that?

• 3 months later...

I'd be down for that. I'm still missing the Flip Knight, although that's probably the one least likely to get reissued. While I'm dreaming though, what I'd really like is some of the other planes from the series. I super love the Fand I and II.

7 minutes ago, snakerbot said:

I'd be down for that. I'm still missing the Flip Knight, although that's probably the one least likely to get reissued. While I'm dreaming though, what I'd really like is some of the other planes from the series. I super love the Fand I and II.

I wasn't familiar with the Fand I and II, but now I'm right with you. While we're dreaming here I'll take a translation of the final novel as well. Sucks to be a late comer fan of the series have it be near impossible to get anything.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:20 AM, snakerbot said:

Yeah, the Fand 1 and 2 would be something I'd be interested in. It's a shame they stopped. Really liked the details they put in them.

I’d love the Sylphid. That is such a sexy design. I’m glad at least a resin kit was made of it but to have a highly detailed display model with all the options that Alter did for the Supersylph and Mave would be a dream come true for me. 

9533BF6E-504D-45B4-9291-24F9C3B34CB0.jpeg.b5ee63cb015c1481e56ef0958ca90ba1.jpeg

C458B765-FF92-441D-8BBA-D893DA2AACF0.jpeg.edfcdbd1accc0a49fbe0813893cd021c.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

I’d love the Sylphid. That is such a sexy design. I’m glad at least a resin kit was made of it but to have a highly detailed display model with all the options that Alter did for the Supersylph and Mave would be a dream come true for me. 

Definitely one of my favourite scifi "grunt" fighters.

sylph-prod.jpg

8 hours ago, Dobber said:

I have 2 of the 1/72 Resin kits of the FFR-31A, if they re-issue them again, splurge, they're worth it!

YES!!!  Beautiful design.  I have the Platz 1/72 resin of the other two (Mave & Yukikaze) - I didn't know they made one of this also.  Beautiful kits, but the resin cockpit is completely encased so you can't paint the interior - always prevented me from building one of these beauties.  How much are the resin kits worth nowadays?

Yeah, I have 2 of the Platz 1/72 kits of the the Sylphid. I posted pics here a while back of both of them. Even with those beauties, I’d still love a hyper detailed 1/100 with all the accessories. B))

Chris

44 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

YES!!!  Beautiful design.  I have the Platz 1/72 resin of the other two (Mave & Yukikaze) - I didn't know they made one of this also.  Beautiful kits, but the resin cockpit is completely encased so you can't paint the interior - always prevented me from building one of these beauties.  How much are the resin kits worth nowadays?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=gundam&target=Serieshin&searchkey=Battle+Fairy+Yukikaze&spage=1&Scale=1%2f72

About $100-$120 USD...

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1131072604&ref=list&dispCount=240&keyword=Sentou Yousei Yukikaze&lang=en

Mave for 8K yen, so a little less than the stickerprice if you're unconcerned about the box quality

they seem to get re-issued every-so-often, My examples are second-run FFR-31s, and my Mave Yukikaze is a 4th-run I think... has a couple very minor bubbles in the all-in-one cast cockpit, but WAY better than I expected. I look forward to building/having it on display, however My resin-kit skills are too long unused at the moment to attempt her though...

and the FFR-31 has some cockpit detail, as it's not cast together with the canopy

FFR-31 Sylphid (Plastic model) Contents1 a bit rudamentary...

FFR-31 Sylphid (Plastic model) Assembly guide1*top-right is cockpit assembly

They're crying-out for some eduard PE and super-detailing IMO... and the canopy shape is simple enough that vaccuforming one should be mad simple if you've got the stuff [or know someone who does]

26 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Yeah, I have 2 of the Platz 1/72 kits of the the Sylphid. I posted pics here a while back of both of them. Even with those beauties, I’d still love a hyper detailed 1/100 with all the accessories. B))

Chris

it would be nice to have one to zoom-around-the-room [resin kit=far too risky], and they would get my money for one too!

Edited by slide

1 hour ago, slide said:

it would be nice to have one to zoom-around-the-room [resin kit=far too risky], and they would get my money for one too!

I should look and see how difficult it would be to 3D print a solid model.  The geometry looks like it could work, and it would be fun to scale it up to 1/48th. ^_^ 

I need to go hunting resources.. I know I've seen a few high-resolution renders of the animation models, and that would make the actual airframes pretty easy to replicate.  The real difficulty would be in the details.  I think I need to invest in some actual CAD software, rather than 3D animation/gaming focused stuff, because making nice engraved panel lines is by far the most work involved in making a printable model.

12 hours ago, Dobber said:

The Sylphid is also the most "normal" looking design in the show. The rest are all a little weird, and several of them look like they come from a universe where aerodynamics work differently. As much as I like the Fand II, I'm of no delusion that it's a reasonable design for a plane.

46 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I should look and see how difficult it would be to 3D print a solid model.  The geometry looks like it could work, and it would be fun to scale it up to 1/48th. ^_^ 

I need to go hunting resources.. I know I've seen a few high-resolution renders of the animation models, and that would make the actual airframes pretty easy to replicate.  The real difficulty would be in the details.  I think I need to invest in some actual CAD software, rather than 3D animation/gaming focused stuff, because making nice engraved panel lines is by far the most work involved in making a printable model.

I see a lot of people here write about Shapeways, but I'm kind of curious how FDM printers (looks at Prusa on the desk) would handle some of the things people come up with. Layer lines would have to be smoothed, of course. I don't know how much work that actually is since I've never printed anything where looks are that important.

See, I wouldn't recommend Shapeways off the bat, just because it can be difficult to tune the printing process with them, and the turn-around between trials is obnoxious.

What I -would- suggest is using a printer of your own, and experimenting with what you can pull off.  I've had some good results printing small parts, so the idea of building up a kit from smaller prints.  Layer lines can be dealt with, but you need to make sure to break down the assembly into smaller segments that can be sanded out.  Check the other 3D printing topics for more details, but I'm slowly printing out the components to build a Wing Commander model.

tailpic.jpg.4761bc559bd97f974589867b16d25b13.jpg

You're not going to get fine panel lines like an injection molded kit straight out of an FDM printer, but if you want to put the work in after the print, and the parts breakdown allows, you can always scribe everything in manually.  I would say that's arguably easier than engraving the model before printing, but it'll very much depend on the model geometry.

In the long run, don't go through Shapeways until you have a functional print, and parts that fit together.  For as many trial prints as I've made of various items, I would have already paid for a printer if I was ordering repeated prints from Shapeways.  

Anyhow, back on the subject though, I might have to see if I can find a Sylphid model to mess with. :D  I'd love a Fand I as well, I think that's probably one of the more "reasonable" aircraft in the show.  The Fand II is just pure sci-fi.

Edited by Chronocidal

@slide  Oh wow, I actually thought it was worth something (I got the 1st round) but its nothing at all now, even those tiny 1/144 toys are more expensive.  Thank God I don't collect to make money or I would've lost my shirt already.

6 hours ago, snakerbot said:

The rest are all a little weird, and several of them look like they come from a universe where aerodynamics work differently. As much as I like the Fand II, I'm of no delusion that it's a reasonable design for a plane.

I don't remember the books or the OVA ever mentioning how thick/thin the atmosphere, and how strong the gravity is on Faery. It seems to be close enough to Earth since people can go outside without much difficulty.

2 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I don't remember the books or the OVA ever mentioning how thick/thin the atmosphere, and how strong the gravity is on Faery. It seems to be close enough to Earth since people can go outside without much difficulty.

I think it was more a matter of the make-up of the atmosphere having different fluid dynamic properties than Earth.  The planes still flew on Earth anyhow, so it couldn't have been that different.

Also, keep in mind the original book had much less wacky designs, where aside from maybe some extra control surfaces, the original Super Sylph was something closer to an upgraded F-15 (maybe more like the MTD, the one with canards).  Those designs exist, and have been made as resin kits I think.  The anime just decided to go off the deep end of aerodynamics, and use the setting as an excuse for all manner of impossible and improbable mutations of modern aircraft design.

I finished my Sylphid to 90% ten year ago, but it took a few hits in a move since then and needs some care. Here are some old pics:

4390078286_00363d1e9b_c.jpg

4390078092_7f21cd9177_c.jpg

I highly recommend replacing the resin canopy with a heat-pressed part, I used a blister pack heated on the stove and the original part as a plug. I still have the kit part and it has gone dark yellow. The cockpit detail is not too bad, and a Hasegawa pilot will make things more exciting.

5537271356_63bcfb4d14_c.jpg