You may be right about that, but there's a more direct message to the story that only gets developed in the novels. The entire thing was one long exploration of mankind's relationship with the technology it develops, and the JAM were just utterly confused by the entire concept, because I believe they were meant to be more along the lines of biological machines.

Heck, honestly, it almost like someone took the script for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and adapted it to work with fighter planes. Some really similar concepts, and in today's age, a story about man's relationship with his own technology in a war environment is painfully relevant.

If they stick with the book version, the mystical aspects of the story disappear fast, and you're left with a nice commentary on the interactions of man and machine.

Really.. I have to be honest here. I'm having a hard time seeing an actual down side to the idea of making a movie like this, Tom Cruise included. I don't see him having any trouble playing Rei nearly perfectly (age and nationality not withstanding). And really, yes, the whole debate over automated weapons systems couldn't be more relevant right now.

The fun part though is the big-budget publicity this could generate for the series. I mean.. I'm not holding my breath for them to stick to the existing aircraft designs, but what if they do? You know the movie is going to be a special effects extravaganza, and you could probably wedge it into the PG-13 bracket without much trouble.

I realize it's an unlikely best-case scenario at best, but I can't help but smile at the thought of walking down the aisle of a local Target, and seeing Yukikaze stuff sitting between the Avengers and Transformers merchandise.:p At the very least, it might convince some company to make some mass produced styrene kits of the planes.

Before anyone says "that didn't work with (insert un-named movie about an AI aircraft here)," I'd say this is a different situation, since the designs already exist, and have been produced in limited amounts. The publicity push for a movie like this could open the flood gates on previously produced stuff that didn't get wide circulation.

Edited by Chronocidal

Both "All You Need Is Kill" and "Sentou Yousei Yukikaze"...
Tom may be focusing on the Japanese movie market mainly. Recently the Hollywood movies can't gather their audiences easily in Japan. Even the Avengers movie did not hit enough in comparison with the other countries. But the country has the 2nd largest market for them in the world.
The image of him is so good here. His eccentricities and the religious things are never told on the TV, and his fan service to his Japanese fans are so excessive; he took pictures with fans, sign his autographs and shook hands for 2 hours in the premier of “Jack Reacher ” (アウトロー) in Yuraku-cho in the late January.
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0048934 (Japanese)

May be one of his strategies, I guess.

Only problem I'd have with a Hollywood adaptation (other than not caring for Cruise) is the obligatory romantic subplot they'll tack on.

What do you mean tack on? All they have to do is figure out who will play Fukrei.

I haven't seen this anime. But I like the idea of Tom Cruise working on this far more than a Top Gun sequel. I think I'll watch the anime soon. At least before the movie.

The only problem I see with a western movie compared to the OVA and books is most movie goers will expect an explanation of the JAM and an ending that answers all their questions.

The romantic subplot in the OVA and books may have been between Rei and Yukikaze but the romantic tension in the OVA was between Rei and Booker.

That aspect may be dropped from the movie as well as the idea of forming a disposable force of socially unattractive people and exiling them to fight a stagnant war in another dimension.

That aspect may be dropped from the movie as well as the idea of forming a disposable force of socially unattractive people and exiling them to fight a stagnant war in another dimension.

Actually, right now? I can think of probably a million and a half ways that people of various political leanings would jump on it as a way to either promote or lampoon a viewpoint. I don't intend to dig into any actual viewpoints in terms of the real world, but think about it. The background for the story is that there's a war going on that not many people are aware of or actually care about, and they decide to lighten the load on society by offering military service as an alternative to prison. We all can do the math on that one. :p

Personally, I hope they don't tweak the story to make it more "acceptible" to audiences, because I actually enjoyed the way it made me think. Changing it would pretty much ruin the entire background for half the characters in the original story, and entirely kill off one of the major themes in the book.

Aside from that though, one thing I always appreciated about Yukikaze was it's more realistic view of what would happen if we really did get attacked by aliens. The people actually doing the fighting became much more connected across cultural boundaries, while the people back home lost interest, and never got past their old prejudices (in a very rough nutshell). It was the entire viewpoint of the author who wrote the fictional book in-universe: they weren't fighting for a country, they were fighting for Earth.

Personally, I hope they don't tweak the story to make it more "acceptible" to audiences, because I actually enjoyed the way it made me think. Changing it would pretty much ruin the entire background for half the characters in the original story, and entirely kill off one of the major themes in the book.

We agree. It is just your way of saying it isn't as harsh as mine.

I haven't seen this anime. But I like the idea of Tom Cruise working on this far more than a Top Gun sequel. I think I'll watch the anime soon. At least before the movie.

I don't know if you, or anyone else is a book reader, but I am not. However, I have read the first novel of Yukikaze, and it's a great book. It goes into a lot more detail about the planet, the enemy, and the inside of each character. It's a very good book and worth the read. I think volume 2 is now translated into English, but I haven't looked.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys. New here. I just wanna say I made this solely to talk about Yukikaze.

It appears in recent weeks on TV Tropes somebody has done a major clean-up of the Yukikaze page out there.

I've only read the first novel, but I just noticed somebody posted the ending to the second novel and holy crap it totally blows the anime's ending out of the water, but it's a major, major, MAJOR cliffhanger!

Let me just quote it for you:

Good Luck, Yukikaze ends with Ansel Rombert going MIA after starting his mutiny, Banshee-III exploding (heavily implied to be JAM sabotage), and the JAM launching an unbelievably large-scale electronic warfare attack that causes nearly all FAF AIs to perceive Faery Air Base as having been taken over by the JAM as well as start registering hundreds of false positives of JAM fighters which are actually FAF craft. The result is a Civil War that erupts in the FAF as nearly every plane from every FAF forward operating base starts gunning for HQ as well as making all SAF planes targets. Even worse, Booker brings up the possibility that the FAF pilots may be targeting the SAF not because of JAM deception, but because they're using this as an opportunity to settle scores with the dirty cowards they think the SAF are. Rei moves to sortie into this madhouse because he believes the JAM are waiting for him & Yukikaze to show themselves. Meanwhile, the SAF Strategic Computer is strongly predicting that an actual JAM fleet will show up after the carnage is over and wipe out the remaining survivors. After all, everything is going all according to plan for them.

Can we please start some kind of campaign to make everyone you know buy these books so that Haika Soru will translate the third novel? :p

Hi guys. New here. I just wanna say I made this solely to talk about Yukikaze.

It appears in recent weeks on TV Tropes somebody has done a major clean-up of the Yukikaze page out there.

I've only read the first novel, but I just noticed somebody posted the ending to the second novel and holy crap it totally blows the anime's ending out of the water, but it's a major, major, MAJOR cliffhanger!

Let me just quote it for you:

Good Luck, Yukikaze ends with Ansel Rombert going MIA after starting his mutiny, Banshee-III exploding (heavily implied to be JAM sabotage), and the JAM launching an unbelievably large-scale electronic warfare attack that causes nearly all FAF AIs to perceive Faery Air Base as having been taken over by the JAM as well as start registering hundreds of false positives of JAM fighters which are actually FAF craft. The result is a Civil War that erupts in the FAF as nearly every plane from every FAF forward operating base starts gunning for HQ as well as making all SAF planes targets. Even worse, Booker brings up the possibility that the FAF pilots may be targeting the SAF not because of JAM deception, but because they're using this as an opportunity to settle scores with the dirty cowards they think the SAF are. Rei moves to sortie into this madhouse because he believes the JAM are waiting for him & Yukikaze to show themselves. Meanwhile, the SAF Strategic Computer is strongly predicting that an actual JAM fleet will show up after the carnage is over and wipe out the remaining survivors. After all, everything is going all according to plan for them.

Can we please start some kind of campaign to make everyone you know buy these books so that Haika Soru will translate the third novel? :p

Where did you get the translations from? Sounds interesting...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys how are you? I have some good news for any yukikaze model collectors. I finally acquired a 1/4000 banshee 4. But alas because I have 2 as I was going to do this up as banshee 3. I unfortunately have to sell her....... Darn it!!!!!!!!grrrrrrrrrr........anyway if your interested we could start up a correspondence and exchange details. I know I could sell this for a lot, cause the're even more rare than the alter FFR-31MrD. They are still selling for a grand on ebay. But I'm willing to settle for $250.00+ postage and insurance. I know, i know. But that is a fair price for what it is. And if that is too much than this is not for you....... I post world wide and use PayPal. Hope you will look at the hints and tips on the macross buy and sell page as i will do as they suggest to make sure any transaction goes smooth for both parties. I would like to sell it on the macross site, but for some reason it won't let me. Don't know if the has anything to do with the fact I'm in Australia. Anyway. Talk to you soon.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks! pre ordered from hlj

Cool, I was so excited to see them available I didn't even look at any other store - HLJ or otherwise. AmiAmi has a much better discount but I see the appeal of going with HLJ for the purchase.

Thanks for the heads up, can finally grab one of these. :) Debating getting both, but I'll wait and see.

No problem, the FFR-31 is so hard to find at a reasonable price (although admittedly I sold my first release last year or the year before for a ridiculous price on eBay :ph34r:) I figured folks would like the heads-up. Glad you were able to get one!

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Cool, I was so excited to see them available I didn't even look at any other store - HLJ or otherwise. AmiAmi has a much better discount but I see the appeal of going with HLJ for the purchase.

don't be fooled with amiami's discount price as they will get you back with their high shipping. hlj shipping is much cheaper and evens it out almost always. even more if you combine shipping with other stuff if you got stuff coming out in august.

i calculated all the cost with the bandai macross and it's always comes out the same price for amiami, minus the great customer service of hlj.

the cheapest place is actually hobby search as their shipping is pretty good and they have good customer service as well. or biginjapan if you do sal shipping.

Well, actually, I'm more partial to the Mave, just because there are so many options on it. Wound up going ahead and ordering one of each with HLJ though. August is my birthday, so maybe I'll splurge a bit. :) can always cancel later if I don't wind up having the funds around.

don't be fooled with amiami's discount price as they will get you back with their high shipping. hlj shipping is much cheaper and evens it out almost always. even more if you combine shipping with other stuff if you got stuff coming out in august.

i calculated all the cost with the bandai macross and it's always comes out the same price for amiami, minus the great customer service of hlj.

the cheapest place is actually hobby search as their shipping is pretty good and they have good customer service as well. or biginjapan if you do sal shipping.

Hmmmm....good info, I honestly hadn't noticed or compared. Next time then!

@Chronocidal, if it's your Birthday then go crazy!

-b.