Most playable Macross transforming toys?

zad2k

Hello, it's been a long time since I've been here to these forums and or looked at Macross figures.  The last one I bought was the original Yamato VF-1S 1/48th release.  It was an awesome figure until it broke.  I think it was a fairly common issue, it was the broken backpack hinge piece (is there any way to repair/replace this?).

Anyways I have gotten back into collecting transformers recently and I'm interested in dipping my toes in with a Macross transforming figure.  I've done a little searching and it seems like there are a lot of options right now so I'm a bit confused at where to start.  I'm hoping I can get a reply or two with some suggestions.

I'm looking for something I can pick up and transform periodically without worrying too much about breaking it.  I'd like it to be able to hold a dynamic pose.  I'm hoping I can find something for around $100.

Thanks for your time!

At that price range, I'd say it's the Hi-Metal R and 1/55 lines, hands down. Personally, I'd go with the Hi-Metal R line since it's such a varied line with, Destroids and Zentradi mecha to complement the VF-1. Just make sure to avoid the old Hi-Metal (sans the "R") toys since they aren't as rugged as the newer Hi-Metal R's. About half of my old Hi-Metal toys developed loose ankles after 1 or 2 transformations.

For the price point of around $ 100 I'd agree with the other members and go with the Hi Metal R. Although not a personal favorite of mine because of their small size and smaller parts I'll give credit where credit is due and agree that they're nice little figures.

https://hlj.com/product/BANN11262

You should check out Spanner's current Sales Thread - he's got some used Yamato Valkyries that have been panel lined. A couple of items are a shade under $200 but when you factor shipping from Australia I think they're a good deal if you want something in a larger scale.

-b.

For that price point the HMR line is for you.  However I find it easier to transform the 1/60 v2 vf-1 yamcadias.  They hold great poses, and any v2 vf-1  arcadia will be sturdy as heck.  They are perfect transformation as well, where as the HMR is very slightly partsforming (canopy shield and landing gear).   Gotta say the HMR vf takes falling off a shelf like a champ though!

Playability, relatively cheap price, and dynamic posing all lead to the Hi-Metal R series, really. They've done a fair number of valkyries so far, along with destroids and even Zentradi Regults and Glaugs. Hell, they even did a Monster. They're branching out in the VF-2 from Macross 2 soon, and we're still waiting for the Tomahawk that prototypes have been shown of for a few months now.

They're 1/100 scale, which makes them small and easily kept around on a desk. The VF-1s do parts-form some, it must be warned. The typical assortment of hands, the gunpod grip, the heat shield, and if you want to remove the hardpoint equipped wings for smooth wings, or to replace either with the smaller anime-magic wings for battroid mode.

I'd agree that 1/55 would be the most playable (ie durable?) but the Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 is the absolute pinnacle of size and design.  At the very least get your favorite VF-1 in that line if it's available.  But the most collectable line right now is HMR for sure.

5 hours ago, ZorClone said:

I'd agree that 1/55 would be the most playable (ie durable?) but the Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 is the absolute pinnacle of size and design.  At the very least get your favorite VF-1 in that line if it's available.  But the most collectable line right now is HMR for sure.

How can you say that when Arcadia just released their most collectible, sought after, yet 'Premium' version of Hikaru's VF-1S? ^_^

While I don't own any and personally never would because they don't hit the nostalgia button for me, I'd definitely agree the chunky monkeys are tops for handling and play. I own a ton of Hi-Metal R, and I guess you'd have to define your term for "playable". Do you mean pick and and mess with yourself or kids? I pick up and mess with my Hi-Metal R constantly and I've had zero issues or breaks, that said I wouldn't let kids have at them. On the flip side I've handled several of my buddies old 1/55 chunkies and I'm pretty positive that if I really wanted to I could kill a person with one of those things, they are absurdly solid transforming mecha toys. It sounds like Hi-Metal R would work best for you, to start cheap, I'd pick up one of the newer Hi-Metal R TV VF-1J Hikaru valks, cheap, no real frills, but it will give you a taste of what Hi-Metal R is and stands for, great little toys, very articulated, tight, well made, and fairly detailed for the scale.

Thanks for the other replies.  I'm still on the fence, I really like the look of the HMR's but they're a lot smaller than what I was looking for, partsforming the landing gear doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

I just sold my VF-1J 1/55 a couple months back because it wasn't as poseable as I wanted.

I'm trying to sell my Yamato 1/60 Ver.1 VF-1A because I want something a bit more solid/stable and I'd rather not have to partsform major components.

I've got a 1/48 Yamato that I think I'd be pretty happy with If I could repair the backpack but I'm not finding any repair options.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:04 PM, zad2k said:

I'm looking for something I can pick up and transform periodically without worrying too much about breaking it.  I'd like it to be able to hold a dynamic pose.  I'm hoping I can find something for around $100.

25 minutes ago, zad2k said:

Thanks for the other replies.  I'm still on the fence, I really like the look of the HMR's but they're a lot smaller than what I was looking for, partsforming the landing gear doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

Based on your posts, it's safe to assume the best one you need is a 1/60 VF-1 v2. Everyone knows you'll never go wrong with a 1/60 VF-1 v2. ^_^

The only sad part here is that you might not be able to get a complete boxed one for $100. I sold some of mine for that price range for 'used and loose', not complete and no box. But I guarantee you that it's really worth it when you get one.

18 minutes ago, zad2k said:

I just sold my VF-1J 1/55 a couple months back because it wasn't as poseable as I wanted.

I'm trying to sell my Yamato 1/60 Ver.1 VF-1A because I want something a bit more solid/stable and I'd rather not have to partsform major components.

I've got a 1/48 Yamato that I think I'd be pretty happy with If I could repair the backpack but I'm not finding any repair options.

"Playable" and "Poseable" can be almost a grail thing.  At least with Macross stuff.

The 1/55 are extremely "Playable".  They're tanks.   Of course, they're not that poseable since they're about 30plus-year-old designs.  

The HMR vf-1's are relatively recent, but you already know about the parts-forming and the tiny sizing.

The 1/48 are huge, but can be quite cumbersome and sometimes fragile, as evidenced by your bp8 issue with it.

The old 1/60 (v1) are way old and more partsforming than the HMR, not to mention challenging and quite ugly now in battroid-mode.

So then your best bet from your size requirements and stuff will be the recent Arcadia 1/60 VF-1's for playability and poseability without the parts-forming.  They're the same design as the older Yamato 1/60v2, but with a bit of newer materials.

They're quite robust and solid (more solid and prettier than the 1/48 and the HMR), but they're heckuva EXPENSIVE nowadays. HLJ has the non-premium Strike Roy and Strike Hikaru for 21,800y already that does not include shipping-fees.  Add another 10k-15k for the limited Premium versions (tampo markings).

You can try to get the older Yamato 1/60v2, but those can get even more expensive than the newer Arcadia-versions from the scalpers.  They're a bit less robust than the later Arcadia versions, but they have the correct colors and stuff.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, ntsan said:

I still play the 1/55 from time to time, while other is mostly for show only and only transformed like once or twice or never.  Though latest VF-31 got really good poseablility

Which VF-31? Going to be shopping around for an actual toy one I can mess with.

38 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Which VF-31? Going to be shopping around for an actual toy one I can mess with.

I believe the two VF-31's currently available (J and F) are the same figure except for markings and the head.

The F is cheaper and can be had on mandarake or yahoo auctions for around 220 USD shipped.

Heres one at mandarake for around 210 USD if you ship SAL and use a CC with no foreign transaction fees: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1067892617&ref=list

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
a word

52 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I believe the two VF-31's currently available (J and F) are the same figure except for markings and the head.

The F is cheaper and can be had on mandarake or yahoo auctions for around 220 USD shipped.

Heres one at mandarake for around 210 USD if you ship SAL and use a CC with no foreign transaction fees: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1067892617&ref=list

Ok, so Bandai.

So far I haven't noticed any transaction fees when I do my HLJ or CDJapan orders. But going to place a pin in this, thanks.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, zad2k said:

If big VF-1's are what you're into, you may want to wait a little bit and see if Bandai releases their monstrous 1/35 VF-1J. Unfortunately no release date has been set, nor is there any guarantee that it'll ever be released. But since this year is Macross' 35th anniversary, I can see Bandai releasing a 1/35 toy on the show's 35th anniversary. Coincidence?

35_1J.jpg

I find it highly ironic that my most expensive Macross toy is also the toy I'm least fearful of breaking and, therefore, the toy I transform the most.

The Bandai 1/60 Chogokin VF-31.

Solid as a rock. All the tolerances are PERFECT. All the joint tightness is PERFECT.

Based simply on structural integrity, the toys I find most playable are (in no particular order):

Yamato's VF-19s.

Arcadia's YF-19.

Yamato's 1/48 VF-1. DAMN, that is rock solid. 15 years old and still rock solid.

11 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

The Bandai 1/60 Chogokin VF-31.

Solid as a rock. All the tolerances are PERFECT. All the joint tightness is PERFECT.

Yamato's 1/48 VF-1. DAMN, that is rock solid. 15 years old and still rock solid.

I love the 1/48s. The VF-1 looks so good in a large scale and a 1/35 bandai would be freakin awesome.

I didn't like the VF-31 at first but I really enjoy the J, and am looking forward to picking up a couple of the C and E.