D&D (Forgotten Realms) New Movie.

Not sure if anyone here reads any of the "Realms" novels but if you do and have been curious as to why no new ones have been released, well "Bob" R.A. Salvatore has confirmed that Wizards of The Coast has not renewed his contract for any further novels "currently" or any of the writers for that matter.  Apparently Wizards is investing big into a Forgotten Realms movie with Warner Bros, this is exciting news for any Realms fan but really exciting for me as a die-hard "Hero's of the Hall" fan.  The movie will be much different than Peter Jackson's LOTR, the D&D movie will:

• Be set in the Forgotten Realms
  • Will NOT have characters teleported from our world
  • Focused on an ensemble group, "taking a Guardians of the Galaxy" tone.

That last part in particular is of interest, as having read several Realms novels the only troupe I'm aware of to have that kind of feel consistently while keeping things serious at the same time is the "Hero's of the Hall".  Given that all other D&D films have flopped, rightly so I might add, is history doomed to repeat itself?  I don't think so if they pick the right material/characters.  Besides seeing Drizzt Do'Urden and company on screen I would love to see Paul S. Kemp's assassin's come to life but that whole series would need an R rating to do it real justice.  Here's hoping to a movie trailer soon with a set of purple glowing eyes, then a quick sound and flash of an X being slashed through the air by twin scimitars, followed by the roar of a 600 lb panther!

I have not been interested in anything WotC in a long time (outside of DDO which isn't much to do with WotC for the most part). I'd rather see a Eberron-based movie myself. However, you say that they have not renewed any authors for the book line? Does that have anything to do with the movie? That sounds... odd.

7 hours ago, TehPW said:

I have not been interested in anything WotC in a long time (outside of DDO which isn't much to do with WotC for the most part). I'd rather see a Eberron-based movie myself. However, you say that they have not renewed any authors for the book line? Does that have anything to do with the movie? That sounds... odd.

I'm sorry to say, but that is the truth. I have most of the books on my hard drive, and no, there will be no new books. As long as the contracts are not renewed, we will not ever see any new books. :(

I quit reading Salvatore. Not only could the guy not kill off a character, but when the passage of time between D&D editions forced his hand he came up with a ridiculous reincarnation plot to bring them all back.

Wouldn't mind seeing Drizzt in a movie, though.

Yes, the reincarnation of the Hero's was a stretch, but far from a big one in the world of Faerun.  In his defense he had a whole other trilogy in mind when WoTC decided to do the Spellplauge and he managed to bring it all about in what is currently the end.  I will agree that both Bruenor and Drizzt had way too many enchanted items in the end, though given the enemies they were fighting by that point it was also warranted.  Bob, tried his damnest to keep Drizzt and company "real" and not make them chosen's of the Gods, Catti-brie being the only exception, unfortunately when your characters are literally the #1 face of the whole fantasy world, stories must be written so money can continue to pour in.  Of course the irony of that being that Drizzt was first supposed to be a "teammate" and not the star and his whole conception was thought up in less than 5 mins; thirty years later he is the most recognized fantasy character of the Realms.

23 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

Given that all other D&D films have flopped, rightly so I might add, is history doomed to repeat itself? 

13 hours ago, Dynaman said:

After seeing just a few minutes of that stink bomb D&D movie from 2000(ish) all I can see is another.

Real talent and money are required to make good movies and until it's safe studios won't invest those things into "nerdy" franchises. 

There were no big money Sci Fi movies until Star Wars blazed a trail. Right afterward you had the first Star Trek movie, Alien, etc. Then you had Superman and Batman movies that did okay but X-Men blew that wide open and now studios will throw money and talent at any comic book superhero. 

Lord of the Rings showed that you can make superb fantasy movies but I'm not sure if there are any hot non-Tolkien fantasy franchises out there other than GoT. 

Anyway my point is they can make a good D&D movie if they put the money and talent into it. But D&D would probably have to be way more popular for that to happen.