[PC-98] The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Skull Leader Complete Pack

cccmar

Hello everyone!

The Macross series has its share of great games already, no doubt about that, but mostly it boiled down to shmups and sims. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but many people would also love to see some other genres. Say, strategies or other genres. Apparently, the people at FamilySoft thought so as well, and so they made just that: a strategy, visual novel and dating sim in the Macross universe, all in one game!
Well, actually they made four games: Remember Me, Skull Leader, Love Stories and Skull Leader Complete Pack. First one is a pretty different and perhaps we'll return to it later, but the second and third ones were packed together into Complete Pack with a little more polishing, so we decided to work on that one. The story is basically a mixture of the movie/TV series with some new characters and slightly changed events.

What we need is a bit of help with it. Would be cool to have 2-3 people who could play through the 2 scenarios (Kei's/Hikaru's scenarios to be exact) and help us polish the script and iron out things a bit in general. It's mostly due to the fact that the script is fairly extensive.

So, if anyone wants to help - here's the link for the project on ROMhacking.net, you can see some screenshots there, and the bulk of the work also takes place on that site - http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24097.0.

Please, contact "celcion" for further questions. :)

Edited by cccmar

• 2 years later...

I've been on a retro gaming kick these days and I've finally come around to PC-98 emulation.  I was really excited to come across this recently.  I started to play it this weekend, and I honestly have really enjoyed playing it.  Mainly the strategy game part is what I enjoyed the most.  The visual novel and dating sim stuff is a little interesting in that it covers the DYRL story before the movie events, but it's not the highlight of the game.

A sincere thank you to all who worked on getting this translated into English and getting it working in general for emulation.  I can at least say this is one Macross fan that really appreciates all the work that went into it. :good:

Edit: Just wanted to share a little more.  After getting the emulation working on my desktop PC I wanted to see if I could get it working on my Raspberry Pi build.  Sure enough Retropie had the Neko Project II emulator built in. Just had to load the emulator and add the font file to get the English text to look better.  I think this is a slicker way to play it, and I have all my old retro games in a little gaming console.

I had to add some custom logos and images to my Retropie theme as PC-98 menu graphics didn't exist on the tronkyfran theme I like to use.IWDEMrm.jpg

npNCh1N.jpg

Edited by sharky

On 4/21/2020 at 12:18 AM, sharky said:

I've been on a retro gaming kick these days and I've finally come around to PC-98 emulation.  I was really excited to come across this recently.  I started to play it this weekend, and I honestly have really enjoyed playing it.  Mainly the strategy game part is what I enjoyed the most.  The visual novel and dating sim stuff is a little interesting in that it covers the DYRL story before the movie events, but it's not the highlight of the game.

A sincere thank you to all who worked on getting this translated into English and getting it working in general for emulation.  I can at least say this is one Macross fan that really appreciates all the work that went into it. :good:

Edit: Just wanted to share a little more.  After getting the emulation working on my desktop PC I wanted to see if I could get it working on my Raspberry Pi build.  Sure enough Retropie had the Neko Project II emulator built in. Just had to load the emulator and add the font file to get the English text to look better.  I think this is a slicker way to play it, and I have all my old retro games in a little gaming console.

I had to add some custom logos and images to my Retropie theme as PC-98 menu graphics didn't exist on the tronkyfran theme I like to use.IWDEMrm.jpg

npNCh1N.jpg

where did you find the rom? and do you have any good roms site to recomend?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...