Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

50 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

I love how the hardest part is smuggling it past your wife, but not displaying it.  Presumably she can't tell the difference with all those valkyries on display? :) 

Right - all she knows is I have tonnes of these, so another extra valk or two (or more) over time will not get as much attention.  Haha.

25 minutes ago, sumyumgoy said:

When I first glanced at it, I thought it was Saburo lol.  Beautiful set up and thanks for sharing!  I think I will try the dioder's on my next detolf.  I have led strips on my lone detolf and the light is a bit cold for my liking.  Are you using the multi-color one?

Thanks!  Before I got into collecting Valks, I had a small collection of TF masterpiece, and a couple of detolfs for these.  I had explored many options for lighting, but decided that the Ikea Dioder strips had the perfect balance between cost and ease of installation.  Strip LEDs are cheaper, but they require soldering and wiring, hence my concerns about safety. 

The detolf strip LED comes in plain or multi-color options (both are called "DIODER" by the way).  Mine are the plain ones.  The light is not a cold daylight white (4000k) but more like a warmer, soft white (2700k), that is similar to the lighting temperature in the room.  I was ok with these but it's all down to personal preference.  Cheers.

7 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks!  Before I got into collecting Valks, I had a small collection of TF masterpiece, and a couple of detolfs for these.  I had explored many options for lighting, but decided that the Ikea Dioder strips had the perfect balance between cost and ease of installation.  Strip LEDs are cheaper, but they require soldering and wiring, hence my concerns about safety. 

The detolf strip LED comes in plain or multi-color options (both are called "DIODER" by the way).  Mine are the plain ones.  The light is not a cold daylight white (4000k) but more like a warmer, soft white (2700k), that is similar to the lighting temperature in the room.  I was ok with these but it's all down to personal preference.  Cheers.

Awesome, thanks!  I'll give it a try.

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Strip LEDs are cheaper, but they require soldering and wiring, hence my concerns about safety. 

Excellent tips @rdrunner.  

Just to chime in on the strip lightning: there are some that are super easy to install without any soldering and are very cheap.  You can get a 16 foot roll for about $12.  These rolls have adhesive tape that you just peel and stick on.  All you need is scissors to cut the rolls to suit your length and a standard AC adapter for power supply.  The rolls even come with a few connectors for pieces that you cut.  No wiring or solder needed.  You can get them here.

For my cabinets, I've placed them in the "11" configuration as @rdrunner mentioned on each side, going up and across the top then back down the other side:

IMAG1668.thumb.jpg.c0c82951b28350aa04b4670230132002.jpg

Here's what it would look like for a detolf:

IMAG0113.thumb.jpg.ff622776785b9b1084e7d36a513756cd.jpg

...and here's what it would look like for multiple cabinets, daisy-chained.  I think the lighting here cost me less than $45:

IMAG0315.thumb.jpg.004e05a9e05e532b216856a261fe9646.jpg

12 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Haha thanks, the hardest parts about collecting are the wallet, and smuggling my purchases home without the wife noticing. :lol:

I thought I was the only one that had these problems, particularly sneaking stuff into the house!  :D I usually sneak my stuff in while the wife is showering...

Edited by dafob

12 minutes ago, dafob said:

Excellent tips @rdrunner.  

Just to chime in on the strip lightning: there are some that are super easy to install without any soldering and are very cheap.  You can get a 16 foot roll for about $26.  These rolls have adhesive tape that you just peel and stick on.  All you need is scissors to cut the rolls to suit your length and a standard AC adapter for power supply.  The rolls even come with a few connectors for pieces that you cut.  No wiring or solder needed.

For my cabinets, I've placed them in the "11" configuration as @rdrunner mentioned on each side, going up and across the top then back down the other side:

IMAG1668.thumb.jpg.c0c82951b28350aa04b4670230132002.jpg

Here's what it would look like for a detolf:

IMAG0113.thumb.jpg.ff622776785b9b1084e7d36a513756cd.jpg

...and here's what it would look like for multiple cabinets.  I think the lighting here cost me a total of $45:

IMAG0315.thumb.jpg.004e05a9e05e532b216856a261fe9646.jpg

I thought I was the only one that had these problems, particularly sneaking stuff into the house!  :D I usually sneak my stuff in while the wife is showering...

Wow, that is an AMAZING G1 collection, and I love your display with the backgrounds!  Grimlock blowing fire on Huffer gave me a good chuckle.  I'm also a G1 fan (but only G1, and am not a fan of the design changes post-movie). 

BTW much appreciate the tip on the LED setup and I was under the wrong impression that the LED strips needed soldering and wiring.  Do you have a link to the strip that you used on say amazon.com please?  or is it something that's really quite standard now?  Man I could have saved a lot if I had talked to you first, lol!

4 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Wow, that is an AMAZING G1 collection, and I love your display with the backgrounds!  Grimlock blowing fire on Huffer gave me a good chuckle.  I'm also a G1 fan (but only G1, and am not a fan of the design changes post-movie). 

BTW much appreciate the tip on the LED setup and I was under the wrong impression that the LED strips needed soldering and wiring.  Do you have a link to the strip that you used on say amazon.com please?  or is it something that's really quite standard now?  Man I could have saved a lot if I had talked to you first, lol!

I edited my post afterwards and added the link.  I guess that would've helped.  :)

But just in case, the link is here.

As for the G1 TF, I'm also not a big fan of stuff post movie (hence the lack of headmasters, targetmasters, etc.).  This picture was taken about a year ago and my display has since changed a bit (mainly replacement figures such as BC Steamroll/Recon, official Sunstreaker, etc.).  I'm pretty much done w/ TF and have moved on to Macross -- though my wallet is no longer on speaking terms with me since 90% were secondary market prices.  But I'm practically done w/ that too as I own almost every cannon valk in 1/48 and 1/60 scale up to MacPlus.  Only the elusive 1/60 Angel Birds left.

I also would like to post pics of my Macross display but am a bit embarrassed after seeing y'all's collections.  Most of my stuff is still in boxes due to lack of space.

Edited by dafob

6 minutes ago, dafob said:

I edited my post afterwards and added the link.  I guess that would've helped.  :)

But just in case, the link is here.

Thanks @dafob!  I see the ready-to-use connectors to link the strips to the power unit, which would reduce A LOT of wire clutter, and that is my main gripe with the dioder solution (as well as the cost).  Again, really helpful, and thanks for sharing that with us.

16 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Haha thanks, the hardest parts about collecting are the wallet, and smuggling my purchases home without the wife noticing. :lol:

3 hours ago, dafob said:

Ha! And I thought I'm the only one. Though I sneak it in when she's sleeping. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure once we get caught, this is the sound that's going to play in our head. :lol: 

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ha! And I thought I'm the only one. Though I sneak it in when she's sleeping. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure once we get caught, this is the sound that's going to play in our head. :lol: 

When I get caught...

56F33494-0723-4874-84A0-9D27D06A4942.jpeg

Edited by rdrunner

On 5/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, rdrunner said:

Work in progress... after much procrastination, I had finally bought the dioder LED sets and installed them in my detolf array. Two more arrays to be added on the right, and I need to get some cable organizers for the massive tangled spaghetti of cables on the right side. 

D4E5D702-3A54-42B9-AED8-87DDFDDD8DB3.jpeg

Those displays look fantastic! 

What I'm trying to do with mine is have the same lights mounted on the metal bars of the Detolf, with the lights angled diagonally. But it's going to cost twice as much, as you pointed out. But it'll give lighting throughout, front and back. 

Here's where I put the Dioder lights. Only half finished though.

928043895_detolflight.jpg.c65b798349f671df57f96b617cc1af0c.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I just moved, so here's my current display. Looking forward to getting everything back out of the boxes (after the hours I spent getting them back in).

Hide contents

20190512_210508.thumb.jpg.11155cb6db55c62cdec42ade51aa7782.jpg20190512_210552.thumb.jpg.13c7c297ab6f4c3979ff3b0b4b1a3316.jpg

Bubblegum Crisis?  Is that like Chewing Gum Panic? Breath Mint Emergency? 

Hee hee, sorry, just such a funny title.

7 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Bubblegum Crisis?  Is that like Chewing Gum Panic? Breath Mint Emergency? 

Hee hee, sorry, just such a funny title.

You're too young to know this title - I think it was a hit OVA in the late 80's or early 90's.:lol:

28 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

You're too young to know this title - I think it was a hit OVA in the late 80's or early 90's.:lol:

Personally I'm a fan of Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, which came out in 1998. It's just that the original is easier to find stuff for.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Remember when powered armor was strictly an anime thing?  :lol:

1027196267_poweredarmor.thumb.jpg.d2ceeb549bccde2bad5938ddeaaecb57.jpg

LOL.....Your pic includes various Iron Man creations....wasn't Iron Man a comicbook created by Americans in the 1960's?

Did you forget about American author Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 novel Starship Troopers?

"Remember when powered armor was strictly an American fiction thing?" :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

"Remember when powered armor was strictly an American fiction thing?" :rolleyes:

Of course not.  I grew up in the '80s.  ;)

745205676_childofthe80s.thumb.jpg.605b0ecb9e1649b8c9ae4d9ae1111652.jpg

Would've thought that was obvious.  :p

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

1890, apparently.

The earliest known exoskeleton-like device was a set of walking, jumping and running assisted apparatus developed in 1890 by a Russian named Nicholas Yagin.

https://www.videotesty.pl/artykul/1286/egzoszkielety-najbezpieczniejsza-forma-robotyki/

For actual pics of what he had proposed.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Of course not.  I grew up in the '80s.  ;)

Would've thought that was obvious.  :p

The only obvious thing, based on your pic and statement, was your lack of knowledge on the origins of power armors in the world of fiction. 

It was kind of funny to think someone thought power armors were a Japanese creation for anime.  Funny but not at all surprising. 

I regret my poor choice of words.  Clearly, "an anime thing" was entirely too vague and open to misinterpretation.  :unsure:

I remember a time when powered armor was only seen in Japanese animation; specifically, between 1984 and 1993.  During that decade, even Iron Man was only depicted in comic books.

These memories -- like all memories -- are based on personal experience.

11 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It was kind of funny to think someone thought power armors were a Japanese creation for anime. 

It's kind of funny you would jump to that conclusion, and assume ignorance as a result...

Funny, but not at all surprising.  :p

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

It's kind of funny you would jump to that conclusion, and assume ignorance as a result...

...and to further make yourself appear more uninformed you point out that "growing up" in the 80's is an excuse for being ignorant of anything that came before...

Ohwow.jpg

Headmasters and Powermasters Transformers!  They came after MOSPEADA I think.  Uchuu no Senshi (Starship Troopers) is also late 80's though the book was 1959.  I believe this should be common knowledge for those in this forum?

16 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Headmasters and Powermasters Transformers!  They came after MOSPEADA I think.  Uchuu no Senshi (Starship Troopers) is also late 80's though the book was 1959.  I believe this should be common knowledge for those in this forum?

Super Sonic Warrior Borgman? But it probably came a couple years after MOSPEADA. 

11 hours ago, DewPoint said:

While the powered exoskeleton or powered armor concept is nothing new and has been around in real life and fiction long before 80's anime, the designs as we anime fans think of today probably starts with illustrations seen in the 1977 Japanese translated printing by Hayakawa Bunko of Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The illustrations done by Katou Naoyuki and the mech design by Miyatake Kazutaka (both who were with Studio Nue). This design is considered by some anime fans to be the starting point of Gundam and all other anime-style powered suits and "real robot" piloted mech.

img-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

While the powered exoskeleton or powered armor concept is nothing new and has been around in real life and fiction long before 80's anime, the designs as we anime fans think of today probably starts with illustrations seen in the 1977 Japanese translated printing by Hayakawa Bunko of Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The illustrations done by Katou Naoyuki and the mech design by Miyatake Kazutaka (both who were with Studio Nue). This design is considered by some anime fans to be the starting point of Gundam and all other anime-style powered suits and "real robot" piloted mech.

img-1.jpg

Ahh, Tomahawk Destroid's Grandpappy. 

• 2 weeks later...