Macross Collection Display Thread

KiriK

A nit-pick, but it's SV-51γ, not SV-51Y. (as in, gamma)

haha... thanks, i'll see if i can change it since the Stencil font is all caps. I'll see if i can insert a gamma symbol instead. I'm not even sure if i got most of the names right on all my labels since i had to look them up at various places on Macross Mecha Manual, or the Toy Release Thread or somewhere else.

Awesome pics all...I'd post up my small little collection, but it's stashed in boxes, and not display ready. Waiting to move into the house. Some of you know the stuff I have, and most, if not all of it, has been shown. Keep those pics coming.

I told my wife that when we finally are able to purchase a house I'm going to convert one room into the "nerdery" where I will have a desk with three monitors for hardcore videogaming and a big display case full of toy goodness.

be sure to post pics when you do! I'm curious to see how you'd display your valks after reviewing them individually.

Also, if anyone is curious about seeing the rest of my collection in detail (including Transformers), i posted them on TFW since i didn't want to take up too much space in this thread as i already have:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-collection-showcase/157678-bees-collection-transformers-most-you-guys-already-have-plus-more-3.html#post5482326

Thought we had similar thread before?

ANyway, here's what's left

4856972686_4e65cf2231_z.jpg

you KNOW you have a serious collection when you have cases inside your cases. B))

btw what is your display cabinet? Its the kind I want but hard to find, I dont like detolfs!!

I told my wife that when we finally are able to purchase a house I'm going to convert one room into the "nerdery" where I will have a desk with three monitors for hardcore videogaming and a big display case full of toy goodness.

That's basically what I did with my home office. One side of the room is computer stuff and the other side I have some select items on display. It's still a work in progress as I need to buy better furniture. Some of the stuff is just junk I've had since college. Tell you what though, playing games in 5760x1080 resolution is awesome. The panoramic view fills your peripheral vision and feels much more immersive. Also, just having 3 screens worth of desktop space is nice.

Man, I really need to get a 4th detolf so I can add more things and re-organize my displays.

post-10222-129264575878_thumb.jpgpost-10222-129264548314_thumb.jpgpost-10222-129264576906_thumb.jpg

My Father came over and checked out my Man cave. Boy at 38 years old I got chastised as if I was 16. Comments like your insane, don't you feel embarrassed having toys in display cases. I told him about the value and asked him to hold some of SOC but he said it didn't matter. He asked why don't I collect stamps, or paintings or china. Sigh, After that visit he really put a damper on my mood. He asked me what do I do I see in all this plastic. I told him the engineering and love that went into creating them. He wouldn't have any of it. Basically he told me I would not be included in the Will if I didn't get rid of them.

And to my surprise he called me abnormal for having a 100 gallon aquarium, saying that is something only crazy people have.

Have any of you experienced this and how did you handle it.

My Father came over and checked out my Man cave. Boy at 38 years old I got chastised as if I was 16. Comments like your insane, don't you feel embarrassed having toys in display cases. I told him about the value and asked him to hold some of SOC but he said it didn't matter. He asked why don't I collect stamps, or paintings or china. Sigh, After that visit he really put a damper on my mood. He asked me what do I do I see in all this plastic. I told him the engineering and love that went into creating them. He wouldn't have any of it. Basically he told me I would not be included in the Will if I didn't get rid of them.

And to my surprise he called me abnormal for having a 100 gallon aquarium, saying that is something only crazy people have.

lol... i always say these things to myself in my head... :lol: (to prevent myself from spending too much!)

my dad was kinda okay when he saw my collection... he probably figured, i've finally learned how to take care of my toys (after breaking/destroying pretty much every toy he bought for me when i was a kid).

but at 38 yo, it should be easy to just tune out the haters... even if it's your own dad :ph34r:

I can't teach you how to deal with this, but I can only offer some possible suggestions to why he is behaving the way he is.

I guess your father must be about close to 70 years old or so? I guess you have to accept the fact that he came from a different socio-economic background with a different set of upbringing and worldview, and also we must also understand that people of that era are not trained to look at perspectives other than their own, and they have no/little chance to have been exposed to different perspectives as we have

Thus some things you do just seem absurd to him no matter how hard you try to convince him. its pretty much like some of the things/attitudes the teenagers/kids do/have nowadays that seem perfectly normal to them but yet we look sort of disapprovingly at them... eg, the amount of time kids spend on Facebook and uploading photos and other intimate details indiscriminately

I suspect he is outraged by what he deems as frivolous spending, spending money on "kids' playthings"/ extravagant stuff that doesn't serve any purpose, in contrast to his time where he might have had to scrimp and save and take on jobs even as a teenager, and things he bought were for the sake of family rather than for individual amusement.

He might be unimpressed with the re-sale value of the toys, because he might be of the opinion that only "crazy" people would be interested in these things, and none of the people around him are that "crazy", and therefore, isn't convinced. The things he mentioned are the "mainstream" collectors items of his time and thus what he considers "normal", and basically what he knows. What he doesn't realize is times have changed, and he cannot apply his previous experiences to what is happening in the world right now.

Maybe you should just hide your collection the next time he visits.

Edited by BlueMax

I can't teach you how to deal with this, but I can only offer some possible suggestions to why he is behaving the way he is.

I guess your father must be about close to 70 years old or so? I guess you have to accept the fact that he came from a different socio-economic background with a different set of upbringing and worldview, and also we must also understand that people of that era are not trained to look at perspectives other than their own, and they have no/little chance to have been exposed to different perspectives as we have

Thus some things you do just seem absurd to him no matter how hard you try to convince him. its pretty much like some of the things/attitudes the teenagers/kids do/have nowadays that seem perfectly normal to them.

I suspect he is outraged by what he deems as frivolous spending, spending money on "kids' playthings"/ extravagant stuff that doesn't serve any purpose, in contrast to his time where he might have had to scrimp and save and take on jobs even as a teenager, and things he bought were for the sake of family rather than for individual amusement.

He might be unimpressed with the re-sale value of the toys, because he might be of the opinion that only "crazy" people would be interested in these things, and none of the people around him are that "crazy", and therefore, isn't convinced. The things he mentioned are the "mainstream" collectors items of his time and tius what he considers "normal", and basically what he knows. What he doesn't realize is times have changed, and he cannot apply his previous experiences to what is happening in the world right now.

Maybe you should just hide our collection the next time he visits.

Spot on!

This is what I am thinking. I have taken a lot out of the display cases and left in the " mature " looking collectibles ie. the Fighter jets from Macross and the Binaltech Cars. And yes he is of the 70s range. And yes in his time money was spent on Family although he had his toys, ie skiing equipment and Women!.....Now he seems to be collecting tools. The guy has more tools than a large sub contracting outfit. Sure he loves remodeling his houses but I think he has more than enough. Even tho I have a savings account with contributions to RRSPs and Mutual funds and my kids are best dressed and attending piano lessons and tennis lessons I am still upset about his comments. I would think I would not be affected about his criticisms even at my age and independence. As for the Will I dont care but I do wish to see my kids get his four houses. I have decided to thin out the display cases and leave them there. I guess you just cant teach an old dog new tricks. Funny I consider myself more open and progressive than his generation. I tried showing him some of the just outstanding and " Respectable" collection pics from MW members and Dalong's website outlining that over the last few years the collection of High End Mecha toys has grown. His comment, were all nuts and in need of serious psychological help with our insecurities. That may be so but as long as we are financially responsible and dont actually harm anyone other than the poor workers in China that make our stuff it should be considered a NON GEEK thing to do. I bet if you see WallStreet dudes with our collections it would be the in thing!

I've just learned to accept the fact that my parents are quite unstable and rather than fight with them when they visit, I just put my toys away (while leaving a few bits out so they have something to complain about since complaining is how they eek out happiness in this world) and take them back out when they leave.

Of course, it helps that we live 400 miles away from them. ^_^

Wow! Impressive collections, guys! Hope to have a room I can display all my stuff someday which is currently in storage. Never knew GBP stood for Grenade Box Protector. Learn something new everyday.

I had an ex-gf tell me I had too much stuff, but then again, she was too stubborn to realize she was nitpicking about something that gives me a lot of enjoyment when I could be a major loser like the last guy she was with. My family doesn't razz me about my collecting. They don't understand it, but they realize it's something that I really like. As long as I'm not putting myself in debt, they don't care I guess. Even if it takes awhile, I'm not going to settle for a woman who has issues with my stuff either. I know I'm a geek, and I'd rather hook up with a chick who is as much of a geek or collector as I am if not a little moreso as long as it's not detrimental to our relationship.

I guess I'm kind of lucky that my parents are more than understanding of my collecting habits. in fact I think I can safely blame most of it on my dad.

As far back as I can remember my Dad has always been into collecting all manner of things; Sports memorabilia, comic books, trading cards, statues and figures, etc. etc. Growing up we had very little normal art around the house; we had lithographs and framed animation cells, and what more conventional stuff we did have was all traditional Japanese art. as a little kid are weekends consisted of either going to local comic shops or going to card shows at the mall. To this day are garage is filled with boxes of comic books and mint on card action figures.

when I started buying toys and figures of my own, pretty much everything was just more anime versions of what my dad had been buying for years so it wasn't every surprising.

so basically I'm doomed to the life of an esoteric hobbyist because I come from a line of esoteric hobbyists. :wacko:

Before I fully opened up your first pic I thought you shaped your drapes into the diamond shaped insignia/emblem of Macross (not sure what it's officially called)....lol, now it's giving me ideas.

:lol:

That's basically what I did with my home office. One side of the room is computer stuff and the other side I have some select items on display. It's still a work in progress as I need to buy better furniture. Some of the stuff is just junk I've had since college. Tell you what though, playing games in 5760x1080 resolution is awesome. The panoramic view fills your peripheral vision and feels much more immersive. Also, just having 3 screens worth of desktop space is nice.

Man, I really need to get a 4th detolf so I can add more things and re-organize my displays.

post-10222-129264575878_thumb.jpgpost-10222-129264548314_thumb.jpgpost-10222-129264576906_thumb.jpg

Before I fully opened up your first pic I thought you shaped your drapes into the diamond shaped insignia/emblem of Macross (not sure what it's officially called)....lol, now it's giving me ideas.

Ha! Now that's an idea. I could dye the drapes red, tie up the bottom of the drapes together to form the bottom half of the kite and draw a big circle around the whole thing.

Actually I was thinking of getting rid of the drapes altogether. I installed the blinds when I bought the house but left the drapes on thinking they might help block out sunlight better, but they don't do much so I'm gonna take them off when I get the inclination to.

My father used to give me a hard time like that several years ago and asked me the same thing. However, the counter to that was the fact that my interest was the catalyst for meeting my beautiful wife, and the reason why I have an even broader group of friends than I had before. Not that number of friends mattered, cause I have lots, but my parents have met some really good friends of mine and have been impressed with them. I think the wife was what put it all in perspective. It's not just about the collections, but about collaborating, and sharing interests with other friends and all. In that context, is it really that crazy? How many guys collect junk cars, or spend time collecting tools they'll hardly ever use? It's all perspective.

Some people don't understand why you collect figures (don't call them toys any more because i don't think you wanna give a fragile 100$+ figure to a kid).

I on the other hand don't understand why people actually give money to see 22 idiots chase after a ball each week (or any other sport), but when you raise that topic they just walk away...

My parents accept the fact that they can't change me, it's not like i'm a drug addict, but some people are hard to please.

Other subject: do you collectors always put all decals on your yamato figures?

I am happy to say I can't relate on family members disapproving. My mom probably disapproves but she sees how much I enjoy the things so she doesn't say a peep. Recently when I sold off a bunch of my 1/48s I told my dad about the auctions on eBay and he said, "WHAT? Noooo what are you doing? These things are so cool!" He's early to mid 50s and has been nice enough to let me use some storage space at his house while I've bumped around from apartment to a small rental home. My wife is jealous of my toys. She sees them and says things like "I wish I had better hobbies."

Very nice set up MacrossJunkie, that is very similar to what I have in mind. As I create my "nerdery" I will also be upgrading from some stale college-era furniture to some classier stuff.

My father questioned me as well for my collecting. I just don't let him go in that room anymore, and he's perfectly happy staying out of it. I just told my father one day that I collect because it's my hobby. It doesn't matter if it's toys or cars or stamps or whatever. Collecting is collecting, and I do it because it gives me a reprieve from daily responsibilities. Some people golf, others go tinker on their cars; I take my valkyrie and go "fwoosh!" I work in a stressful financial environment, dealing with client's retirement savings, etc. I have a mortgage, I financially take care of my girlfriend, (and probably her mother too in the near future if things continue as they are), and I'll be having kids in a couple of years. Toys are how I relieve stress so I don't have a mental breakdown. Whenever things get too stressful, I just take a look at my VF-1S or my Super Powers Superman toy, and all is well with the world, because I remember how it was as a kid to enjoy these things. I really think a lot of problems with people is that they have lost touch with what it was like to be a kid. Everything is so serious all the time. Honestly, if my father had ever taken an interest in me as a kid, then maybe we'd have a closer relationship today. I look forward to the day when I have my own kids and we go into Toys R Us and geek out over a toy together, or plan a family trip to San Diego Comiccon. Even my girlfriend, who grudgingly accepts my toy habit, doesn't quite understand it, but she does know that on some theraputic level, it evens me out. Plus, I always tell people it could be worse. I could be into collecting other women's phone numbers and cheating on my girlfriend.

Really, you guys have awesome collections. Not everyone will understand it, nor should we expect them to. It is what it is.

Your Dad sounds awesome, old school. Just ignore him, sounds like you or your kids don`t need his money anyway. I hate people that change their own lives to inherit money they didn`t have any part in earning. Why do people feel entitled to money their parents earned? I keep telling my Dad to live it up in his retirement and spend every cent (of which he has a few) because I don`t want it.

On the "Father Approval" note, my dad passed a long time ago.

But, I think he would've given me the big thumbs up!

Hell, he started my hobbying mind set with models, electric trains, Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars even M.A.S.K.

I think he and I would be still hitting the toy stores with my son looking for the bigger better deal.

I believe he felt the need for a hobby was crucial to helping a person grow.

His big deal was fishing and fixing cars.

Me? I went but didn't get it the way he did.

I think he saw that and kinda changed his plan to a smaller scale and it worked (but I still love classic muscle cars).

Nowadays I look at my son and see him and his RPG's and poke/baku/yugi/digimon world and laugh.

I may not be a fan of them but its what's got his eye and far be it from me to preach otherwise.

And in the future I visit him and he has a mancave on par with mine I will be proud then I'll hand him the still sealed reissue Japanese Ultra Magnus I bought him when he was 18mos old. B))

All I can say to you, is don't let it get you down.

You built that collection for your pleasure not his.

(Much respect)

Back on topic. . .

I gotta redo the lights in my main case the bulbs are just too hot.

Not to drag on but. . .

One of my wife's friends recently came over and kinda put me on the spot about my colection too.

I just told her its my thing and (jokingly) "better this than another woman. . "

:lol::lol::lol:

She didn't take it too well at first. . . :rolleyes:

But after she heard about the cost of time and money that went into it she eased up and saw it for the stress reliever it really is.

Again its your/our hobby, if some people don't want you to enjoy it then just keep them seperate.

We are all grown enough to enjoy/pay for these items, we've worked long and hard to have them.

So display them with pride and joy. ;)

Hearing all these stories about Parent's Disaproving and ex-GF is familer to me.

I had a X a few years back that was trying to convince me to give it all up and take up what her family liked. And all I said to that was. I was into collecting way before I met you. And it is a part of me. The relationship failed. But I have a new partner that understands.

And I have had the parents issue to. The accept it now, knowing that they will not change me. But I had to debate for a while. And when I showed the cost compared to my brothers Motorbike collection they changed there mind. And the fact that it gives me pleasure and as others have said about compairing it to spending money at the pub to watch idiots run up and down a field chasing a ball, while attempting to hug each other (rugbe league/union). Most people usually shut up and walk away.

I just think there is this old stigmar about it being toys and no one sees that quality and engineering that go into them. But times are changing and it is more acceptable. As they say Nerds will inherit the earth. And I think more and more people are collecting.

that's my 2 cents worth

So much angst. Do any of you pilot Gundams ;)

My old man got me into modelling when I was 5 (I'm 50+ now) and my mother was a sci-fi tragic so if they were around now they wouldn't have too much to say as it was their fault anyway :p

Other subject: do you collectors always put all decals on your yamato figures?

I don't for a couple of reasons.

1. It looks more anime correct as apart from the kite and the skull you don't really see too many other markings. (Gundam is much the same)

2. I think the resale value is higher if they don't have the decals on (just my feeling)

Edited by thegunny

So much angst. Do any of you pilot Gundams ;)

My Strike is in the shop at the moment for a new spray of coating so i have to drive my old MK II around the whole time ;). Gonna have to save up to buy a new Freedom, goes alot more flymiles to the gallon with his nucleair power supply and the girls love the smooth ride :lol:

I think my father approved of it and was fine with it once he put it all in perspective. I have a wife, great job, nice car, and with all that, can still afford to put away and still collect. Don't get me wrong, I don't question people and their sports hobbies. I am an avid football and basketball fan, so I know how fun that can be. Most collectors don't buy stuff for the resale value, either. It's nice at times, but it's the satisfaction of getting something you've been looking for, waiting for, and the thrill of the hunt.

And to answer the question of decals, I don't put on the decals, unless I'm customizing a toy, then I'll make it more realistic, but other than that, they stay as they came out of the box. Anyone else got any pics of their displays?

. . .Most collectors don't buy stuff for the resale value, either. It's nice at times, but it's the satisfaction of getting something you've been looking for, waiting for, and the thrill of the hunt.

And to answer the question of decals, I don't put on the decals, unless I'm customizing a toy, then I'll make it more realistic, but other than that, they stay as they came out of the box. Anyone else got any pics of their displays?

I'm with you on both points bro . . .

I don't buy these to look at resale value it may be sorta lucritive but its not my cup of tea.

Its the thrill of the hunt and display on a shelf that keeps me going.

Like a lot of us here have damn sweet displays, and at anytime we like we can pull a toy down and relive a scene or make our own.

Its about that feeling we had as kids when we first got a cool toy we wanted.

For some the "Whooshing" around, others just seting them up in the display is a rush.

Just seeing a tangible piece of our childhood/imagination sitting there is almost as cool as seeing/piloting it in real life.

:D

And also I'm a mostly no stickers kind of guy.

Unless it is a typically shown feature in the show or really necessary for display (color/identifier/designator).

I don't like the way they curl up and or fade over time on display.

I'm no fan of stickers either. The only exception is the YF-19's fighting kite emblem on the sides of the neck. Would have been nice if they could tampo it on, but I guess the way the two parts split apart might pose a problem.

DARKWIND: I don't like the way they curl up and or fade over time on display.

This is just a theory, but could it be due to residual mold release on the plastic? It's common practice for model kit builders to wash their kits with soapy water to get rid of any mold grease that might prevent any paint or topcoat from adhering.

I guess I'm in the minority. I'm a sticker Guy. I have no plans to sale any of the things I collect, and I think valks look better with more detail to them. I'm pretty anal about stickering up my toys, and it usually takes me several hours to put them all on. I clean the toys first with alcohol, and trim away all the excess on the stickers. They look so much better that way.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/37277531@N00/873510682/sizes/m/

Away from home so I hope this will make up for some of my rambling