8 minutes ago, barurutor said:

The robot spirits Q-rare might look undersized compared to Hi-metal R, they're more in scale with the revoltech battroids as seen from jenius' site:

VF-25F-Bandai-RS-7B.jpg

here's the 1/60 Q-rau compared to the 1/60 Yamato v2 in battroid (again from jenius' site):

Bandai-RS-Q-Rare-6.jpg

Thanks! I figured it would be too small but it's still close enough to work. Anyways, nbd. I'm glad I finally will have the 1/60 and can hope HMR takes care of the 1/100

hey macross peeps,
                               i'm beginning a project taking out my entire yamato, arcadia and bandai collection to reinforce each box so they keep their shape. As some of you with large collections may have discovered, over time when stacking boxes, the side walls and lids of the box begin to lose their integrity and bow under other the weight of other valk boxes. To start the project, i bought a roll of clear cellophane, the same material that mandarake and jungle uses to maintain the integrity of their boxes and i'm cutting thin strips to bandage around each box to act as a brace.
i'll post a few updates and hopefully be able to stack them without worry when i'm done:)

Tak8hFul.jpg

:)bZJp2Qfl.png?1

Edited by davidwhangchoi
updated adjusting pic sizes

29 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

one box done! looks mint:)

YNh13fMl.png?1

i honestly recommend those with big MISB and MIB collections to reinforce their boxes. 

If you don't stack them they won't bow....but if you do not have the space yours is a good idea.

Make sure that you still store them inside another box or you may get an imprint of the cross shape if dust gets on the rest of the uncovered parts of the box....

If you still need to stack them and do not want to place them into another box...maybe cover it so that only the top and bottom is exposed if you do not want to waste too much of the cellophane wrap.

51 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Very nice but all I see is an endless amount of work for me to do that with two storage sheds filled to the brim with misbs. I don't even care at this point as long as the toys are good and the boxes legible.:D

dig them out! it's so worth it;)

19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

If you don't stack them they won't bow....but if you do not have the space yours is a good idea.

Make sure that you still store them inside another box or you may get an imprint of the cross shape if dust gets on the rest of the uncovered parts of the box....

If you still need to stack them and do not want to place them into another box...maybe cover it so that only the top and bottom is exposed if you do not want to waste too much of the cellophane wrap.

thanks for the tips! i live in an apartment  by the city so i have to stack boxes to manage space

i have 2 max vf-1a's but this last box was so out of shape that i couldn't use thin strips like mandarake but had to wrap the whole surface like Jungle but it looks like it's ok now:

iU80wBDh.png

Edited by davidwhangchoi
adjusting pic sizes

16 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

dig them out! it's so worth it;)

thanks for the tips! i live in an apartment  by the city so i have to stack boxes to manage space

i have 2 max vf-1a's but this last box was so out of shape that i couldn't use thin strips like mandarake but had to wrap the whole surface like Jungle but it looks like it's ok now:

iU80wBDh.png

Trust me, everytime I look through my storage my mind is blown by what I find. Every box I open is filled with gems, many of which I don't even remember buying. FWIW, most of my stuff is boxed away in bigger cardboard boxes or plastic bins. Both methods suprisingly protect the contents very well even if the cardboard boxes get a little crushed from overstacking. I try to pack the boxes and stack them in a way that helps preserve everything but sometimes it doesn't work out exactly as you want when you are overflowing with boxes. I need to go through it all to find stuff to sell and also find the one 1:48 Valk I own, Max with Super Parts. With my luck, it's in a box under everything else in the back of one of the storage rooms so I'll basically never get to it.

16 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

FWIW, most of my stuff is boxed away in bigger cardboard boxes [snip]. even if the cardboard boxes get a little crushed from overstacking. I try to pack the boxes and stack them in a way that helps preserve everything but sometimes it doesn't work out exactly as you want when you are overflowing with boxes.

wow! that's exactly what i do with my valks in storage. there's 2 parts of my closet: (bunch of pics incoming)

the bottom of my closet is boxed in a bigger box stacked on top of another box:

dtSjRyrl.jpg

pxZaxEql.jpg

and the insides how they are padded and stacked

lWxFSNgl.jpg

bottom of the box

e9L1JFvl.jpg

the top shelf of the closet doesn't have room to fit into another box and it's packed all the way to back with valks stacked on each other. which is the reason i need to reinforce the boxes.

don't know if there's enough light to see up there but there's piles of valks stacked on top of each other with no room for addition bins because the opening is so small i have to slide in/out one valk at a time.

lhjbcnkl.jpg

jSlyndll.jpg

0Y3Wamnl.jpg

if i had more room i'd store it in a bin but the upper shelf opening is too small.  but the bottom of the closet i do what you do and put them in an outer box:)

33 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

wow! that's exactly what i do with my valks in storage. there's 2 parts of my closet: (bunch of pics incoming)

the bottom of my closet is boxed in a bigger box stacked on top of another box:

dtSjRyrl.jpg

pxZaxEql.jpg

and the insides how they are padded and stacked

lWxFSNgl.jpg

bottom of the box

e9L1JFvl.jpg

the top shelf of the closet doesn't have room to fit into another box and it's packed all the way to back with valks stacked on each other. which is the reason i need to reinforce the boxes.

don't know if there's enough light to see up there but there's piles of valks stacked on top of each other with no room for addition bins because the opening is so small i have to slide in/out one valk at a time.

lhjbcnkl.jpg

jSlyndll.jpg

0Y3Wamnl.jpg

if i had more room i'd store it in a bin but the upper shelf opening is too small.  but the bottom of the closet i do what you do and put them in an outer box:)

Haha, that's a familiar scene to a lot of people here I'm sure! I could make a full time job out of organizing my boxes. 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

toy storage p0rn!

yeah man it's good to bust them out and see the whole collection since i plan to wrap everyone of them.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Who needs a closet of clothes when you have a closet full of Valks? ^_^

Kidding aside. That's a good idea, David. Thanks for sharing! ;)

you welcome! hopefully you guys get some wrapping in too:lol:

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Hey David, how many valk boxes do you think can be stacked before bowing ensues?

I have some of my doubles bubbled wrapped and stacked, but now I'm worried about the bowing.

mine starting bowing with just 3 valks stack on top. i couldn't see bc they were in bubble wrap. 

my yf-19 boxes you can see them bending with just two items stack on top.

cUZyS0E.jpg

2 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Ordered some last night ^_^ Im gonna start with part of the collection this weekend

awesome! please post some pics when you're done wrapping =)

UPDATE:

just finished wrapping a few more last night and want to show the difference between a nice mint box unwrapped vs. a mint box wrapped:

8BnyN4Fl.png?1

eaUbhwpl.png

3OtfmE5l.png

Hk0IJuMl.png

Edited by davidwhangchoi
adjust pic size

I do not mean to raise any unverified concern, but the one thing I have noticed is that none of the valks I own have any yellowing.  None are wrapped to the degree you are going for.  If anything, I just use single sheets of bubble wrap between boxes to avoid scuffing between boxes.

Is there any additional value in sealing a toy for the long term, other than maintaining the integrity of the box's shape? Or will keeping it sealed the way you are showing cause any chemical reactions to "stay trapped" within the box and cause premature damage to the valk?

:unknw:

nope. none of my valks are yellowed and they've been sitting in storage boxed in a closed spaced bubble wrapped.  any mythological chemicals reactions would've happened by now as every yamato and arcadia vf-1 sits  between two plastic trays completely cut off from air. unless you poke holes if your vf-1 trays, there's no difference.  i think there's a lot of myths out there but let's not go into that here. 

the majority i'm using strips which slide off except a few boxes that i want to wrap fully.  

i'm doing this so i can stack my boxes, not protect them, as they lose shape as seen in the comparison photos.   

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

nope. none of my valks are yellowed and they've been sitting in storage boxed in a closed spaced bubble wrapped.  any mythological chemicals reactions would've happened by now as every yamato and arcadia vf-1 sits  between two plastic trays completely cut off from air. unless you poke holes if your vf-1 trays, there's no difference.  i think there's a lot of myths out there but let's not go into that here.  

I wouldn't mind hearing about these myths. We can start a new thread if you want to bog this thread down.

did a few more boxes tonight:)

the newer style vf-1 boxes that do not have lids don't need much strips to wrap as you don't have to worry about having a lid.

nxg6TBIm.jpg

on the cav's box it's been laying flat for a while and you can see the bends on the side flaps. so i'm going to add minimal reinforcement there:

RfBpqCD.jpg

OW3JbtC.jpg

z1s6MJV.jpg

3UjyGEv.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

It's great to see your collection David, very impressive!  You've also made some very good suggestions with regard to storage.  I didn't realize how easily the boxes can bend, I'll need to be more careful in the future.  I really like the way you've displayed the boxes inside of the bookcase, nicely done. B))