All credit does go to Lancelot for yet another fantastic build and paint job!

These 1:72 kits are a very fiddly, flimsy and fragile! if you are not careful or too heavy handed it will literally fall to bits in your hand! We were just taking the gunpod off the hand so to switch it from gerwalk to fighter mode and it just broke off! Had to superglue it back on.. Its quite a bit smaller than I had expected compared to the 1/60 line but now I couldn't imagine having any of the 1/100 line.. they must be tiny!

All credit does go to Lancelot for yet another fantastic build and paint job!

These 1:72 kits are a very fiddly, flimsy and fragile! if you are not careful or too heavy handed it will literally fall to bits in your hand! We were just taking the gunpod off the hand so to switch it from gerwalk to fighter mode and it just broke off! Had to superglue it back on.. Its quite a bit smaller than I had expected compared to the 1/60 line but now I couldn't imagine having any of the 1/100 line.. they must be tiny!

That looks great. Does he have an Alps printer or something? Wondering how he made the decals for the pilot name and the squadron insignias.

That looks great. Does he have an Alps printer or something? Wondering how he made the decals for the pilot name and the squadron insignias.

You actually don't need a special printer for decals. You can use a laser or inkjet printer with some of the new decal papers that are available.

Here's a video that might help:

It's specifically talking about wargaming, but the process will work for any plastic model or toy, that you're wanting to use waterslide transfer decals on.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

Yes, you are correct, you dont need special printer for decals. This is true until you want to print with WHITE ink.

For decals with lots of white part, modellers usually use the White decals and trim but I dont think that was possible for the text that small.

Yes, you are correct, you dont need special printer for decals. This is true until you want to print with WHITE ink.

For decals with lots of white part, modellers usually use the White decals and trim but I dont think that was possible for the text that small.

This.

I've made decals before and sometimes using white decal paper is enough to get the job done, but when you need things like small white lettering or complex insignias that has both white and transparent portions, it's just not possible to do. There is a custom I want to do with a 1/60 VF-1 assembly kit, but without being able to make my own white lettering, I have to put it on hold indefinitely.

There are some printers that will print white, but those are probably more than most people want to spend on a printer.

You actually don't need a special printer for decals. You can use a laser or inkjet printer with some of the new decal papers that are available.

Here's a video that might help:

It's specifically talking about wargaming, but the process will work for any plastic model or toy, that you're wanting to use waterslide transfer decals on.

Ah, that last bit about the light layer of clear coat is what I needed to know so I can finish my custom VF-4 decals.

Guest davidwhangchoi

hey yep! good guess! hehe! :p:D

I did ask him if he wanted his name blocked out but he said he was ok having it shown.. ^_^

you should've named your son Roy Focker :p

In fact I did want to give him Max as a middle name but at the time I never mentioned the reference to Macross to the ex and the fact that we had a cat called Max which she didn't like cos he didn't like her and scratched her a few times. So that's as close as it ever got..

Name him Focker, than :p

Mom would kill me because she doesn't want her grand kids to suffer dutch names, like she and her siblings did, so that's out... Also, my last name begins with an F, so not going to do that...

The printers you guys are wanting are called ALPS printers. They print using a opaque coloured resin impregnanted onto a tape cassette. Besides the usual colours they are the only desktop printers that can do white and metallics. The bad news is twofold. They are no longer made BUT you can still get the ink cassettes as they are hugely popular printers.

Second, they are between 900NZD and 1300NZD for a refurbished model out of Hongkong etc.

The MD 5000 is the one you want. They carry 5 film cassettes and do 2400DPI resolution!

MD5000_printer_3.jpg

http://www.alps-printer.com/

I'm looking at getting one to do the Hallway display models with my own logos.

I looked into this a few years ago and was very close to buying one. I thought the chance to sell custom decals for folks would pay for the printer, but then had some very good discussion with someone who used to do exactly this and the advice was that the maintenance costs for the printer would always keep profitability out of reach.

That, and I haven't learned Illustrator or any other Vector based graphics utility well enough to ever make my time investment pay off.

If you want it for yourself and can justify its expense, that's an entirely different situation.

Edited by mickyg

I used to have my own afterhours signwriting business, before racing and Army studies and deployments took too much of my time up, called Slydesigns, then AsylumArt, doing door paint on airforce helos, APC names, Unit logos, Drift car full wraps and Motox helmet airbrushing. I still have the airbrushes, vinyl cutters and the Design programs which I use to camo up real steel and airsoft rifles.

Might just give this a go if I can convince the wife.

My own ride... make an interesting macross scheme...

65983_437570536990_545511990_5710771_707

Edited by NZEOD

Ok, so this technically isn't part of my Macross collection, but this has kind of become my "catch all" place to display things that don't have a home anywhere else as all my display cabinets are filled to overflowing! The Robotech/Voltron stuff I had as a kid in 85ish and the DVD's were the last unedited versions, which I think are better, and the artwork on the cases and DVD's were from all 3 of the original Japenese shows and is absolutely gorgeous. The Aliens are crap toys because of the fantastically horrible ball joints. They look great, but don't buy them. Two broke right out of the package. The rest are all models I have built over the last couple of years.

post-11393-0-53039900-1439134214_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-60574700-1439134261_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-04104300-1439134280_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-09803600-1439134297_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-55345100-1439134316_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-49413900-1439134350_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-80712900-1439134365_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Very nice and clean displays Lolicon! And you did a great job with the lighting! Seems to work very effectively and everything seems to be illuminated very well!

Im thinking of reworking my lighting system for a better and more even spread of light. My displays seem to have a few dark and shadowy spots and it bugs me a bit..