3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Lol! You just knew it was coming when he finally stoped the first time, and it was so satisfying when it did. :rofl:

On 5/22/2020 at 9:14 PM, Black Valkyrie said:

Gonna watch it this weekend, the original theatrical version that came in the 2004 DVD boxset, my fave movie of all time, in one word ... perfect. 

Really after watching it, it really has a mature story and appreciate all the staff who worked on making it, a true classic.   You have to say what was disney thinking ?  They'll really ruined the franchise.  For me SW is OT and thats it. 

"Bring my shuttle" 

Well, the wife agreed to watch New Hope Saturday night and Empire Sunday night, we were going to go for ROTJ last night on the 25th of May, which would have been cool, but we didn't get there, day got away from us.  You never turn down the chance to watch Sci-Fi with your wife when she agrees to watch it!

After re watching the Blu-Ray releases of the 1st two, I knew what I was getting, she hasn't watched them for many, many years, and she actually called out most of the newer digital scenes, and said "wait, that's not the original!" -- Good job honey! :wub:.  She's like "why don't they just release the originals without all that computer junk in it?" Yes honey why indeed.... 

I must say --- even as a huge SW fan, I know every line and scene by heart, and I know I'm gonna have to DUCK and HIDE when I say this..buuuuut I stand by my grown up adult assessment of New Hope..I'm sorry, but it's boring.  At least up until they get on the Death Star. Yes, yes, I know it's a classic and the first one, and Lucas directed it, but when you pop in Empire, things just get better IMMEDIATELY!  Lucas directing is I think the thing that hurt New Hope the most. Looking back, I understand why he did it, it was HIS, and he wanted to own it and he had zero idea if it was going to flop no matter if he directed it or not.  With ESB,  the editing/pacing of the story is tighter, WAY more serious, and with Kershner's direction, and William's EPIC musical score, it's really hard to find many flaws with it as a whole.  The Special Edition tweaks and re-tweaks are annoying in some spots yes, YOU SHOULD NEVER CHANGE A JAMES EARL JONES LINE...EVER!!!  "Bring my shuttle" DAMMIT!  Most of the background cleanups and changes I can look past on ESB. 

I pre-warned the wife that when we do watch the Blu-Ray edition of Jedi, it's gonna be...rough...LOL. 

Star Wars, when it first came out, felt like is was FLYING along the entire time.  Two things to remember.  First off is that movies of mid seventies were slower paced then movies just a few years later.  The other item to remember is that so much visually cool stuff, yes even sand was cool in SW unlike the prequels, that it was moving along at a fast clip the first time people watched it.  ESB could only move at the pace it does due to SW having laid the foundation.

• azrael changed the title to Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker, available on home video
  • 3 months later...

Me neither; perhaps when it hits regular cable TV, but likely not even then... TLJ was, to me (and I watched it for free just to see what all the hubbub was about), an abhorrent abomination and testament to bad writing, bad storytelling, agenda pushing in lieu of a morality play, corporate meddling to hit woke bullet points at the expense of quality, and one man's directorial hubris, utterly devoid of merit within the universe it's supposed to inhabit; and by all accounts, JJ's attempt to put Humpty Dumpty back together after the Number 2 that was the 2nd installment resulted in an completely uninspired disjointed mediocre mess that managed to please almost no one.

• 10 months later...

Rise of Skywalker. 

I legitimately don't remember what his movie was about. 

What happens again?  Was there a reason why it was titled Rise of Skywalker?  Was there a new Skylwalker or did an existing Skywalker come to power?

**spoiler warning**

The Skywalker family (Luke and Kylo) overcome their self-doubts, seduction by the Dark Side, etc. and 'rise up' to overcome the threat of the Palpatine lineage—the resurrected Emperor among others.  Rey is revealed to be Palpatine's granddaughter, and in rejecting her ancestry, basically adopts the Skywalker name because she fell in love with Kylo or something.

Background:  Dir. JJ Abrams rolled back most of the changes Dir. Rian Johnson made in The Last Jedi, and told a story full of nostalgia and fan service, without taking the series in any new directions.*  So, we ended up with a convoluted mess of a film that tried to shove 3 movies worth of story into one film.

Personally, I tend to ignore/forget those 3 sequels, and only really consider Solo and Rogue One worthy as being pseudo-sequels/prequels that embellish the movies when George Lucas helmed the franchise.

* in his defence, his hands were tied and the story was creatively limited to a certain extent by the untimely death of Carrie Fisher.

Edited by sketchley

41 minutes ago, peter said:

Rise of Skywalker. 

I legitimately don't remember what his movie was about. 

And you're probably better off for that.

Rise of Skywalker was a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

41 minutes ago, peter said:

What happens again?  Was there a reason why it was titled Rise of Skywalker?  Was there a new Skylwalker or did an existing Skywalker come to power?

The Emperor comes back from the dead for no adequately explored reason.  There's a great deal of nonsense about a chain of macguffins that will lead our heroes to his secret evil lair that takes up most of the actual movie.  Many pointless in-jokes are made.  Rey learns she's the Emperor's granddaughter, Ben/Kylo dies, Rey moves to Tattooine and commits identity theft by claiming to be part of the Skywalker family.  The whole nine episode film arc is now the Palpatine Saga not the Skywalker Saga.

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

And you're probably better off for that.

Rise of Skywalker was a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The Emperor comes back from the dead for no adequately explored reason.  There's a great deal of nonsense about a chain of macguffins that will lead our heroes to his secret evil lair that takes up most of the actual movie.  Many pointless in-jokes are made.  Rey learns she's the Emperor's granddaughter, Ben/Kylo dies, Rey moves to Tattooine and commits identity theft by claiming to be part of the Skywalker family.  The whole nine episode film arc is now the Palpatine Saga not the Skywalker Saga.

Always was the Palpatine saga, Palpatine was Annie's daddy too.

Lol, ok, now it's coming back to me. 

I must have watched ANH over 100 times, and who knows how many times for ESB and ROTJ, but I wasn't compelled to watch the Rise of Skywalker more than once.

Yeah, I sort of remember all of that now but it was pretty confusing. 

1 hour ago, pablumatic said:

If we are to believe Palpatine in that scene from Revenge of the Sith it could be that his former master, Plagueis, birthed Anakin by influencing the "Midichlorians."

OK, so help me out here... because this seems awfully contrived.  (As if the whole sequel trilogy wasn't... but hey.)

A highly conspicuous government official who is secretly evil and his not-so-secretly evil mentor who is hopefully much less conspicuous f*ck off on a business trip to the Runner Up for Planet Most Deserving of the Title of "Nowhere" to get some random lady they've just met pregnant with magical space AIDS?  Why her?  Why did they have to fly all the way to the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe for a dark side booty call?  You can't tell me it wouldn't have been easier to just tap his secretary for the job and pretend that it was the product of some good old fashioned political philandering.  Or was this some space magic ritual thing where the winds of fate got some rando they've never met pregnant and they just kinda trusted they'd find The Chosen One out of the trillions and trillions of people that must be living in the galaxy through sheer dumb luck (AKA "the force").

This seems less "sinister plan" and more "drunken dark lord's bar bet".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Palpatine killed Plagueis after learning the skill from him and used it to create Anakin. He literally "force-inseminated" Smee with his midiclorian infused sperm, then bode his time on Naboo. Anakin being born out in the middle of nowhere as a seemingly immaculate birth fit the Jedi "chosen one" prophecy, as well as ensured he wouldn't be found before forming strong attachments to his mother.

Is any of that so different or outlandish than paying for a ready to go clone army with order 66 pre-programmed bio-chips?

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

OK, so help me out here... because this seems awfully contrived.  (As if the whole sequel trilogy wasn't... but hey.)

A highly conspicuous government official who is secretly evil and his not-so-secretly evil mentor who is hopefully much less conspicuous f*ck off on a business trip to the Runner Up for Planet Most Deserving of the Title of "Nowhere" to get some random lady they've just met pregnant with magical space AIDS?  Why her?  Why did they have to fly all the way to the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe for a dark side booty call?  You can't tell me it wouldn't have been easier to just tap his secretary for the job and pretend that it was the product of some good old fashioned political philandering.  Or was this some space magic ritual thing where the winds of fate got some rando they've never met pregnant and they just kinda trusted they'd find The Chosen One out of the trillions and trillions of people that must be living in the galaxy through sheer dumb luck (AKA "the force").

This seems less "sinister plan" and more "drunken dark lord's bar bet".

At this rate, they may as well develop a new Star Wars character  for all the times someone no one knows shows up to influence the story...

...Rando Calrissian. :D

16 minutes ago, Big s said:

Hasn’t there ever been someone you really wanted to be with, but it seems like that person is a galaxy away from you. Palpatine said “I’ll be there this weekend I got keys to the star cruiser and I’m gettin some!”

He left right after 'cus he hates sand.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:07 AM, sketchley said:

Star Wars is best when one doesn't think too deeply about it...

... I'm beginning to see that, yes.

So much of the Star Wars plot seems to depend on coincidence and sheer dumb luck, or as the writers call it "the will of the force".  I loathe that as a literary device, because it robs the characters of any semblance of agency.  

(In that context, I can also kind of see why fans are so enamored of Grand Admiral Thrawn from the old novels.  He seems to be the only character in the entire franchise who actually had his sh*t together and whose plans made actual logical sense.)

On 8/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, pengbuzz said:

At this rate, they may as well develop a new Star Wars character  for all the times someone no one knows shows up to influence the story...

...Rando Calrissian. :D

At least half the cast of Rise of Skywalker falls into that category... and one of them is heavily implied to be an actual Calrissian.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... I'm beginning to see that, yes.

So much of the Star Wars plot seems to depend on coincidence and sheer dumb luck, or as the writers call it "the will of the force".  I loathe that as a literary device, because it robs the characters of any semblance of agency.  

(In that context, I can also kind of see why fans are so enamored of Grand Admiral Thrawn from the old novels.  He seems to be the only character in the entire franchise who actually had his sh*t together and whose plans made actual logical sense.)

Not to mention any accountability for their actions. Palpatine could just say his actions were "the will of the Force" if we went that route.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

At least half the cast of Rise of Skywalker falls into that category... and one of them is heavily implied to be an actual Calrissian.

Yup.