That did sound a lot like Ford.  Also interesting to see the early cuts on some shots, since there were a few things we didn't see in the actual release.  Probably removed for good reason, but I know I've read of a longer sideplot involving the temperature and safety of Echo Base, and I think it involved more wampas.

Speaking off which, I didn't actually remember seeing the creature's claws when Luke was hanging from the ceiling either.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

It was Ford. I have that trailer on my old Laserdisc box set. It was one of the very 1st ones for Empire. The originals for Star Wars (New Hope) were even worse...LOL. Trailers were reaally bad back then! 

I mean, I can't actually call that trailer that bad, because it did its job, teasing a lot of things, but not really revealing any of the longer implications of the story.

It was cheesy, sure, but it was still effective.  I think the funniest bit was hearing Ford sound that utterly enthusiastic about anything. :lol: 

That trailer was terrible! 

If everyone that posts on this thread, were adults at the time you'd have ripped this thing apart.

Anyone who says otherwise forgets that nostalgia is a very powerful drug. 

-b.

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That did sound a lot like Ford.  Also interesting to see the early cuts on some shots, since there were a few things we didn't see in the actual release.  Probably removed for good reason, but I know I've read of a longer sideplot involving the temperature and safety of Echo Base, and I think it involved more wampas.

The craziest shot that they removed was C3P0 removing a "danger! Wampa" warning sign from one of the doors during the Imperial invasion!

I think you can see that shot in one of the trailers for the initial release.

• 1 month later...

Watched RoS last night for the first time on Disney+ and holy F it about killed all my love for Star Wars. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater. The story was glorified fan fiction.

The biggest sin was the cheap way they brought back Palpatine, gave him a grandchild and turned him into a Weather Dominator.

Edited by TangledThorns

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Watched RoS last night for the first time on Disney+ and holy F it about killed all my love for Star Wars. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater. The story was glorified fan fiction.

The biggest sin was the cheap way they brought back Palpatine, gave him a grandchild and turned him into a Weather Dominator.

What's so mind-boggling to me is that some of that stuff could have worked fine.... if they had used the three movies to introduce and build upon it. There should have been hints of Palpatine in the first movie... then the exposure of Palpatine in the second movie, then the defeat of Palpatine in the third movie. Even plot elements I don't like would have worked better if they had built upon them from the beginning. Rey's parentage, like it or not, is all over the map. Again, if they wanted it to be Palps the whole time, hint at it, expose it, then confront it. Set it up so Kylo is a conflicted villain, Rey has to go dark side to kill Palps, then Kylo and Luke have to team up to defeat dark side Rey. Just spit balling but jeeze, if they had used a three movie long canvas instead of treating each movie like something that only needed to be tethered to a previous movie, they could have done so much better. 

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Hey!  Don’t insult the GI Joe Weather Dominator like that! :lol:

Watching those old Joe episodes, you realize now just how cheesy the show could be.

Having grown up with Ewoks and Droids, I couldn't possibly have imagined a world where cartoons like Clone Wars and Rebels would be so much better than Star Wars movies...:vava:

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Why would it kill your love for Star Wars?  The good movies still exist.

5 hours ago, jenius said:

What's so mind-boggling to me is that some of that stuff could have worked fine.... if they had used the three movies to introduce and build upon it. There should have been hints of Palpatine in the first movie... then the exposure of Palpatine in the second movie, then the defeat of Palpatine in the third movie. Even plot elements I don't like would have worked better if they had built upon them from the beginning. Rey's parentage, like it or not, is all over the map. Again, if they wanted it to be Palps the whole time, hint at it, expose it, then confront it. Set it up so Kylo is a conflicted villain, Rey has to go dark side to kill Palps, then Kylo and Luke have to team up to defeat dark side Rey. Just spit balling but jeeze, if they had used a three movie long canvas instead of treating each movie like something that only needed to be tethered to a previous movie, they could have done so much better. 

I love your spit-balling there, as that - unfortunately - shows more thought in a few minutes than they did during all the months of preproduction. 

Planning, planning and planning... As in not enough of it. I liked the movies, at least TFA and TRoS, but it is only like and not love. Seeing TRoS after TLJ is like looking at two different movie arcs, showing just how far one director went opposite the other. Though I like TRoS more, I think it would have been better if JJ had not resurrected the Emperor, which feels like a desperate grab at a fraying thread, and built upon TLJ while going back to the 'magic boxes' he left in TFA.  The only real way of bringing Palpy back would be to have TLJ actually having shown he was on the rise again, rather then blurbing it in the opening crawl of TRoS. They should have dropped Palpatine entirely rather then tying to cram two movies worth into the final of the trilogy.

Which means that they should have planned a full arc from the start. Instead, they almost treated it like it was an anthology.

A little too late to change anything now though. All is done.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

I love your spit-balling there, as that - unfortunately - shows more thought in a few minutes than they did during all the months of preproduction. 

Planning, planning and planning... As in not enough of it. I liked the movies, at least TFA and TRoS, but it is only like and not love. Seeing TRoS after TLJ is like looking at two different movie arcs, showing just how far one director went opposite the other. Though I like TRoS more, I think it would have been better if JJ had not resurrected the Emperor, which feels like a desperate grab at a fraying thread, and built upon TLJ while going back to the 'magic boxes' he left in TFA.  The only real way of bringing Palpy back would be to have TLJ actually having shown he was on the rise again, rather then blurbing it in the opening crawl of TRoS. They should have dropped Palpatine entirely rather then tying to cram two movies worth into the final of the trilogy.

Which means that they should have planned a full arc from the start. Instead, they almost treated it like it was an anthology.

A little too late to change anything now though. All is done.

It could have been a bad dream after Luke ate some porg that had gone bad... :p

Edited by pengbuzz

32 minutes ago, Graham said:

At least the awfulness of episodes 8 and 9 were balanced out by the amazingness of The Mandalorian and Clone Wars Season 7.

You were the Chosen Franchise!  You were supposed to increase the fanbase, not leave it divided in shambles!:pardon:

20 hours ago, tekering said:

Having grown up with Ewoks and Droids, I couldn't possibly have imagined a world where cartoons like Clone Wars and Rebels would be so much better than Star Wars movies...:vava:

So true..

On 5/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Mog said:

You were the Chosen Franchise!  You were supposed to increase the fanbase, not leave it divided in shambles!:pardon:

THAT sh*t. That's what is true.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, tekering said:

Add even more to your argument by including that first Boba Fett appearance in the Holiday Special - knowing the whole time that particular cartoon was bookended by the WORST live action Star Wars ever made.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Gonna watch it this weekend, the original theatrical version that came in the 2004 DVD boxset, my fave movie of all time, in one word ... perfect. 

Speaking of the original version...I so miss the line “Bring my shuttle” from Empire. Vader’s disappointment and anger just comes through so simply in that line. Instead it was completely lost with the long winded “Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival” in the SE’s.

Chris

@Dobber -- THANK YOU!!! No one else I've met complains about that change but I HATED it!!! He was SO pissed sounding in the original! Honestly, I've forgotten what other changes were made to Empire for the Blu-Ray box set, guess I'll find out this weekend! Other than that line, I don't remember having toooo much of a problem with Empire's mostly minor changes. Jedi on the hand.....ohhhh dear.

HAH.. only thing missing there is that Shooting Stars theme :lol: 

Agreed about the changes in Empire, it really came off the best of the bunch I think, in terms of the Special Editions.

Biggest change I think was the redone holographic Emperor.  I'm not a huge fan of it, since it didn't match the ROTJ emperor's look, but the dialogue differences weren't anything bad, as I recall.  

Other main ones I remember were the wampa scene (meh), Vader's line about his shuttle, and Luke's joke to R2-D2 about him being lucky he doesn't taste very good after getting spat out by the swamp creature.  Mostly just dumb, but nothing really offensive to see.  

On the flip-side of that, I think the changes made to the Cloud City sequences with all the added exterior shots, lighting, and windows really did add something to those scenes.