15 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

It is a somewhat bad edit but his saber should be nowhere near since he just did a strong swing in the opposite direction.

Yeah, rewatching it, we also don't get the flash that commonly comes from the two sabers hitting so it does appear the blade is stopped by the armor.

24 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Usually the feature length SW documentaries are very well done.

Absolutely.  "The Beginning" was better than The Phantom Menace, and "The Director and the Jedi" was much better than The Last Jedi.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Absolutely.  "The Beginning" was better than The Phantom Menace, and "The Director and the Jedi" was much better than The Last Jedi.

My personal favourite is "Within a Minute" from Episode III.  How they went IN ORDER from the writer to the producers to the office staff to the construction crew to the makeup to the actors to the costume to the stunties to the editors to the music to the...  And they NAMED EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO CONTRIBUTED.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, tekering said:

Yeah, I'm watching it now.  So far, the story is as stupid as I remember it being...

904348691_twotransports.thumb.jpeg.1e4dd0ffef604146d47024ed49054fc5.jpeg

...although Hux's sudden reveal that "there was another transport in the desert" (carrying Chewie) doesn't seem like such a cheat, now that I see it was visible in a quick establishing shot.

Okay, J.J.  I'll give you that one.

That doesn't explain why Rey couldn't sense Chewie being alive literally a few hundred yards away, but suddenly does later when they're flying toward the star destroyer he's held on.

The bait-and-switch non-deaths in this movie were obnoxious.  All they did was repeatedly up the stakes by making you think someone was dead, only to give you emotional whiplash a matter of minutes later by going "NOPE! Here they are!  Surprise!"

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That doesn't explain why Rey couldn't sense Chewie being alive literally a few hundred yards away, but suddenly does later when they're flying toward the star destroyer he's held on.

Not defending this film or any of the nonsense in it, but since Chewie was on the "second" ship supposedly in space and heading to the star destroyer...perhaps not "sensing" him on the ship she blew up and the general stress of the moment led to the conclusion that Chewie was dead...

With that said, the pic referenced in previous posts makes Finn look like a twit for not mentioning the second ship and the possibility that Chewie wasn't in the one that Rey destroyed...guess it just "slipped his mind"....:db:

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Another fun thing to point out.. I hope none of the natives around that Stormtrooper that Lando skewered were arrested and put on that transport she did blow up... :huh: 

LOL...yep...like all the kids that were likely tortured after Finn and Rose "liberated" the suffering race horses!

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...yep...like all the kids that were likely tortured after Finn and Rose "liberated" the suffering race horses!

Definitely not the brightest moment for our heroes... freeing the abused racing animals while leaving the children tending them in slavery.  Is PETA a branch of the Resistance these days?

On 3/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, jenius said:

Yeah, rewatching it, we also don't get the flash that commonly comes from the two sabers hitting so it does appear the blade is stopped by the armor.

Well, yes, but.... uh... hmm... :blink:

Earlier in the movie Vader was able to block a blaster bolt with his hand, so I'm choosing to believe that he was able to barely absorb some of the energy from Luke's glancing blow.  Yeah, that's it! ^_^

I always loved that part of the Luke/Vader fight. His armor definitely took the blow. What I took from it was Vader was more or less “toying” with Luke until that point.  Barely giving any effort at the beginning but as the fight progresses he starts having to give more effort. His underestimation lets Luke get the upper hand twice. First in the Carbonite chamber when Luke backs him off the platform. The fight started with no effort and only using one hand giving Luke no respect...but Luke escapes the trap to Vader’s surprise. Luke takes it up a notch, as does Vader, and Luke surprises him with the corbonite gas blast and makes him fall. Next, Vader starts trying a little more with his Force attacks but Luke survives the, what I believe, was an unintentional decompression and fall. The third and final part of the fight, when Vader does his “Sneak attack” on Luke he is clearly trying much harder with more ferocious attacks and using both hands. He’s still not giving it his all, as he still wants to convert Luke, but is definitely  trying much harder.  Then Luke finally scores his hit. After that Vader is PISSED (growling and snarling) play time is over and he very quickly ends the fight. So awesome, as there is so many levels to and so much more going on in the fight.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I always loved that part of the Luke/Vader fight. His armor definitely took the blow. What I took from it was Vader was more or less “toying” with Luke until that point.  Barely giving any effort at the beginning but as the fight progresses he starts having to give more effort. His underestimation lets Luke get the upper hand twice. First in the Carbonite chamber when Luke backs him off the platform. The fight started with no effort and only using one hand giving Luke no respect...but Luke escapes the trap to Vader’s surprise. Luke takes it up a notch, as does Vader, and makes him fall. Next, Vader starts trying a little more with his Force attacks but Luke survives the decompression. The third and final part of the fight, when Vader does his “Sneak attack” on Luke he is clearly trying harder with more ferocious attacks and using both hands. He’s still not giving it his all but Clearly trying much harder and Luke finally scores his hit. After that Vader is PISSED (growling and snarling) and very quickly ends the fight. So awesome, as there is so many levels to and so much more going on in the fight.

Chris

This. 

Thanks guys, I updated my analysis with, hopefully, better sentence structure. LoL!

if it was a 3 round fight. 1st round goes to Luke. 2nd and third both go to Vader. But honestly Luke only one his first round because Vader underestimated him, but that’s the risk you take when you mess with an opponent.

Chris

What’s nice is that if you look at his fights in Rebels (maybe even Rogue One), Vader does show that tendency to start off playing with his prey.

He’s not exactly an efficient, “one shot-one kill” kinda lightsaber fighter.

3 hours ago, Mog said:

What’s nice is that if you look at his fights in Rebels (maybe even Rogue One), Vader does show that tendency to start off playing with his prey.

He’s not exactly an efficient, “one shot-one kill” kinda lightsaber fighter.

Not really playing, per se.  More like supremely overconfident and a preference for a flashy move instead of a quick one.  How very much like Anakin Skywalker, when you think of it.

So, we finished rewatching all of the Star Wars movies today... finishing with The Rise of Skywalker this morning.

Quite honestly, this hardly feels like a movie at all.  The viewing experience is perfectly described by a line from Rick and Morty: "more like a clip show made of clips you never saw".

It was, to be frank, one of the most bewildering viewing experiences I've had in a long time.  The story changes direction so many times that it feels like someone was trying to cram an entire trilogy's worth of plot twists into a single film.  Characters skip all that "exposition" business and jump right from plot thread to plot thread at lightning speed without explaining anything to the audience.  So many plot twists are driven by simple convenience that it feels like it all comes together too easily.  Rey goes off to finish a quest that consumed years of Luke's life and finishes it literally in the space of a single afternoon with like half a day left over.  Everything anyone needs is in literally the first place they look, and every obstacle ends up coincidentally putting them right next to the thing they need next.  The dominoes line up so neatly that it doesn't feel like there's any work involved for the characters.  It's like they had cheats enabled or something.

Still a fan of viewing Star Wars using Machete Order (IV, V, II, III, and VI).  https://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

All the other stuff can be viewed as side stories/supplemental material . . . of varying quality. ;)

That's how I introduced it to my kiddos, and I'm kinda glad I went that route.

Too many advantages and too few drawbacks about going with this order.

EDIT:  A bunch of folks have used scenes from that Galaxy of Adventures to come up with anime style OP's for Star Wars.

Edited by Mog

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Characters skip all that "exposition" business and jump right from plot thread to plot thread at lightning speed without explaining anything to the audience.  

For a "few dollars more" you can buy all the books, comics, etc to fill all the plot holes....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The dominoes line up so neatly that it doesn't feel like there's any work involved for the characters.  It's like they had cheats enabled or something.

What you interpreted as dominoes and cheats were simply the "will of the Force"....:db:

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

For a "few dollars more" you can buy all the books, comics, etc to fill all the plot holes....:rolleyes:

Nah, I'm not attached enough to any of these characters to do that... I doubt I could name more than two or three of them, and I literally just finished rewatching these movies less than twelve hours ago.

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

What you interpreted as dominoes and cheats were simply the "will of the Force"....:db:

Must be because the Force was awake this time... as much as the Force seems to be hurrying destiny along, it must have the caffeine sh*ts from one too many cups of coffee after its awakening two episodes ago.

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, I'm not attached enough to any of these characters to do that... I doubt I could name more than two or three of them, and I literally just finished rewatching these movies less than twelve hours ago.

I don't blame you...but if cat-like curiosity gets the best of you (kills you?)...most of the nonsense is easily available free of charge on the webs....

The worst aspects of the tire-busting plot-holes attempt to retcon several details of what made the OT stories great...such as insinuating Vader actually rejoined the lightside well before he tossed Palpatine (or what is now known to have been a clone of Darth Sidious...yes, another plot hole revealed in the novelization of the movie and now canon) down the shaft in ROTJ.

Edited by jvmacross

21 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Ok, except Disney's unstoppable barrage of "No, what I really meant was..." only gets stupider every time they dig their fingers into it.

The plot hole filler is of even lower quality than the original product, and actually brings down the quality of the stand-alone film by making even less sense.

Did you know that they wrote in a "lore-based" reason for why everyone saw Starkiller Base destroy the Republic Capital at once?  Yeah, no, it wasn't because JJ has no sense of scale, it was because the First Order developed the weapon to break space-time so they could use it for galaxy-wide propaganda.  I wish I was joking.

Speaking of plot holes... here's a hum-dinger one for you.  If Anakin was a force-ghost at the end of ROTJ, couldn't he have just flat out told Luke about all this crap happening?  You know.. like the location of his wayfinder.. how to find Exegol.. how to kill Palpatine for real??  THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL..

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok, except Disney's unstoppable barrage of "No, what I really meant was..." only gets stupider every time they dig their fingers into it.

The plot hole filler is of even lower quality than the original product, and actually brings down the quality of the stand-alone film by making even less sense.

Did you know that they wrote in a "lore-based" reason for why everyone saw Starkiller Base destroy the Republic Capital at once?  Yeah, no, it wasn't because JJ has no sense of scale, it was because the First Order developed the weapon to break space-time so they could use it for galaxy-wide propaganda.  I wish I was joking.

Speaking of plot holes... here's a hum-dinger one for you.  If Anakin was a force-ghost at the end of ROTJ, couldn't he have just flat out told Luke about all this crap happening?  You know.. like the location of his wayfinder.. how to find Exegol.. how to kill Palpatine for real??  THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL..

Please stop. Your making My disdain for the sequel trilogy even worse!

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Could that reason be used for Kirk seeing Vulcan being destroyed in 09 Star Trek..?

As to the being a Force-ghost, I don't think being so makes one omniscient. Everyone thought Palpy was dead.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

So, we finished rewatching all of the Star Wars movies today... finishing with The Rise of Skywalker this morning.

Quite honestly, this hardly feels like a movie at all.  The viewing experience is perfectly described by a line from Rick and Morty: "more like a clip show made of clips you never saw".

It was, to be frank, one of the most bewildering viewing experiences I've had in a long time.  The story changes direction so many times that it feels like someone was trying to cram an entire trilogy's worth of plot twists into a single film.  Characters skip all that "exposition" business and jump right from plot thread to plot thread at lightning speed without explaining anything to the audience.  So many plot twists are driven by simple convenience that it feels like it all comes together too easily.  Rey goes off to finish a quest that consumed years of Luke's life and finishes it literally in the space of a single afternoon with like half a day left over.  Everything anyone needs is in literally the first place they look, and every obstacle ends up coincidentally putting them right next to the thing they need next.  The dominoes line up so neatly that it doesn't feel like there's any work involved for the characters.  It's like they had cheats enabled or something.

That's what happens when they don't have a main story arc for the next storyteller to adhere to, and having them then trying to recover from the middle movie feeling like it was from a different series entirely. Everything that should have been in Ep 8 was then crammed into 9.

I wonder if someone could make a cut of the movie getting rid of most of the chase scene and the game planet and just concentrate on Rey, Kylo and Luke...

They probably will wait a few weeks after the BD gets released....they are sending Onward to D+ 2 weeks after they made it available for purchase on digital...so no waiting for the physical media on that one...

I'm hoping things will go back to how they were once the coronavirus scare goes away (but who knows when that will happen), otherwise, the movie theater business may be among the first post-coronavirus industry casualties...Although I do not go to the big screen as much as I used to, I would hate to see that option disappear or get even more expensive....

On 3/22/2020 at 11:11 PM, jvmacross said:

I don't blame you...but if cat-like curiosity gets the best of you (kills you?)...most of the nonsense is easily available free of charge on the webs....

Yep, Wiki Magic is a beautiful thing... especially when it saves people from having to buy obnoxious garbage to figure out WTF is going on.

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Well, it's nice to know Disney is staying true to the spirit of the Star Wars Expanded Universe.  

The completeness of my lack of surprise is surprising in its own right.  This IS Star Wars we're talking about.  The franchise that was already memetically famous for being so obsessed with minutiae that virtually every background character who appears in at least one second of film in the original trilogy has, at bare minimum, an entire short story devoted to telling you exactly how and why they came to be in that location at that exact time.  Is it really such a shock that the franchise that felt compelled to devote multiple short stories to "I don't like you either" guy and his literally butt-faced friend and the green anteater Han Solo wasted in the pub would fill page count by explaining at great and tedious length that a group of card carrying Always Lawful Evil Space Nazis built a terror weapon designed to be as showy as possible even if it meant breaking the laws of physics to do it?

It's not without reason that, when the anthology movies were first announced, people were making fun of the idea saying it was only a matter of time until this creatively bankrupt franchise tried to sell a movie about the walking garbage bin that goes "gonk" that the Jawas had in A New Hope.  

All that's really changed since Disney threw out the old EU and started making their own is that they're pandering to other groups in addition to die-hard Star Wars fans.  I'm sure there are likely at least a few comics and short stories about the SJW droid Lando wanted to f*ck in Solo: a Star Wars Story.  (And was it really necessary to tell us Lando was trying to get his leg over a glorified walking toaster?)

Did he even know any of that, though?  Does being dead in Star Wars make you clairvoyant?  Not being sarcastic, inquiring minds want to know.

10 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I'm hoping things will go back to how they were once the coronavirus scare goes away (but who knows when that will happen), otherwise, the movie theater business may be among the first post-coronavirus industry casualties...Although I do not go to the big screen as much as I used to, I would hate to see that option disappear or get even more expensive....

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll take advantage of reduced foot traffic to make theaters more comfortable.  I don't know about you, but at 2m tall it's a pain to pretzel myself into the average movie theater seat.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

As to the being a Force-ghost, I don't think being so makes one omniscient. Everyone thought Palpy was dead.

I'm talking about the fact that the wayfinder Kylo found belonged to Vader.  He retrieved it from "Mustafar", ostensibly from Vader's digs there.  When Luke went looking for it, you'd think good old ghost dad could have been "Oh, yeah, that thing!  It's just in a box."

Again, this is a background detail left out of the movie, or added after the fact.  In trying to explain the origins of Kylo's wayfinder, they make the story as a whole make less sense, because they don't take ten seconds to actually think through the implications of what they write.

Edited by Chronocidal