8 hours ago, jenius said:

Kylo introduces the term in TRoS.

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

Oy vey.. there's still not a satisfactory reason why..

Shows how much attention I paid that movie, then...

I don't get it. How is it any different from what other characters have done, and why does it need to be A Thing in the first place? It's just spooky Force shenanigans. It doesn't need, like... a special prophecy or whatever. Maybe it's pumped up a bit (okay, a lot), but still...

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

jedi are taught to learn who they are and accept themselves. The same is true with their saber color.

To want a different color might have more to do with vanity .

If color itself was exclusive to the Jedi, then I could buy this reasoning more; sensing the Force is like seeing color in a grayscale world, Pleasantville-style. But there's nothing to suggest that's the case. For all intents and purposes, color "behaves" exactly as it does in the real world, and in the real world, people change colors on a whim all the time. Hell, STAR WARS LIGHTSABER COLORS changed for no other reason than because people wanted different colors. There's significance to be found in lightsaber colors, sure, but... I dunno, the way Star Wars does it just feels so flimsy. It doesn't have to be this highly ritualistic, symbolic thing. It could just be that Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple because dude thought it was a rad ass color.

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

You're pretty much quoting Han Solo from ANH.:p

grumble grumble grumble

The Force as I knew it was always a pretty near facsimile of ideas of chi and dao, and while yeah it came to operate in a similar fashion to that of new age mysticism garbage, it was always more... intangible and unfathomable than that. A lightsaber is a physical item. The Force is ineffable. What was it Yoda said? "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Maybe I'm getting too philosophical, but material things being needed for enlightenment... it doesn't sit well with me.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I won't say it's not a "fun" idea, but it also leans far more on the fantasy side of things, and makes lightsabers a lot more mystical than just a projected plasma cutting beam.

Exactly this. The OT lightsaber is "the weapon of the Jedi," sure, but it's also... not. "The Force is my ally," says Yoda. The PT, or at least that bit in AotC where Obi-wan tells Anakin, "This weapon is your life!", the lightsaber is a katana, it's a sloppy samurai bushido metaphor. Somewhere along the way, the lightsaber, the Force, and the Jedi all became the same thing. One could not exist without the other two. It's... inelegant.

I was always under the impression that lightsabers were simply esoteric tools, with too many obvious design flaws to be safe, and which were replaced by other, equally as or more effective alternatives (like blasters). The only reason Jedi were able to effectively use them from a practical standpoint, and why they became so tied to the collective image of a Jedi, is that Jedi have the requisite precognitive abilities to not horribly maim themselves with them. A "normie" could use them with similar proficiency if they simply practiced and dedicated themselves enough to it.

I think the dyad is a thing for the same reason Luke dies. If Jedi could do these things without something special then basically no plot would ever make sense. Kylo and Rey need to be more than normal force users because if any pair of Jedi can do these things then so many past events should have never happened. If any Jedi could project themselves and interact with folks then they would never have flown to Naboo in the first place. So, to keep every previous plot a plausible, Luke dies and Kylo and Rey have a special force bond that only comes around every few thousand years.

Edited by jenius

4 hours ago, jenius said:

I think the dyad is a thing for the same reason Luke dies. If Jedi could do these things without something special then basically no plot would ever make sense. Kylo and Rey need to be more than normal force users because if any pair of Jedi can do these things then so many past events should have never happened. If any Jedi could project themselves and interact with folks then they would never have flown to Naboo in the first place. So, to keep every previous plot a plausible, Luke dies and Kylo and Rey have a special force bond that only comes around every few thousand years.

Sounds good to me. As an example, there was no explanation needed as to how/why a Force-user is able to Force-pull an object. It was just done, and we got Vader slamming Luke with power equipment ripped off the walls. Cool scene.

Edited by Thom

About that creepy Lando ending.  They say it wasn't creepy at all if you've read some books.  This is a bit of spoiler but Lando started a family and the First Order was looking for recruits.   None of this information was shared in the movie itself.  That's what I consider to be a big problem with these movies you need to read up on everything outside of the movies to understand them.

14 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

About that creepy Lando ending.  They say it wasn't creepy at all if you've read some books.  This is a bit of spoiler but Lando started a family and the First Order was looking for recruits.   None of this information was shared in the movie itself.  That's what I consider to be a big problem with these movies you need to read up on everything outside of the movies to understand them.

I think the spoilers that were going around mentioned the scene where Lando says he decided to stay on that desert planet after the First Order stole his daughter....I wonder if they took the scene or lines out of the movie to save on time...would have made the scene at the end where he reunites with her much better.....maybe it's on the JJ-cut...LOL

Finally saw it.  It was decent and I don't feel like I wasted money seeing it at the theater (at least I didn't walk out before the ending like I did with the last Godzilla movie)

Knights of Ren background - they were a bunch of bully boys that didn't need any more background then they got.  

The fleet and how it is handled, stupid but, well, ok it was stupid but for some reason it didn't bother me too much.

The real problem is that I don't give a rip about any of these characters except the OT holdovers.  If I never see Rey, Ren, Poe, Fin, or any of the rest again I don't care.  

EDIT - darn cool picture!

Edited by Dynaman

56 minutes ago, Bolt said:

No. More details please..

At the end of Ben's internal conversation with his memory of Han, Ben say's "Dad..."  Han replies "I know.."

That's actually one of my favorite moments in the movie, despite a ton of reservations I have about the movie as a whole, I think they really hit the right note in that scene.  Anyway I guess I was caught up in the emotion and missed it the first 2 times.  Made me LOL this time, I think I annoyed some of the other movie goers with the timing. 

Saw it again last night. Big screen experience is always fun. I picked up on a lot more dialogue that slipped by me the first time. Like the dyad thing mentioned by Kylo and later Palpatine. And Poe's mention of " our parents " in the rebellion. Hence the comics that now portray his parents.  Speaking of which, there really are many holes. There's gonna be novels and comics all over this for years to come.

3 minutes ago, Thom said:

Going to go see it again tomorrow. I loved that whole scene with them fighting on the wreckage, and then Ben talking with his father. Actually seeing Ford as Han again was a surprise to me, esp as I stay away from leaks and BTS news.

It really aggravated me when Finn screamed out reys name while she was trying to fight. A wtf moment. Why potentially distract her. 

14 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

It really aggravated me when Finn screamed out reys name while she was trying to fight. A wtf moment. Why potentially distract her. 

Hey now, he'd been doing it for two and a half movies already... it was WAY too late in the game to change his character. :p 

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hey now, he'd been doing it for two and a half movies already... it was WAY too late in the game to change his character. :p 

Yeah, she's probably heard it so many times that she ignores it/him now.  :lol:

(I guess a less snarky opinion would be: at some level she registers it as 'my friends are here to help' and gets encouragement from that.)

Edited by sketchley

9 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Yeah, she's probably heard it so many times that she ignores it/him now.  :lol:

(I guess a less snarky opinion would be: at some level she registers it as 'my friends are here to help' and gets encouragement from that.)

It's pretty much his only character trait.  If he wasn't doing it, she wouldn't recognize him.

26 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

That's harsh, Finn does have another character trait, he is also a Poe fanboy.... Remember how he was fawning over Poe during that fighter scene about "that's one hell of a pilot?"

If they'd only gone ahead and explored that relationship on screen. :sorry:

Maybe they'll give him his own movie or series on Disney+.

Finn: a Friendzone Story.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Maybe they'll give him his own movie or series on Disney+.

Finn: a Friendzone Story.

He already said no to that, but to be honest a show about a former stormtrooper breaking his conditioning and finding his way in the galaxy would be a cool idea... As long as he doesn't act like an emotionally stunted ten year old that goes "WOW!" at everything and everyone.

Actually I'm begining to wonder if that last part was intentional for his character. He was pretty much kidnapped as a child and programmed to be a soldier so he has all these military skills, but no maturity once the programing is broken. So all his dopy actions kind of make sense.

Now that they introduced a whole bunch of other ex-stormtroopers they don't need Finn for that TV plotline.  I'm guessing Lando and the female ex-trooper that might be his kid are in line for that TV series.  They practically put it up in neon lights.

Edited by Dynaman

On 1/11/2020 at 3:04 PM, levzloi said:

At the end of Ben's internal conversation with his memory of Han, Ben say's "Dad..."  Han replies "I know.."

That's actually one of my favorite moments in the movie, despite a ton of reservations I have about the movie as a whole, I think they really hit the right note in that scene.  Anyway I guess I was caught up in the emotion and missed it the first 2 times.  Made me LOL this time, I think I annoyed some of the other movie goers with the timing. 

Was that the first time "dad" was ever used in SW?  Usually it's "Father".....seems so...casual, lol!

3 hours ago, peter said:

Was that the first time "dad" was ever used in SW?  Usually it's "Father".....seems so...casual, lol!

Well - Lucas is no longer writing the dialog.  There is also only one other actual father/son relationship in the movies but there is Padawan and Master, Clone and Clone Material Source (Clone does call Clone Material Source Dad as well), and Palpatine and whatever the heck Annakin was supposed to be.

37 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Well - Lucas is no longer writing the dialog.  There is also only one other actual father/son relationship in the movies but there is Padawan and Master, Clone and Clone Material Source (Clone does call Clone Material Source Dad as well), and Palpatine and whatever the heck Annakin was supposed to be.

Oh, Boba did call Jango Dad right?

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Yup, still good the second time around. I paid more attention to that part where Ben says 'Dad...' and the emotions written on their faces were very touching.

That's how I felt about my subsequent viewings, I still maintain that this one movie could have easily been an entirely trilogy but that's been discussed already.

Personally I'd love to see more of Rey, Poe and Finn - IF - they mature his character. But if I had to choose one of the Sequel Trilogy main characters again on-screen it'd definitely be Rey. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-b.

12 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

That's how I felt about my subsequent viewings, I still maintain that this one movie could have easily been an entirely trilogy but that's been discussed already.

Personally I'd love to see more of Rey, Poe and Finn - IF - they mature his character. But if I had to choose one of the Sequel Trilogy main characters again on-screen it'd definitely be Rey. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-b.

The missing plot from Ep 8 was squeezed into this one.:D Definite two movie's worth of material.

I'd like to see all three of them again, but if I had to choose then Rey would be the line I'd like to see in another Saga.

Edited by Thom

On 1/13/2020 at 2:46 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

He already said no to that, but to be honest a show about a former stormtrooper breaking his conditioning and finding his way in the galaxy would be a cool idea... As long as he doesn't act like an emotionally stunted ten year old that goes "WOW!" at everything and everyone.

That's a little surprising... we'll see how long he's able to stay away from the Star Wars franchise's guaranteed payday.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:54 PM, peter said: