Lower Expectations has been met, and TROS has made it... at least in the eyes of most fan.  Another redemption story, another billion bucks for Sideshow Bob.

All in all, not a bad day's work.  Now, to go on hiatus a bit, and see if the TV series does any good, then may be we can push out another movie in a few years like Rogue One.

35 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Lower Expectations has been met, and TROS has made it... at least in the eyes of most fan.  Another redemption story, another billion bucks for Sideshow Bob.

All in all, not a bad day's work.  Now, to go on hiatus a bit, and see if the TV series does any good, then may be we can push out another movie in a few years like Rogue One.

At the end of the day, very few of us doubted this movie would make money. But that’s all this movie it is now. A cash grab. 

Maybe the next movie will be a KOTOR story that has room for them to do what they want. Heck, at this point even an all new "trilogy "  might work , as long as they don't retcon/mess with the Skywalker saga. They already miffed that one, anyway. At some point, we're gonna want to see more, new live action lightsaber action.

Edited by Bolt

6 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Not seeing a ton of hate for this movie. I’ve been there opening night on thursdays the last 2 movies but decided to wait for this one. Hopefully go this weekend. 

Just got back from seeing it. I gotta say, even though I knew everything that was going to happen, I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. Yes it has it’s issues...some its own and some inherited from TLJ. Some concepts are....well.... just silly (Death Star wreckage) but I understand the need for some interesting settings and imagery, so over all still very fun. In fact that whole sequence and it’s resolution was my favorite part of the movie, even got choked up a few times. The main cast is great and it’s a real shame the middle chapter in this trilogy completely wasted them.

now I get the whole force healing thing being a difficult thing for some but here’s how I see it. All Jedi can do it to some extent depending on aptitude and studies, but the ability to heal a mortal wound or even bring back from death the way Rey and Kylo do requires the extremely rare Force Dyad thing they have. Palps even says it is extremely rare and not seen in generations. Further more, I believe that they can only bring each other back and not just anyone due to their connection. Example would be Rey can heal general wounds and injuries for others, Jedi or not,  but would only be able to heal a mortal wound/bring back from death Ben and visa vesa. That’s my head canon anyway and I’m fine with it.^_^ 
My biggest problem with the movie was the needless “shocks” that were just there for the brief impact they have only to quickly resolve it. For Example the “death” of Chewie. Totally pointless which leads to my least favorite sequence in the movie...the raid on the Star Destroyer. It was completely ridiculous as it continues the absolute incompetence of the bad guys and it doesn’t further the plot at all except retrieving Chewie and the Dagger. If they weren’t captured in the first place the whole sequence wouldn’t have been necessary and only became so because they wanted to “shock” us with potentially killing Chewie. Just comes off as cheap.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

4 hours ago, azrael said:

At the end of the day, very few of us doubted this movie would make money. But that’s all this movie it is now. A cash grab. 

I think though that Disney has found their particular golden egg at that point.  But into recognized franchises, stick B listers into them with locked deals.  Then dump them at the end of the contract and repeat.  If there are particular fan favorites, find ways to bring them back.  It is a good idea.

Star Wars will continue to draw, the only thing I object to is the pointless pandering and the need to try to stand out and be different.  They shoved KMT into the movie for what I thought was a completely contrived reason, the fans who reacted I think were mostly disappointed with the role she had, which was pointless.  It felt like people were trying hard checking a box or something.  Conversely, I don’t think I heard many people complain about Donnie or Jiang in Rogue One, which didn’t seem at all unreasonable in the context of the story.

I also think a live action trilogy of the original KPTOR would really rock.

Edited by kalvasflam

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

as long as they don't retcon/mess with the Skywalker saga.

They should retcon Episode 7-9 but Kathleen Kennedy would hate that.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

They shoved KMT into the movie for what I thought was a completely contrived reason, the fans who reacted I think were mostly disappointed with the role she had, which was pointless.  It felt like people were trying hard checking a box or something.  Conversely, I don’t think I heard many people complain about Donnie or Jiang in Rogue One, which didn’t

Having Ms. Tran in there wasn't the issue. It's the character she portrayed and how that character was used in the movie (which was simply put, shoved into our faces). Her character ultimately just didn't make any sense. Donnie Yen's and/or Jiang Wen's characters made sense in the story they were used in and were more in the background than the Rose Tico-character. 

They should retcon calling these past 9 movies the "Skywalker saga" because frakk that stupid ass stupid Z-tier focus group PR butt-speak. Is it incredibly petty of me that that's what pisses me off the most about Star Wars? Maybe, but look what we're working with here.

frakking... "Skywalker saga." Pfffft. frakk off. "Skywalker saga."

11 hours ago, azrael said:

They should retcon Episode 7-9 but Kathleen Kennedy would hate that.

All they'd have to do was retcon E8. Get rid of the stupid chase scene and the forced mutiny and the Canto Bight stuff, and replace it with finding out that Snoke was really just a big puppet, that Palpatine was actually alive and gearing up to move against the destabilized galaxy, that Luke didn't turn into an old curmudgeon drinking blue land-whale milk and was actually making moves to counter Palpatine, after discovering that he was still kicking...

I liked 7 and 9, but 8 just feels like a giant hole that all the anchor points for the plot fell into.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

All they'd have to do was retcon E8. Get rid of the stupid chase scene and the forced mutiny and the Canto Bight stuff, and replace it with finding out that Snoke was really just a big puppet, that Palpatine was actually alive and gearing up to move against the destabilized galaxy, that Luke didn't turn into an old curmudgeon drinking blue land-whale milk and was actually making moves to counter Palpatine, after discovering that he was still kicking...

I liked 7 and 9, but 8 just feels like a giant hole that all the anchor points for the plot fell into.

Yup. Funny how now that the whole trilogy is done you can start to make sense of the overall story...almost like how it could’ve worked if they would’ve just mapped out the story from the start! Shock! Like we talked about in the thread over at SSM, some tweaks tomake it actually fit into the overall story and remove a bunch of the stupid crap and then tweak Luke’s story. Bam! The trilogy actually works pretty well IMO. As it is though....as you say...8 acts as an sink-hole in the middle that pulls everything else down. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, badboy00z said:

Are people suppose to just forget that Anakin's lightsaber was destroyed in TLJ?

That's classic Abrams (and the Mouse hand waving) for ya. It's a "story for another time".:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Dobber said:

Totally pointless which leads to my least favorite sequence in the movie...the raid on the Star Destroyer. It was completely ridiculous as it continues the absolute incompetence of the bad guys and it doesn’t further the plot at all except retrieving Chewie and the Dagger. If they weren’t captured in the first place the whole sequence wouldn’t have been necessary and only became so because they wanted to “shock” us with potentially killing Chewie. Just comes off as cheap.

My feelings exactly. And btw, did anybody else find the death screams of the female stormtroopers kinda off-putting? I mean, de-humanizing the evil goons so that our heroes can zap them without remorse is a cornerstone of the franchise, and it was an interesting impulse to dial that back with the introduction of Finn (and Jannah in this movie), so it felt even more wrong to watch the shootfest in the raid.

2 hours ago, badboy00z said:

Are people suppose to just forget that Anakin's lightsaber was destroyed in TLJ?

Well, Rey did have both halves by the end of TLJ, so it is easy to surmise that she repaired it.

27 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

My feelings exactly. And btw, did anybody else find the death screams of the female stormtroopers kinda off-putting? I mean, de-humanizing the evil goons so that our heroes can zap them without remorse is a cornerstone of the franchise, and it was an interesting impulse to dial that back with the introduction of Finn (and Jannah in this movie), so it felt even more wrong to watch the shootfest in the raid.

Not so much. They were of note simply because we don't hear that so often in the Star Wars series. The first time I heard a woman speaking from a Storm Trooper outfit was in TFA when Rey broke loose on Star Killer Base. First time I heard one dying though.

As to shooting the 'bad guys,' if they are not going to do that, then they might as well give up before they start. I get it though how these were kids who had no choice when the FO abducted them and trained them, but we have to consider that most, apparently, are fully indoctrinated and that Finn and Janna and Co. were aberrations. When given the order to fire on unarmed captives, most fired without hesitation. Sometimes, you have to destroy the System first before you can free everyone.

10 minutes ago, Thom said:

Well, Rey did have both halves by the end of TLJ, so it is easy to surmise that she repaired it.

yeah...I thought that was understood....the fact that it was revealed in TROS that Leia had her own saber probably means that Leia assisted Rey in repairing Luke/Anakin's busted saber after the events of TLJ...although she may have "just known" how to repair it herself?...

380a1a258a64e8e4e1da04632bc7eb4c.jpg

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

yeah...I thought that was understood....the fact that it was revealed in TROS that Leia had her own saber probably means that Leia assisted Rey in repairing Luke/Anakin's busted saber after the events of TLJ...although she may have "just known" how to repair it herself?...

380a1a258a64e8e4e1da04632bc7eb4c.jpg

Ya it was expected of us to figure that out. And, of course,  as this is "The Rise Of Skywalker," we apparently needed Anakin's lightsaber to be waved around like a trophy the whole movie. What ever. Both Anakin and Luke had different sabers in each movie. Obi Wan went through a couple too. Rey couldn't get it together to build one until the end so we get a 3 second glimpse of something she should have done in TLJ..

15 minutes ago, Bolt said:

...so we get a 3 second glimpse of something she should have done in TLJ....

But didn't the events in TLJ occur just days after TFA? 

With that said, she should have crafted her own during the time between TLJ and TROS.....no need to have "seen" her do it on-screen as we did not see Luke doing that in ROTJ (at least not in the official release)....

Edited by jvmacross

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

But didn't the events in TLJ occur just days after TFA? 

Indeed. But her "training" with Luke could have culminated in building a saber aboard the Falcon afterwards. It certainly could have been included in TLJ.  Or , as you mentioned, between TLJ and TROS

2 hours ago, Thom said:

As to shooting the 'bad guys,' if they are not going to do that, then they might as well give up before they start.

It wasn't the shooting, but the cheerful way it was presented that put me off (and in a sequence that was, as Dobber had elaborated, silly to begin with).

What I was referring to about the “Raid” is how they where running down the corridor and the Stormtroopers are just falling down, from cover, left and right. I know it’s the whole plot armor thing, but it is really getting old how the Good guys can barely ever miss while on the run and in the open and the bad guys can’t hit squat. I know it’s the running joke in Star Wars but it’s just too much now. The way they were going they could’ve just cleared the whole ship for crying out loud.

My point is, we already know the heroes will win in these movies, but why go the extra mile to take all the threat of the enemy away. If they can just fly up to a command ship and land with minimal investigation, get into overt fire fights on the ship, free a high value captive, and then escape...I mean come on. :rolleyes: I’d just like the enemy to seem a little more threatening and competent. Even when they still loose. Take Finn and the other defectors. All former Stormtroopers and are very effective thanks to their training, yet every time we see a Stormtrooper...they suck. One of these things is not like the other.

Chris

edit: Before anyone else says it was done in ANH, I am aware but it was still different. First they where brought on board the Death Star and hid from large groups of personnel. The moves through the station disguised and only got into a fight in the cell block. Even then they still delayed the response. Their escape while yes unlikely, still seemed more plausible instead of just blasting their way through. Plus, it could be argued that Tarkin let them go.

Edited by Dobber

Was there ever a time we thought the heroes were ever in any real danger? Even Chewie was an obvious bait & switch. Perhaps SW should be more GOT's ;) Except it might be harder to market and sell those hero toys, if they dropped off like flies..

With how adept Rey is with her staff, I'm surprised (well, "surprised") that they didn't just have her use that through the last movie. Would've been way more interesting than yet another lightsaber battle. A lightsaber polearm, perhaps? Would've been and would still be real cool to see a spear or guandao wielder. Of course, that would have necessitated a specialized coach/trainer to help Daisy Ridley. But still...

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:

It's about time some women got shot:p

Leia got winged in ROTJ but that doesn't count:D

Yeah, why is there an issue with woman getting shot? The bad guys can be women and any ethnic group too. Isn’t that what equality is all about? This isn’t meant to be smarmy either.

Chris

11 minutes ago, Dobber said:

What I was referring to about the “Raid” is how they where running down the corridor and the Stormtroopers are just falling down, from cover, left and right. I know it’s the whole plot armor thing, but it is really getting old how the Good guys can barely ever miss while on the run and in the open and the bad guys can’t hit squat. I know it’s the running joke in Star Wars but it’s just too much now. The way they were going they could’ve just cleared the whole ship for crying out loud.

My point is, we already know the heroes will win in these movies, but why go the extra mile to take all the threat of the enemy away. If they can just fly up to a command ship and land with minimal investigation, get into overt fire fights on the ship, free a high value captive, and then escape...I mean come on. :rolleyes: I’d just like the enemy to seem a little more threatening and competent. Even when they still loose. Take Finn and the other defectors. All former Stormtroopers and are very effective thanks to their training, yet every time we see a Stormtrooper...they suck. One of these things is not like the other.

Chris

edit: Before anyone else says it was done in ANH, I am aware but it was still different. First they where brought on board the Death Star and hid from large groups of personnel. The moves through the station disguised and only got into a fight in the cell block. Even then they still delayed the response. Their escape while yes unlikely, still seemed more plausible instead of just blasting their way through. Plus, it could be argued that Tarkin let them go.

Fair points all.

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Was there ever a time we thought the heroes were ever in any real danger? Even Chewie was an obvious bait & switch. Perhaps SW should be more GOT's ;) Except it might be harder to market and sell those hero toys, if they dropped off like flies..

I know, that’s why I said we know they will succeed. Just at least make it look good. I don’t necessarily want a GOT type thing either as that was just the other side of the same coin...the good guys always died! Lol.

I like seeing the heroes triumph, just make it seem like the enemy was competent while they do it is all.

Chris

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Lol. It is a crying shame how awful stormtroopers shoot. Props to The Mandalorian fan service on that one. Where's a clone trooper when you wanna kill something?

Amen brother. ;)

Troopers at the standoff didn’t seem toooo bad either. Mando gets hit several times too. Of course he has armor...both plot and beskar but still. :)

Chris

17 hours ago, Bolt said:

I think that's what makes Empire SO much better and the best film of the franchise.  You really feel like all the heroes are actually in danger most of the film.  There's a sense of Vader is actually PISSED and some bad things are going to happen.  He's choking officers out left and right.  You know when Luke runs off half cocked he is going to get his ass handed to him by Vader.  Vader is fighting him one handed at the beginning of their fight in the carbon freeze chamber. 3PO gets blasted into oblivion and Lando betrays our heroes.  Then Han gets turned into a popsicle!  Then Luke looses his hand. It's a darker toned movie and I can't imagine having been in the theater when it opened, walking out going "DUDE! WHAT?! DAMN!"  

......I now need to watch ESB this weekend.......:ph34r:....to remind what a GREAT SW movie is like.

Edited by derex3592

4 hours ago, TehPW said:
Aladdin. X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Star Wars TFA. This combo makes far more sense…  

Head canon accepted.

So the real question is: Who was the lucky guy or gal that mated with a Gungan to produce Darth Jarjar?

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I think that's what makes Empire SO much better and the best film of the franchise.  You really feel like all the heroes are actually in danger most of the film.  There's a sense of Vader is actually PISSED and some bad things are going to happen.  He's choking officers out left and right.  You know when Luke runs off half cocked he is going to get his ass handed to him by Vader.  Vader is fighting him one handed at the beginning of their fight in the carbon freeze chamber. 3PO gets blasted into oblivion and Lando betrays our heroes.  Then Han gets turned into a popsicle!  Then Luke looses his hand. It's a darker toned movie and I can't imagine having been in the theater when it opened, walking out going "DUDE! WHAT?! DAMN!"  

......I now need to watch ESB this weekend.......:ph34r:....to remind what a GREAT SW movie is like.

Definitely this!

polar opposite- Finn and Rose get captured..i was rooting for Phasma.