What are Everybody's 3 favorite & 3 least favorite Macross toys?

Graham

What are everybody's 3 favorite & 3 least favorite Macross toys?

Here's the rules:

1) You can list up to a maximum of 3 toys in both the "favorite" category and 3 toys in the "least favorite" category.

2) They have to be toys that you actually own or have owned at some time.

3) State the reason(s) why they are your favorite or least favorite toy.

4) No Robotech toys! Macross toys only please.

Here's my list..............

My 3 Favourite Macross Toys:

1. Bandai 1/65 VF-17D/S - I’m a big fan of the VF-17D/S design, it’s one of my all-time favorite VFs. Although the Bandai is chunky and has limited articulation, it’s a fun, simple and quick toy to transform. The older I get the more I appreciate simple fun toys. Also the Bandai VF-17D/S is nearly indestructible, being stronger even than the fabled 1/55 VF-1 Chunky Monkey. In 22 years I have yet to have a 1/65 VF-17D/S break on me, despite them being dropped, thrown against walls, beat against the ground (by my son), crammed into packed toy drawers etc., whereas 1/55 VF-1 toys have broken in similar circumstances. Also, the detail on these is not bad (apart from the terrible  landing gear), all the panel lines from the detail-up drawing in TIAS Mac 7 are there and in some angles such as top down view in fighter mode, I even think it looks better than the Yamato version.

1. Bandai 1/60 DX VF-31J/F - I love the look of the VF-31. Although this is a relative newcomer to the Macross toy lineup, it looks absolutely awesome. It’s a pleasure to transform and the engineering and overall design of the toy are top-notch. The only minor niggles with this toy are the frosted finish on the canopy and the gap behind the cockpit, but I can live with those as the toy is overall so amazing.

1. Yamato 1/60 VF-19F/S – The pinnacle of Yamato’s Macross achievements as far as I’m concerned. I’m a big Macross 7 fan and have always loved the look of the VF-19F/S. When I look up at the clear blue sky on sunny days, it’s always a VF-19F/S I imagine myself flying through the sky in. Great toy, loaded with gimmicks, easy to transform and looks fantastic in all three modes.

(Honourable runner-up status goes to the Yamato 1/60 v2 VF-1 series and the Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 VF-1 series).

My 3 Least Favourite Macross Toys:

1. Bandai 1/60 DX YF-29 series – While it looks good in all three modes, the frustration factor with this toy is just too high for me. Every time I try to transform back to Fighter mode, the bloody shoulder armour pops off multiple times and getting it to stay on is a real pain in the ass. I have nearly thrown my YF-29 toys at the wall hard, multiple times in frustration. The older I get the less I enjoy being frustrated by a toy. With the YF-29, the frustration factor far outweighs any fun factor for me. These days I never try to transform them anymore. Also, as with many Frontier era Bandai DX toys, they suffer from loose hip joint and/or loose shoulder joint syndrome.

1. Bandai 1/60 DX v1 VF-25 series - Hugely disappointing. Thankfully, Bandai realised how popular Frontier was and how disappointed people were with the v1s and decided to up their game with the hugely improved v2 VF-25.

1. Banpresto VF-1 toys - Thankfully short lived series of horrible little toys…..urghhhh

My 3 favorite Macross toys:

1. VF-1S 1/60 Roy everything.  This is an amazing toy that i only dreamed of when i was looking for Macross kits in the 80's. i would look at Forbidden Planet, Books Nippon, Yohan just to finda variable kit. I have like 10+ roys indifferent variations in this 1/60 line. amazing.

2. the sdf-1 1/3000. sculpt, colors, details are top notch. Really great seeing the customs ppl built on this.

3. VF-31F Messer, the skull emblem is well done and looks like it doesn't rub off easy. i have 4 paid for and 1 more awaiting payment. 

My 3 least favorite Macross toys:

1. VF-171 didn't even bother to open mine and sold it to Bee, the shoulders broke off.

2. YF-29, i had 7 of these and sold them all off. it looks too busy and didn't like the aesthetics.

3. YF-30 the missile pod in battroid looks so stupid.  

Top 3

1/55 VF-1S with Super Parts. This is what started it all for me. Such a solid, well designed and built toy that was way ahead of its time and still a great toy by today's standards.

1/60 VF-0S by Arcadia. Probably one of the best designed, made and looking Valks ever. An amazing toy.

1/100 Hi-Metal R Regult. Finallly a quality and scaled enemy for my Valks to go up against. If I could, I'd say the whole HMR line but the Regult is what pushed me over to get into the line and was my first HMR.

There is no such thing as least favorite Macross toy to me. I guess if there was one I would let go before any others, it would be the Figuarts Zero Mirage figure I just got. It looks great but it doesn't transform and it barely moves at all. I held off getting it until it was on sale but about a week later, it went on sale for almost half the price I got it for and I wish I waited just a bit longer. It was my first Figuarts Zero figure I ever bought and I'm not into statues much so I knew what I was getting into but it looks good and I was fiending to get more MAcross figures in my hands.

Edited by Slave IV

hmmm...

Top 3 would have to be..

1. Yamato v2 VF-1. Generally speaking but it would have to be the "J" variant in particular. The VF-1D and TV VF-1A brownies are other favs of the v2 VF-1 line.

2. Yamato VF-19. I pretty much love them all (even the Kai) but if there was one which stood out above the others its the VF-19P. It has one of the best head sculpts of any Valkyrie, it looks bad ass in battroid and as with the other VF-19 has some of that special anime chunkiness! 

3. As with Graham, I'm gonna have to include one of the relative newcomers to the game and put the VF-31 in 3rd place! For the moment the 31J is the pick but until (or if) we get the 31A which at this stage im sure will take over as my primary fav of the 31 family.

Bottom 3..?

This is a tough one.. I do love them all but if I had to place 3 at the bottom of my list it would have to be...

3. Yamato SV-51.. I do really like this bird but its one of those that I only really like in fighter mode. A similar feeling I have with the VF-4 but its fighter mode is so good that is way above many others even though I only really like it in fighter mode. So it doesn't make the bottom 3..

2. Yamato VF-17F.. I do much prefer the head sculpt of the 17S but generally speaking the 17 is has always looked much more underdone and toy like compared to most of the other Valkyrie's. Battroid is definitely its stronger mode in my opinion but there is still that awkwardness to it that I don't like.. Still glad to have both variants in my collection nevertheless. I am surprised how much more I prefer the VF-171 over the VF-17 also. I'd happily have a dozen of those in my collection! 

1. so the bottom of the list has to go to Yamato's YF-19.. Aside their odd proportions, to me it's never been much of a good thing and all the ones I have and had owned were all loose and floppy, don't lock up properly have parts (legs) fall off.. The Arcadia YF-19 renewal is a bad ass bit of kit but Yamato dropped the ball on it in a similar fashion to their original VF-0 line but I've only have very limited experience with them so they don't make the list..

1) bandai's 1/55 vf-1s and vf-1d hi-metals just because they were so much fun to have and to explain to everyone what they were.

2) the yf-30 just because it dared to be different and pulled it off! Altho some may not like it, its proportions and stance just looked really sleek and advanced for a modern valk. Tied with the 262, because again kawamorixbandai pulled a rabbit out a hat with a complex transformation and look that is unlike any valk in 30 yrs.

3) I haven't had a 31 yet in my hands, but that would be here if am not mistaken, just based on all the reviews and feedback of a sturdy valk!
    I like the size too!

Special mention to arcadia's  0S as well for being the closest to an upgraded version of the VF-1 lol...(altho yeah its supposedly a prequel)

No least favorites really! But then again dont have that large of a collection as some forumers here.

but i am waiting for a DX of the 19 by the king of tampo bandai to make it into my fav's list. :lazy: and if that becomes a reality, then maybe a DX 21 :aggressive:

Edited by seti88

Hey David is back. Welcome back. Now get to the vf31 thread and update the list ;p

Surprised by the hate for the yf29. I actually think it's one of the funner dxs, shoulder armour popping off nonwithstanding.

Favs

1. Vf1 v2 Yamato/Arcadia - pretty much the perfect valk toy now that the bugs have been worked out. Brillent design, simple and accurate.

2. Vf31 dx bandai - Amazing engineering without being over engineered. The hands however are a step backwards and prevent it from the number one spot. Paint chipping is also a minus.

3.Vf19 Yamato - the most solid valk ever. Solid in all three modes. This toy actually feels as sturdy as a toy should. Not fragile like a model.

Honarable mentions

Vf-19 advance, yf-29, 1/48 Vf1

Least favs

1. 1/72 vf11 Yamato - leg broke off 10 mins after first opening it. Arghhhhhhhh!

2. Vf-2ss ET - a disgrace to modern toys. Feels like it should've been released in the same era as the 1/72 yamatos.

3. Vf25 dx version 1 especially with super and armour parts. - subpar design and seriously can those super parts be any more annoying to get to stay on. WTF Bandai.

Special runner up

Yamato vf11 1/60 - I orginally liked this toy but now hate it. It's gotten so floppy loose but the worse thing is that stupid heatshield. I've never got that thing closed correctly. I've watched dozen of videos and posts on how to do it but it's s never worked. Seriously at the point where I don't think it's me. I must of got a bad one but I'm not risking buying another to find out. All the monkeying around with it cause the tab behind the cockpit to partially break. The neck is staying up by a tiny piece of what's left of the tab. When that finally breaks fighter mode will not be able to hold together. Arcadia please redo this mold.

Edited by Sandman

My favorite would be:

1) Yamato 1/60 VF-11.  The updated version.  Love the design.

2) Bandai VF-19 advance DX.  Love the look with the boosters and pre applied decals. 

3) Bandai YF-30 DX.  Love the design.

Least favorite:

1) Bandai DX  SV-262 draken.  The ugliest mess of a valkyrie I have ever seen.  Basically an overweight and deformed Valkyrie with little wings.     

2) Yamato 1\60 SV-51.  Much better looking than the Draken but still a mess with an obtuse design and wings that don't stay up.   

3) ???????

1. Yamato/Arcadia VF-4G- This by far is my favorite fighter mode.  The toy is an engineering masterpiece that has yet to be improved on, when I show this to people and then tell them it can transform into a robot they are always amazed.  This is also where I wish the Macross mecha designs had gone, as this seems like a step in merging aircraft and spacecraft.  It has obvious vector thrusters for zero g maneuvers and with the majority of fighting being in space you would expect more spacecraft than straight atmospheric designs going forward with Valks.
  1. Yamato VF-1S v2 Roy- I have three of these.  What can I say, this valk even more than the VF-1J is why I love Macross.  The v2 vf-1s are still my favorite valks, as the design is simple enough that the toy looks amazing with a fairly simple transformation and great posability.  The vf-1s are still my favorite design, and these toys are beautiful and fun to own.

1. Yamato 1/60 VF-11C- One of my other favorite fighter modes.  The toy is great, fun to transform and all three modes are good looking.  A great toy that looks great (the black and white is just so much better than the grey B :p).

1. Yamato VF-22S STURMVOGEL II Gamrin Kizaki – What a train wreck.  The high speed wings droop.  The transformation is infuriating.  The hips are a bit loose.  Just feels fragile.  I bought this on ultra clearance, and I regret spending that.  Only toy in my collection I would get rid of (if they ever release a renewal yf-21 I will).  Uggh.
  2. Bandai Sv-262Hs Draken III- Pretty gappie in fighter mode.  Even worse transformation than the VF-22s.  Feels cheap compared to the Yammies.  This is where I have to pick 2 more least favorites, so this and the next I do like, but they are my "least" favorite.
  1. Bandai Yf-29- Again, just feels a bit cheap compared to the Yammies.  Not sure if it's the paint job or the plastic they used.  I like the toy, but it's way down in my collection.

1. Yamato V2 VF-1 all of them. They're an instant classic and the design is almost ten years old and its still good .
  2. Yamato VF-19 S/F/P Solid in all modes and just exudes quality.  
  3. Arcadia VF-0S this one is damn near perfect. Super tight joints all around and one of my favorite designs after the VF-1 and the fighter mode cannot be beaten.

1. Bandai 1/60 DX VF-27 1.5 My favorite design from Frontier and it never got the proper treatment even in "renewal" form.
  2. Bandai 1/60 VF-171 CF I have two of these, one has shoulders the broke, the other had the shoulders disintegrate as well as the chest hinge.
  3. Evolution Toys VF-2SS I don't completely hate it and I think its ok but its definitely the weakest of all my Macross toys.

Dishonorable runner-up status goes to DX Macross Quarter - Cruiser mode w/o the stand is a joke.  

Edited by anubis20

Favs:

1. Bandai YF-29 (minus the Isamu version)- I absolutely loved the 30th Anniversary, Rod, and Ozma customs, Alto was OK. Had more than the 25 had going for it without armored or superparts. Overall fun and value, and superparts were optional- not required for further enjoyment.

2. Bandai VF-171EX- I love the look and the feel. Everytime I see them I think of a mass modernized NUNS wing of fighters. I think the Alto and Luca colors are a beautiful homage to DYRL. I would be satisfied with or without armored parts just because of the look in every mode. Only transformation is sometimes a pain, but practice makes perfect.

3. Tie: Yamato VF-1S TV Version v2, and VF-11C- Both were absolutely stunning, fun; with ease of transformation, and could almost do any pose I wanted. Enjoyable with or without super parts.

Fav runners up goes to: VF-1A TV Max, VF-0S with Ghost, and Tomahawk Destroid

Unfavs:

1. Bandai  VF-19 Advance- WAY- WAY too much happening here- needlessly. Yes you can keep mind decay away with this level of transformation involved- but its not fun. I also found gerwalk a turnoff, battroid were disproportioned, and the SMS wing boosters are not really made for it.

2. Bandai VF-25's- either v1 or v2- its a very limited toy without super, armored, or tornado parts. Transformation and sculpt on v2 is amazing, but without parts, its boring. (Exception made for the YF-25 since its the prototype/ trainer)

3. Bandai VF-171 CF- The most beautifully colored valk in existence aside from the SVF Cavaliers or Low vis VF-1S, and it had to be ruined by horrid factory QC issues. Why? WTF?

Unfav runners up go to the: YF-30, YF-19, YF-21 and VF-27

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Most Favorite:  

1) Takatoku Macross line...especially the henkeis!  The toy company that kicked it all off......'nuff said...

2) Bandai HMR Macross line....every single one and all future releases...no other way to get a full set of "in-scale" friendlies...and enemies!!!  And they happen to look great!  I mean seriously....we are getting this!!!

sizechart-1.gif

A perfect homage to the original Takatoku Macross collection....HM-Respect!!!

3) Yamato V2 Macross line......What can be said about this legendary line that hasn't been said already.....I am 99.999% sure that no other toy company will ever release as "complete" a selection of VFs that encompass the entire Macross franchise......Yamato was so close to releasing at least one version of every VF spawned out of Kawamori's mind at the time they were still in business....I collected Yamato....Arcadia, you are NO Yamato!

*4) Yamato 1/48 VF line......I feel I have to include these....SIZE IS EVERYTHING! (well, unless you are an HMR)

Least Favorite:

1) Most Arcadia VF reboots....:lazy:

2) Bandai V1 VF-25 line......what a waste......but at least Bandai learned a valuable lesson.........their Macross customers are forgiving and have deep pockets? :drinks:

3) Yamato V1 1/60 line....except GBP (like the bruiser look of it).....They were awesome at the time....but unlike the venerable 1/55 "chunky monkey"....have not aged-well and do not get much respect (deservedly?).....however, they were the harbingers of the new Macross Golden Age of Toy Collecting....so tip of the hat to them!.......but yeah, they still suck.....:nea:

Edited by jvmacross

My 3 best

Too young for Takatokus:

1- Yamato VF-1J GBP armored (gray visor) This one has the everything that V.2. line has to offer. The only down side is that it does not include the Super/strike parts.

2- Yamato 1/48 VF-1J GBP armored. Because size matters. And again, everything in the same package.

3- I must call this a tie. Yamato VF-11B and YF-21. Being the Omega One one of my favorite valk of all times and unarguably the VF-11B being the most well designed valk from the Yamato era.

For my 3 least.

I never owned a toy I didn't like.

For some time I owned a Yamato Q-rau but I got bored that it is just a figure. I can say that if it does not transform, it falls in my least favorite category toys.

Edited by Froy

Favorites:

1. Doyusha 1/144 YF-19 and YF-21

2. Hi Metal R Destroid Monster

3. Hi Metal R VF-1A, VF-1J Max & Millia, VF-1J w' GBP

Least favorites:

1. Revoltech VF-1 (transforming version) - It was a bad idea from the get go.

2. Yamato GNU-DOU VF-1 battroid figures - Overpriced and quite possibly the floppiest & flimiest feeling toy I ever purchased. It has a nice sculpt though. If the GNU-DOU line came with fighter mode figures, I might have liked these a heck of lot more.

3. Just about everything released by Toynami. Oh wait, these aren't Macross toys... :p

FAVS --   Yamato 1/60 Ver2 VF-1 Elint Seeker and most other VF-1's (minus the ones with broken shoulder issue, which I luckily never encountered).

Yamato 1/3000 DYRL SDF-1. Thank God I bought one back when they were released! 

Bandai Hi Metal R Monster/Glaug -- I mean come on!!! Who would have thought we would EVER get these!

Hated --  Yamato VF-11B  - Sorry, beautiful planes, froppy mess now.

Bandai VF-171's -- just shoot me now

Yamato YF-19  Double Nuts, love the paint scheme, but damn that thing looks fugly now.

29 minutes ago, jenius said:

C'mon guys, no one mentioned the VF100 VF-25 toys? Those might be my least favorite toys ever.

They were correctly in 1/100 scale and looked decent enough in fighter mode... so I forgive it to some extent.

My 3 favorite:

1) The Takatoku and Bandai 1/55 VF-1 line

2) The Hi-Metal R line

3) The Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2 line

My 3 least favorite:

1) The Bandai VF100 VF-25 line

2) The Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v1 line

3) The Bandai DX VF-25 v1 line

My 3 Favorite Macross Toys:

1.  Arcadia VF-0D/0S:  Looks great in all three modes, an interesting design that doesn't need extra packs, armor etc to elicit attention. 

2. Arcadia/Yamato VF-1 series:  What hasn't been  said about this toy.  Simple design, fun to transform and handle.  A true masterpiece in engineering.  Simply one of the best modern toys to ever be released.   The Un assembled kits were underappreciated.   A true game changer.  My favorites being the VF-0D and the TV Fokker VF-1S.

3. Bandai VF-31F:  The pinnacle of the DX line.  Loads of detail, articulation out of this world for a transforming Macross toy.  Bandai has finally realized their potential with the DX line.

Honorable mentions:

Yamato 1/48 series:  I still have most of these displayed in my cabinets.  So Menacing!

Bandai Yf-19 Advance and Arcadia Y-19 a virtual tie.

My least Favorite Macros toys:

1. Yamato Koenig Monster:  How big is too big?  Well this is it.  Not to mention floppy

2. Yamato 1/72 VF-11:  The hips were reminiscent of the Gakken Mislead ride armor.   Plastic instead of Metal= breakage

3. Bandai V1 VF-25 series:  Poor proportions, weak execution.  Only looks good in fighter mode, and it  suffers from the weak shield connection.

Favorites:

1. DX VF-171EX Luca - EWACS Nightmare valk? What more is there to say?

2. DX VF-171EX Maruyama / Alto - Solid Valk that is beautiful in all 3 modes. I love how the VF-171 is old-school without all the wings sticking out in the back crap

3. DX VF-171 CF (even with the crappy shoulders). Nothing beats Cannon fodders even if their toy representations feature ultra-realistic shattering. I own Freaking 12 of these things and If they made a Macross Delta CF-171 dear god save me :p

Least favorites:

1. Yamato VF-1 V1 Series. I only bought them because they were the only game in town. Super Meh, even though I bought one on super duper sale from Jerry at VF1x.com waaaay back in the day

2. Yamato YF-21 / VF-22. Getting the legs back into fighter mode and god forbid rolling the valk backwards when its landing gear is out

3. Yamato V2 YF-19. Exploding dorsal hinge and biceps

I am sure if I had owned a Bandai V1 VF-25 it'd make the worst list as well.

Conclusion: Duy has irrational love of VF-171's

59010e8d02df1_WP_20160428_22_51_13_Rich(2).thumb.jpg.f647a418e634dbed423000c9185e4f4d.jpg

This is such a hard question, seriously.  :lol:

Favorites (in no particular order because I can't decide):

- V.2 1/60 VF-1.  I think the fact that we're now seeing rumors of bootlegs of this mold speaks volumes about its staying power, challenging the old 1/55 chunky as the king of the VF-1 molds available.  Original shoulder issues aside, it's one of the most solid and dependable molds Yamato made, and one of the easiest to take apart and maintain, from the era before Yamato rediscovered screw covers.  It's also the most complete line of canon and pseudo-canon VF-1 schemes in existence, I believe covering every variant ever animated (minus the Alaska Base green one, but that was how they advertised the kits.. :p ).

- The 1/60 VF-19 series.  I'm going to stretch things a little, and lump the Arcadia YF-19 in here as well, since it shares so much. (I want to even lump the Bandai VF-19 Advanced in here, but that might not be fair since it's so different.)  The VF-19 in all its forms is probably my favorite variable fighter design in existence, and the design I have more of than anything after the VF-1.  My only regret is that they didn't expand this line as far as the VF-1, because I would have bought the living daylights out of a low-vis or white VF-19, or even a kit version.  It's just a beautiful mold, of a beautiful plane. 

- The 1/60 VF-4.  I love this design, and until Yamato made their version, this thing was like a holy grail in a unicorn costume.  No, we didn't get the paint scheme we wanted, and no, it's not the most pose-able of valks, but this thing just amazes me that you can hide a robot inside something that looks so entirely aerodynamically slick.  Of all the Macross designs, I think it's the most likely to receive comments of the "Wait.. what.. it transforms?!" nature.

Non-Favorites

1. The original DX VF-25. It's a close call between this one and the VF-171, but this one takes the cake in terms of everything you can possibly do wrong when designing a transforming toy.  They didn't even attempt to make it look or work like the animation model (which Bandai's model division did just fine at), they cheapened out on the landing gear to an extent that has not been seen either before or since, they molded large sections of the toys in the wrong color and painted over it, they screwed the customers over by not planning ahead for any of the super or armor packs, and the afterthought designs for said packs were terrible, and in the case of the armor, could flat out destroy the underlying toy with stresses it wasn't designed for.

2. The VF-171.  I'm not going to pretend I don't like this design, and it's very nearly an amazing toy, but Bandai's pants-on-head engineering for it has really destroyed it for me, both in a figurative and literal sense.  The rotten design for the leg twist and knee mechanism left one of my CF-171s in literally more broken parts than all the pieces I have ever broken off of any other valk I own combined.  Aside from that though, the lousy issues with all the shoulder parts, the sloppy hip bar mechanism, the stupid nonsense with the replacement wings, and the generally unenjoyable transformation just kinda ruin this one for me.

3. The old Yamato 1/60 YF-19.  To clarify, I don't have anywhere near the ire for this that I do #s 1 and 2.  It's just the next in line, and overall, just a disappointment to me.  I'm not going to hold the durability issues in the shoulders against it, because that was a larger issue around the time of the original VF-0s, and the plastic felt very similar.  The design itself is just disappointing, and really was put to shame with the new VF-19 molds.  Between the gullet, pointed up nose, and too thick side profile all around, it just doesn't look very attractive (though the top view is fine really).

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

Favorites:

2. DX VF-171EX Maruyama / Alto - Solid Valk that is beautiful in all 3 modes. I love how the VF-171 is old-school without all the wings sticking out in the back crap

3. DX VF-171 CF (even with the crappy shoulders). Nothing beats Cannon fodders even if their toy representations feature ultra-realistic shattering. I own Freaking 12 of these things and If they made a Macross Delta CF-171 dear god save me :p

Least favorites:

1. Yamato VF-1 V1 Series. I only bought them because they were the only game in town. Super Meh, even though I bought one on super duper sale from Jerry at VF1x.com waaaay back in the day

2. Yamato YF-21 / VF-22. Getting the legs back into fighter mode and god forbid rolling the valk backwards when its landing gear is out

59010e8d02df1_WP_20160428_22_51_13_Rich(2).thumb.jpg.f647a418e634dbed423000c9185e4f4d.jpg

Wow you really love the 171. Out of curiosity, how many had the broken triangles?

Favorites would be:

1)  Yamato VF-1 1/48 series, while not as complete as the V.2 line, the sheer size of the Valks w/FP's wins me over. 

2) Macross Zero series (despite QC issues with Yamato & Arcadia) Such epic designs! 

3) Takatoku 1/3000 SDF-1. (Very first Macross toy ever). I've had mine for over 25 years with no issues, love it! 

Worst would be: 

VF-19 Kai (Ronald McDonald meets Valkyrie... no thank you)

YF-29's (Fighter mode & Gerwalk are decent, no love for Battroid) Rod had the only good color scheme IMO. 

ET VF-2SS. Since 1993 I have wanted a large scale Toy of this majestic bird.... heartbroken that this is what we got.

Honorable mentions: Bandai HMR 1/100 line, Yamato VF-11B 1/60, Yamato VF-17's and the VF-19 Advance. 

33 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

ET VF-2SS. Since 1993 I have wanted a large scale Toy of this majestic bird.... heartbroken that this is what we got.

Was wondering when someone would add this bittersweet disaster.....I guess you actually have to own one or have owned one to even consider adding it to your list of least favs...

I consideted it, but it looks good as a static display piece and who else is going to have the ballz to release one in 1/60....fills a void well enough for that scale....it's funny how they are still available at many web shops but no one wants to liquidate their stock.....looking straight at HLJ....Black Friday is coming...again! :D

Another dishonorable mention for me would be the v1 VF-1 line.. Even after having owned almost all of them, I had a lobotomy to remove that section of my brain which contained the memories of owning those bloody awful things.. so now to the best of my knowledge it never happened! LOL!

Yeah, the VF-2SS probably gets the top award for bad. While I have mine with the SAP, the cheap plastic, poor locking tabs and design are a killer. At least it is solid in Battroid. Hell, at least the V.1 Yamato VF-1 locked in place nicely for fighter. 

Three favorite:

1) VF-4G: It's probably my favorite non-VF-1 design.  I think it's fairly unique looking in comparison to everything that came afterwards, which I feel have mostly been variations on a theme.  

2) Yamato/Arcadia VF-1: the pinnacle of VF-1 toy designs (thus far).

3) Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 VF-1: It's a classic for a reason.  Plenty of nostalgia wrapped up in this toy.

Least favorites:

1) YF-29: I personally find everything after the VF-25 to be more of the same.  Everything that came after is just a VF-25 with different wings or some other slight modification.  Also, handling the 29 with super parts is annoying.  The wings don't stay in position and are floppy due to the extra weight of the super parts.

2) VF-0D: Too many sharp points and fins make it not fun to handle.

3) Yamato 1/48 VF-1 with super/strike parts and missiles: I'm probably going to get some flack for this, since I know a lot of people still like the 1/48s.  But I'm specifically talking about 1/48s with the strike parts and missiles attached.  I had a 1/48 a few years ago, and honestly I found it so frustrating to handle the toy with all the parts on.  Something would always fall off, and forget about trying transform it with parts on. 

Favorites:

1. VF-2SS by Evolution - Graham said favorite, not best, most well engineered, anime accurate etc. For me, it fills the void of having wanted one as it's my favorite valk. I actually have 3 Silvie's, 2 Faeries, and 2 Nexx's. I really enjoy them regardless of all their MANY faults and am looking forward to having Bandai's someday (hopefully).

2. VF-19 Double Nuts/Bird of Prey - the paint scheme does it all for me plus the white body molds (vs. cream) seals it. Have them both on display in a prime spot, they look great and compliment each other well. And if you flightpose angle them just right to conceal the underbelly disproportions they look so good.

19real.jpg

3. Low Visibility City Urban Camo w 1/48 VF-1J - again, the paint scheme and markings is what did it for me. Rare, menacing, clunky yet sophisticated.

(Honorable Mention: 1/60 VF-X - I really, really like this valk a lot. Again, the paint scheme, simplicity, plus the rarity but just not quite as unique to me as the above.)

Leasts:

1. 1/60 VF-25F (1st release) - Gerwalk legs? Fighter proportions? Battroid proportions? Discoloring plastic? Overall a let down.

2. 1/72 YF-21 (ver 2 w/fast packs) - As much as I wanted to like this as it broke the mold for typical variable fighter toys, I just could never get into it although for its day it was well done. On the other hand I have the Max and Milia 1/60 Sturmvogel II's and think they're great (except for their hips, grrr)! 

3. 1/60 VF-1J Super Valkyrie (ver 1) - The partsformation. Right out of the gate still a relatively new company attempting Macross toys, using diecast, new molds, high hopes, making finding old Takatokus not as daunting, yet they couldn't figure out a way to engineer some attached swivel legs? 

(Honorable Mention: VF-2SS by Evolution - Yes it's weird to like it so much and yet be so simultaneously disappointed in it ...just keepin' it real folks ...jus keepin' it real.

6 hours ago, Duymon said:

Favorites:

The only valk with an a elongated radar(?) tail the length of its body? I got it too and i like the look it brings alongside every other valk..One of my fav's too...That's the magic of macross, i don't thk (or i would say very difficult) you can narrow down to a top three...

I thk bobby head the nail on the head...its a favorite list not best made etc...:p

Edited by seti88

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

Wow you really love the 171. Out of curiosity, how many had the broken triangles?

Out of 12, 5 had triangles broken. I actually bought sturdy 3d printed triangles for all the gerwalk / battroid ones since you don't need the tampo details visible. 

I then uses all the OEM triangles I removed from those 8 valks to mix and match for a good set of 4 for the fighter modes valks.

10 hours ago, spanner said:

LOL! I think I can almost count 171 of them in this photo! :p:lol::good:I want more CF-171 now! :D

Do IT. Join the evil VF-171 bandwagon.

I bought most of mine for 30-60% off MSRP from Mandarake and other members who got bumb VF-171's

8 hours ago, seti88 said:

The only valk with an a elongated radar(?) tail the length of its body? I got it too and i like the look it brings alongside every other valk..One of my fav's too...That's the magic of macross, i don't thk (or i would say very difficult) you can narrow down to a top three...

I thk bobby head the nail on the head...its a favorite list not best made etc...:p

Radar Domes 4 life

WP_20141205_10_29_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.19fcd10ec0a932a3b10d5446d82e6f73.jpg

Edited by Duymon

15 hours ago, Duymon said:

Favorites:

Least favorites:

When I grow up- I wanna be this guy!