Is it worth it anymore?

slaginpit

14 hours ago, Sandman said:

When i first started this hobby, there was no preorder madness. I virtually never bought anything on release day. I always bought when i was ready to buy. I usually just looked for deals and worked the new stuff around the deals. Now however i'm getting everything as a preorder to avoid paying higher later or missing out entirely which leads me to missing out of deals. I miss the old days. 

It's like wtfrk?! Sell out in 15 seconds? I should count my blessings with the HMRs but I do want a stab at those Macross chogokins but alas................

• 4 weeks later...

I did stopped collecting Macross toys when I went to Camera GAS full on, now many years later I just stopped on Camera GAS early this as I am working full-time in the industry which use cameras almost daily (company's camera), it's different when hubby become full time job, so I am now back to collect Macross toy again, for me its totally worth it!

Btw my friend bought Sideshow Harley Quinn early this month and now the leg broke off, so its happens not exclusive to Macross

Edited by ntsan

I am faced with having to rebuild a collection after losing mine. I researched and remembered what I didn't like about my old toys. The v1 1/60 was a crap sculpt to my eyes, as was the 1/48.  I don't like how small the new Bandais are. I settled on the v2 1/60. I only collect the vf-1 series. 

I said all that to say this: is it worth it to collect toys? Absolutely not.  You'll seldom if ever get your money back collecting anything, nevermind toys.  Buy what you like.  If you stop to consider worth, or investment, you've already lost. If you just buy what you like, you can't lose.

maybe you're the type of guy who is a completionist, you collect multiples of every scale in every model. You've got one to open and three to store. More power to you, there is no wrong way to enjoy your hobby.

maybe you or someone you know buys valkyries and regularly makes 200 or 300% profit. More power to you, you're very lucky, that hasn't been my experience.

so I buy what I like, I buy used, and I don't buy to resell.