sh9000

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the idea of Taika taking over GoG3.  He did a fantastic job with the last Thor movie.  A little new blood would be refreshing.  Too bad about Gunn, he did make a pretty good pair of movies, after all, GoG was never really as popular in Marvel comics as the other brand names like X-men or Spiderman.  His movies were certainly better than the Iron Mans and the first two Thor movies.  

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

On a side note, don't use Twitter.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

And if you do, delete your account every couple of years so no one lynches you for something you said a decade ago.

Good advice :good:

Out of curiosity. How many years before people or any corporation, movie company, whatsoever to forgive and forget what one person said and posted over the web 8 years ago in which the person already admitted that he was different back then compared to someone who's also known to have bad vices prior before landing a comeback role to play someone invincible for the last 10 years? :unknw:

Anyways, just thinking out loud.

While I'm sad that this may negatively inpact Guardians 3, ultimately, the truth of the matter is that Gunn got himself fired. Studios spend ludicrous amounts of money to make these movies and I trust that Disney has already seen what bad publicity (fan backlash) can do to even THE biggest film franchise (Star Wars) and likely jumped into damage-control mode at the first hint of a media sh*tstorm. I don't blame them, hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line.

24 minutes ago, captain america said:

While I'm sad that this may negatively inpact Guardians 3, ultimately, the truth of the matter is that Gunn got himself fired. Studios spend ludicrous amounts of money to make these movies and I trust that Disney has already seen what bad publicity (fan backlash) can do to even THE biggest film franchise (Star Wars) and likely jumped into damage-control mode at the first hint of a media sh*tstorm. I don't blame them, hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line.

In recent times I came to the conclusion that it was a mistake to allow people on the Internet. The upload to the Internet should be limited to robots, and trained professionals. :p 

On the other hand we are probably in a transitional generation that will be the last ones that will be bitten by their past sins on the social networks when the Internet was wild and unregulated. Our grandchildren will probably be much aware of what you can and cannot post on the Internet.

It would be interesting to see if publishing your personality on online social platforms is a thing  that is here to stay. 

On 7/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, Scyla said:

In recent times I came to the conclusion that it was a mistake to allow people on the Internet. The upload to the Internet should be limited to robots, and trained professionals. :p 

You mean like a bunch of monkeys?  If so, I'd agree.  But the problem is that with the internet, it is literally so powerful that taking it away from people will enable all sorts of negatives.

18 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’d watch a GOTG movie with a team up of Thor, Rocket Raccoon, and Winter Soldier.

Only if the Winter Solider doesn't get to keep his arm, I wonder if Rocket can get Cap's shield.  But I do hope that GoG is a stand alone without extras or anything like that.   While I think the Thor/GoG part of IW was hilarious, Marvel shouldn't go to that well too often.  Team ups should be selective and meaningful, not every Captain America need to pull in all the cast of the Avengers.

Concerning those old Disney pics, indeed. Everyone has a skeleton or two, has made a poor decision, or an offensive comment. I certainly have; I try not to anymore. It's part of maturation as we get older. As he said, he was trying to provoke a response, and nothing provokes in the US like pedophilia, so it was the easiest hot-button topic to address to get a rise. I don't agree with it, and apparently neither does he, looking back. Anyway, I wish Disney would take a moment to give a second thought to their decision, as I don't think anyone else will do as good a job with GotG- it's been his baby, and his storytelling and humor have been the fuel to make it successful.

... Except that those old movies were NOT controversial in the least when they were made; pedo pervyness, on the other hand, has always been taboo... there is a canyon sized amount of difference.  To judge those movies by the PC standards of today is to be as disingenuous, shallow, and moronic as those who rail against and wish to ban books like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Those old movies played on stereotypes, like the crows from the classic Dumbo cartoon movie; they are time capsules, not closet skeletons.

This whole situation makes Disney look really bad IMO. I'm baffled at the people that actually think he's a pedophile though, the disconnect is VERY real. Nothing he tweeted was any worse than anything I've seen or heard in a Comedy Central Roast, everyone did something before Disney, and there's zero chance they weren't aware of that. Oh well, they made their 2 billion+ off of him.

Remember, building the future is all about tearing down the past.   What was acceptable yesterday is abhorrent today.   It's the case today, and will be the case in the future.  Consider the movie Dr. No, there was a scene where James tells his helper (a black guy) to go fetch his shoes.  Today, the screen writer would be fired for even thinking such a thing.  But back in the old days, it was considered acceptable.  People and the times change.  Now, thanks to social media and the internet, everyone is an a-hole to someone.   Too bad the public as a whole has taken on the persona of the thinnest skinned jerk  that happens to be online and that's what sells.  

That said, Gunn did some outstanding work with GoG, it'll be interesting to see if he can be "rehabilitated" in the eyes of Hollywood.  Hopefully, Disney will do something and promote some new talent to take over GoG.  Well, they only have one more GtG movie to go.

Edited by kalvasflam

3 hours ago, mechaninac said:

... Except that those old movies were NOT controversial in the least when they were made; pedo pervyness, on the other hand, has always been taboo... there is a canyon sized amount of difference.  To judge those movies by the PC standards of today is to be as disingenuous, shallow, and moronic as those who rail against and wish to ban books like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Those old movies played on stereotypes, like the crows from the classic Dumbo cartoon movie; they are time capsules, not closet skeletons.

Wait, did we just equate racism to the "PC standards of today"? :blink: And I've read the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I don't want it banned any more than I want those old Disney cartoons banned, but ugly is ugly and evil is evil - there is nothing PC about that. And yes racism in all forms, at any point in time, is just that - ugly. We shouldn't care what the societal standards were at the time.

I really wanted to stay out of this discussion because there really is no "right" or "wrong" as far as we know. We can debate the topic 6 ways from Sunday but no one knows the mind of the person that made the "jokes" in question. At best they were in poor taste and at worst...well there's a special place in hell for folks that hurt children.

I'm in the camp that I believe Gunn was trying to be a provocateur vs. airing out some perverse personal desire. But I don't know, and at the end of the day it's not my place to pass judgement. I've formed an opinion and nothing more.

All of that said, I sure hope no one judges me as a person based on some nonsense I said 10 years ago. 

-b.

PS - get the Director from Ragnarok or Ant-Man and the Wasp to take over GoTG, Gunn is entirely too toxic at this point, petition or not and support of the folks who actually know him or not

17 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

We shouldn't care what the societal standards were at the time.

That line of thinking inexorably leads to tearing down of commemorative/symbolic statues and monuments, desecration of sacred grounds and holy sites, book banning and book burning, destruction or art and relics, rewriting of history and disrespect/disdain for past accomplishments, vilification of entire religious - ethnic - racial groups based on collective guilt, and all sort of undermining of societal cohesion.  It is a potentially dangerous slippery slope with no bottom; all to assuage modern sensibilities which often prove to be incredibly fickle and often irrational.  It is one thing to offer honest criticism of the past and come to terms with it (the good, the bad, and the ugly), but entirely another to vilify it based on morays that either did not exist or were mostly irrelevant when they took place... context is everything.

As for Disney, they just pulled a major CYA with Gunn's firing because they saw the bad publicity nightmare he represents.

8 hours ago, mechaninac said:

That line of thinking inexorably leads to tearing down of commemorative/symbolic statues and monuments, desecration of sacred grounds and holy sites, book banning and book burning, destruction or art and relics, rewriting of history and disrespect/disdain for past accomplishments, vilification of entire religious - ethnic - racial groups based on collective guilt, and all sort of undermining of societal cohesion.  It is a potentially dangerous slippery slope with no bottom; all to assuage modern sensibilities which often prove to be incredibly fickle and often irrational.  It is one thing to offer honest criticism of the past and come to terms with it (the good, the bad, and the ugly), but entirely another to vilify it based on morays that either did not exist or were mostly irrelevant when they took place... context is everything.

As for Disney, they just pulled a major CYA with Gunn's firing because they saw the bad publicity nightmare he represents.

We will have to agree to disagree on some ideas, even while I see your point about applying whatever "today's" social standards are to "yesterday's" social standards, - some things are abhorrent no matter when they occurred and what was the "norm".

Slavery (no matter the culture or continent that it occurred on) wasn't an accomplishment. Genocide, child sacrifice, any number of things people did across the globe or here in the good ole US of A should be looked at as horrible. I don't see mine or anyone else's disgust for those things as irrational or fickle. We agree that history shouldn't be changed or re-written as is so often it is, usually to the detriment of all, it should be remembered as is, the good, bad and ugly, so that we can learn and grow from it collectively. But to be honest, some monuments need to be torn down.

It is a slippery slope and where the line in the sand is drawn can be quite arbitrary based on one's own value structure. Mine tells me that I won't blindly respect the past just because "things were different back then".

The part in bold - Disney absolutely pulled a CYA. Whether they were right or wrong, I can certainly see how a quick and decisive decision had to be made. Agree with them? Ehhh, maybe so, maybe no, but blame them I don't.

-b.

15 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

We will have to agree to disagree on some ideas, even while I see your point about applying whatever "today's" social standards are to "yesterday's" social standards, - some things are abhorrent no matter when they occurred and what was the "norm".

Slavery (no matter the culture or continent that it occurred on) wasn't an accomplishment. Genocide, child sacrifice, any number of things people did across the globe or here in the good ole US of A should be looked at as horrible. I don't see mine or anyone else's disgust for those things as irrational or fickle. We agree that history shouldn't be changed or re-written as is so often it is, usually to the detriment of all, it should be remembered as is, the good, bad and ugly, so that we can learn and grow from it collectively. But to be honest, some monuments need to be torn down.

It is a slippery slope and where the line in the sand is drawn can be quite arbitrary based on one's own value structure. Mine tells me that I won't blindly respect the past just because "things were different back then".

The part in bold - Disney absolutely pulled a CYA. Whether they were right or wrong, I can certainly see how a quick and decisive decision had to be made. Agree with them? Ehhh, maybe so, maybe no, but blame them I don't.

-b.

Your last two lines are how mechanianc is describing how history should be viewed too.