seti88

Ooo I like it. Would definitely like to see how it looks with some hmr 

I bet you could Frankenstein it with some msg chain bases or the fext bases

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

2 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Ooo I like it. Would definitely like to see how it looks with some hmr 

I bet you could Frankenstein it with some msg chain bases or the fext bases

That has been the dream diorama for me for years!

I always loved this image.....

tumblr_lxmllnjkxL1r80d0so1_1280.jpg

Which in combination with other Macross and non-Macross real-life hangar imagery lead me to this....

gallery_12176_633_667508.jpg

Maybe I can fit the CalWings elevator into that "hole" in my chainbase display.....would probably have to then switch to 1/100 HMR or 1/72 CalWing VF-1's....then I would have to find a way to add a carrier deck above it...I have considered using old GI Joe USS Flagg carrier deck parts for that, but never went ahead and bought them...

Edited by jvmacross

3 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

I think the 1/60 vf-1’s would look good on this! Bring it on!!

set3-macross-sdf1-prometheus-hanger-elev

if a 1/72 vf-1 fills it up like that, I'm not so sure.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, sqidd said:

I'll be very cautious as I open the box, take it out, and put it on a shelf for display.:good:

I'm all about intellectual property. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, when you drop the ball as badly as Big West has and there significant customer base is not getting what they want.......well.......I don't feel THAT bad about it.

There s no way that Big West and HG can't figure out a way to make more money by importing Macross stuff to the US. I mean seriously, if they only got $2/ unit it

s $2/ unit more than they're getting now.

IKR? If they won't give the fans what they want, then frak'em I say. 

3 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

IKR? If they won't give the fans what they want, then frak'em I say. 

I totally agree.  Tell me the last Mac0 F-14 was made?! It was a crappy model from hasegawa back in the early to mid 2000’s which I own.

If you make it and it looks decent you got my money.  

Not gonna lie, I'm mostly watching this thread to see how much excitement the "not a Macross Zero release, honest" release generates. Regardless of my opinions on if this is a cool release or not, I think it is an incredibly bad move for the company.

Rule 1 of releasing unlicensed merchandise is you don't tell the rights-holder that you're going to make unlicensed merchandise. Especially when the rights-holder is actively antagonistic towards another company you do business with, and just itching for an excuse to sue everyone associated with them.

Right now, I'm just curious who will move faster. Will Big West sue Calibre Wings before or after Harmony Gold cancels their Robotech license?

(I have exactly zero idea how their Tomcat license will be affected by this. There's clearly some franchise activists making sure that Northrop-Grumman is aware, but I don't know that they actually CARE about decades-old cartoon rights disputes. )

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm mostly watching this thread to see how much excitement the "not a Macross Zero release, honest" release generates. Regardless of my opinions on if this is a cool release or not, I think it is an incredibly bad move for the company.

Rule 1 of releasing unlicensed merchandise is you don't tell the rights-holder that you're going to make unlicensed merchandise. Especially when the rights-holder is actively antagonistic towards another company you do business with, and just itching for an excuse to sue everyone associated with them.

Right now, I'm just curious who will move faster. Will Big West sue Calibre Wings before or after Harmony Gold cancels their Robotech license?

(I have exactly zero idea how their Tomcat license will be affected by this. There's clearly some franchise activists making sure that Northrop-Grumman is aware, but I don't know that they actually CARE about decades-old cartoon rights disputes. )

I am also following this with interest. I have contacted CW very recently about pre ordering one myself, and according to them the model is still going ahead. As much as i want to pre order one, i am wondering if it's better to wait and see?

I'm thinking HG is not going to cancel the license but is watching to see if BW goes after them; if not, then I suspect Hg will suddenly try to greenlight other Macross series merchandise, despite them being knocked back in court after court.

16 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Despite the controversy I put in an order. I believe it’s on flying mules site now. I ordered directly through calibre wings. 

And I judge no one for that. I can be excited about the drama without also hating the folks that just want cool toys to whoosh through the living room.

I think they would've been better served by letting an unrelated third party (that they bribed under the table) create some aftermarket pilot name decals, and made the pilot figures DYRL-style instead of Zero-style. And, you know, NOT used actual Macross Zero footage to promote the release.

They can get a DYRL license through HG if they don't have one already, and the pilots would be "close enough, I guess". Then they could just declare it a low-viz Macross F-14, like their existing black+red "stealth" F-14. Big West would still be apoplectic, but they'd have a harder case without any explicit Macross Zero connection. I mean, Big West doesn't own the idea of a gray F-14.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

(They really never should've talked to Big West in the first place. I'm going to assume they were simply unaware know how bad the relationship between Big West and Harmony Gold is, and believed securing a Macross Zero license would be as easy as getting the SDF Macross license was.)

Ok, Calibre needs to step up their packaging for these releases to the same as their "official" releases.

That "gear down" package is not a good idea, and is how the gear on my Hikaru-schemed one broke.  The more things sticking off of the plane in the package, the more there is to break off.  They need to package everything separately.

On the other hand, it looks like they at least learned that lesson with the nose pitot tube.. :rolleyes: 

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

And I judge no one for that. I can be excited about the drama without also hating the folks that just want cool toys to whoosh through the living room.

I think they would've been better served by letting an unrelated third party (that they bribed under the table) create some aftermarket pilot name decals, and made the pilot figures DYRL-style instead of Zero-style. And, you know, NOT used actual Macross Zero footage to promote the release.

They can get a DYRL license through HG if they don't have one already, and the pilots would be "close enough, I guess". Then they could just declare it a low-viz Macross F-14, like their existing black+red "stealth" F-14. Big West would still be apoplectic, but they'd have a harder case without any explicit Macross Zero connection. I mean, Big West doesn't own the idea of a gray F-14.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

(They really never should've talked to Big West in the first place. I'm going to assume they were simply unaware know how bad the relationship between Big West and Harmony Gold is, and believed securing a Macross Zero license would be as easy as getting the SDF Macross license was.)

Nah......if AutoArt can release a NOT Mad Max Interceptor......Calibre Wings can release a NOT M0 F-14....BW had nothing to lose with granting the license, now it will lose just a few bucks....so they probably weren't going to make much money on a license so they didn't care either way as long as they did not appear to be dealing with an associate of HG I suppose.....seems petty to me and not in-line with their supposed concern for the fans...

large.20190805_205305.jpg.8283f259a5ae61

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Cool...this thing looks ready for takeoff!  Can't wait to get mine!  Hopefully they do a nice plain box like with their WF releases...

Thanks for posting! :drinks:

I hope they don’t make the tail and names stickers. Don’t know if that’s a way around licensing issues. 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:58 PM, sh9000 said:

B998BCE8-608E-488E-B6D4-BAD483EA31F7.jpeg.4bb7ec79785fda04d9e513a9b47b3a91.jpeg

From Calibre Wings.

I have a feeling this will not happen. I don't blame BW at all for it, either.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:31 AM, sqidd said:

I'll be very cautious as I open the box, take it out, and put it on a shelf for display.:good:

I'm all about intellectual property. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, when you drop the ball as badly as Big West has and there significant customer base is not getting what they want.......well.......I don't feel THAT bad about it.

There s no way that Big West and HG can't figure out a way to make more money by importing Macross stuff to the US. I mean seriously, if they only got $2/ unit it

s $2/ unit more than they're getting now.

It has nothing to do with BW dropping the ball. They didn't respond to CW because CW tried to burn them before, and I doubt when you deal with a business that tries to screw you over, you're going to grant licenses to them.

While people do small kits here and there, I think most companies will look the other way. That has been a common thing for all sorts of franchises. That said, when it gets to the point where supposedly "professional companies" start to make stuff that they have not been granted a license to do, that becomes a problem that has to be addressed by the license holder. It's also the same when mass production of bootleg products of something already produced are made. It is the license holder's right to protect their property as much as they desire. They may be able to do it by getting rid of the pilot names, changing the tails, and maybe keeping the kite, but they would need to get HG's approval from it I assume, and I don't know if that will fly. If it does, then it won't be the M0 version.

I have no interest in CW products. They look OK and all, but 1/72 isn't really a scale I collect a lot of stuff of. That said, there are kits of the F-14 that I am interested in buying, and making my own custom of this someday.

Edited by Jasonc

14 minutes ago, Jasonc said:

They didn't respond to CW because CW tried to burn them before

Perhaps I missed something?....explain please. 

All I know of the prior relationship between CalWings and BW was via Wonderfest and those special WF releases received licenses otherwise they wouldn't have been at WF.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Perhaps I missed something?....explain please. 

All I know of the prior relationship between CalWings and BW was via Wonderfest and those special WF releases received licenses otherwise they wouldn't have been at WF.

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering.

Unless you consider buying a license from HG as burning BW?

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:09 PM, Chronocidal said:

I honestly don't trust any available stands with my diecast planes.  I just use the landing gear.

Also... while I had decided I had enough F-14s, they sucked me back in with this scheme.  I'm a huge sucker for prototype markings.  Just preordered on BBTS.

2cdcc5b0-92f6-40f7-950a-e6e4d8a50d3e.jpg

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/130668

This is not a thing that is easily modeled.  It's the prototype B, when it had a D's chinpod.  It's had at least 3, maybe 4 different types of engines (F401's!) and for most of its existence, a unique rear fuselage.  (the 'nibs' on the sides of the engine shrouds are very square, I think it was done for the F101 tests) (not typo, F101, not F110).   It's a Frankenstein of an F-14. Many different configurations, never quite an A, or B, or D.    Cool scheme, but dang hard to do totally accurate.  I think the glove pylons are unique, too.   Depends how much work Calibre is putting into the mold for a one-of-a-kind variant.