Calibre Wings 1/72 F-14D Diecast Macross Custom

seti88

Am not sure if these goes here but its a macross custom of a toy, so for everyone to go dreamy...

Obviously more pics in the link...

Enjoy!

17904461_701979770004080_4504118037137444989_n.thumb.jpg.8a37aa0a4262286c511b01774b972004.jpg17990724_701979823337408_8398055930224616210_n.thumb.jpg.3145bf3e07af59495d3e71d8f5ee79ea.jpg17967003_701979883337402_2546255445663465127_o.thumb.jpg.63225d04b533bbe420741d152bcadb9d.jpg17861992_701979733337417_8740432542035872059_n.jpg.17ee70ba68709c2a4246e8b0bfd5e1f3.jpg

And no, they aren't for sale. But perhaps some creative folks here can come up with a similar work?

I stand corrected.  Just seen a pic on there page of someone doing the weathering on one of them.  Those pics are of the ones sold at the last Wonderfest then. Maybe they were made by Calibre Wings but packaged in a custom box that don't identify them as such?  Anyways, hope they do a Macross Zero version someday.

A 0a would be different enough, whereas a 0s scheme would end up almost similar looking to the abv roy custom.

Still would be very nice to see customs of those too!

1 minute ago, David Hingtgen said:

Edited title.  They look close to the F-14B/D hybrid that Shin flew.  But definitely not an F-14A.  :) 

Thanks! I wanted to ask to change that, but wasnt sure if it was worth bothering! :good: :rolleyes:

I put the A because calwings first batch releases are A versions, but forgot that they customized further for the macross schemes..

• 2 months later...

Opened a thread in the others anime section, as calibre wings announced a collab for robotech. 

image.jpg.b4720406b44b4e4739a78f68fb6f7411.jpg

Mods since am not sure what they are announcing, maybe to shift this thread to that section? 

Initially i guessed this would fit in the toys section cos the initial tomcat custom was more a macross mention by black aces/calibre wings rather than robotech.

Well if its under RT, thats most likely.

Its not official that its going to be F-14's, but since they are diecast aircraft manufacturers and it was teased before in wonder festival, it probably would be F-14s.

11 minutes ago, Murphy said:

stupid question: Are these things the exact same as the ones sold in Japan but just with the robotech branding?

Different main coloring, unweathered/lined?, comes with figures, display stand, different painted Phoenix missiles x 6 , air brake can open, collectors card and packaging and some other stuff.

Edit: From the Caliber wings Robotech thread

On 7/22/2017 at 4:33 AM, Blackaces said:

*snip*

And there are differences between the WF version & the RT version.

- WF no pilots, RT pilots plus bonus pilots (not yet shown)

- WF no stand, RT metal stand

- WF no collector's card, RT with collector's serialised card

- WF white body with toning, RT light grey body without toning

- WF Mk I F-14 tooling parts, RT Mk II F-14 tooling parts

- WF 2 x grey phoenix & sidewinder missiles, RT 6 x (RMS-1 looking) phoenix & sidewinder missiles

- WF plain underwing, RT with UN SPACY printed on under wing

- WF & RT has slightly different livery scheme

- WF brown box, RT collector's box

- WF with Big West sticker, RT no Big Weticker

- WF speedbrakes sealed, RT speedbrakes deployable 

Thank you.

Calibre Wings as a fledgling company would like to be afforded the opportunity to be able to continue in the long run to produce truly wonderful scale models as collectibles for the fans and friends whose passion for them drives us with purpose everyday.

Edited by wmkjr

Ordered 2...1 just to keep in the collector grade.  This really completes the evolution of the VF-1.  Roy's F-14, Roy's VF-0, Roy's VF-X, Roy's Low viz VF-1S (The VF-x fully converted to a VF-1S, and then the legendary Roy Skull 1 in white.

5 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Ordered 2...1 just to keep in the collector grade.  This really completes the evolution of the VF-1.  Roy's F-14, Roy's VF-0, Roy's VF-X, Roy's Low viz VF-1S (The VF-x fully converted to a VF-1S, and then the legendary Roy Skull 1 in white.

Damn, you just made me want to order one even more...

11 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

For some reason, this seems perfectly logical to me. :lol: I ordered Roy, and now I'm thinking about picking up one of the real-world models to go with it.

13 minutes ago, technoblue said:

For some reason, this seems perfectly logical to me. :lol: I ordered Roy, and now I'm thinking about picking up one of the real-world models to go with it.

Yeah, I think I'd still rather have a real Jolly Roger deco...

• 10 months later...

So I did end up getting a Jolly Rogers F-14

Macross_Q-Rau_F-14_VF-1A_DSCN3455.jpg.ae069f4c7ed98b754a043fe61b976022.jpg

Are the weapons meant to be glued in? Some fit snugly but some feel really loose, especially the side pylon for the AIM-9 & AIM-7 missiles. I was hoping that would not be a thing for a model like this.

52 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

So I did end up getting a Jolly Rogers F-14

Are the weapons meant to be glued in? Some fit snugly but some feel really loose, especially the side pylon for the AIM-9 & AIM-7 missiles. I was hoping that would not be a thing for a model like this.

I think the wing glove pylons need a bit of work to fit snugly.  The tab and slot don't quite match up, so I actually coated the tab on my pylon with glue, then sanded it down to fit better.  This was one of the earlier releases from Calibre, and the more recent ones have fit better.

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think the wing glove pylons need a bit of work to fit snugly.  The tab and slot don't quite match up, so I actually coated the tab on my pylon with glue, then sanded it down to fit better.  This was one of the earlier releases from Calibre, and the more recent ones have fit better.

Got it, thanks! I'll try something similar or perhaps more low tech...like some tape, lol! Did later releases come with a better stand too? I'm a bit paranoid about using the FlightPose style stand mine came with.

The most recent releases come with a different type of stand like the ones shown in promo photos of the Robotech-branded releases.  They're a common type of F-14 stand (I think I've seen them referred to as "Witty Wings" stands?) but I'm also hesitant to use those because of how they support the plane. 

They clip around the back portion of the speedbrake area, which on most 1/72 diecast F-14s should be fine, but the Calibre releases have that section made of plastic to allow for the opening speedbrakes.  I'm not a fan of supporting the entire plane that way for long periods, so I've mostly just stuck to displaying mine on the landing gear.

Honestly, the only really sturdy points of contact for the F-14 that I like are either mounted inside the sparrow alley down the center of the belly, or inside the exhausts.  Provided the fin recesses are deep enough, you could even make a stand that replaces the missiles themselves.

7 minutes ago, seti88 said:

On the calibre wings fb page they have an upcoming over the ocean dio stand that looks interesting...

32191372_905047203030668_540728497006444544_o.jpg.460eb374dce6efc9c7fb1a9391d145f1.jpg

That looks pretty cool, especially if the whole box is included but I bet it will cost almost as much as the plane if so. I think I would have preferred a carrier diorama base with more options for catapult and flight looks.