1 minute ago, TangledThorns said:

Summer Glau as Batgirl?!

Then it would just get cancelled, the curse of Summer is very real...

I don't know how to feel about this, WW and Justice League could both be terrible, this seems like putting the cart in front of the horse yet again. Maybe figure out your already questionable and not entirely stable films before announcing others. I mean, is Flash even coming out next year? Does that movie even have a director anymore? Whedon is nice, not nice enough for me to drop my skeptics, all of these live action DC films have been crap shows and I'm just not seeing any reason to get optimistic or excited just yet.

Funny. It's kind of like déja vu. Bryan Singer made hit with X-Men. Warner snatch Singer to do Superman Returns. Joss Whedon made  a global hit on Avengers (another Marvel franchise). And now here's Warner again snatching someone from the other camp to do something for them. Hopefully Whedon will pull this off compared to Singer.

21 hours ago, Big s said:

It may be good. Most of the info says it has nothing to do with the D.C. film franchise, but it feels weird having all these films coming out that don't tie together.

That is weird. I'd still like to see it, but I'd be disappointed if Ben Affleck or JK Simmons didn't have a role or cameo. It'd be like a film in a 'bubble...'

• 4 years later...
  • azrael changed the title to Batgirl - in theaters and HBO Max in 2022

... I have a bad feeling about this.

That the comic book quote about "using their expectations against them" in the Instagram post feels like the very worst kind of tempting fate for an already failure-prone franchise.  

The choice of replacement director feels less like tempting fate and more like actively courting failure.  Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah don't have much of a filmography, and what they do have in that regard is pretty underwhelming outside of Bad Boys for Life.

The costume... eh... I don't do superhero comics as a rule so I don't know about how authentic to the comic it might be, but is it supposed to look like someone took an off-the-shelf women's leather motorcycle suit and hastily painted it purple?  

(Given that Keaton's set to play Batman again, we should probably just be thankful Schumacher-era bat-nipples are a thing of the past.)

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The costume... eh... I don't do superhero comics as a rule so I don't know about how authentic to the comic it might be, but is it supposed to look like someone took an off-the-shelf women's leather motorcycle suit and hastily painted it purple?

Yeah, actually.

JAN190653.jpg.c294b0bc7d635897cdb9ce49616b8aa1.jpg

The suit they're using in the movie looks like it's got a bit more padding in the jacket and dark gloves instead of yellow, but it's fairly accurate on the whole.

I have no idea who Leslie Grace is.  Doesn't seem like she's been in much of anything before Batgirl.  I'd be real hesitant to see this in the theater, but I'm already paying for HBO Max so I've got nothing to lose but time.

• azrael changed the title to Batgirl - on HBO Max in 2022

I like the costume, and psyched if Keaton comes back as the Bat. Unsure however about Leslie Grace. Never heard of her before, and from what I've seen so far, she doesn't really have the look of Batgirl. Batwoman maybe, but I don't get a young, brash vibe that one would expect when using that suit as the basis for the movie version. This should be a teenager, not an almost thirty year old.

But, I will give it the benefit and see what they do. Would love to see more super heroines on the screen. Just do better than the CW Batwoman...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Apparently it didn't make 'the cut' with Warner Bro as not big enough of a 'tent pole' to support a franchise. That and apparently lackluster screenings and a few reshoots that failed to fix whatever they saw was wrong.

Not saying I'm gut-punched about it, as I was disappointed they didn't keep the character as a teen, as in the comics, and instead went with putting the character in her thirties. The big loss though, is not seeing Keaton as Bruce/Batman again! Dang blam-it! At least he'll still be showing up in the Flash movie. Right...?

Oh well, here's to hoping the concept can be revamped at some point into a series with an 'age appropriate' character.

https://thedirect.com/article/warner-bros-batgirl-movie-cancelled

Edited by Thom