The SDFM 40th Anniversary Pictorial Celebration through Diorama and Photoshop

jvmacross

OK, let's see how far we can take this!

No rules except one...have fun!

However......it would be nice to stick to SDFM, at least initially, in honor of it's upcoming 40th Anniversary....

Loose guidelines...

Recreate a scene from each of the 36 episodes of SDFM using toys and kits (Macross toys/kits and other accessories)....the gimmick.....superimpose the shots with real backgrounds, classic or modern illustrations or cel backgrounds from the actual show!

Example from Episode 06:  Daedalus Attack

sh9000f.jpg

Inspired from an actual scene from the episode:

large.58bb9d751a990_Episode2daedelusatta

How it was created:

Pic from Sh9000's collection of VF-1A CFs:

gallery_21587_791_45388.jpg

Plus pic of Saturn's rings wallpaper pic found on the webs:

http://valentinespace.weebly.com/uploads/5/1/1/8/5118239/8745711.jpg

Plus photoshop magic (this one courtesy of vlenhoff):

sh9000f.jpg

= Happy 40th Anniversary SDFM!!!

Feel free to use this thread to post ideas, scenes you would like to see recreated, backgrounds that could be used, or the pics of your collections in dioramas to be used in this pictorial series commemorating the 40th Anniverary of SDFM....

Edited by jvmacross

• jvmacross changed the title to The SDFM 35th Anniversary Pictorial Celebration through Diorama and Photoshop

Cool thread.

I've got this old pic.  I plan on redoing it with my TV VF-1S Roy and adding the background.  Or if this pic is workable just add the background and correct the pilot.

gallery_21587_791_595246.png

gallery_21587_791_386134.jpeg

Reposting from HMR thread to kick things off....

Suggestion:

From Episode 1: Booby Trap:

VF-1J_Macross_City.jpg

Sh9000....you could pose your VF-1J Commander-type and a VF-1A Soldier in a similar setup...I think you also have some type of in-scale tank you could use....

Then, vlenhoff, or someone else with photoshop skills, can superimpose the toy pics with a background like one of these:

26479DA300000578-2991516-image-a-34_1426

041bbf1195e387bad65f2e28deac67c9.jpg

destroyed-pictures-1.jpg

40 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Cool thread.

I've got this old pic.  I plan on redoing it with my TV VF-1S Roy and adding the background.  Or if this pic is workable just add the background and correct the pilot.

gallery_21587_791_386134.jpeg

So a pic of a window inside looking out......

31 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

buildingsc.jpg

Nice work!

We should include the episode number/name with the pics posted....or play "name the episode"? :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Cool thread.

Could any of these be used?

photo1jpg.jpg

karen-s-book-barn-java.jpg

1.jpg

photo.jpg

8 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

here is a quickie...

streetb.jpg

Impressive skills!  Looks fantastic!

Vlenhoff = King of Macross Photoshop

This is from Episode 2: Countdown....the scene where Roy is on his way to help Hikaru from himself! ^_^

Edited by jvmacross

You guys are too kind. I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here with mad photoshop skills!

I will try those pics above for some Countdown love. The angles of those pics are pretty good, we will see if they work... ( ugh that Toynami thing, no offence...)

35 minutes ago, Mog said:

Using this toy pic:

Just an FYI (to you and others posting model kits): it's much easier* to do if the background is a solid colour (preferably one with a colour difference from the model.  Sh9000's above are a good example: white on creme).

* Replace 'easier to do' with 'much more likely to be done' at your discretion. ;)

8 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

May as well repost this one: I'm sure it's valid from one of the episodes...

Not On My Watch - Final.jpg

Nice illustration...but not valid for what this thread is about....

" Recreate a scene from each of the 36 episodes of SDFM using toys and kits (Macross toys/kits and other accessories)....the gimmick.....superimpose the shots with real backgrounds or art found on the webs"

TV Max 1/48 VF-1A was one of the last 1/48 toys released as a Macross Chronicles exclusive. The Hayao TV VF-1A is the last 1/48 toy that was ever released and is kinda hard to come by... not a lotta love for TV Hayao out there.

TV Hayao's most memorable scenes were getting shot up or dying. :D

But yeah, that 1/48 Max VF-1A was one of my last Macross purchases.  Didn't have a 1A Yammie in my collection at the time (other than the 1/60 V1 DRYL Max), and Max really earned his reputation in the white and blue 1A.

The toy company's show a lot of love to Max's 1J ride, but not much to his 1A bird.

Glad I purchased it, but wish I had the space to display her properly nowadays.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:15 AM, jenius said:

TV Max 1/48 VF-1A was one of the last 1/48 toys released as a Macross Chronicles exclusive. The Hayao TV VF-1A is the last 1/48 toy that was ever released and is kinda hard to come by... not a lotta love for TV Hayao out there.

Last new release. They reissued the hik and roy 1Ss after TV Hayao.

• i wish i could get a hold of that 1A TV max and Kakizaki, We will see. Ha, I forgot the heat shield was on in that shot. I was thinking post shield retraction scene. After he deploys the Gerwalk's antenna, as pictured.  Oh and the dead zentran is coming soon...

edit in: hey i fixed the turbine on the VF-1D... I am not sure, but you can probably see hikaru on his flight suit in there...

Edited by vlenhoff

9 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:
  • i wish i could get a hold of that 1A TV max and Kakizaki, We will see. Ha, I forgot the heat shield was on in that shot. I was thinking post shield retraction scene.. Oh and the dead zentran is coming soon...

edit in: hey i fixed the turbine on the VF-1D... I am not sure, but you can probably see hikaru on his flight suit in there...

Wow...you're good!  I didn't even realize that you added the clear canopy to the VF-1D until you brought it up....and yes, now I see Hikaru! :shok:

:hail:

Starting to figure out what scenes from Episode 3: Space Fold would be cool......I'm thinking Megahouse TV SDF-1 + pic of ocean/city, maybe space + effects to get this scene...

sdf-space-fold.png

robotech-the-macross-saga-1-3-space-fold

5 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

i Think several shots can be made of the battle of macross island. 2 or 3 Cf's in one shot battling on the streets. 

Ok....we can stick to episodes 1 and 2 for now.....I'll take some pics of some CF's in these poses and find some backgrounds to match.....

large.image002.jpg.fed9a065642d9d2f7e878

large.image001.png.2111e3c0fcd7964951da9