Jump to content

Walkure's debut album receives Album of the Year award


kajnrig
 Share

Recommended Posts

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/02/27-1/macross-delta-walkres-1st-album-chosen-as-animation-album-of-the-year-by-japan-gold-disc-award

Came across that on my news feed, thought you all might like/dislike as you please. "Kimi no Na wa" (aka "Your Name," the apparently super popular Makoto Shinkai movie that I still need to check out) is also mentioned in the article.

"Walküre Attack!," the 12-song first album of the five-member girls idol unit Walküre from the Macross Delta TV anime franchise was chosen as "Animation Album of the Year." The album was released on July 6, 2016, and ranked 2nd in the Oricon weekly album sales ranking in its first week. It has sold over 127,000 units in Japan, and was already certificated as "Gold Disc" by RIAJ. Last year's winner was "Love Live! μ's Best Album Best Live! collection II," the second best album of μ’s, the nine-member voice actress unit from the Love Live! franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Yeah, I'm happy for them I suppose. I enjoyed the album well enough, though I didn't know there was a second (and more?). I'm going to assume subsequent album/s have songs from the second half of the show? Any original releases?

2nd album called Walkure Trap!

Latest mini album is called Walkure ga Tomaranai.

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Graham said:

It must have been a sparse year for good new albums.

But yeah, in the overall grand scheme of things, it's probably good a Macross album won, even if it's the weakest Macross album I can think of since the pretty dire Mac Zero OST.

I couldn't disagree more. I think the music has been the best it's ever been and that's coming from a guy who's into nothing but punk and metal. I've found the Attack album to be extremely well composed and gets me right in the feels on several tracks. I know I obviously wasn't the target audience for this Macross but I think it reaches beyond that if you let it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The competition for music was pretty fierce the past year. Considering Love Live Sunshine was released, and a slew of other pretty large shows that had strong musical influences, it was by no means sparse. In many ways, the competition has upped its game the past several years with Idol Master and Love Live franchises releasing several CDs. Delta, from what I've been able to gather, rivals Frontier's music, and while yes, we all know the original SDF and DYRL vocal songs, the past two series (Frontier and Delta respectively) have focused on creating music that not only pulls from different genres and incorporates modern style to it, but is made with a quality and attention to detail that is very rare. It appears and feels like they really did put an emphasis on the music. Personally, I feel the Delta music is probably just as, or second to Frontier's onslaught of great music tracks (in recent years of the franchise. M7 I'd consider a totally different time and demographic of music, even though that was great as well).

While one might argue that the music is only geared for a certain demographic, it's not a sustainable argument. Outside of MW in general, the music seems to be well loved all over. I'm not saying nobody likes it here, but the hate for the series here, and perhaps by default the music, seems to be concentrated to MW. I went to the 2nd Live at the Yokohama Arena, and getting to meet and see people from all over was a good thing to see first hand. Seeing a 17,000 capacity arena sold out for two days in a row is a sight to see as well.

Large numbers of crowds, and chart topping songs do have a way of getting noticed, and those are based on sales and to some extent, downloads as well. This was a well deserved honor they've received, and IMO, the music itself is deserving of that title. Out of all the vocal tracks, I think there may be 2 or 3 that I don't really care for, and even with those, they aren't horrible. The people that don't like the music seem to be a minority by a lot in this case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Benson13 said:

I couldn't disagree more. I think the music has been the best it's ever been and that's coming from a guy who's into nothing but punk and metal. I've found the Attack album to be extremely well composed and gets me right in the feels on several tracks. I know I obviously wasn't the target audience for this Macross but I think it reaches beyond that if you let it.

 

1 hour ago, Jasonc said:

 Delta, from what I've been able to gather, rivals Frontier's music, and while yes, we all know the original SDF and DYRL vocal songs, the past two series (Frontier and Delta respectively) have focused on creating music that not only pulls from different genres and incorporates modern style to it, but is made with a quality and attention to detail that is very rare. It appears and feels like they really did put an emphasis on the music. Personally, I feel the Delta music is probably just as, or second to Frontier's onslaught of great music tracks (in recent years of the franchise. M7 I'd consider a totally different time and demographic of music, even though that was great as well).

 

 

Both well said! (Except the M7 stuff, but I know I'm an outcast there.  Basara is just nails on a chalk board for me EXCEPT Angel Voice.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Now we know why a new Macross show has been greenlit so fast.  Guaranteed it's more Delta.  Have to capitalize on those popular Walkure ladies. 

Wouldn't be surprised, though considering the ending of Delta left much unresolved that can be a good thing. Hopefully they'll work more on the plot and action since the music is in good hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really liked Ikenae Borderline and one or two other Walkure songs, but overall I thought the music in Delta was no where near as good as Frontier and I didn't like the songs enough to want to buy any Walkure albums.

As well as so many awesome songs, Frontier also had great BGM as well (Private Army, Tally Ho, The Target etc), something Delta sorely lacked. About the only song in Frontier that I got sick of was Aimo, the rest of the songs I loved. I bought every Frontier CD released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graham said:

About the only song in Frontier that I got sick of was Aimo, the rest of the songs I loved.

What I got sick of was that there wasn't a longer version of it. It does get tiring, especially when it only has like two verses. The versions that did add to the song also added instrumentation that didn't suit it. I'd have loved to hear "Haha to Ranka no Aimo" (the one that starts out with keyboard and Maaya Sakamoto with an echo filter), extended, without the Megumi Nakajima bit at the end.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...