Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

i know its a prototype still but the panels don't have that tight yamato/arcadia look to them (neither did the earlier yamato effort) we've come to expect from their post V2 Vf-1 projects.  wonder if the fit will improve on production to the normal levels we're accustomed to now.  either way i hope the joints are good...including the wing panel joints

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I like what I'm looking. ^_^

I'm thinking mid-year next year release. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

I’m thinking I agree with your thinking. 

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Coz I'm thinking that I need to recover from this year's expenses first. :rolleyes:

I'm also in that same boat... :p Hmm.. Is Q2/3 of next year is reasonable?

1 hour ago, Mechapilot77 said:

I know its a prototype still but the panels don't have that tight yamato/arcadia look to them (neither did the earlier yamato effort) we've come to expect from their post V2 Vf-1 projects.  wonder if the fit will improve on production to the normal levels we're accustomed to now.  either way i hope the joints are good...including the wing panel joints

A long as it doesn't fall apart like the one of the VF-0 valks that jenius did a review on... :vava:

Edit: I always get the "j" and "g" mixed up

Edited by borgified

I'm so torn on this, because, like the VF-0, it's not something that's changing visually in a significant manner.  It's not like going between the VF-1 version 1 and 2, where you can easily identify the benefits of the new one.  The joints might be better, and the transformation might work more smoothly, but those are of little benefit to a model that stays on display 90% of the time.

I dunno.  If they make a new paint scheme (splinter? pretty please?) I'll probably pick it up, but otherwise I'll probably just grab one.  I know I'm never getting them at the prices I got the originals, either. :p 

What are the odds we’ll see more than just Ivanof and Nora versions?  I’d love CF versions but if all we’re getting are the two principle characters I’m not terribly fond or Noras colors and I’d be more likely to pick up three Ivanof’s and just have a low vis squad.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Chronocidal said:

I'm so torn on this, because, like the VF-0, it's not something that's changing visually in a significant manner.  It's not like going between the VF-1 version 1 and 2, where you can easily identify the benefits of the new one.  The joints might be better, and the transformation might work more smoothly, but those are of little benefit to a model that stays on display 90% of the time.

I dunno.  If they make a new paint scheme (splinter? pretty please?) I'll probably pick it up, but otherwise I'll probably just grab one.  I know I'm never getting them at the prices I got the originals, either. :p 

The old SV-51 us such a piece of crap it can't even do a static display right 90% of the time. :p

57 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Yay! Progress! If they do Nora’s I hope it’s more red than pink, or magenta. 

Yamato did Nora's PERFECTLY IMHO, I would hope for an exact copy of that.  I keep fearing Arcadia will do something stupid like "plain yellow" for the stripes, and not the awesome metallic gold---that'd be a deal-killer. 

Or, they'll make it as pink as Mylene's MAXL... 

Arcadia has a very poor history with "choosing the right colors".  YF-19, VF-0D, I even have issues with some of their VF-1's. 

yeah, their colors but not be as good, but dam I had one of these yamato ones and it crumbled into pieces in my had without me doing much, i literally watched 300 dollars crumble  away. I much rather have some off coloring and much higher quality plastics and engineering. I'm all for these new fellas and anything new that arcadia makes.

• 2 weeks later...

For the young in Macross, I offer a gift known as Macrossvision.  This gift comes only after many disappointments and intermittent sudden loss of buying power as you navigate this challenging tunnel of evil.  

Once acquired,  Macrossvision is not so much used to prevent anything, it essentially just gives you a preview of your impending doom.

The following vision is absolute and vivid.  This is my doom. 

Arcadia sets a release date for the SV-51

I will struggle to not order the first release because I will be certain a premium finish will come later.  Then I will wonder, what if they don’t issue a premium or they go out of business?  

I will then order the first release.  Arcadia will then release the premium.  

I will order the premium before I sell the standard release.  

Anxiety will rise and I will want to sell the first release.  

The only real decision here is over a year away.

Do I sell the standard version I think I don’t need? But what if my premium finish breaks and I can’t get a replacement because they have gone up so much in price?

My children years from now find these toys amongst old pictures.  They say things like, “I remember that” and “oh yeah”

My grandchildren are given the toys and they are broken immediately during transformation while at the dinner table refusing to eat vegetables.  

The Premium Fokker, also now given to the children, is thrown across the room by a chubby hand covered in dry Cheerios and peanut butter.  

My granddaughter, who is eating vegetables and as a result is not being monitored, also glues glitter in globs all over one of them.

But...

Like that mass production VF-1 that makes it around the corner in a cool hugging turn, a lone VF-1 remains sealed somewhere in storage.  

It’s filled with a bunch of replacement shapeway parts that were never needed, but needed to be purchased just in case.  

The tunnel of evil waits for another to come along and start the journey all over again.

Edited by Ridden001

3 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

For the young in Macross, I offer a gift known as Macrossvision.  This gift comes only after many disappointments and intermittent sudden loss of buying power as you navigate this challenging tunnel of evil.  

Once acquired,  Macrossvision is not so much used to prevent anything, it essentially just gives you a preview of your impending doom.

I will struggle to not order the first release because I will be certain a premium finish will come later.  Then I will wonder, what if they don’t issue a premium or they go out of business?  

Do I sell the standard version I think I don’t need? But what if my premium finish breaks and I can’t get a replacement because they have gone up so much in price?

My children years from now find these toys amongst old pictures.  They say things like, “I remember that” and “oh yeah”

My grandchildren are given the toys and they are broken immediately during transformation while at the dinner table refusing to eat vegetables.  

The Premium Fokker, also now given to the children, is thrown across the room by a chubby hand covered in dry Cheerios and peanut butter.  

My granddaughter, who is eating vegetables and as a result is not being monitored, also glues glitter in globs all over one of them.

But...

Like that mass production VF-1 that makes it around the corner in a cool hugging turn, a lone VF-1 remains sealed somewhere in storage.  

It’s filled with a bunch of replacement shapeway parts that were never needed, but needed to be purchased just in case.  

The tunnel of evil waits for another to come along and start the journey all over again.

Hilarious...i almost died reading this:rofl:

3 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

But...

Haha!

well said!

I often  wonder what will become of my collection . I will have to one day educate my son on exactly what’s in papa’s shed.

But out of selfishness, I’ve already got him hooked on Macross , ha!

we seem to always get a revised or premium version of VF’s . I’m excited about the new releases but half of them are newer and not necessarily always better versions of some of the Yammies. 

Still love my yammy VF-4!

In particular, I love my Yammy Nora and Ivanov. Having been familiar with Yamamoto VF’s by the time the SV’s came out , I have swooshed and displayed them without any issues. I also don’t really transform them a whole lot. But that’s just me, I don’t transform most of my VF’s a lot. 

Nevertheless, I’m always curious to see what the new differences and details will be with the latest versions ..

Spot on with your write up @Ridden001 and it usually happens..

42 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Nevertheless, I’m always curious to see what the new differences and details will be with the latest versions ..

I'm also curious to see the differences as well upon completion, even though a prototype of the newer version has been shown for now. The only valks that fiddled with are Arcadia's Vf-1s Strike Roy, 2 1/48 Yamato - 1/48 Strike Hikaru and the Low Vis 1a, VF-171EX Alto and Mirage's 31c out of the 10 valks and 1 Q-Rau that have presently (not in including the HMRs). 

Just now, davidwhangchoi said:

i'm curious what's going on with Arcadia? it's taking pretty long to get this one out...

i hope this is not the last new mold they do.  

having never owned one of their SV's, but having heard all the complaints, I would assume they had a lot of work to do to "make it better", let-alone "right"

19 hours ago, slide said:

having never owned one of their SV's, but having heard all the complaints, I would assume they had a lot of work to do to "make it better", let-alone "right"

Considering the original was as fiddly as it was due to the nature of it design, that even the renewal version won't be "right" either. Just "definitely better". 

They put in a solid effort withthe zero and again that wasn't quite right either. 

Edited by spanner

16 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Remember they’re working with T-Rex for the designs. Big West for revisions and approvals. And some factory in China (that might sell a copy of the molds later on to some small factories somewhere in China to sell it) on this one, so it’s not one company we’re waiting on but 4!

Edited for yah. ^_^ 

On 10/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, David Hingtgen said:

Yamato did Nora's PERFECTLY IMHO, I would hope for an exact copy of that.  I keep fearing Arcadia will do something stupid like "plain yellow" for the stripes, and not the awesome metallic gold---that'd be a deal-killer. 

Or, they'll make it as pink as Mylene's MAXL... 

Arcadia has a very poor history with "choosing the right colors".  YF-19, VF-0D, I even have issues with some of their VF-1's. 

They(even when they were Yamato's R/D team) point to Kawamori each time color accuracy is brought up. They said he said the VF-0A(not Shin's but for Rabbit team) should be grey, not brown and told Arcadia that he preferred the blue they used for final production on the VF-0D better than the blue that Satelite used in the anime on the VF-0D CG model.

I get the nagging feeling that the new SV-51 will be 3/4 of the way we want it. I do hope it's more solid in battroid mode compared to the old Yamato.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

They(even when they were Yamato's R/D team) point to Kawamori each time color accuracy is brought up. They said he said the VF-0A(not Shin's but for Rabbit team) should be grey, not brown and told Arcadia that he preferred the blue they used for final production on the VF-0D better than the blue that Satelite used in the anime on the VF-0D CG model.

This is starting to verge on George Lucas-ish revisionism.  "It's not accurate, but I like the new version better."  So.... what you're saying is, "Screw the people who wanted what they saw on the screen."

I feel like if we were talking about paintings, or art, or something, this wouldn't be such a big deal.  But.. your target audience contains a not-insignificant percentage of aircraft collectors.  These are the types of people who will rake collectibles manufacturers over the coals for misplacing a panel line.

But eh.  Honestly, the changes to the colors and paint schemes don't bother me half so much as the attitude or lack of effort behind them.  If you're going to make a collectible, stick to the source material, and give people what they expect, not some 15-years-later alteration because the designer changed his mind.  "I don't like stovepipe hats anymore, so I'm changing Lincoln's hat to a Stetson."

Frankly speaking, they need to stop asking Kawamori to okay things, and just use their freakin' eyes.  <_< 

21 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Frankly speaking, they need to stop asking Kawamori to okay things, and just use their freakin' eyes.  <_< 

As much as I would like that sentiment, it would be hard since they need final approvals from Big West and Kawamori for them to start mass produce it. :unsure:

Out of curiosity though, how much do you guys think that Kawamori and Big West has to say on all things? Are we talking like 100% from design to prototypes?

Edited by no3Ljm

38 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

This is starting to verge on George Lucas-ish revisionism.  "It's not accurate, but I like the new version better."  So.... what you're saying is, "Screw the people who wanted what they saw on the screen."

I feel like if we were talking about paintings, or art, or something, this wouldn't be such a big deal.  But.. your target audience contains a not-insignificant percentage of aircraft collectors.  These are the types of people who will rake collectibles manufacturers over the coals for misplacing a panel line.

Very much so.  See MP-03 Starscream.  Kawamori seems to like "revising" things lately, that people are asking for "what we grew up seeing, and know exactly what it looks like". 

Frankly--I do not care if Kawamori prefers a Blue VF-0D.   It wasn't blue.   If he wanted it blue, he should have demanded it be so about 15 years ago.   

Also, and even more importantly IMHO---IT WAS PERFECTLY ON-SCREEN-ACCURATE AT THE SAMPLE STAGE.  IT WAS *CHANGED* to be blue.  It wasn't that "they tried matching the anime/canon/consensus coloring, and failed" ---they had it dead-on.   Then the final production version, was completely different.  More so than anything ever gets changed due to "final factory paint-mix was a smidge off from the sample"---it was changed, intentionally, to be inaccurate.  Changing something to knowingly make it inaccurate, when the correct version has already been done/prepared.  That irks me to no end. 

I pre-ordered this, this is what was shown at every retailer soliciting pre-orders:

8E8.jpg

Slate grey-blue and ghost grey, not royal blue and white.  (yes, the main color is just PART of it---the undersides shouldn't be pure snow white, but more like DYRL grey)