New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

6 minutes ago, Saruta said:

Thanks! I did not know she was "just brought in" and did ont go through the same auditions that got us Freyja. That scene in the movie, with "friends in high places" mentioned, definitely has a different feeling now.

Yeah, that scene hit a little closer to home than it should of (especially the movie version). 

Nao (Reina) is the only odd ball from what I've seen since she matches close to Kiyono (Kaname) in past experience, just a few years later.

On a side note I think Nozumi slowly turned into Makina after the show given her new hobby as a bike otaku and her regular gig of hosting the Macross model livestream along side KENN (Bogue).

22 minutes ago, Saruta said:

Okay, I did a duck-and-cover for Ghostbusters, but the shootout started anyway for Gundam...

Told you, nobody was going to defend the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.

Anyway I don't think we have to go that far for creator's pet characters. Ranka Lee. The creator did know to balance it with not letting her ever win the triangle, but everything else... I tried her on some Mary Sue test quiz once, she passed with flying colours.

Ranka doesn't meet any of the four criteria to be a Creator's Pet though.

Out of idle curiosity, I pulled my notes on Ranka and ran her through the Mary Sue litmus test.  She scored a 16, which is a low probability of being a Mary Sue.  She racked up most of her points in relationships, since her friends are all incredibly good looking and she ticked half the checkboxes for traumatic past and family trouble.

Mikumo, for the sake of comparison, scored a 90.  On a scale where 30 is considered a high probability of being a Mary Sue and anything over 50 is a terrible Mary Sue.

42 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Yeah, that scene hit a little closer to home than it should of (especially the movie version). 

Nao (Reina) is the only odd ball from what I've seen since she matches close to Kiyono (Kaname) in past experience, just a few years later.

On a side note I think Nozumi slowly turned into Makina after the show given her new hobby as a bike otaku and her regular gig of hosting the Macross model livestream along side KENN (Bogue).

Yes. The movie version is what I was thinking of. "Friends in high places" is the phrase about Mikumo in the subtitled version I have.

As for Nozumi turning into Makina. I can't help asking if she is, er, developing Makina's single most distinctive characteristic... (Previously known in this franchise as hopes and dreams). The bike otaku part does sound like nailing it, though :)

Edited by Saruta

7 minutes ago, Saruta said:

Yes. The movie version is what I was thinking of. "Friends in high places" is the phrase about Mikumo in the subtitled version I have.

As for Nozumi turning into Makina. I can't help asking if she is, er, developing Makina's single most distinctive characteristic... (Previously known in this franchise as hopes and dreams). The bike otaku part does sound like nailing it, though :)

Just google Walkure Live to see.

Spoiler: No she's not, thankfully. As awesome as they are to look at they are a pain in the back to have. 

My ex-wife was a 38 DDD, I could wear her cup as a hat. She complained about back pain all the time.

To bring this back on track.

With the announcement of the new Delta movie I'm guessing it's a good bet the series is on hold until after the movie is done production?

Let's hope it brings in decent funds so we can get a nice new series.

21 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Told you, nobody was going to defend the 2016 Ghostbusters movie.

Ranka doesn't meet any of the four criteria to be a Creator's Pet though.

Out of idle curiosity, I pulled my notes on Ranka and ran her through the Mary Sue litmus test.  She scored a 16, which is a low probability of being a Mary Sue.  She racked up most of her points in relationships, since her friends are all incredibly good looking and she ticked half the checkboxes for traumatic past and family trouble.

Mikumo, for the sake of comparison, scored a 90.  On a scale where 30 is considered a high probability of being a Mary Sue and anything over 50 is a terrible Mary Sue.

We do seem to have different readings of Ranka. I ran the same test for her and ended up with 35. But while I did not test, I do agree Mikumo would score higher.

8 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Spoiler: No she's not, thankfully. As awesome as they are to look at they are a pain in the back to have. 

I was told as much (that is's a pain in the back) by a certain friend back in Russia. She has a size 9 Russian, which I think translated to a G; she had a size 6 aka DD or DDD, but then she lost weight and the hopes and dreams did not diminish. She is also excellent at tinkering with technology. And she happens to be a lesbian.

She would be Makina if she also sang... not really. She does the villain-style look better (and LARPs excellent villains).

Just now, Focslain said:

With the announcement of the new Delta movie I'm guessing it's a good bet the series is on hold until after the movie is done production?

Seems that way.

Just now, Focslain said:

Let's hope it brings in decent funds so we can get a nice new series.

From the look of it, they haven't had any real difficulty securing budgets since Frontier unexpectedly set the world on fire.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From the look of it, they haven't had any real difficulty securing budgets since Frontier unexpectedly set the world on fire.

I really want them to re-release the Frontier movies with english subs, I'd pay the $80 for those. Also hoping they do that with the new movie and later series.

9 minutes ago, Focslain said:

I really want them to re-release the Frontier movies with english subs, I'd pay the $80 for those. Also hoping they do that with the new movie and later series.

The release of Macross Delta with subs sold well enough to do subs for the movie too... so hopefully next time they get it into their heads to re-release the library of previous Macross titles we'll see official subs there as well.

Just now, Seto Kaiba said:

The release of Macross Delta with subs sold well enough to do subs for the movie too... so hopefully next time they get it into their heads to re-release the library of previous Macross titles we'll see official subs there as well.

Now THAT would be cool.

so, any info on the new movie then? When will we get a trailer or teaser for that?

Just now, Bolt said:

so, any info on the new movie then? When will we get a trailer or teaser for that?

All we know, thus far, is it's coming 2019 and it's supposed to be an all-original movie.

Can't begin to guess what it might be about, given that the series resolved the Windermere thing pretty definitively and the movie drew a line under it.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

All we know, thus far, is it's coming 2019 and it's supposed to be an all-original movie.

Can't begin to guess what it might be about, given that the series resolved the Windermere thing pretty definitively and the movie drew a line under it.

Well depends.

They could do a prequel for the group, this would allow them to replace Mikumo and Freyja since their singers are slowly moving on. JUNNA is doing well as a solo and last I heard Minori joined Love Live.

Or if a sequel then a galactic tour? Maybe have them met the Marduk and sponsor the emulator program?

I honestly thought the second movie idea was a forum joke until I saw these recent posts and googled.

Well here's hoping we get to see some Walkure character development this time. Ideally I want to be prescient with my post here about the idol genre possibilities, of course :)

9 hours ago, Focslain said:

There isn't much more other then she was an unknown that had a voice that hits like a truck.

But like Mikumo she didn't do a general audition and was just brought in. Walkure is her first gig (same for Minori and Nozumi).

As for history you can add a lack of it for JUNNA, at least via Twitter, her account was opened up just prior to the Walkure announcement. From what I can see all her social media started up around that time. At least without going into stalker territory.

I thought all the Walkure sans Freyja's VA had done work in the anime/singing industry pre-Delta? I thought that was kind of the point? Hold an audition for the new talent that would mirror the audition for the new talent in-universe, meanwhile the seasoned vets are voiced/sung by seasoned vets?

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... redheads, huh?

No----

*looks at Yoko, looks at C Viper, looks at Rei HIno*

.......yes.

It would've been an unnatural resolution, IMO... her sole defining character trait was her anxiety over being a failure.

Was that ever a thing? I remember her bringing up her past career no more than thrice over the course of the series, and I don't remember her ever being bitter over it. A bit wistful, perhaps, and maybe being part of Walkure is a bittersweet "consolation prize," but she's not, like, trying to sabotage things in order to get back her old life or anything.

Between her depression over having failed as a solo idol, her depression over what she saw as the inevitable creeping usurpation of her role as Walkure's leader by Mikumo,

This too I feel like it's more something that we read into the characters in lieu of anything else to do. Again, when she talks about being a "failed idol" (which... I dunno, seems maybe she was something of a one-hit wonder? which doesn't seem all that bad, really?), she doesn't sound overly bitter about it. Her worrying about Mikumo usurping her role reads to me more as her seeing the danger that Mikumo's immaturity brings to the team's cohesion.

I know they play with it in the movie, her rivalry with Mikumo, but even then it's shown that she's clearly the better leader of the two, Mikumo's just got more raw power. Like Leonardo and Raphael, so to speak.

Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a story where this is the/a central conflict.

46 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

No----

*looks at Yoko, looks at C Viper, looks at Rei HIno*

.......yes.

That's the beauty of idol groups... there's usually something for everybody.

Was that ever a thing? I remember her bringing up her past career no more than thrice over the course of the series, and I don't remember her ever being bitter over it. A bit wistful, perhaps, and maybe being part of Walkure is a bittersweet "consolation prize," but she's not, like, trying to sabotage things in order to get back her old life or anything.

IIRC, it's the only thing that's ever brought up about her besides the fact that her home planet is Divide.  

She's never presented as bitter about it, just depressed that she couldn't live up to her dreams of solo stardom.  She was also pretty clear that she accepted a job with Walkure since it was as close as she was ever likely to get to her dream.  I've got a theory that the reason she's so bummed about it is because she was from Divide.  I reckon she thought she'd be the Lynn Minmay of planet Divide and end the civil war there with her songs.

This too I feel like it's more something that we read into the characters in lieu of anything else to do. Again, when she talks about being a "failed idol" (which... I dunno, seems maybe she was something of a one-hit wonder? which doesn't seem all that bad, really?), she doesn't sound overly bitter about it. Her worrying about Mikumo usurping her role reads to me more as her seeing the danger that Mikumo's immaturity brings to the team's cohesion.

The whole bit where she talks about feeling like she's losing her role as Walkure's leader to Mikumo, its star, is delivered in a pretty sad tone... she's clearly got a bit of an inadequacy complex going on.  She's not bitter, she's just depressed by it.

4 minutes ago, Saruta said:

Where wsa it mentioned that she is from Divide [...]

Episode 21, literally the first scene of the episode's lengthy and pointless series of flashbacks around 4:20 in when she's being interviewed by Ernest Johnson.

4 minutes ago, Saruta said:

[...] and that planet has a civil war? I missed that part.

Same scene.  

From what I've read on the subject, Kaname's home planet Divide has been at war with itself for nearly twenty years as of 2067.

I don't recall where I read it, but what I recall seeing about the supposed cause of the civil war is that the Second Unification War never ended there.  Apparently Divide was... divided... about whether it should side it should support in the war, and when the war ended the portion of Divide's population who'd sided with the defeated Latence faction were unwilling to pack it in the way the rest of Latence's supporters did.  Basically it's Space North Ireland.

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

I find it disturbing that you even have such a thing. (Unless you mean her Zentradi traits or something.)

Good researcher has notes on everything. Bonus points that he's also an engineer. We love notes.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From what I've read on the subject, Kaname's home planet Divide has been at war with itself for nearly twenty years as of 2067.

I don't recall where I read it, but what I recall seeing about the supposed cause of the civil war is that the Second Unification War never ended there.  Apparently Divide was... divided... about whether it should side it should support in the war, and when the war ended the portion of Divide's population who'd sided with the defeated Latence faction were unwilling to pack it in the way the rest of Latence's supporters did.  Basically it's Space North Ireland.

Moral of the story: Name your planet "Utopia".

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I find it disturbing that you even have such a thing. (Unless you mean her Zentradi traits or something.)

7 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Good researcher has notes on everything. Bonus points that he's also an engineer. We love notes.

Character biographical notes!  Did you think I was translating all these books and magazines and not writing anything down?  

(Mind you, what @Master Dex said is totally correct too... I'm an engineer, so detailed note-taking is pretty much second nature.  One of the skills they beat into you in any of the hard sciences is to obsessively document EVERYTHING.  As Adam Savage once put it, "The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.")

Years of my notes, collated data, and translations are what's going into the new website I'm working on building.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Moral of the story: Name your planet "Utopia".

... I'll be terribly put out if that planet wasn't colonized by the Macross Savoy.

Just give the Public Exploder a wide berth.

(I want to see if anyone actually gets this...)

I gotta say Walkure music is growing on me as I see what the general Japanese idol scene is like. I really don't know how they found a composer (group?) that could hold up the banner after Kanno but they did, and the concept seems similar to Frontier: take current trends, make them better.

17 hours ago, Saruta said:

I gotta say Walkure music is growing on me as I see what the general Japanese idol scene is like. I really don't know how they found a composer (group?) that could hold up the banner after Kanno but they did, and the concept seems similar to Frontier: take current trends, make them better.

How is Walkure different/better than any other?

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

It really entirely depends on your personal tastes. Like any music there can't be an objective truth even if there is something a majority may agree on. 

Walkure is more modern pop than stuff in Frontier (which was a lot if that too just in last decades style and had high level composing) which some can enjoy. I like it fine, it was good to me. I really liked Frontier music too. My personal tastes lead me to enjoy Fire Bomber more than others but that's indicative of me not some idea that it is overly better in every way.

There hasn't been a Macross series with music I didn't like yet, though I'm not really a fan of Sharon Apple stuff honestly. I know some will think that's weird but again, personal taste.

Maybe what I'm getting at is the question shouldn't be what makes it better or different but for what each person who likes it enjoys it personally. This may be more enlightening to those who aren't on board than a bunch of back and forth trying to claim it is objectively good or not. 

(This can be applied to liking the shows as well, but that doesn't mean I won't lambast Delta for problems that hurt it in my opinion just to be clear. Others can still choose to like it though.) 

On 11/18/2018 at 7:23 PM, Mommar said:

Well the comparison was AKB stuff, as the "quintessential" idol group, largely as seen through the 0048 anime but I've seen some videos of lives too. I am not a musician and so this is a listener's unprofessional opinion. 

Walkure manages to be an unmistakable idol group while, musically not just visually, actually highlighting the individual qualities of members - not subsuming them into an overwhelming "idol machine". Probably because of this, Walkure works convey a more dynamic emotional power. Initially, they had a tendency to highlight just Freyja and Mikumo and the contrast between "Mikumo and the rest" (with the exception of character songs like AXIA or Silent Hacker); they have strongly improved on this in recent works, very notably Walkure wa Uragiranai (as I understand they brought in a new composer team?)

The premises of the respective animes might even highlight the difference. One can imagine, say, Makina dying from her wound and being replaced and Walkure surviving and rising to kick ass again. One can *not* imagine the new member becoming "Makina II".

There is a Freyja/Mikumo sync, quite evident in Episode 22, which appears to be a Fold Receptor coherence (not really a full Ranka/Sheryl thing in canon, though one *could* argue Ranka/Sheryl feeling in Frontier was really the result of them both having fold infection). But even that sync does not "make them one" in the AKB way.

Edited by Saruta
silly mixup on my part

Re the writing issues...

Re-reading "My fair Minmay", in Gubaba's excellent translation.

It seems that "having drafts for good stingy writing with character development, then DROPPING them before final version" is a time-honored Macross tradition. I would really love to know what they had in the drafts for Walkure.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Not quite. I'm pretty sure that it's NOT going to happen 'this' year. ^_^

I'm not convinced it'll be 2019 either... with another *gag* Macross Delta movie coming they won't want to do anything that might distract from the advertising blitz they'll be doing to promote the film.  Anime's a damned difficult industry to turn a profit in at the best of times so they're going to want to make sure the fans are 100% focused on the movie and merch for same to ensure it earns back its budget in a timely manner.

Perhaps if we're very lucky they'll announce a new series is in the works next autumn and give us the usual trailer and teaser edition episode 0.XX after Christmas 2019.  I just hope it's done by different writers.  

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm not convinced it'll be 2019 either... with another *gag* Macross Delta movie coming they won't want to do anything that might distract from the advertising blitz they'll be doing to promote the film.  Anime's a damned difficult industry to turn a profit in at the best of times so they're going to want to make sure the fans are 100% focused on the movie and merch for same to ensure it earns back its budget in a timely manner.

Perhaps if we're very lucky they'll announce a new series is in the works next autumn and give us the usual trailer and teaser edition episode 0.XX after Christmas 2019.  I just hope it's done by different writers.  

100% agreed. Besides, I'm just messing with Bolt since he said that the thread is properly titled now which is not because it's already December for them to even air a 'Deculture' episode. ^_^ 

Btw, love your 'He No He No Mo He Ji' avatar. :good:;) 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Not quite. I'm pretty sure that it's NOT going to happen 'this' year. ^_^

My statement was also in reference to 2019& 2020..or one of these years..

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

100% agreed. Besides, I'm just messing with Bolt since he said that the thread is properly titled now which is not because it's already December for them to even air a 'Deculture' episode. ^_^ 

You stinker;) lol

I figure they put the brakes for a few reasons. One may be that it would have seriously backlogged Bandai &co to produce more variations and hero schemes, I even doubt we would have gotten a compliment deaign this soon. 

Edited by Bolt