New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

I enjoyed M2 more than i did Delta.

I dont know why we cant get a story parallel to the same timeline as delta. Another planet, civil war or something.

Instead of idols we have rocks bands that do their own "song of war" to get pilots amped up during battle.

Opossing rocks bands going at it etc.  I dunno... just anything except more Delta.

PS: we need to get a discord going guys

7 minutes ago, Bolt said:

What are the chances we're gonna see several new mechs outta this?

or will we be going down the variant rabbit hole..?

We're almost certainly headed down the recycled design rabbit hole.

Maybe a new FAST pack, but I wouldn't count on anything else.

Just now, seti88 said:

However how realistic is that, for macross to launch 2 new animations within the same year? 

It's not unheard of... they did it in '94 with Macross Plus and Macross 7.

Just now, seti88 said:

I understand the business rationale for the 2nd delta movie, but am hoping there would be a separate new series announcement too thats not delta.

However how realistic is that, for macross to launch 2 new animations within the same year? 

Doubtful, but this second movie could just be something to appease the fans while they get more time to do pre-prod on a new series

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not unheard of... they did it in '94 with Macross Plus and Macross 7.

Would you agree that maybe, because they are riding the Delta train to the bank, they are holding out on anything else because of the franchise status in the US (that specific date in 2021)? Imagine the amounts of cash they could make putting Macross on Netflix or similar without those ***holes in real estate?

I'm disappointed but not surprised. We've been speculating for weeks now that Walküre's popularity would have made it unlikely for BW to greenlight another iteration of Macross.

Aditionally, all that namedropping of 'Lady M' without any sort of explanation did sort of give away that they were going to further along with this storyline.

This time though my expectations will be low, really low. That way I won't be disappointed.

7 hours ago, Marzan said:

This time though my expectations will be low, really low. That way I won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up until I see some news of actual substance.

IMO, Macross Delta's concept and cast weren't bad... they're just badly presented.  If we get different (read: "better") writers, this movie could be something worth getting interested in.  Bring back Hiroyuki Yoshino to clean up Toshizo Nemoto's mess and you'll really have my attention.

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

What are the chances we're gonna see several new mechs outta this?

or will we be going down the variant rabbit hole..?

Maybe we'll get some heroic Chuck moments to warrant a DX release. New mission packs for the main fighters seem like an obvious low investment upgrade. How about some 31A moments and variations? 

If they explore the past there's that other SV also.

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

Maybe we'll get some heroic Chuck moments to warrant a DX release. New mission packs for the main fighters seem like an obvious low investment upgrade. How about some 31A moments and variations? 

If they explore the past there's that other SV also.

It's the least they could do.

Right?

I imagine the local fans are about gobbling up some Walkure and very excited about this. 

13 hours ago, TehPW said:

How delightfully... vague in information or content. I suppose the concerts are being held to either pay for the new filming or just plain greed?

It's all greed, because fans get no joy out of these, and it's really all a bunch of spoon fed stuff that nobody liked, EVER!

Sorry to say, but do you have any idea how ridiculous and ignorant this sounds? I guess if you dont know the trends or Delta's popularity, it'd go over your head, but you do realize that there's more than one company involved in these productions, and no, it is not all to 0ay for filming. You may want to think a little more before such a fallible comment.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't like what has been coming out, it's because it is not made for you. It's not madd for the West, or most of our demographic. We aren't even considered on what should be considered, and I'm glad. If we left it up to most here, it would be some gritty war drama with no character and soulless. 

Edited by Jasonc

20 minutes ago, Jasonc said:

If we left it up to most here, it would be some gritty war drama with no character and soulless. 

I think some are just asking for better writing chí to be added to the mix and a better balance of action, song and story. Including less hollow character development. Than Delta, specifically.

20 minutes ago, Jasonc said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't like what has been coming out, it's because it is not made for you.

Anyone ( from the west) that's been watching Macross for more than one show is under no illusions about who they cater to. Even if there's a lot of bitching going on. 

Edited by Bolt

28 minutes ago, Jasonc said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't like what has been coming out, it's because it is not made for you. It's not madd for the West, or most of our demographic. We aren't even considered on what should be considered, and I'm glad. If we left it up to most here, it would be some gritty war drama with no character and soulless. 

Right now there's a certain defibrillator on legs waiting at local comic stores all across America for those people.

6 hours ago, Jasonc said:

It's all greed, because fans get no joy out of these, and it's really all a bunch of spoon fed stuff that nobody liked, EVER!

Sorry to say, but do you have any idea how ridiculous and ignorant this sounds? I guess if you dont know the trends or Delta's popularity, it'd go over your head, but you do realize that there's more than one company involved in these productions, and no, it is not all to 0ay for filming. You may want to think a little more before such a fallible comment.

Well to Quote Steve Martin... Why do I feel like suddenly earning some demerits and calling you a retard? I wasn't mad, I was annoyed at some dumbass fan boi on Facebook screetching about a new Valkyrie and how cool things are in Macross. *shrug* Call me what you want, "mate" but I'm am a old fan of Macross. Please be respectful of that fact...

29 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Call me what you want, "mate" but I'm am a old fan of Macross. Please be respectful of that fact...

That works both ways. Fans of Delta are also fans of Macross, so getting mad at them for being excited for something they're into isn't being very respectful either.

Delta movie 2 is going to uncharted territory as it has completely original plot and story. Frontier movie 2 at least has 2nd half of Frontier series as basic frame work with main villain remain the same like Leon and Macross Galaxy conspirator. I wonder if they bring in corrupt NUNS officer from the series in the movie as one of the villain in the movie.

Here my wish list:

-Hayate has New VF(Kinda obvius)
- More love story between Frejya and Hayate as they become couple in movie 1
- More dogfight and space battle
- Draken 3 has new pack like full armored or other pack.
- Macross Elysion crazy ship battle maneuver
- More song
- More development in Aerial Knight and Windermere as movie 1 stop war early.(Love to see Frejya able to return home after war and introduce Hayate to her parents).
- Unlikely to happen but crossover with Macross 7, Frontier and 30.
-Good original plot.
- Lady M identity finally reveal

I wonder you guys Mirage should pilot in movie 2? I prefer her continue pilot Draken 3.

charles883 is online now Report Post  

1 hour ago, charles88 said:

I wonder if they bring in corrupt NUNS officer from the series in the movie as one of the villain in the movie.

What corrupt NUNS officer?  The Macross Delta TV series sort of halfheartedly tried to make Major Valan look evil or at least duplicitous... but the actual story undermines that pretty thoroughly with the repeated reveal that the local NUNS brass are just way better informed about the scope of the threat than Xaos is and kept it close to avoid causing a panic as they worked on countermeasures.  

Even their shadiest move, deploying that dimensional warhead during Windermere's first war with the New UN Government, turned out to be a well-intentioned and strategically sound move which only became a controversial disaster because they didn't realize that the elite pilot selected for the mission had been compromised.

(Incidentally, manually setting your text color to black makes it hard to read when the default board style has a very dark grey as the background color.)

-Hayate has New VF(Kinda obvius)

I'd bet against this one, though a new FAST pack seems to be almost a given.  They haven't finished doing DXs for the TV series designs yet.

(It'd be hard to explain Xaos getting a new VF the way SMS did, since the Brisingr globular cluster's whole schtick is that they're broke and economically underdeveloped.  The whole reason the VF-31 was developed was to stimulate their economy by keeping development local instead of buying an export model 5th Gen VF.  Maybe if Xaos hadn't already been flying Ace Customs...)

- More dogfight and space battle

With who, though?  Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure ended with the Kingdom of the Wind's forces retreating from Ragna and proposing peace talks.

Maybe the New UN Forces are going to come knocking now that they know Xaos and Lady M have broken interstellar law by creating and weaponizing an illegal clone (Mikumo).

- Draken 3 has new pack like full armored or other pack.

Maybe better drones... their ethos is all about the aerial dogfight and close-quarters combat, so I can't see them going in for a heavy Armored Pack.  Maybe something along the lines of the YF-25 Paladin Pack, which focused on a lance for close combat?

- More song

There are few bets safer than that one.

- More development in Aerial Knight and Windermere as movie 1 stop war early.(Love to see Frejya able to return home after war and introduce Hayate to her parents).

Didn't she say in the series and movie that her parents are dead?

(IIRC it's the village mayor of her hometown who was trying to marry her off when she skipped town and the planet on a cargo ship.)

- Unlikely to happen but crossover with Macross 7, Frontier and 30.

The novelizations will scratch that itch for you, that I can guarantee... :) 

-Good original plot.

We'd all like that, yes.

- Lady M identity finally reveal

Seems unlikely, IMO.  She's only really valuable to the story as a one-woman Omniscient Council of Vagueness that dispenses exposition by proxy.  

Macross Delta's creators never determined an identity for her either, and Berger Stone's whole story doesn't fit with other info about her, so it's unlikely she'll be anyone we already know. 

If she does put in an appearance, I'm betting on a "remember the new guy?" like Millard Johnson, Timothy Daldhanton, Naresuan, or Richard Bilra... a new character whose backstory puts them as present for the events of the original series.

I wonder you guys Mirage should pilot in movie 2? I prefer her continue pilot Draken 3.

She'll be back to her VF-31C.

What corrupt NUNS officer?  The Macross Delta TV series sort of halfheartedly tried to make Major Valan look evil or at least duplicitous... but the actual story undermines that pretty thoroughly with the repeated reveal that the local NUNS brass are just way better informed about the scope of the threat than Xaos is and kept it close to avoid causing a panic as they worked on countermeasures.  

Even their shadiest move, deploying that dimensional warhead during Windermere's first war with the New UN Government, turned out to be a well-intentioned and strategically sound move which only became a controversial disaster because they didn't realize that the elite pilot selected for the mission had been compromised.

Yeah right, you only one who thinks he a good guy as he plan to blow up entire planet using Illegal WMD  and cover it up as 'accident' again! Also i heard that he and co conspirator use Dimensional bomb to cover up their illegal operation of stealing Star singer DNA. The movie 1 already highlight what happen if NUNS allow competent commander in charge as they manage to win the war in much shorter time and NO ILLEGAL WMD WERE USE!. Also  Major Valan care less on Ragna and happily retreat after his bomb  only reveal ruin instead of evacuating civilian! Also Hayate father refuse to bomb civilian capital as the half broken ship were below capital full of innocent people.

Edited by charles88

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

Well to Quote Steve Martin... Why do I feel like suddenly earning some demerits and calling you a retard? I wasn't mad, I was annoyed at some dumbass fan boi on Facebook screetching about a new Valkyrie and how cool things are in Macross. *shrug* Call me what you want, "mate" but I'm am a old fan of Macross. Please be respectful of that fact...

I'm an old fan as well. I watched it in '84. 

53 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh, I think I should point out that the romanized spelling of マラン is "Marin".

In any case, unfortunately, I'm going to guess that "corrupt" is indeed how the second movie will portray Lauri Marin or whatever Spacy commander will be present, assuming that is part of the plot. After all, the movie offhandedly depicts the N.U.N.S. as the ones in the wrong for instigating the Windermerian War of Independence and stealing the Star Singer's DNA, even as the TV series utterly failed at making the Windermerians sympathetic villains.

Edited by SMS007

Yeah right, you only one who thinks he a good guy as he plan to blow up entire planet using Illegal WMD  and cover it up as 'accident' again! Also i heard that he and co conspirator use Dimensional bomb to cover up their illegal operation of stealing Star singer DNA.

No, plenty of people who were paying attention think Delta's attempt to paint the NUNS as shady or villainous fell pretty flat.  (We were pretty clearly supposed to think that, but it doesn't fit with what's actually said and shown in the series.)

It's all there if you pay attention to the bits that don't have Walkure in 'em.

Spoiler

When Major Marin has that conference with the brass, one of the details revealed (to the viewer) is that the New UN Forces have known all along about the threat the ruins posed... and know a good deal more than the protagonists do until the very end of the series.  They knew that the ruins were capable of accidentally causing a galactic holocaust by overloading everyone's brains, and it would be hard to characterize their response as inappropriate considering a hostile power with a minimal grasp of overtechnology possessed ancient technology that could accidentally cause a galaxy-wide mass extinction and would enslave all sentient life if it worked correctly.

What happened in Carlyle was an atrocity, true... but that only happened because Wright Immelmann bungled his assignment.  It's a major plot point that Wright's mission was to destroy the Protoculture ruins and Sigur Berrentzs with that dimensional bomb he was carrying to prevent the Kingdom of the Wind from activating and weaponizing them.  Had he done his job properly, a grave threat to all life in the galaxy would have been destroyed with little to no loss of life.  The only thing the NUNS did in that situation that was wrong was to blame Windermere for the accidental bombing of a city.

The mess in Barette City on Ragna wasn't the NUNS's fault either.  They were proceeding with a New UN Government-approved plan to destroy the ruins with a reaction warhead, and the only reason there were civilian casualties was Lady M and Xaos interfered and purposely slowed the evacuation down so civilians were still in the city when the enemy attacked.

Likewise, those who paid attention will note that Major Marin's mission to drop dimensional warheads on Windermere IV near the end of the series was a mission ordered by the New UN Government based on the intelligence that Berger Stone handed over when he defected.  The Windermereans were going ahead with a plan to activate the ruins and enslave every sentient being in the galaxy... which could potentially kill billions, even before you factored in that the Windermereans are xenophobic bigots with a grudge against humanity and that forcing huge numbers of people to commit suicide or murder is something they'd already shown was not beneath them.

1 hour ago, SMS007 said:

Eh, I think I should point out that the romanized spelling of マラン is "Marin".

You're right.  Sorry.  I wrote that last one from memory while I was being bored to tears in a Skype meeting.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The target of the Dimension eater was the Sigur Berrentzs, which was right next to a large population center. At the time there was nothing to suggest that the Windermereans were planning anything hostile, it was all an worst case assumption that NUNS turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy by attacking first. So saying that the only thing they did wrong was blaming Windermere is somewhat silly considering that they attacked without provocation, using an illegal weapon, against a population center that would have killed innocents, after they stole DNA in a secret espionage mission. Regardless of the intent and goal, the methods used by NUNS weren't any better than the Windermerean response.

It also didn't much seem like NUNS was trying to protect the galaxy on Ragna by nuking the ruins when after the weapon goes off and the protoculture ruins appear from fold space, they claim that they have all the data they need and then retreat, as if they knew the weapon wouldn't actually prevent the Winderemereans from taking control and only wanted the data in order to advance their own weapon program.

vlcsnap-2018-09-24-12h48m46s341.png

vlcsnap-2018-09-24-12h48m54s487.png

Stealing the Star Singer's DNA, bombing the Sigur Berrentzs after studying it and the proto culture ruins, creating a clone from said DNA, covering it all up, and then triggering the final piece of Roid's plan to activate the Sigur Berrentzs network in order to gain additional data all seems like an attempt to further NUNS own weapons program at the expense of everything else and not like they were trying to save anyone in the cluster from Windermerean aggression.

Edited by Zx31

22 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

The target of the Dimension eater was the Sigur Berrentzs, which was right next to a large population center.

"Right next to" is a fairly substantial exaggeration... the ruins were a good distance outside town and away from Darwent Castle, and the dimensional warhead deployed was a low-yield tactical model.

At the time there was nothing to suggest that the Windermereans were planning anything hostile, it was all an worst case assumption that NUNS turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy by attacking first.

... what?

When the New UN Forces approved the plan to attack and destroy the Protoculture ruins and Sigur Berrentzs, the Kingdom of the Wind had been at war with the New UN Government for 8 months.  I would call declaring war on the New UN Government and then spending eight months shooting at the New UN Forces reasonably clear evidence of hostile intent.

So saying that the only thing they did wrong was blaming Windermere is somewhat silly considering that they attacked without provocation, using an illegal weapon, against a population center that would have killed innocents, after they stole DNA in a secret espionage mission.

As noted in the preceding paragraph, your contention that it was an unprovoked attack is false... the Kingdom of the Wind had declared war on and attacked the New UN Forces on Windermere IV over 8 months before and had been in a state of open warfare ever since.

As to the illegality of the dimensional weapon.  Treaties prohibit their transportation and use in the normal course of operations, but as we see later in the series the New UN Forces may deploy them under extraordinary circumstances with the appropriate approvals.  (The bit about it being illegal is from something Arad said, before the cast learned the truth about the op.  Arad was a junior officer, so naturally he wouldn't have had any way of knowing the NUNS internal cover story that Wright'd stolen an undocumented warhead was a cover for an approved mission to destroy the ruins.)

Also, as noted in my previous reply, the only reason the dimensional warhead was detonated over a population center was that Wright Immelmann disobeyed orders and deliberately loitered in a city's airspace while carrying a WMD.  His orders were to proceed to an unpopulated location and bomb that.

Whether Wright Immelmann actually stole the Star Singer DNA or simply found it before the locals did while investigating the ruins is unclear.  It would hardly be the first time that anti-government forces made a claim like that to vilify their opposition in Macross.1  Given that we're shown that the ruins/ship can conceal or reveal information selectively, that he simply found the system that DNA was kept in first seems reasonably likely.

It also didn't much seem like NUNS was trying to protect the galaxy on Ragna by nuking the ruins when after the weapon goes off and the protoculture ruins appear from fold space, they claim that they have all the data they need and then retreat, as if they knew the weapon wouldn't actually prevent the Winderemereans from taking control and only wanted the data in order to advance their own weapon program.

The NUNS plan was to detonate the ruins using a reaction warhead to hinder Windermere's plan to establish their fold network.  Collecting as much data as they can before withdrawing in the face of an enemy fleet that outclasses your own is pretty basic strategy.

Also, what weapon program?  The only thing the NUNS is ever depicted having developed because of the study of the ruins is the fold jamming system to protect their ships and troops from the bio-fold waves Heinz was projecting.

1. D.D. Ivanov and Nora Polyansky in Macross Zero claimed that the UN Government stole the variable system behind Variable Fighters from their homeland... Macross Chronicle refuted this claim, indicating the technology was shared