New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross is an auteur creator/designer's personal pet project that brings forward new material mostly on anniversaries or when Kawamori is moved to do so by some inspiration.  Naturally it doesn't have content coming out nearly as frequently, though since Frontier took off like a shot it's been a lot less infrequent.  (I wonder if Kawamori is facing pressure from Big West and its partners on that score, to make Macross run more like Gundam.)

I'd believe it, which is a bit disconcerting as it means the quality of each instance if more happens could go down a lot.. and may have something to do with why Delta suffered.. considering something is following it so quickly too... it makes one worry... but I have to hope.

I also wonder if part of it may be a gear up for the expected end of the HG rights thing in the coming years.. maybe they are aiming to be able to spread a lot out west? That of course is a bit of a long shot in itself and highly speculative of me to imply.

2 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I'd believe it, which is a bit disconcerting as it means the quality of each instance if more happens could go down a lot.. and may have something to do with why Delta suffered.. considering something is following it so quickly too... it makes one worry... but I have to hope.

I also wonder if part of it may be a gear up for the expected end of the HG rights thing in the coming years.. maybe they are aiming to be able to spread a lot out west? That of course is a bit of a long shot in itself and highly speculative of me to imply.

I wouldn't doubt they'd start pushing Macross over in the West if they could. Kawamori has always said he was frustrated with the legal quagmire the franchise faced over here.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, kajnrig said:

Me, I'm downvoting for the spoiler. Haven't seen it yet, was going to see it today, so thanks for that.

Oops sorry about that.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Your tastes, as noted previously, tend to be rather... "specialized" might be a nice way to put it.

Have you seen the new Predator movie? I'm a big Predator fan but that movie comes off as a rushed and disjointed mess.

14 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Yeah, that's one of the things I would dread about Macross becoming as prolific as Gundam... it would probably mean the end of Macross radically reinventing itself with each new incarnation in favor of an overly formulaic series composition like Universal Century Gundam.

14 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Oh, I'm sure they've had their eye on expanding westward for a good while now... but I suspect that their own success might prove to be just as big an obstacle as HG unless they decide to go without licensing out to someone else.  The music rights are expensive!  That was rumored to be one of the things that kept Macross 7 out of the west in the late 90's... that the music rights were made into an all-or-nothing thing that priced the series beyond the reach of any prospective distributor.

11 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I wouldn't doubt they'd start pushing Macross over in the West if they could. Kawamori has always said he was frustrated with the legal quagmire the franchise faced over here.

Undoubtedly... though I imagine he's likely just as frustrated with the various people taking credit for his work instead of crediting him.  Killing two birds with one stone would probably make him happy.

It's a fine line. Some of us prefer Macross stay this rare gem that gets a chance to be something different in each form, but a lot of fans, especially here, would like to see a return to some older styles it seems. Gundam caters to nostalgia quite a bit, but I'd argue that Macross doing that may make some fans happy, but it would cheapen the overall product. Yeah some will never get into the experimental stuff like 7 and Delta (regardless of if they well made or not), but I love that the franchise takes that kind of creative leap. I'm biased though, I can find something to love in every series, even ones with objective flaws like Delta.

So yeah, I really hope it never becomes a bland repeat product like Gundam has.

1 hour ago, Master Dex said:

It's a fine line. Some of us prefer Macross stay this rare gem that gets a chance to be something different in each form, but a lot of fans, especially here, would like to see a return to some older styles it seems. Gundam caters to nostalgia quite a bit, but I'd argue that Macross doing that may make some fans happy, but it would cheapen the overall product. Yeah some will never get into the experimental stuff like 7 and Delta (regardless of if they well made or not), but I love that the franchise takes that kind of creative leap. I'm biased though, I can find something to love in every series, even ones with objective flaws like Delta.

So yeah, I really hope it never becomes a bland repeat product like Gundam has.

That's part of the appeal of this franchise for me, that each new entry goes in a different direction. Recently I started watching Macross II and looking into some of the Big West created stories like Macross 2036 on PC-E and I started wondering if Kawamori and Studio Nue never returned to Macross, what would the franchise look like today? Most of the content Big West was creating seemed awfully derivative of DYRL. Slightly modified VF-1 designs and Zentradi being the primary enemy in each story. Maybe if Big West had their way the franchise would be like Gundam and recycle the same basic plot and enemies over and over.

Honestly were all pretty lucky with what we've gotten out of Macross , so far. 

I woukd think (hope) the powers that be want to continue to distinguish themselves from (read Gundam) over doing it and flooding the market with every angle just to capture every marketable age group and genre. As well as selling A LOT of models..

I love me some Gundam . But hate some too. Don't hate any Macross...

Well, if it ended up like Gundam, we'd probably have just as many good original series (if not more). Plus a boatload of derivative stuff.

Gundam for instance just did Iron Blooded Orphans, which was very different from their usual fare. Also other gundam series like Thunderbolt or 08th MS team.

Gundam may have a lower average quality than Macross, but through sheer quantity there's plenty of good stuff there as well.

4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Also other gundam series like Thunderbolt or 08th MS team.

Great stuff!

Still I very much appreciate the sparsity of Macross because there's more to Love and less to hate.

I recognize your going with the cup would be  half full point of view.

pairently waiting over here across the Pacific for more forthcoming info..

5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, if it ended up like Gundam, we'd probably have just as many good original series (if not more). Plus a boatload of derivative stuff.

Gundam for instance just did Iron Blooded Orphans, which was very different from their usual fare. Also other gundam series like Thunderbolt or 08th MS team.

Gundam may have a lower average quality than Macross, but through sheer quantity there's plenty of good stuff there as well.

Except I don't care about any of them anymore.. I don't keep track and watch them. None of them excite me or catch my attention. The last Gundam that did that was Gundam Wing.. and really that's only because I was young when that aired on Toonami in America and it was cool for me. Sure some of them probably are quite decent but... I'm not going to sit through all of them to find out, especially not these days. I don't have to worry about that with Macross.

No one should have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gems. And yes I know a lot of people already consider certain Macross shows to be bad, but with only 4 actual series and a handful of OVAs and movies.. even if you really believe more than one of them is really bad... that's not that hard to parse. Gundam is like... potentially watching 10 series I won't like to find a good one that isn't just a repeat of an old story. I just have so much better things to do, and better shows to watch.

It's definitely a personal preference.. but if Macross scarcity keeps it from being diluted, I'll be happier for that.

Well, I will admit I don't even bother with Gundam much anymore either.. 

I'm a bit older , never watched Gundam wing or the myriad of others since. 

I stumbled onto Thunderbolt and was pleasantly surprised. But I still don't bother trying to keep up with any of it. 

I'm not Gundam bashing , it's just reality. Macross has held my interest and , though it's had different styles , it's remained consistent for me. I find the common , in universe , thread in them all. 

And I too have found something about them all that I appreciated. 

I generally watch about 5-10 series every season, so it's not much to at least check out each new gundam series.

IBO was pretty good, and a very different take on the usual formula of angsty teens in giant robots fighting everyone.

Thunderbolt was amazing, and I can't wait for the rest to get animated (there's a decently long manga).

Frankly, Frontier was itself quite derivative of SDF Macross, just remixed, modernised, and with some changes to keep it fresh. Frontier was great, and those similarities to SDF Macross were part of what made it great.

9 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

That's part of the appeal of this franchise for me, that each new entry goes in a different direction. Recently I started watching Macross II and looking into some of the Big West created stories like Macross 2036 on PC-E and I started wondering if Kawamori and Studio Nue never returned to Macross, what would the franchise look like today?

"A lot like Gundam" would be the honest answer.

Due, in no small measure, to Macross IIMacross 2036, etc. having drawn on staffers from the various recent Gundam titles.

9 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

Most of the content Big West was creating seemed awfully derivative of DYRL. Slightly modified VF-1 designs and Zentradi being the primary enemy in each story. Maybe if Big West had their way the franchise would be like Gundam and recycle the same basic plot and enemies over and over.

Macross II was a very "safe" sequel, typical of the anime industry in that it took the bare minimum number of risks, pushed no envelopes, and stuck close to a proven formula.

Macross in general is rather atypical in the extent that it reinvents itself and mixes up its formula in each successive installment.

If and when Macross in it's entirety- does make its way to Crunchyroll, Netflix,  Adult Swim, and/ or VRV in 2021/ 2022 it is not going to be life-changing for most people because of the internet and streaming that we have access to currently, and the familiarity most of the younger generation have of Macross from there. 

What will change the game is merchandising. Being able to have US retailers actually sell Macross Valkyries; in any scale (with other related merchandise) without hinderance, is what: in my honest opinion will drive demand. 

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

I'm not sure the western market is going to support $200 plus dollar DX's on an acceptable scale , beyond those of us that already do.

more like Hasbro will try to get the rights and sell CHEAP Mac-crap..

i know there's been some licensing of toys from the show that must not be named, and I have no idea what state any of it is in (nor do I really care) or what any of it woukd entail. But I feel the Walmart economy drives a lot . At least hear in the surreal US..

Edited by Bolt

Honestly, I wouldn't expect much to change outside of maybe getting Macross on one or more of the popular streaming services (Google Play, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

Big West and Bandai have at least proven on a conceptual level that cutting out the middlemen and having the Japanese head office market translations directly to westerners is a viable tactic through the Macross Delta series and Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure movie.  I'd expect to see them keep expanding on that approach, and having a growing selection of direct-from-Japan media presented with an English option.

52 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I'm not sure the western market is going to support $200 plus dollar DX's on an acceptable scale , beyond those of us that already do.

i know there's been some licensing of toys from the show that must not be named, and I have no idea what state any of it is in (nor do I really care) or what any of it woukd entail. But I feel the Walmart economy drives a lot . At least hear in the surreal US..

100% agree with this.  I know we like to a dream about a "Macross Renaissance" in the West if/when HG finally loses it's grip on the license, but the reality is, as least as far as toys and merch go, we won't be getting much better than we already have (choice or price wise).  I think if we were really lucky we might get Macross HMR stuff sold domestically in the US, and therefore (theoretically) have to pay a little less on the shipping side.  Beyond that, we would still be importing stuff.

Why do I think this?  Look at Star Wars.  That franchise is American as... apple pie?  And yet if you want something beyond the $20 black series stuff, what do you have to do?  Import from Japan.

9 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Why do I think this?  Look at Star Wars.  That franchise is American as... apple pie?  And yet if you want something beyond the $20 black series stuff, what do you have to do?  Import from Japan.

Or buy a Lego mellenium Falcon from Denmark..

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

I should have specified online retailers like; BBTS, Toysource, Amazon, and similar. I didn't mean box retailers, and their like.

34 minutes ago, Marzan said:

So does the news of the new Delta film mean there will not be a tv series?  Anyone have any news besides what's out on ANN?

Oh, I hope not.  I'd like to continue to live in hope that we'll get a new Macross story with a competent writing staff behind it.

Macross Delta didn't deserve the first movie, let alone a second.  The Macross Delta TV series had enormous potential that ended up almost completely squandered by the sheer ineptitude of its writers and their bloody-minded insistence on promoting Walkure over telling a coherent story.  The compilation movie Passionate Walkure exacerbated a number of the writing problems that were dragging the series version down (like its inability to focus on telling the actual goddamn story) and only improved the story in the sense that it's less agonizing to watch because there's so much less of it.

I could maybe work up some enthusiasm for it if this new, all-original Macross Delta movie shares no writers in common with the previous film and TV series.  If it's the same lot of idiots, then it's a virtual guarantee the movie will be a barely coherent Walkure commercial with a plot so thin you could see daylight through it.

Delta is great and I'm glad that it's getting another movie. I guess it shows how popular it is that they're continuing to sell out concerts and decided to continue with Delta instead of a new series. (Not that this excludes the possibility of a new series, but we haven't heard about it yet)

Edited by Zx31

3 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

So... where'd this news of a new Delta movie and/or series come from?

The recent Walkure live event, which announced this new movie and two crossover live concerts.

ANN has a brief article about it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-23/macross-franchise-gets-new-delta-film-new-crossover-concerts/.137201

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The recent Walkure live event, which announced this new movie and two crossover live concerts.

ANN has a brief article about it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-23/macross-franchise-gets-new-delta-film-new-crossover-concerts/.137201

How delightfully... vague in information or content. I suppose the concerts are being held to either pay for the new filming or just plain greed?

18 minutes ago, TehPW said:

How delightfully... vague in information or content. I suppose the concerts are being held to either pay for the new filming or just plain greed?

That's just the way new Macross project announcements are... we usually don't get any meaningful information until the second or third event where the project is teased.

That's what I kept pointing out WRT a new series... that the pattern from the last few meant that we wouldn't expect them to even admit they were working on one until late September, reveal the title in October, and we wouldn't actually see anything substantial about it until November or December.

Since a new Delta movie is about the most disappointing announcement they could possibly make, I'm really hoping this topic is not mistitled and there will be a new (non-Delta) series developed in parallel.

Given that Walkure is the real money spinner and Macross Delta itself seems to be mostly a footnote to the group's self-promotion, the concerts are probably to keep the gravy train going.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 minute ago, Laundro said:

If its Walkure going on a galactic tour and we get too see new worlds,races and mecha i dont mind.

Hell,give me a Walkure Earth tour and we get to see how UN Spacey is doing.

It's doing fine.... assuming you're into the idea of actually connecting Mac-II into all this, LOL...