New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

9 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Really by now the Jenius family should have its own emblem or crest that appears on a VF to warn the enemy "Take notice, you are flying against a Jenius... might as well just give up now."

I never thought about it before but you are right, I'm surprised they don't have a cool insignia at this point. Maybe it could be something like half a Zentradi and UN Spacy insignia slapped together (though that is pretty lazy).

3 hours ago, dizman said:

I never thought about it before but you are right, I'm surprised they don't have a cool insignia at this point. Maybe it could be something like half a Zentradi and UN Spacy insignia slapped together (though that is pretty lazy).

I'm sure they could get more creative.. but yeah after all the Jenius family is the closest the UNG/NUNG has to royalty if you think about it.

I have literally been watching each Macross series in order over the last 3 months and I do not get the the arguments about Delta not being "Macross Enough". I understand if the series isn't something you enjoyed, but it feels like the most refined Macross formula they've done yet. I also rather appreciated small character conflicts being addressed and resolved within a single episode instead of being drawn out needlessly. I wouldn't mind if they revisited Delta but I'd be just as interested in seeing them do something new.

8 hours ago, dizman said:

Variable Fighter Master File did give them one... their iconic "Red Skull" and "Blue Skull" paintjobs, with the Love Birds stencil.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Variable Fighter Master File did give them one... their iconic "Red Skull" and "Blue Skull" paintjobs, with the Love Birds stencil.

I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere (of course, never bought a master file book, seeing as I can't read it). I don't suppose you could find a picture.. my attempts to google it weren't very successful.

I know this maybe something the old here don't want, but I hope it's a continuation of Delta. While I'm not expecting that, I hope it's along the same lines. Aside from what I want to see in particular, or what I hope, I'm not going to spend time speculating on that. It's a waste of time IMO, but I do like the idea of it not being super gritty and just about mecha and battles.

Seeing this news at the concert when I was there, was really shocking, but at the same time, knowing that Delta has that sort of following is very promising.

Im also a geezer, and I want to see Delta wrapped up and done right. Its all about good story development, and the series lacked in that department.

One thing occurred to me, although I prefer a  gritty war drama, Zero was kinda dour because of that, so maybe its better to not forget the kiddie fun.

Maybe if they made Macross just for the old guys, it would die with the current fans and go no where: no toys, no figures, no concerts, no HM-R.

Edited by arbit

Aren't we all here at MWF  a bunch of oldies by anime standards anyway :D

My feeling from reading reactions from all the episodes is that a majority of people didn't dislike the concepts and ideas behind Delta per se, it was just how the story developed in it's second half.I'm quite certain that had Delta ended at episode 13,14 as a single cour, the narrative about the show would be quite different.

I think it's very likely considering how well Walkure is doing  and the time gap with the new tc series that we get more Delta. And that's ok.

On 2/5/2017 at 8:06 AM, dizman said:

In my opinion the NUNS sigil is a combined logo of UN Spacy and Vrlitwhai's Zentradi forces. It was curious during the 30th post war anniversary ceremony in Macross Plus they had different symbols  and uniforms.

I wonder what aspect of Macross from previous shows Kawamori would revisit. Macross Frontier revisited the idea that the Protoculture based their designs on nature. Macross Dynamite 7 vol 3 liner notes suggested such with the Nupitiet-Vergnitz with the Galactic Whales. Macross Delta also revisited the premise that Terrans aren't the only species artificially seeded or evolved by Protoculture. Macross 7 had the musician is the messiah that would redeem part. Macross Zero had culture shock in a different way.

I'm personally fine if the 2018 TV series keeps the VF-31 as the hero mecha, as I want to see more of it in action.

Of course an Armored pack and different weapon pods for the VF-31 would be great to see.

I would like to see some new enemy mecha though, not really a fan of the Sv-262.

Perhaps the new series may have Chaos & Windermere teaming up to fight against a new threat?

On 2/7/2017 at 3:44 AM, trojan_gambit said:

Doesn't matter whether this SDF-35 is continuation of Delta or not, as long as there are newly designed Valks in it.

Let Kawamori-San squeezes his brain more & more .. .:lol:

I kind of miss the days of Anime Magic.  I feel like the Valkyries we get nowadays are very AutoCAD. 

17 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm personally fine if the 2018 TV series keeps the VF-31 as the hero mecha, as I want to see more of it in action.

Of course an Armored pack and different weapon pods for the VF-31 would be great to see.

I would like to see some new enemy mecha though, not really a fan of the Sv-262.

Perhaps the new series may have Chaos & Windermere teaming up to fight against a new threat?

Honestly my favorit part about the 31 was that the Kirios looked really good as a more standard ride. 

Paint jobs are enough for ace customs. Super and armor pack's make having diferent rides silly.

4 hours ago, Cowboy17 said:

I kind of miss the days of Anime Magic.  I feel like the Valkyries we get nowadays are very AutoCAD. 

Kawamori always painstakingly designed every VF though, or had a say in all of them at least. None of them were anime magic really. Unless you specifically mean the animation of them... because yes the traditional cell animation of SDFM through 7 certainly had a habit of fudging proportions at times and other things as a result of having to do a lot of movement animation for action scenes. Typically when still, they got more detailed though and corresponded to the designs. The advent of CGI has enabled VFs to always correspond to design regardless of action or still scenes though.

I prefer it now to things constantly shifting in quality though. Macross always tried to be a Real Robot style of anime rather than Super Robot (though sure it did get close to that once or twice) so showcasing them with design accuracy I think is a good thing. YMMV of course.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:44 PM, trojan_gambit said:

Doesn't matter whether this SDF-35 is continuation of Delta or not, as long as there are newly designed Valks in it.

Let Kawamori-San squeezes his brain more & more .. .:lol:

Maybe it will be a VF-35? 

12 hours ago, Cowboy17 said:

I agree. Hand-drawn days had a softer touch. I thought Frontier pulled the CG off great, but I don't know what happened with the Valks in Delta. Were there any valks? I don't know, they passed by so quickly.

Edited by arbit

I am the only one that thinks the design of the VF-31 looked terrible and that the Sv-262 looked good only in fighter and gerwalk? Wasn’t a fan of the whole idol thing but maybe they'll do metal, soul, blues or even rap/hip-hop this time around. Hopefully the next series will focus on a pilot in the military instead of one in a PMC. It would be great to see Itano and Mikimoto be a part of this new tv series as well. Here’s hoping the next entry in the series will make us fall in love with Macross all over again.

Been noticing an uptake in PMCs in anime recently.

As for getting a look from the NUNS side that would be nice, but I can see a rise in PMCs in Macross due to the seemly more independant mindset that colonies tend to get the farther away from the homeworld they get. It all depends on how much of a hold the Earth central goverment has.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:24 PM, Gordon Freeman said:

If it is. The opening better involve SMS bombing the crap of the Wind Stus.

It was still not enough to save what ended up a crap show. Delta only has like one memorable song. While the VFs appeared very little. That doesn't make for a poorly written story and flat characters. Robot battles and big explosions are not the primary reasons Gundam is still going strong in Japan.

Yeesh, harsh much.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:45 PM, Graham said:

Yeah the threat growing within the N.U.N.G, Kawamorii never resolved what was going on with those guys in the government,  that started the Windermerian conflict that resulted in the use of a dimensional weapon. You know when they remote controlled Wright's VF-22S, when he was trying to take it away.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:56 AM, Graham said:

I'm old (47) and I want a continuation of Delta, mainly because I want to see more of the VF-31.

I'd also like to see more of the characters from Delta as they are pretty likable and I feel their story is not really finished yet.

Dear old fart... :)

I don't mind if they actually finish off Delta.  In fact, it you ask me, the reboot of the new series could start with Hayate waking up from his nightmare which encompassed  episode 14 to 26; and they can continue from there.  Personally, I'm not that fond of the VF-31, it basically looked like they just recycled everything from VF-25; in fact, it would not be far off to say that after VF-25 and VF-27. there was really no new variations of fighters, just the same old stuff that looked like either the VF-25 or VF-27 got drunk one night, and had relations with multiple other mechs and managed to sire a bunch of ugly stepchild that got tossed in front of everyone and named the next new thing.

Personally, even though the SV-262 wasn't exactly new, it was a breath of somewhat fresh air given the basic design was marginally different from the VFs in the older series.

8 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Personally, I'm not that fond of the VF-31, it basically looked like they just recycled everything from VF-25; in fact, it would not be far off to say that after VF-25 and VF-27. there was really no new variations of fighters, just the same old stuff that looked like either the VF-25 or VF-27 got drunk one night, and had relations with multiple other mechs and managed to sire a bunch of ugly stepchild that got tossed in front of everyone and named the next new thing.

Gotta disagree with you that the VF-31 looks like recycled everything from the VF-25. Looking at the 1/60 toys on my shelf they are completely different, especially in fighter mode. Actually, the extra long nose of the VF-25 has really started to bug me recently. VF-31 in fighter mode of course looks more similar to the YF-30 (which it is based on) with a dash of VF-19F/S (one of my favorite Valks) thrown in.

Yes, in battroid mode, there are more obvious similarities in appearance between the VF-25 and the VF-31, such as the nose cone position and the wings sticking out from the back, but that's about it really.

I'm actually satisfied with the VF-31. But, IIRC, Kawamori mentioned that the VF-31's design was evolutionary, not revolutionary like the Sv-262. With that in mind, I looked at it as the next step from the YF-24/VF-25/VF-27/YF-29/YF-30-family tree and felt satisfied. It wasn't the greatest design I've ever seen, but it ticks the boxes of what I would expect to come in a revision of what we have seen. With that in mind, if the next show still follows an evolutionary design, then I expect some tweaks to the established design.

Is the YF-30 considered part of the YF-24 lineage? It uses a lot of the same tech, but the transformation scheme is entirely different, and it has that fancy time travel(?) tech as well.

Speaking of the YF-24, isn't it just a supercharged VF-25 in terms of looks and capability? Doesn't seem like they'd be able to do much new and exciting with that.

EDIT:

Whoops, I guess I was thinking of the YF-25. Never mind, don't even remember seeing these YF-24 schematics before.

Edited by kajnrig

3 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

Actually, it's vice versa.

Wait. My memory must be spotty then. Correct me where I'm wrong:

- Earth develops the YF-24.

- It "dumbs down" those plans when handing it off to emigrant fleets to produce their own variants because they want to keep political/military dominance.

- (^ Having something to do with going from UNS to NUNS.)

- Frontier fleet develops YF/VF-25 alongside SMS. SMS tests them out in combat.

- Galaxy fleet develops VF-27.

- SMS (independently?) develops YF-29.

- SMS (also independently?) develops YF-30.

5 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Wait. My memory must be spotty then. Correct me where I'm wrong:

- Earth develops the YF-24.

- It "dumbs down" those plans when handing it off to emigrant fleets to produce their own variants because they want to keep political/military dominance.

- (^ Having something to do with going from UNS to NUNS.)

- Frontier fleet develops YF/VF-25 alongside SMS. SMS tests them out in combat.

- Galaxy fleet develops VF-27.

- SMS (independently?) develops YF-29.

- SMS (also independently?) develops YF-30.

I'm quoting the Macross Mecha Manual article on the YF-24, if Mr. March or Seto Kaiba would like to correct me:

The ISC would become incorporated into the new YF-24 Evolution after field testing proved an ISC-equipped craft could catch and shoot down the unmanned QF-4000 air-intercepting variant. Refinement continued in the VF-25 Messiah ISC/TO21 system to the point where acceleration on the cockpit could be reduced by 27.5G for up to 2 minutes

Once completed, Shinsei Industries provided the design data for the YF-24 Evolution to each emigrant fleet. The Macross Frontier fleet modified the YF-24 Evolution design into the VF-25 Messiah, a craft which improved the ISC and placed emphasis upon deployment in an atmosphere and from carriers.

(bolded for emphasis).

20 minutes ago, Devil 505 said:

I'm quoting the Macross Mecha Manual article on the YF-24, if Mr. March or Seto Kaiba would like to correct me:

(bolded for emphasis).

Yeah, I was just looking at that page too.

(quickie link for others: http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossf/yf-24.htm )

The parts that stick out to me are 

The YF-24 Evolution equipped with the ISC performed remarkably. Three YF-24 Evolution fighters participated in simulated air combat tests in which they defeated 12 VF-19 Excaliburs and VF-22 Sturmvogels and 6 air-to-air specification QF-4000 Ghost fighters. The space mobile fleet then devised a simulated attack designating a large-sized space carrier as the primary target; a single YF-24 Evolution fighter de-folded into the combat zone and achieved a direct hit to the bridge of the space carrier with a simulated reaction warhead. The impressive results of the tests lead to approval for deployment and adoption of the YF-24 Evolution.

The Macross Frontier fleet modified the YF-24 Evolution design into the VF-25 Messiah, a craft which improved the ISC and placed emphasis upon deployment in an atmosphere and from carriers.

...indicating that while the VF-25 improves the ISC, it also scaled back capabilities in order to suit more of a multipurpose role. The 24's test sortie results (the 12 VFs/6 Ghosts) are also indicative. When the Ghosts went super saiyan in Frontier, I don't think Skull Squadron would have been able to keep up.

But I agree, I'm sure others with more in-depth knowledge would be better able to clarify. Either way, it's getting off topic.

Edited by kajnrig

On 2/13/2017 at 9:08 PM, VF-18S Hornet said:

Yeah the threat growing within the N.U.N.G, Kawamorii never resolved what was going on with those guys in the government,  that started the Windermerian conflict that resulted in the use of a dimensional weapon. You know when they remote controlled Wright's VF-22S, when he was trying to take it away.

Well if you consider the time frame that was right around the time the events of Frontier were wrapping up. So I assume ( because it actually would be kinda neat) that they figured out that the Sight Valens was a key to the protoculture version of the Galaxy plan built as a last resort antie Protodelvin weapon. The loggical reation to that being all sorts of nope the rece of emotional children do not get the keys to a galactic doomsday weapon.