Hobbylink Japan's "Playing With Plamo" Competition

kajnrig

I haven't watched the video or looked into the details yet, but here are some links.

http://hlj.com/plamo-2017

EDIT for some breakdown of the competition:

- Competition will last from Jan. 16 to Apr 30, 2017.

- Any kit that was or is on sale on HLJ can be submitted for competition.

- There will be 3 categories of competition: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.

- To enter, you must have a hobbylink.tv account and join one or more competition groups. (However, you may only submit one build. If you have one build in both the Intermediate and Beginner groups, you can only enter either the Beginner or Intermediate build for competition.)

- Beginner = "Some panel-lines, decals, a touch of marker here or there and even hand painting is accepted."

- Intermediate = "Give it a whole new paint scheme or a look all its own. Perhaps some parts swapping with other kits."

- Advanced = "Airbrushed with highlights, a kit completely scratch-built, even a creation all your own that has never been seen before. Show some heavy duty damage or add those little touches that make it lifelike."

- All prizes will be in-store credit. Earlier competitions awarded specific kits, causing many more problems for the HLJ staff.

- Kits can not have been in progress as of the beginning of the competition (Jan. 16). Also, you cannot post any in-progress pictures or updates anywhere else but the above hobbylink.tv groups until AFTER the end date of the competition (Apr 30). (Thanks Darth Mingus)

(Anything else you feel should be mentioned, let me know and I'll update the post.)

Edited by kajnrig

One thing to note: The kit cannot be started as of the start date of the contest (Jan 16th, 2017).  Last time, people were posting kits that were already completed but they were disqualified.

You cannot post your progress anywhere other than the HobbyLink TV site.  Once the contest is over, you are free to post to other sites.

If you are serious about entering, you should watch the video above.  I will be entering as I wanted to start my VF-31J.

...with nothing interesting to see until AFTER the end date... dont forget, it would be a shame to get disqualified on a technicality like that.

On the one hand this would be a good excuse to actually build a few of the kit's I've got sitting around. That said; I work slow (and shitty) and I wouldn't know where to submit the kind of build I'd want to do.

6 hours ago, Big s said:

I thought about doing a k2so kit, but it says it had to be purchased from Hlj. I have a few kits I bought from them, but they are already in the build process. I guess I may need to order something again if I want to enter.

This too, the only new in box kits I have that I know are from HLJ are a couple RG's and a panda'gguy. I really want to build my Nu Ver. Ka but I think I got it off amazon. :( poor thing is never gonna get built.

Edited by anime52k8

The kits does not need to be purchased from HLJ, only available for purchase from HLJ, so that others can buy it if they like your worksince thus is a promotional  exercise for them.  not sure what this means for the bandai star wars kits.

There are already people announcing the kits they are building and showing 1/2 completed models with pained details.  If you are going to cheat, at least make an effort to cheat.

1 hour ago, Darth Mingus said:

The kits does not need to be purchased from HLJ, only available for purchase from HLJ, so that others can buy it if they like your worksince thus is a promotional  exercise for them.  not sure what this means for the bandai star wars kits.

There are already people announcing the kits they are building and showing 1/2 completed models with pained details.  If you are going to cheat, at least make an effort to cheat.

per their rules:

This competition is for customers of HobbyLink Japan (hlj.com) and is for the promotion of the company. Prize winners may be asked to prove the entry was originally purchased from hlj.com. Credit issued as prizes will only be issued to HLJ.com customer accounts.

How are we even supposed to prove we bought the kit from them? You can only view orders on your account going back a year. Will you be disqualified if you can't produce an email confirmation or shipping invoice from 2 years ago?

That's why I was a bit worried about that rule. I guess you may have to order a kit if you don't have the proper proof of purchase from Hlj.

I mentioned in the gundam thread that I may have lucked out with a preorder of the gm ground type coming in stock soon, but now I will have to empty my private wearhouse sooner than I planned.

Do people really not keep their order/shipping emails? I've seen this complaint in multiple places and it puzzles me. It's not like there's storage space issues these days and the emails are tiny anyway. I just chuck all mine in a folder. They often come in handy too because I don't have the best memory and searching the emails to make sure I actually bought the thing I thought I bought saves a lot of time vs digging through the massive kit stash every time.

I keep mine up until the next delivery (so my records go back two orders), but certainly nothing over a year. I don't buy THAT many kits...

Also, I just realized I test-fit the Hasegawa SV-262 for comparison pics (will still get you weights, Skypoet! just been busy :D). I suppose I could try and make that my entry... Beginner category at most, because I tend not to do too much modding to Hasegawa kits and scale aircraft kits in general.

10 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Do people really not keep their order/shipping emails? I've seen this complaint in multiple places and it puzzles me. It's not like there's storage space issues these days and the emails are tiny anyway. I just chuck all mine in a folder. They often come in handy too because I don't have the best memory and searching the emails to make sure I actually bought the thing I thought I bought saves a lot of time vs digging through the massive kit stash every time.

I ended up making an Excel sheet of my kit stash, so I know quite precisely what I have and what I lack. Of course, with several hundreds of kits in my stash...:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Salamander said:

I ended up making an Excel sheet of my kit stash, so I know quite precisely what I have and what I lack. Of course, with several hundreds of kits in my stash...:ph34r:

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who does that.B))