40 minutes ago, Big s said:

Is this a problem which the current models of the switch?

I don’t own one currently and have been thinking about getting a couple since my lady is more interested in Nintendo stuff. Just curious if this is an issue that’s been solved on available models.

my daughter has one and she hasn’t mentioned any issues with hers 

Yes, it is a problem with the current OLED switch. There was no change to the design of the joysticks. It also affects PS5 and Xbox controllers or any joysticks that use potentiometers to measure stick position (which is all of the above). The primary cause is wear-and-tear and production quality. Eventually, those sticks will wear out as they age. Some will wear out faster if they are abused more (button mashing, stuffing it unprotected into your bag, throwing them around when rage quitting, exposure to dirt and dust) or if they were sourced from a lower quality supplier. Even the Steamdeck's sticks will experience it (even if there are no significant number of reports as of writing). That's why Hall Effects sticks are floated as DIY replacements instead of sending it in for replacement. I've had my Joy-cons since 2020 and haven't experienced any drift.  

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Yes, it is a problem with the current OLED switch. There was no change to the design of the joysticks. It also affects PS5 and Xbox controllers or any joysticks that use potentiometers to measure stick position (which is all of the above). The primary cause is wear-and-tear and production quality. Eventually, those sticks will wear out as they age. Some will wear out faster if they are abused more (button mashing, stuffing it unprotected into your bag, throwing them around when rage quitting, exposure to dirt and dust) or if they were sourced from a lower quality supplier. Even the Steamdeck's sticks will experience it (even if there are no significant number of reports as of writing). That's why Hall Effects sticks are floated as DIY replacements instead of sending it in for replacement. I've had my Joy-cons since 2020 and haven't experienced any drift.  

Are the diy options hard to install? I’m really not to familiar at all with the switch, but it’s the portability thing that has me interested in getting one. My job has me working with a lot of dead time.

I had the issue on a controller for ps4 a while back, but it was just one of three that I had. I would just use the other two.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Are the diy options hard to install? I’m really not to familiar at all with the switch, but it’s the portability thing that has me interested in getting one. My job has me working with a lot of dead time.

I had the issue on a controller for ps4 a while back, but it was just one of three that I had. I would just use the other two.

There are several replacement tutorials on YouTube. IIRC they are not too difficult to replace. 

I bought my Switch in 2017 and I have never experienced the Joy-Con drift myself but I’m not a power user. As @azrael said sooner or later you will have this issue since Nintendo can’t or won’t fix the issue.

Don't let this discourage you from buying one though. It is a fantastic system with  a fantastic games library, especially if you play on the go. Probably my favorite console since the SNES. Just buy a Pro Controller if you are planning to play the Switch while it’s connected to a TV.

45 minutes ago, Scyla said:

There are several replacement tutorials on YouTube. IIRC they are not too difficult to replace. 

I bought my Switch in 2017 and I have never experienced the Joy-Con drift myself but I’m not a power user. As @azrael said sooner or later you will have this issue since Nintendo can’t or won’t fix the issue.

Don't let this discourage you from buying one though. It is a fantastic system with  a fantastic games library, especially if you play on the go. Probably my favorite console since the SNES. Just buy a Pro Controller if you are planning to play the Switch while it’s connected to a TV.

Thanks for the tips. You would think if it’s a known problem that it would have been taken care of already 

5 hours ago, Big s said:

Is this a problem which the current models of the switch?

I don’t own one currently and have been thinking about getting a couple since my lady is more interested in Nintendo stuff. Just curious if this is an issue that’s been solved on available models.

my daughter has one and she hasn’t mentioned any issues with hers 

Technically it's a potential problem for the Joycons, the Pro Controller, the Xbox One/Series controllers, and PS4/5 controllers*. They all work by using potentiometers- basically a metal ring that moves with the sticks rubs against pads of an electrically conductive material, and that rubbing can cause it to wear out over time. It's just that those pads are usually on the sides of the sticks, but due how thin the Joycons are they pads are under the sticks, making them extra prone to failure. This is still true for the current model of Switches, including the OLED.

Personally my left Joycon is still good, but my right one went bad. I repaired it once myself, but it's starting to go bad again. Next time I'll probably replace the stick with one of Gulikit's Hall effect ones**.

*Of all the controllers for all the consoles I've owned, the only other time stick drift was an issue for me was a PS5 controller.

**Hall effect sensors use magnets to detect position by changes in the field. No rubbing, so they basically last forever. The sensors are more expensive, which is probably why penny-pinching execs decided not to use them (even though modern controllers are like $70 now). Fun fact, the Dreamcast used Hall effect sensors.

54 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

**Hall effect sensors use magnets to detect position by changes in the field. No rubbing, so they basically last forever. The sensors are more expensive, which is probably why penny-pinching execs decided not to use them (even though modern controllers are like $70 now). Fun fact, the Dreamcast used Hall effect sensors.

I kinda felt the Dreamcast was a bit ahead of its time in some regards 

TotK players, have any of you heard how it performs on emulators? I have no interest in the game - got bored of BotW some hours in after beating one or two of the sacred beast "dungeons" - but I'm always curious about emulator performance, as they almost always manage to seriously crank up the resolution and framerate of Switch games and offer something of a glimpse into what future Nintendo hardware might be capable of.

So, a bunch of hours in and... yeah, TotK is good.  But probably not 10/10 good.

It's good, because it's still very much BotW, which was itself a great game.  Combat is the same, same open world setup, same wander-around-looking-for-shrines to upgrade your health, same collect-crazy-amounts-of-junk to give the Great Fairies to upgrade your armor.  There's still Koroks to be found, and shrines are still numerous mini-dungeons, mostly using a mechanic to solve a puzzle with the occasional combat trial thrown in.  There's still characters to meet and sidequests to keep you busy.

But, after six years, I kind of expected more.  They reused a ton of BotW's assets.  Most of the game is, in fact, in the same Hyrule you explored in BotW.  Sure, there was an upheaval, and now there's floating islands in the sky and a big underground area, but when one character suggested stopping by the dye shop in Hateno Village I was thinking, "yeah, I know where that is."  BotW lived up to the "wild" in its name- you felt like you were going into an unknown, mostly unpopulated frontier.  That unlimited potential just isn't there in TotK.

And, they didn't fix any of my complaints about BotW.  I hated the weapon breaking mechanic then, and I hate it even more now.  At least in BotW if something broke you just grabbed another.  Now you also have to fuse that weapon to some monster part you were probably hoping to save for upgrading your armor for it to do more than tickle an enemy, knowing full well that after killing three or four baddies that weapon (with your monster part) is going to break.  Doing stuff besides walking still requires stamina, which in and of itself I don't mind, but you still can't climb wet surfaces while it's raining (which it seems to do all the time).  Nothing takes you out of a game quite like, "well, I really need to get up this cliff, so I guess I'll just sit here on my phone for 20 minutes real-time while I want for the rain to stop."  Sure, there are new recipes and armor you can use to mitigate this, but that smacks of the developers realizing it was a problem but doing as little as possible to actually correct it.

Finally, and maybe I'm just misremembering BotW, but TotK feels a lot more poorly balanced.  See, the one thing they really changed in TotK is your powers.  Gone are Magnesis, Stasis, Cryonis, and Remote Bombs.  Instead you get Ultra Hand, Rewind, Ascend, and Fuse.  Fuse is used to upgrade your weapons by sticking monster parts to them- that's it.  Ascend and Rewind are useful, but very situational.  Is there a ceiling overhead?  Try Ascend.  Did you see something move?  Use Rewind to move it back.  Ultra Hand is the ability that's getting all the attention.  Like Magnesis, you can use it to pick up and manipulate objects.  Unlike Magnesis, they don't have to be metal, and you can stick objects together.  The game often provides things just for sticking... for instance, you can stick a flamethrower in a balloon, then attach the balloon to a platform to make a lift.  You can attach big wheels and a steering device to a chunk of wall to make a car.  You can stick some logs together to make a raft, then attach a fan to it to make the raft go in a direction you want.  At first it's pretty neat, but after awhile you realize that almost every shrine is solved by figuring out how to "right" way to stick the assortment of junk laying around together.  So, the shrines are much easier than BotW's.  But the actual combat seems harder.  Like I said, you need to fuse monster parts to your weapons to do enough damage to kill them, but you have to do enough damage to kill them to get their parts in the first place.  Before you find the Great Faries you can expect to die in one or two hits, even after getting a few heart containers.  Now that I've upgraded my shirt and pants twice and my hat three times I'm not quite so squishy, but if an enemy mob has more than one Black Bokoblin I'll try to avoid them instead.  I've yet to successfully kill any stronger enemies like a Stone Talus or a Hinox, and the one time I saw a Lynel I yeeted out of there as fast as I could.

So, yeah, like I said.  It's a good game, but also kind of disappointing.  Maybe an 8 or 8.5, not a 10.  Not even as good as its predecessor.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

So, a bunch of hours in and... yeah, TotK is good.  But probably not 10/10 good.

It's good, because it's still very much BotW, which was itself a great game.  Combat is the same, same open world setup, same wander-around-looking-for-shrines to upgrade your health, same collect-crazy-amounts-of-junk to give the Great Fairies to upgrade your armor.  There's still Koroks to be found, and shrines are still numerous mini-dungeons, mostly using a mechanic to solve a puzzle with the occasional combat trial thrown in.  There's still characters to meet and sidequests to keep you busy.

But, after six years, I kind of expected more.  They reused a ton of BotW's assets.  Most of the game is, in fact, in the same Hyrule you explored in BotW.  Sure, there was an upheaval, and now there's floating islands in the sky and a big underground area, but when one character suggested stopping by the dye shop in Hateno Village I was thinking, "yeah, I know where that is."  BotW lived up to the "wild" in its name- you felt like you were going into an unknown, mostly unpopulated frontier.  That unlimited potential just isn't there in TotK.

And, they didn't fix any of my complaints about BotW.  I hated the weapon breaking mechanic then, and I hate it even more now.  At least in BotW if something broke you just grabbed another.  Now you also have to fuse that weapon to some monster part you were probably hoping to save for upgrading your armor for it to do more than tickle an enemy, knowing full well that after killing three or four baddies that weapon (with your monster part) is going to break.  Doing stuff besides walking still requires stamina, which in and of itself I don't mind, but you still can't climb wet surfaces while it's raining (which it seems to do all the time).  Nothing takes you out of a game quite like, "well, I really need to get up this cliff, so I guess I'll just sit here on my phone for 20 minutes real-time while I want for the rain to stop."  Sure, there are new recipes and armor you can use to mitigate this, but that smacks of the developers realizing it was a problem but doing as little as possible to actually correct it.

Finally, and maybe I'm just misremembering BotW, but TotK feels a lot more poorly balanced.  See, the one thing they really changed in TotK is your powers.  Gone are Magnesis, Stasis, Cryonis, and Remote Bombs.  Instead you get Ultra Hand, Rewind, Ascend, and Fuse.  Fuse is used to upgrade your weapons by sticking monster parts to them- that's it.  Ascend and Rewind are useful, but very situational.  Is there a ceiling overhead?  Try Ascend.  Did you see something move?  Use Rewind to move it back.  Ultra Hand is the ability that's getting all the attention.  Like Magnesis, you can use it to pick up and manipulate objects.  Unlike Magnesis, they don't have to be metal, and you can stick objects together.  The game often provides things just for sticking... for instance, you can stick a flamethrower in a balloon, then attach the balloon to a platform to make a lift.  You can attach big wheels and a steering device to a chunk of wall to make a car.  You can stick some logs together to make a raft, then attach a fan to it to make the raft go in a direction you want.  At first it's pretty neat, but after awhile you realize that almost every shrine is solved by figuring out how to "right" way to stick the assortment of junk laying around together.  So, the shrines are much easier than BotW's.  But the actual combat seems harder.  Like I said, you need to fuse monster parts to your weapons to do enough damage to kill them, but you have to do enough damage to kill them to get their parts in the first place.  Before you find the Great Faries you can expect to die in one or two hits, even after getting a few heart containers.  Now that I've upgraded my shirt and pants twice and my hat three times I'm not quite so squishy, but if an enemy mob has more than one Black Bokoblin I'll try to avoid them instead.  I've yet to successfully kill any stronger enemies like a Stone Talus or a Hinox, and the one time I saw a Lynel I yeeted out of there as fast as I could.

So, yeah, like I said.  It's a good game, but also kind of disappointing.  Maybe an 8 or 8.5, not a 10.  Not even as good as its predecessor.

So TotK is the KotoR 2 to KotoR? 

I still need to finish Live a Live, before I can start TotK. That last chapter is really dragging its feet.

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

So TotK is the KotoR 2 to KotoR? 

I still need to finish Live a Live, before I can start TotK. That last chapter is really dragging its feet.

Less buggy and I hope it didn't get it's ending cut, but yeah, I think that's a pretty good comparison.

I bought Live a Live shortly after it came out, but never got around to even starting it. Guess I just wasn't in the mood for a JRPG.

8 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Don't let the Nintendo fans hear you say that. They were getting all up in arms (like they always do, apparently) because someone deigned to give it a *gasp!* 8 out of 10. They got even more up in arms because someone gave it a *DOUBLE GASP!!!* 6 out of 10.

They're unironically arguing against video game emulation, too, now. And all because it may or may not hurt Lord Nintendo's bottom line. It's ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Don't let the Nintendo fans hear you say that. They were getting all up in arms (like they always do, apparently) because someone deigned to give it a *gasp!* 8 out of 10. They got even more up in arms because someone gave it a *DOUBLE GASP!!!* 6 out of 10.

They're unironically arguing against video game emulation, too, now. And all because it may or may not hurt Lord Nintendo's bottom line. It's ridiculous.

As someone who's grown up with Nintendo, has owned just about all of Nintendo's hardware (sorry, Virtual Boy), and to this day thinks Nintendo makes some of the best games, I think they're kind of terrible.  The way they go after anyone who uses their IPs, even Fair Use, is so out-of-touch it's unreal.  And they act like emulating an old NES game is a serious crime, but these are the same bozos that released a Super Mario 3D collection that a) didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2, and b) they promised to stop selling after six months.  Full disclosure, yeah, I've got Yuzu installed on both my desktop PC and my Steam Deck, and yes, I do own copies of all the Switch games I have roms for.  But I also have roms for probably every game released on a home console in North America from around 1985 all the way through the launch of the Saturn, because it's the NES library not the Disney Vault.

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'm a Nintendo fan, 8 out of 10 is about accurate for TotK.  A 6 is someone who's the opposite of a Nintendo fan though.

I do argue against current emulation because it's outright theft.  Past systems that aren't in production anymore go for it.  You csn't keep games around like you can books so an archive has to be engineered.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Live a Live and started TotK. I’m not smitten by it. It seems to be a carbon copy of the first came (same gameplay, same assets, same gameplay, same story beats).

I’m glad I didn’t play BotW before this because I would be super bored if I did.

Mind you, I’m not far in (just arrived in Hyrule and beat a few shrines) so that could change but I’m not loving it so far.

And I don’t care that instead of the previous powers you have new ones since the gameplay end goal is the same (i.e. using powers in shrines to solve the puzzle).

It feels a bit like Nintendo made BotW because open world games a like GTA and Red Dead are super successful and now they made a Minecraft/Terraria/Fortnite clone because those games are super successful.

But they forgot that BoTW was a completely new game while TotK feels like an add on or an extensive ROM hack.

For example I don’t understand, why Zelda has still gone missing (again) and you have to find her. I can understand that Zelda always follows the same story of a boy, a girl and a pig that is sometimes also a man but if there was ever a chance to make something different it would be this game. And that it is apparently not so it is a missed chance and a bummer for me. <_<

I will keep playing because BotW is a great game and maybe Nintendo will surprise me down the line.

6 hours ago, Scyla said:

For example I don’t understand, why Zelda has still gone missing (again) and you have to find her.

That’s pretty much every princess in every video game franchise. They either have bad directional sense or are very prone to capture, because they forget to pay their guards or something 

7 hours ago, Scyla said:

But they forgot that BoTW was a completely new game while TotK feels like an add on or an extensive ROM hack.

This. Don't get me wrong, I love the open-world approach, but part of BotW's mystique was the way you felt like you were journeying into unknown, untamed wilderness with tiny pockets of civilization. You get some of that in the depths, but it's also a lot of been there, done that.

7 hours ago, Scyla said:

For example I don’t understand, why Zelda has still gone missing (again) and you have to find her.

Keep playing. Impa will give you a quest to check out these big glyphs. Doing so will unlock memories that reveal that Zelda's story is much more interesting this time around.

I am enjoying Tears of the Kingdom, but for me, it seems that there is even less direction than what Breathe of the Wild offered to its players.  I enjoyed the heck out of BOTW, and I am about 20 hours into Tears of the Kingdom, but I have done absolutely nothing except gotten 2 heart containers and wandered around the depth for a while, but then wanted to get back to the surface because I was running out of supplies to go spelunking.  I agree that it is more of the same as BOTW, but I enjoyed the game and will enjoy this one, once I get some backstock of items.

I think that this game has the weapons have even less durability then in BOTW.  Which is frustrating to no end.

Twich

15 hours ago, Scyla said:

I don't think they did forget.  It's why you basically can get anything, anywhere, right off the bat.  And quick jump is introduced nearly immediately.  They already know you've trekked across most of it before, why hold you up?  And you're given lots of means of travel immediately as well.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

You're right on the weapons but I'm pretty sure that's because we're both not using fuse enough.

you are most likely correct sir!

Twich

8 hours ago, Big s said:

That’s pretty much every princess in every video game franchise. They either have bad directional sense or are very prone to capture, because they forget to pay their guards or something 

I played enough of the Zelda games to accept that a new entry in the series is basically always the same story.

The problem is that this is the sequel to a game were you already did that. So you could go into a different direction (much like they did with Majora's Mask).

And as @mikeszekely mentioned I probably need playing some more to find out whats really going on this time.

@Mommar yeah, I noticed that they give you a lot what you had to unlock in BotW from the beginning. However not in a good way. For example the way the watchtowers work seems to be better in BotW. I always went to the towers, climbed them and then standing on top, mapping out the next steps with markers (shrines, places of interest, next watchtower). And I felt like an explorer mapping out unknown territories. There don’t seem to be a way to be doing that in TotK yet (mind you, you still have to uncover the map which you already did in the first game).

• 1 month later...

I was gonna buy a switch for myself, but my fiancé got me an early birthday present. She got me the oled version. I’m totally new to it and she got me the Zelda Breath of the Wild game to go with it. I know they have the new one, but I’m fine with that, especially since I wasn’t expecting it. 
The problem is that nobody told me that there was a pack of genesis games and one of the games in there is Target Earth, the American port of Assault Suit Leynos. That was my absolute favorite game back in the genesis days and I can’t stop playing it. It feels exactly how I remember and was surprised that the unlimited continue trick even works. I suck so bad at it now, that I really needed that. The only complaint I have with it is that the controls are so small on the switch compared to the genesis that I keep switching weapons accidentally when I jump. I have the updated version on the PlayStation 4, but the old version really brings back my memories of simpler times.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I live by my third party controller for the switch. If your playing in the TV at all, definitely consider grabbing one.

Which one?  Way too many don't wake the Switch.  I tried a Gulikit one everyone raved about because it has Hall effect joysticks.  And, sure, the sticks were good... but the face buttons were trash that kept sticking.

A part of me wants to grab the new 8bitdo one.  I've bought a couple 8bitdo controllers for other stuff and I dig them a lot, but the price on the new Switch one is the same price as Nintendo's own Switch Pro controller.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I live by my third party controller for the switch. If your playing in the TV at all, definitely consider grabbing one.

4 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Which one?  Way too many don't wake the Switch.  I tried a Gulikit one everyone raved about because it has Hall effect joysticks.  And, sure, the sticks were good... but the face buttons were trash that kept sticking.

A part of me wants to grab the new 8bitdo one.  I've bought a couple 8bitdo controllers for other stuff and I dig them a lot, but the price on the new Switch one is the same price as Nintendo's own Switch Pro controller.

I’m curious as well. I’m super new to this thing. Like an ignorant parent to a kids gadget new. Seriously, that wasn’t an allegory.

by the way, I still haven’t put down Target Earth. There’s a bunch of other games I should try, but I can’t stop getting my butt kicked at this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I've had a Nintendo Switch since launch.  I actually replaced my original one with the revised model that had better battery life before flying to visit my in-laws in Beijing.  When the Switch OLED came out I read the reviews, and the gist seemed to be that the new screen was good and if you didn't have a Switch the OLED was the one to get, but that if you already had a Switch it wasn't worth upgrading.  And for years I didn't.  Then the other day I'm in Target, and they have a demo running on all three Switch models.  I set them all to show Tears of the Kingdom, and dang!  The reviews are (subjectively) wrong.  For one, I didn't appreciate how bad the bezels are on the Switch until I got a Steam Deck.  The Switch OLED has a slightly larger screen than the original Switch, but the console itself is the same size simply because Nintendo shrunk the bezels.  But the difference in the quality of the screens in absurd.  If you think of the OLED as if you're looking at colorful flowers in bright sunlight, the original Switch is like looking at those same flowers at night with fingerprint-covered glasses.

Of course, this only makes a difference if you're playing in handheld mode.  The chipset is the same, so both models will display content identically when hooked up to the same TV.  But with all the activities I have to take my 8yo to I do find myself handheld gaming a bit, so I splurged on the OLED.  I'll let my daughter play with my older Switch.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Well... I've had a Nintendo Switch since launch.  I actually replaced my original one with the revised model that had better battery life before flying to visit my in-laws in Beijing.  When the Switch OLED came out I read the reviews, and the gist seemed to be that the new screen was good and if you didn't have a Switch the OLED was the one to get, but that if you already had a Switch it wasn't worth upgrading.  And for years I didn't.  Then the other day I'm in Target, and they have a demo running on all three Switch models.  I set them all to show Tears of the Kingdom, and dang!  The reviews are (subjectively) wrong.  For one, I didn't appreciate how bad the bezels are on the Switch until I got a Steam Deck.  The Switch OLED has a slightly larger screen than the original Switch, but the console itself is the same size simply because Nintendo shrunk the bezels.  But the difference in the quality of the screens in absurd.  If you think of the OLED as if you're looking at colorful flowers in bright sunlight, the original Switch is like looking at those same flowers at night with fingerprint-covered glasses.

Of course, this only makes a difference if you're playing in handheld mode.  The chipset is the same, so both models will display content identically when hooked up to the same TV.  But with all the activities I have to take my 8yo to I do find myself handheld gaming a bit, so I splurged on the OLED.  I'll let my daughter play with my older Switch.

I was silly and asked for the Switch Lite, because I never saw myself wanting to play the switch in anything other than handheld mode.  I played through Zelda: Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 on the Switch Lite and I absolutely Loved it, then the Switch OLED came out and I asked for it, because of the awesome screen.  I remember the original PS Vita with the OLED screen and how much more awesome it was then the next version without it.

Twich

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The oled version is the one I have and was comparing it to the lite version and there’s definitely a difference. 
oddly, I still haven’t played any newer games because I’m addicted to Target Earth and had to purchase the uncensored version of Assault Suit Valken to go with it. I probably would have gotten a switch sooner if I knew those games were available.