5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Yes.  At least the ones that will be initially available, anyway.  I'm sure Nintendo will add more (there's at least seven more N64 games planned), but probably as sporadically as they've built the NES and SNES libraries.

[...]

That leaves a whopping two games you couldn't already play on the Switch in one format or another.

*Ok, technically it's the arcade version in Capcom Arcade Stadium, but as far as I'm aware the Genesis version was a pretty faithful port hampered only by the technical limitations of the Genesis hardware.

Thanks for the info. :) 

Yeah, the upgrade to the Nintendo Switch Online service definitely does not look like good value for money at the present time.  I had the family plan so my brothers wouldn't have to pay for it themselves, and all in all I think I'll leave it as-is until they put something compelling or interesting into the Genesis and N64 libraries.

Do you know offhand if they're going to continue adding titles to the NES and SNES libraries?  A lot of it's kinda meh, but there are some gems hidden among the dross.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Do you know offhand if they're going to continue adding titles to the NES and SNES libraries?  A lot of it's kinda meh, but there are some gems hidden among the dross.

I'm not sure that there's been an official word, and AFAIK there hasn't been an update to either library since late July.  However, gaming journalist Stephen Totilo reported asked a Nintendo rep about it, and was told that Nintendo is still planning on updating those libraries as part of the regular Nintendo Online tier, no expansion needed.

22 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm not sure that there's been an official word, and AFAIK there hasn't been an update to either library since late July.  However, gaming journalist Stephen Totilo reported asked a Nintendo rep about it, and was told that Nintendo is still planning on updating those libraries as part of the regular Nintendo Online tier, no expansion needed.

:) Thanks again for the info.  

Definitely gonna take the wait-and-see approach about the upgrade, but I'm glad to hear there are likely to be more updates to those libraries.  It's about all that's standing between me and a no-doubt frustrating afternoon trying to make my old NES play nicely with my 4K QLED.

Eh.  If I really want to play on a TV I picked up the NES and SNES Classics, which were very easy to mod and add games to.  I bought the TG16 and Genesis Minis, too; the Genesis Mini can be hacked, but I'm waiting (for nearly two years now) for Project Lunar to hit 1.1 and add folder support before try adding games to the Genesis Mini.  Supposedly the TG16 Mini runs a variant of the software on the Genesis Mini and should be relatively simple to mod, but no one seems to be working on it.

That said, if it weren't for the chip shortage making doing so prohibitively expensive right now, I'd probably just buy or build a mini PC with enough horsepower to run up to Dreamcast/Saturn/Gamecube/Wii/PS2/PS3 and slap a stupidly large mechanical hard drive in it with complete (or nearly complete) US libraries for just about everything pre-PlayStation and curated selections post-PlayStation.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m currently playing Skyward Sword HD on the Switch and I don’t know what it is (maybe I’ve been in a terrible mood lately and didn’t notice) but I can’t get myself to enjoy the game. 
I need to split it up into 60 minute chunks because otherwise I would throw my Switch against the wall.

Worst Zelda game I’ve played by far. Replacing Majoras Mask (I need to play it again since it seems to have fans) at the bottom by a wide margin.

The obnoxious combat, the constant backtracking into small, uninteresting areas, the dozens of unimaginative collecting quests: Urgh.

I’m currently in Sky Keep (of course it is in an already explored area) and I keep wondering of the whole Imprisoned thing will lead to anything other than it is Ganon in disguise.

The dungeons are cool but everything else is an ordeal.

Edited by Scyla

I think Skyward Sword being the worst has been the consensus since it came out on the Wii. I picked up the Switch version, hoping it'd play better without the Wiimote, but I can't bring myself to even start it when there's better games to play. Matter of fact, I just picked up Shin Megami Tensei V. I loved III back in the day (although playing the re-release makes me realize it hasn't aged well), and IV & Apocalypse are done of my very favorite 3DS games, so I'm excited to jump into V... if I can just bring myself to take a break from Forza Horizon 5.

Ech... yeah, Skyward Sword suffered the same way a lot of Wii games did.  The obligation to work the Wii's motion control gimmick into core gameplay created a lot of obstacles for the game design that the designers clearly struggled with.  Having a "support" character even more unnecessary, useless, and obnoxious than Navi DID NOT HELP.  Fi is just... why?  Who thought that it this version of the Masters Sword should come with a digital assistant who talks like a robot was a good idea?

I hated the game with a passion on the Wii.  Even with Wii Motion Plus, the Wiimote never seemed to have anything more than scorn for my frantic controller-waggling and treated my movements as more like polite suggestions than directives.  It made fighting that one boss - the creepy tongue guy whose name I forget - an exercise in controller-chucking frustration.

At least there are better Zelda games on offer for the Switch.  IIRC, A Link to the Past is in the SNES emulator they offer.  I had a blast replaying that on my 3DS a while back.

• 2 months later...

Move aside Wii…the Switch is now Nintendo’s best selling console.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 43.35 million

Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 37.62 million

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 27.40 million

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 25.80 million

Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 23.90 million

Super Mario Odyssey – 23.02 million

Super Mario Party – 17.39 million

Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 14.33 million

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Pokemon Shining Pearl – 13.97 million (New)

Ring Fit Adventure – 13.53 million

Others 

Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 11.04 million

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 8.85 million

Mario Party Superstars – 5.43 million (New)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD – 3.85 million

Metroid Dread – 2.74 million (New)

New Pokemon Snap – 2.36 million

Mario Golf: Super Rush – 2.26 million

Miitopia – 1.63 million

Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – 1.28 million (New)

WarioWare: Get It Together! – 1.24 million

Game Builder Garage – 1.01 million

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

So, I'm looking at my Switch library.  There's a lot of good exclusives, especially Nintendo's first party stuff... but pretty much everything else I've bought since launch is also on PC.  I'm excited for Tears of the Kingdom, and I still hope Nintendo ports Metroid Prime 2 and 3 to Switch (which I can't imagine them not doing after Prime Remaster sold way beyond expectations), but for gaming on the go I've kind of moved on to Steam Deck.  I guess Nintendo's in no hurry if the current hardware is still doing well, but I think I'm ready for a Switch 2... as long as it's backwards compatible.  Which it probably won't be.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I keep running to the door every time it sounds like a delivery truck is here and then moping back to my office empty handed. Really wish this got released on Father's Day weekend instead of Mother's Day though... ugh. 

My kiddos have been bugging me about wanting to preorder it and then play it.

I’m sure I’ll come up with “reasons” to allow me to play it more (“Wow!  You guys care more about the game then doing something nice for YOUR MOM!”) 🤪

I pre-ordered from Amazon, who decided I'm at the end of their route (which is weird, because USPS, FedEx, and UPS are usually here by lunch). Then we had a function at my kid's school (but hey, she won a prize, so 👍). Needless to say I was up until 2:00am after the girls went to bed, and I still basically just started.

Compared to a lot of games I've looked forward to Tears feels like an event. BotW was the only game I bought with my Switch at launch, and for six years has still been my pick for the best game on the system. A true sequel is a nice bookend for the Switch, because it's definitely time for some new hardware.

Silly Link.  Why didn’t he bring a shield?

You still have to remember BOTW’s old techniques, like cooking, dodging to get flurry rushes, and the like.

And either my kid watched some early walkthru’s or he’s just better at this fusing stuff. <_<

Edited by Mog

I just hand my controller to my son when it's time for fusing. I think years of trailmakers and minecraft have better prepared him for that stuff. I think I'm about to transition from playing to watching him play.

54 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I must be too old for video games now.  My reaction time sucks.  

Honestly, I feel it in my hands now. Fighting games were some of my favorites growing up, but I feel like I can do one match and then I’m done. As far as action games, I have to pace myself and prep for boss fights. Lately I haven’t really played many games

I just hate that the thumb pads on the controllers tend to move or spin on their own. . . at the worst possible times.

Absolutely annoying when trying to aim or shoot arrows. 

Just now, Mog said:

I just hate that the thumb pads on the controllers tend to move or spin on their own. . . at the worst possible times.

Absolutely annoying when trying to aim or shoot arrows. 

What?  Move on their own?

Joy-Con drift.  It’s been a known (and annoying) issue with the controllers.

You’re doing absolutely nothing to the controller, and your character either keeps moving or the camera keeps spinning round and round.

It’s an issue more with the controllers than with the games themselves.

Edited by Mog

6 minutes ago, Mog said:

You’re doing absolutely nothing to the controller, and your character either keeps moving or the camera keeps spinning round and round.

Send your controllers in to be fixed.  Nintendo has been doing thst for free for years now.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Send your controllers in to be fixed.  Nintendo has been doing thst for free for years now.

Or mod your joy-con with a Hall Effect sticks. Either option works.

Spoiler

Yay!  Off the training sky isla.....oh you're too weak to open the doors to go play the game!  Oh yeah.  There's this other shrine you can go to to get enough to upgrade your heart containers.  Have fun!  Tah!   

Urgh!  You stupid goatface(nephew calls him that).  Tell me about that shrine at the beginning!!

Screw it.  I'm going to bed.  Deal with saving Zelda later.

1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:
  Hide contents

Yay!  Off the training sky isla.....oh you're too weak to open the doors to go play the game!  Oh yeah.  There's this other shrine you can go to to get enough to upgrade your heart containers.  Have fun!  Tah!   

Urgh!  You stupid goatface(nephew calls him that).  Tell me about that shrine at the beginning!!

Screw it.  I'm going to bed.  Deal with saving Zelda later.

The odd part is, that shrine doesn't have a heart in it. 

6 hours ago, Mog said:

Is this a problem which the current models of the switch?

I don’t own one currently and have been thinking about getting a couple since my lady is more interested in Nintendo stuff. Just curious if this is an issue that’s been solved on available models.

my daughter has one and she hasn’t mentioned any issues with hers