Bruce Lee Birth of the Dragon

peter

I saw this a few days ago, and my reaction now is the same as it was then: It looks kind of crap in general. Yeah, there's the dumb white guy narrator protagonist because of course there is, and there's the dumb white guy narrator protagonist gets funky with hot exotic girl because of course there is, but that's easy pickings, really. What really made me laugh was the action being done by "the martial arts team behind X-Men." Because surely when you think of the fight scenes from X-Men, you think of top-notch martial arts choreography. (Also that limp jump down to floor level at the end made me snicker, though to its credit, it DID remind me of X-Men.)

Otherwise it just reeks of generic "based on a true story" Hollywood filming and storytelling.

No. Just No. The guy doesn't look like Bruce Lee. He doesn't move like Bruce Lee. And he doesn't even try to pretend to talk like Bruce Lee.

Do yourselves a favor and watch Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story instead if you want a fictionalized retelling of Bruce's life.

Edited by areaseven

No. Just No. The guy doesn't look like Bruce Lee. He doesn't move like Bruce Lee. And he doesn't even try to pretend to talk like Bruce Lee.

Do yourselves a favor and watch Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story instead if you want a fictionalized retelling of Bruce's life.

I liked Dragon, though some of it was probably made up, it was still more or less believable. Jason Scott Lee put in a pretty good effort.

I always thought if they did end up doing a decent film about Bruce Lee, it would be in another 5-10 years or so, with entirely photo-realistic CGI. CGI's pretty awesome now, but I figure in another 5-10 years, it will be a lot harder to distinguish between real and CGI.

Random white guy (Steve McKee or something like that) is supposedly based loosely on Steve McQueen.

Edited by peter

Lol another movie where despite a famous name like Bruce Lee Hollywood still needs a white protagonist in there. They can't get Bruce Lee right and of course, the details about the movie and truth are hardly in line with one another.

Stay classy when it comes to genres of culture Hollywood :rolleyes:

Edited by Falcon

I liked Dragon, though some of it was probably made up, it was still more or less believable. Jason Scott Lee put in a pretty good effort.

Almost everything that took place in San Francisco is fictional, as Bruce's hometown was Seattle. His back injury was from an accident, not a fight; and it wasn't as severe as the film depicted it. Also, Bruce's book Tao of Jeet Kune Do was first published after his death, not before his TV career. Furthermore, Kung Fu with David Carradine came out years after Bruce died.

All nitpicks aside, Dragon is still one of the most entertaining martial arts films ever produced in Hollywood.

All nitpicks aside, Dragon is still one of the most entertaining martial arts films ever produced in Hollywood.

Agreed. I still watch that movie from time to time. Jason Scott Lee played the fictionalized Bruce Lee very well...

Lol another movie where despite a famous name like Bruce Lee Hollywood still needs a white protagonist in there. They can't get Bruce Lee right and of course, the details about the movie and truth are hardly in line with one another.

Stay classy when it comes to genres of culture Hollywood :rolleyes:

Now, now........no need for white guilt here, there's been plenty of that going around lately, lol!

I'm Chinese and it doesn't really bother me in this case (Macross live action with Toby McGuire cast as Hikaru would piss me off). The film is trying to emphasize the legend that is Bruce Lee, and I think It's told from Steve McKee/McQueen's point of view to distance the viewer from Bruce Lee himself....but then again, what do I know, lol!

If this topic interests you consider reading the book by Rick Wong, "Showdown in Oakland: The Story Behind the Wong Jack Man - Bruce Lee Fight". IMO Dannie Chan does a great job portrays a younger Bruce from Ip Man 3. I would've preferred him to Philip Ng. I am sure the script is also filled with inaccuracies and probably is not as well researched as Rick's book. I would avoid this movie just for this alone, but in truth, the martial arts choreography will probably be unbearable to watch.

If this topic interests you consider reading the book by Rick Wong, "Showdown in Oakland: The Story Behind the Wong Jack Man - Bruce Lee Fight". IMO Dannie Chan does a great job portrays a younger Bruce from Ip Man 3. I would've preferred him to Philip Ng. I am sure the script is also filled with inaccuracies and probably is not as well researched as Rick's book. I would avoid this movie just for this alone, but in truth, the martial arts choreography will probably be unbearable to watch.

I haven't watched Chinese movies for about 10 years now, don't know any of the stars are anymore. Dannie Chan's face sure does have a striking resemblence, but I think he needs to put on a bit more muscle mass.

Now, now........no need for white guilt here, there's been plenty of that going around lately, lol!

I'm Chinese and it doesn't really bother me in this case (Macross live action with Toby McGuire cast as Hikaru would piss me off). The film is trying to emphasize the legend that is Bruce Lee, and I think It's told from Steve McKee/McQueen's point of view to distance the viewer from Bruce Lee himself....but then again, what do I know, lol!

Please... emphasise the legend by making him sound like a jerk and with so many inaccuracies? :rolleyes: White guilt? Or the harsh reality of an industry that has gone worse thoughout the years?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/hollywood-diversity-report-reveals-damning-entrenched-inequality-20160907-grbb5f.html

Bruce Lee is a big enough name without the need for such cheap ideas especially with such poor writing- Bruce Lee sounds like a prick and half of what we see in this trailer never happened the way it's being shown.

There is no real need for the "protagonist" to be there other than to connect non-existent strings despite it being "based on a true story".

I just watched a bit of the TV series "the Legend of Bruce Lee". The guy does sort of look like Him, but the story and the fighting....no, just no.

I couldn't make it through the first episode and had to turn it off.

Now I remember why I stopped watching Chinese films and TV.

Edited by peter