Kitz Concept Robotech Toy Line

kajnrig

A curious thought here, if Harmony Gold really does lose their license in 2021 to merchandise Macross products, then that seems like it will royally f*ck KitzConcept and Toynami (to a  much lesser degree). BigWest will probably be in no mood to deal with companies that were not operating under their licensing previously and they will have not motivation to do so with their biggest sponsor (Bandai) already having a full catalog it could deliver.

13 minutes ago, jenius said:

A curious thought here, if Harmony Gold really does lose their license in 2021 to merchandise Macross products, then that seems like it will royally f*ck KitzConcept and Toynami (to a  much lesser degree). BigWest will probably be in no mood to deal with companies that were not operating under their licensing previously and they will have not motivation to do so with their biggest sponsor (Bandai) already having a full catalog it could deliver.

Yeah, but how many poseable Macross figures have you seen from Bandai? I can only think of SHF Mikumo and Freya. :unsure:

On 5/21/2019 at 8:47 PM, jenius said:

Sorry, I think there are some folks who honestly don't understand that KC is not Toynami so I'm being a stickler.

OH no, don't worry, I appreciate your reply!

Wow that 1S looks black, but it is dark gold, ha. i would not mild a black one TBH.... if they ever make it.

16 hours ago, jenius said:

This is why I'm surprised that so many companies lately seem to be making deals with them.

I'm not surprised that HG is trying to cash in while they can; I'm surprised that the other companies are willing to invest in products that might have a very short shelf life, and few re-colors, depending on where IP ownership goes.

16 hours ago, jenius said:

Bandai can deliver?? Preorder madness says otherwise. ;) Bandai doesn’t seem interested in meeting product demand for many of their lines. They rarely seem to release second runs either...at least for Macross stuff.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Behind the figure, what version is that being advertised? Is it another exclusive?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

12 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

It seems to be the shipping box for the same figure 

The White display that the figure is partly obscuring?

I reached out to KC about buying one, they told me they are only available through the local wholesaler and I'd have to arrange a purchase through them... but I have no idea how I would do that :/

On 6/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, jenius said:

KitzConcept should be fine. Since Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko Production are joint copyright owners, if HG's rights expires, then KC's existing contract to produce Robotech/Macross toys should remain in force through Tatsunoko. Think of it as when a married couple takes out a mortgage in both of their names. If one spouse dies, then the mortgage stays in force through the surviving spouse.

The only caveat would be if KC's contract contains an explicit provision stating that the contract becomes void if HG's rights epire. But if that were the case, then KC should be fully aware of what may come.

20 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

KitzConcept should be fine. Since Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko Production are joint copyright owners, if HG's rights expires, then KC's existing contract to produce Robotech/Macross toys should remain in force through Tatsunoko. Think of it as when a married couple takes out a mortgage in both of their names. If one spouse dies, then the mortgage stays in force through the surviving spouse.

The only caveat would be if KC's contract contains an explicit provision stating that the contract becomes void if HG's rights epire. But if that were the case, then KC should be fully aware of what may come.

I'm not following your logic here. HG and Tats may be join copyright owners, but if KC only has a contract with HG, then I don't see why Tats would be obligated to allow KC to continue manufacturing products under their trademark. This is more like if only one of the two members of the married couple took out the mortgage.

35 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

HG and Tats may be join copyright owners, but if KC only has a contract with HG, then I don't see why Tats would be obligated to allow KC to continue manufacturing products under their trademark.

Well, KitzConcept uses both Macross and Robotech logos on their packaging...

IMG_2591.jpg

30 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So who will be the first to remove the skull and crossbones and properly customize theirs?

59cd8abbef6830d2f2b4ab634155c33f.jpg

Ooh, that's a brilliant idea.  :good:

5 minutes ago, tekering said:

Ooh, that's a brilliant idea.  :good:

No one tried it on the Yamato 1/48 25th Anniversary....at least not that I know of...this KC version looks even more the part of the Bandit!

71Ww7rgZ1lS._SL1500_.jpg

Oh and who can forget (wants to forget?) the Toynami version....

41i673Ty9TL.jpg

smokey-and-the-bandit-trans-am-gill-bill

10 minutes ago, tekering said:

Well, KitzConcept uses both Macross and Robotech logos on their packaging...

Gotcha. I hadn't paid enough attention to even notice that (honestly, I'm mainly following this thread in the hopes of news that KC is doing some Legioss/Alphas).

So, yeah, if KC already has a deal in place with Tats for the use of Macross, then yes, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry for not having paid attention to that.

4 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I'm not following your logic here. HG and Tats may be join copyright owners, but if KC only has a contract with HG, then I don't see why Tats would be obligated to allow KC to continue manufacturing products under their trademark.

KitzConcept has a contract with both Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko Production. Tatsunoko's contract with Harmony Gold explicitly designates Harmony Gold as "the lawful and authorized representative to exercise merchandising rights related to the underlying series..." As Tatsunoko's authorized representative, Harmony Gold has the authority to legally bind Tatsunoko to contractual obligations involving merchandising. Basically, any merchandising contract signed by Harmony Gold automatically includes Tatsunoko.

Back to KC's Dark Gold VF-1S, I really like that color scheme, especially since it prevents KC from applying their usual gaudy panel lines. :p

2 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Back to KC's Dark Gold VF-1S, I really like that color scheme, especially since it prevents KC from applying their usual gaudy panel lines. :p

I'm half-surprised it doesn't have bright white panel lines.

Was going to say, that looks like a huge step up from the old Yamato 25th edition.  Would look pretty good with Batman logos as well, I think.

On the other hand though, like all quick color-swap repaints, it falls into the same pit the YF-19 Double Nuts/BoP did.. they painted all the vernier thruster exhausts gold. :p This one's still pretty good though, and there's some precedent for gold-colored exhausts, since we've seen several super packs use a gold-ish titanium tint on the nozzles.  I'm just glad they had the sense to stop before painting the chest intakes gold too. :lol: 

Also.. random side note, but the spellcheck on this forum is off its nut.. I can understand flagging things like "valk" and "protoculture," but it doesn't know the word thruster? :blink: 

35 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Rick Hunter figure delayed to July.

Darn, I only checked a few days ago to see if it had been delayed again... :(

Is there any preorder or release date info for Lisa?

54 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

No preorder or release date yet.

Okay, thanks.

Hopefully it's just the lighting, or they have really managed to capture her old sourpuss look... :unsure:

Edited by Tober