Kitz Concept Robotech Toy Line

kajnrig

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

large.20190131_111946.jpg.d2de12fadb6440

I still really like KC's 1/72 VF-1S and look forward to the rest of their 1/72Macross lineup! :good:

Wait. Why Robotech's get to have the 'grill' in the backpack at 1/72 scale. And the Bandai's 1/48 scale Macross doesn't? :unknw:

Guess, 1/72 size is bigger to accommodate the grill design? 72 is 'bigger' than 48, right? :spiteful:

12 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Wait. Why Robotech's get to have the 'grill' in the backpack at 1/72 scale. And the Bandai's 1/48 scale Macross doesn't? :unknw:

Yeah....and nicer tampo (even the ejection seat labels are printed), panel lines, neck covers...oh and wait till you see the red-tipped RMS-1's!  :rolleyes:

Apparently BW must have some stipulation that prohibits red-tipped RMS-1 reaction warheads on any TV VF-1 they license....;)

But, you get two stands that flawlessly work for all three modes though...that's something! :good: 

Well, one is strictly for fighter mode....instead of including missiles, because everyone will pay Bandai extra for missiles these days! :drinks:

See you at the PO madness tonight!!! :friends:

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Guess, 1/72 size is bigger to accommodate the grill design? 72 is 'bigger' than 48, right? :spiteful:

But it's not in the line art.

image.png.71d98cd146e7642d204c398e9b1c4d2b.png

So Bandai really tried to follow the line art closely in that regard, where as all other kits and toys have the grill.

Thank you again to JVMacross for the pics. For anyone else that's stumbling like I was, I was most successful by first putting the gun in the display stand, then taking my toy with both legs down on either side just behind the GERWALK joint so I can have the arms pretty loose, putting the toy in position and pegging the gun in, then bringing the legs up. The gun points down a little bit but it did the trick.

So I missed the train and just found out about this Kits Concept thing. I really don't feel like reading 27 pages, so can anyone give me the TLDR? 

Do we like/want this? 

Edited by Limbo

24 minutes ago, Limbo said:

So I missed the train and just found out about this Kits Concept thing. I really don't feel like reading 27 pages, so can anyone give me the TLDR? 

Do we like/want this? 

If you like to display your valks more so than handling/playing with them...then the KC 1/72 VF-1S should satisfy...it looks really good, the tampo and markings are what you would expect from a top of the line toy....it has it's faults, but they are nothing that will take away from being able to display it and enjoy looking at it....the light-up gimmick is also well-done and not superflouous, like Toynami's glowing head visor on their MP 1/55.  Not sure if KC will address any of it's issues on the next releases, the biggest being the connection points from the intakes to the main body...and to be honest, it only really affects gerwalk mode the most, but it will still hold a decent pose with some "massaging" at the intake connections.  Battroid and fighter modes are pretty solid...with fighter mode feeling the most solid.   Battroid feels a little "wobbly" at the knee joints, but it does not hamper it from standing or posing.  Hopefully, KC will tighten the knees up a bit on future releases.

Edited by jvmacross

Got my text review up (anymoon.com)... haven't had a chance to proofread it yet so let me know if you see some goof-ups! Transformation guide going up tomorrow, still working on the video review for later in the week. 

KitzConcept-172-VF-1S-Fokker-19.jpg

Edited by jenius

Good review. Very fair but laced with hope.

There are just a few issues with this figure that I need to hear are fixed before I will continue the line. That being said, it’s hard to argue that Arcadia’s PF paint job looks completely underwhelming next to it.  

Will you be doing a lineart comparison photo?

Very fair review.  I think the issues it has does not keep it from being a great addition to any Macross collection.

Ironically, the most damning part of the review in my opinion, was not even against this toy, but rather against Arcadia"s so-called "Premium Finish".  The side by side pics were like a smoking gun against Arcadia's PF nonsense.

Same goes for Bandai's DX.  Sure it's "PF", but it should have been "KC" finish.

If anything...the finish on the KC 1/72 VF-1S does set a new bar in what "Premium Finish" should be and what we should be asked to pay for it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

6 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

Will you be doing a lineart comparison photo?

I will probably add a couple fighter mode line art comparisons when the video review is done (birds eye and side profile). I'll wait until Rick gets released to do the battloid comparison I ussually do. The problem with battloid is that most the line art is pretty dynamic in ways that aren't very easy to recreate for most toys.

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Great review, Jenius. And thanks for detailing the toy's actual size. That's something I've found missing from most of your reviews. 

Usually this information has been included in a scale comparison picture like this: 

ET-Legioss-Eta-22.jpg

but I'll start making sure it's also included in the text. When the video review is done I'll be adding pictures similar to the one above to the review as well.

Thanks for giving it a read guys, I'll be following this thread to see if any other issues pop up.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I will probably add a couple fighter mode line art comparisons when the video review is done (birds eye and side profile). I'll wait until Rick gets released to do the battloid comparison I ussually do. The problem with battloid is that most the line art is pretty dynamic in ways that aren't very easy to recreate for most toys.

Usually this information has been included in a scale comparison picture like this: 

ET-Legioss-Eta-22.jpg

but I'll start making sure it's also included in the text. When the video review is done I'll be adding pictures similar to the one above to the review as well.

Thanks for giving it a read guys, I'll be following this thread to see if any other issues pop up.

You realize you're just making me wish that Kitz Concept would tackle the Alpha/Legioss that much more...

i'm surprised by the amount of love the "KC Finish" is getting.  i love that they did a good job of getting the paint and espeically the tinytampos on there and its well applied.  I DO think given the panel line width and depth it looks like the panel line are too big and wide so combined with the panel lining detailing...its "too much"...not by a lot mind you,  Perhaps thats really the molding and not the finish but the panel lining paint work is what makes it stand out too much.... i much prefer the finish of the DX Chogokin and the arcadia is a bit too plain but i guess i prefer too plain to too busy.  the KC finish while impressive looks overwrought in the end.  anyway, i'm glad i have one and its a decent valk for the money.

Not a fan of these, particularly, but it does stand out as it has more detail. Yeah, i think it is a bit too tick on the panel lines, but it does look more finished. If you had to choose between an HM-R and this Kitzconcept, what would it be?

11 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Not a fan of these, particularly, but it does stand out as it has more detail. Yeah, i think it is a bit too tick on the panel lines, but it does look more finished. If you had to choose between an HM-R and this Kitzconcept, what would it be?

HMR feels crisper in the hands, has a better GERWALK mode, has a more complete universe, and a lower MSRP if pre-ordered (the recent VF-1D can be had for about half a KC VF-1)
KC is bigger, has a better paint job, perfect transformation, integrated landing gear, light-up gimmicks, gun strap, and a (garish) display stand.

It really depends on what you value. I also think we need to see KC address a lot of the little fit issues before they start really start stealing market share and then it will be interesting to see who takes the brunt of it... they fall into an interesting gap.

The earliy prototypes and demos for the KC 1/72 VF-1S had much more heavy-handed panel lines and thicker panel lines in general.  I believe they actually delayed the release due to this problem.

I think the final version's finish adds a look of "high-end" to the toy that appeal to me, as someone who does not have the time or skill to do this type of finish myself.  I generally am not a fan of any panel-lining, but this toy has just enough for me to consider moderate. I think standing the KC next to your typical Yamato/Arcadia/Bandai makes them look too plain for me now.

As for what I would choose if I did not have the means or desire to own both...I would go with the HMR.....at least until all the "initial release" quirks are ironed-out from the KC VF-1S.

For me, the draw is for a complete line of "MACROSS" TV VF's, Destroids, and Enemy Mecha.  However, I think the Monster may prove to be too much for this line, as it has been for every other Macross toy line until the HMR.  Time will tell.  For now, I am still all in on the KC 1/72 Macross line....could care less about the Mospeada or Southern Cross, which is also an area of concern if KC strays to far away from the Macross part of Robotech.

Edited by jvmacross

12 minutes ago, jenius said:

It really depends on what you value. I also think we need to see KC address a lot of the little fit issues before they start really start stealing market share and then it will be interesting to see who takes the brunt of it... they fall into an interesting gap.

With Bandai HMR almost being done with the "Macross" portion of the line, I am not sure if this will cause any market share issues....If you haven't been collecting HMR, not sure if you would want to dive in now with the higher prices for the earlier stuff...if prices are a concern that is.  If you just want Macross, I think the KC line is a very good option, especially if they come through with things like the destroids and enemy mechs as they claim to want to release at some point.  And they did also tease that big "TV" SDF-1.  I think they are able to tackle it and produce something good....hopefully they listen to their fans about the color and fact that it was essentially a Hasegawa type hybrid...that we need a 100% TV version.

To be honest, I think the biggest danger to KC is the HG license and wether or not we get "Bandai'd" with a right-sizing of the DX.

Edited by jvmacross

49 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

HMR actually.  In hand it feels better engineered.  everythign feels like it works more as it should....moreintuitively.  as a pure display piece KC might win because of presence though.  KC has some joints to loose and others too tight so that the posing of the figure works...but takes more effort.

2 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i'm surprised by the amount of love the "KC Finish" is getting.  i love that they did a good job of getting the paint and espeically the tinytampos on there and its well applied.  I DO think given the panel line width and depth it looks like the panel line are too big and wide so combined with the panel lining detailing...its "too much"...not by a lot mind you,  Perhaps thats really the molding and not the finish but the panel lining paint work is what makes it stand out too much.... i much prefer the finish of the DX Chogokin and the arcadia is a bit too plain but i guess i prefer too plain to too busy.  the KC finish while impressive looks overwrought in the end.  anyway, i'm glad i have one and its a decent valk for the money.

Yeah, the panel lining isn't too my taste either, but I'm also hoping that a lot of what I'm subjectively objecting to in photos is a result of the camera's forced perspective and that it will look better up close when I have a copy in hand. The limited articulation in gerwalk/guardian is more of a bummer when I think more about the known issues, and I hope some of that shakes out and is improved for subsequent Valkyrie releases.

I'm not sure how many of these I'll get if I do end up liking Roy's 1S, but it is worth having at least the one. 

Here are some comparison shots to my 1/72 Bandai kit in fighter mode. Sorry, can't do comparison in gerwalk or battroid mode because my Bandai kit is locked in fighter mode.

20190204_220440-L.jpg

20190204_220205-L.jpg

20190204_220723-L.jpg

20190204_220821-L.jpg

20190204_221042-L.jpg

20190204_220911-L.jpg

Edited by Vifam7

One thing that really sticks out for me on the Kitz are the feet in fighter mode. They just don’t close like they should. They’re suppose to get slimmer towards the end when fully closed for fighter, but on the Kitz they’re molded to be a little bit broader toward the ends, so they look larger at the ends when closed. 

Definitely Battloid mode was prioritised over Fighter and Guardian. That is probably why it’s displayed in Battloid in the box and the box art. 

You’re buying a robot that can transform into a hybrid machine and a fighter jet. 

Spent the afternoon messing around with the new Kitz VF-1S, and I have a few thoughts:

Pros: The tampo printing is nice, as a matter of fact all of the paintwork is pretty good. The color selection for the plastics looks good and the panel lining looks nice. I also like that the landing gear is white. I like the cockpit and pilot even though I spent a couple minutes looking for Roy in all the packaging and not seeing him (he is in the pilot's seat out of the box). I kind of dig the light up feature. I feel like the engineering is pretty good. Yeah it's cribbed from others, but a lot of it works. I like the PVC hands. The fists look appropriately spherical in an 80's line art sort of way. I like that there is a gun strap included. I know that is a small thing, but it looks pretty nice. Nice elbow design.

Cons: I feel like there were some parts that were over engineered and more complicated than they needed to be. For example, the articulated hands are awful. Hate to think that extra money went into making them considering I will never use them. The proportions are weird. The legs seem too thin and the chest too thick. Likewise, the gun seems a bit chunky, but that might be a function of the light up feature. The chest piece seems to protrude too far leaving a gap. It looks like it should snap back into place somehow, but I can't seem to get it to and I am not going to force it. The transformation to different modes seems okay, but the fact that the side inserts and the neck insert are practically structural elements makes it feel more "parts-formery". Putting the heat shield into the track that it is supposed to be in was a little nerve wracking. No antenna in Gerwalk mode. The color and design of the stand. I know that the color may be a matter of taste, but the huge chunky stand is just awkward and unattractive. Excessive packaging that is very large and poorly utilized. A minor nit to pick, but it annoyed me that there was so much empty space in the box.

Worries: The plastics used for the arm transformation feel pretty flimsy and it was a little nerve wracking transforming and posing mine. That same concern extends to other plastics used throughout. Some of the joints are way to loose and others are way to tight. I alternated between praying something wouldn't snap while posing the arms and constantly readjusting the knees and hips while finding a pose I like. My head lasers are so tight I was afraid to force them any further than I did. These manufacturing tolerances may become an issue as time goes by.

Thoughts on the different modes:

Fighter: I like the nose and cockpit area. Is it 100% accurate, nope but the compromise looks okay. I dont't like that the tail section isn't level.

Gerwalk: The legs look okay, overall it seems pretty top heavy. I know that this mode is a compromise in form, and I can forgive some of its crimes. Like mentioned earlier the intakes are hard to get aligned and locked in properly.

Battroid: I feel like this mode was the focus of the design. Overall it looks pretty good, especially when in a group of other VF-1Ss on a shelf. The chest plate sits funny, but I can live with it. The metal feet keep it grounded pretty well. I will be leaving it in this mode for display.

Overall: I do not feel a need to pick another one of these up in a different paint scheme. I'm glad I have it, but I wouldn't consider it a "toy" I would play with. I like it on the shelf with my others, but I feel like it was a "nice try".  And..... In a world where we will, I assume, get a Bandai DX VF-1S, "nice try" won't be good enough for our $$$s.

• 1 month later...

Hi, new guy here. My KC 1/72 Veritech was purchased from BBTS. It's pretty much perfect in build quality and paint application. As most people stated, the paint work especially the panel lining is very well done. It is master model builder quality, and better than most high end die-cast aircraft collectibles. No exaggeration.

I resorted to using a plastic safe Teflon lube in the shoulder ball joints (first time ever with a toy or collectible) so they can articulate without stressing the joints. I'm not crazy about the not very secure stand or its gaudy green color. But overall I'm extremely happy with my first Veritech. Here's a few pics:

Veritech1.jpg

Veritech2.jpg

Veritech3.jpg

Veritech4.jpg

Veritech5.jpg

Veritech6.jpg

However, my second KC Veritech came with a frozen bicep joint and a poorly molded neck joint, which I returned to BBTS. My replacement arrived today.......with a broken backpack joint. I don't know what to think......because my first one has so far withstood over 20 transformations without a problem, but I also have two duds with QC issues. 

I've attached pics to illustrate:

badmolding.png

badhinge.png

I also have a Bandai HMR VF-1S Fokker special......which suffered a cracked chestplate due to a molding flaw.....it had a bubble in the casting. I've repaired and repainted it, and it has held up the past few years. But if I had to pick between KC or Bandai, I can't choose a clear winner.

BOBBY

Edited by MINIATURE-ART
added pics

Thanks for sharing. Do what you did before, keep taking pictures and send them back till you get a good one. That stuff is unacceptable. 

Yes, I've contacted BBTS for a replacement for the replacement.  I've held off the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 because I don't like the unfinished plastic look, and the fact the scale would not fit in with all my 1/72 plastic and resin fighter models. The KC Veritech's high end finish, sculpting and scale really fits my collecting criteria. But I wonder about the long term durability for the KC Veritech.

BOBBY

Yes, I've contacted BBTS for a replacement for the replacement.  I've held off the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 because I don't like the unfinished plastic look, and the fact the scale would not fit in with all my 1/72 plastic and resin fighter models. The KC Veritech's high end finish, sculpting and scale really fits my collecting criteria. But I wonder about the long term durability for the KC Veritech.

BOBBY

Welcome to MacrossWorld! :drinks:

Great photos on the KC VF-1S. If the photobucket logo watermark bothers you, you can use IMGUR.com.

As for wondering how the long term durability is going to be, seeing that you're getting replacement after replacement, let's hope it will pass YamArcadia's 1/60 Valks. If not, then do keep us posted. ;)