Mission 25: Star Singer  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive ( You must be my Lucky Star 'Cause you shine on me wherever you are )
    • Neutral
    • Negative ( How this show lasted this long is a mystery to me... )

Well no vote untill subs but I was giving the screen the Bird for the last ten minutes.

So, sight unseen, I can take this to mean the best and most succinct summary of the episode is "Don't fail to miss it"?

Honestly, I'm so sick of this show I haven't even watched Episode 24 yet.

Nah, emus have a winning track record in war... Lady M's track record is pretty awful.

(Don't believe me? Look up "Emu war" on Wikipedia...)

Well if Lady M turns out to be ...

Minmay this explains everything. Would anyone really expect Minmay to run a decent military operation? That was always Misa's area.

Minmay can perform a good show and she can run a good restaurant. And somehow the Xaos folks ended up running a good restaurant, too. In a franchise her family originally owned, no less.

Minmay runs on determination, luck, and pluck. Not on strategic competence, and she is also (if we trust SDFM) prone to breakdowns and erratic actions if things get real hard. But she can also "macgyver" things in hard situations, whether or not she got into them because of her own previous actions. Xaos seems to be just her kind of company?

Edited by Saruta

I did it and... holy... that was a real thing! :o

I, for one, welcome our avian overlords.

Well if Lady M turns out to be Minmay this explains everything. Would anyone really expect Minmay to run a decent military operation? That was always Misa's area.

Minmay can perform a good show and she can run a good restaurant. And somehow the Xaos folks ended up running a good restaurant, too. In a franchise her family originally owned, no less.

Minmay runs on determination, luck, and pluck. Not on strategic competence, and she is also (if we trust SDFM) prone to breakdowns and erratic actions if things get real hard. Xaos seems to be just her kind of company?

I honestly doubt we'll get any in-series revelation of Lady M's identity.

We're one episode from the end of Macross Delta (thank goodness), and there are so many dangling plot threads left to resolve in the series that Lady M's identity borders on inconsequential. I'd wager we might get some proper hints toward her identity in the next edition of Macross Chronicle, whenever that comes out, the way we did with Mariafokina Barnrose... but her relevance to the story is kind of minimal besides being the twit who made a few bad judgment calls and bankrolled the circus of suck called Xaos's Ranga branch office.

Every time Macross's creators have tried to introduce a mysteriously well-connected character with origins in the First Space War, they've invented a new character instead of reusing an old one. That's how we ended up with Timothy Daldhanton, Naresuan, etc. An anomalous number of them seem to be former subordinates of Vrlitwhai's.

Will it matter if Lady M is Minmay? Who is the intended audience of Delta anyways? Frontier looked like a Macross series for a new generation of fans. Delta looks like a continuation of that universe. It isn't necessary to have watched any of the previous series from decades ago. Sure the long term fan will be glad to see a Minmay alive but will newer fans care? Will an appearance by Minmay have any meaning for them?

Ok, watched the raw... probably should've just waited for the subs instead.... let me loosely interpret (given that my knowledge of Japanese is essentially zero) the episode from the Windermere point of view, I stripped out a bunch of the blah blahs.

Roid: "Ketchup, you don't have to sing any more, I got a way for us to rule the galaxy without you having to sing Jingle Bells."

Ketchup: "Really? Ok, knights, time to go conquer the galaxy, Roid is the man with the plan."

AK: "WTF, what plan, whatchatalkingabout Ketchup???"

Ketchup: "See, I have these liver spots, I don't wanna die, and I'm the king, and I say we follow Roid's plans."

AK: "Ok, whatever you say, boss, we are mostly one dimensional caricatures anyhow."

Ketchup: "So, Roid, how are we doing this again?"

Roid: "Here is this Mikumo girl."

Ketchup: "Whoa, you mean the head Walkure, isn't she dangerous or something?"

Roid: "No, she just looks old, she is only three years old, star singer, you can manipulate her, besides she's all tied up."

Ketchup."What the???? Oh, I see, all tied up, and I can manipulate her?" *Insert evil kid cackle*

Roid: "Yeah, just use the magic word."

Ketchup: "What magic word?"

Roid: "Ok, don't get this wrong now, you have to repeat this exactly." "Klaatu Barada Nikto"

Ketchup: "Wait, What the??? That's the magic word? I always thought that was just my old man going senile."

Roid: "Really, try it, and she'll melt like putty in your hands."

Ketchup: "Klaatu Barada Nikto" "DEATH TO NUNS" "Roid, what is she singing?"

Roid: "Oh yeah, this song? It's called Silent Night."

Ketchup: "I didn't know there was a song other than Jingle Bells."

Roid thinks to himself: But the problem is, with Klaatu Barada Nikto, Silent Night is all Mikumo knows any more, listen to that 5 bajillion times, it'll be worse than Jingle Bells.

On, let's not forget the perspective from the one competent guy in NUNS that they manage to make incompetent.

We're off to Winderemere...

We're going to blow them up....

With lots of MDE....

We are NUNS...

(try signing that with the theme of Space Cruiser Yamato in your head, it works, at least it seems to with the Star Blazers version of the song in English)

Oh my God, is that Silent Night... Must turn the key to MDE, and self destruct... ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

and I really don't feel like interpreting Berger or CHAOS, too chaotic.

Will it matter if Lady M is Minmay? Who is the intended audience of Delta anyways? Frontier looked like a Macross series for a new generation of fans. Delta looks like a continuation of that universe. It isn't necessary to have watched any of the previous series from decades ago. Sure the long term fan will be glad to see a Minmay alive but will newer fans care? Will an appearance by Minmay have any meaning for them?

That just means we can listen to the umptennth rendition of ai oboete imasu ka. And if you don't like that... we can do Watash no Kare wa Pilot.

Edited by kalvasflam

When the Scooby gang is listening to the tape of the VF-22's Flight recorder, were MD's story writers trying to make a comparison to what the Bombers that dropped Little & Big Boy on Japan in 1945? I get that vib...

It's something for older fans but honestly, it doesn't matter. Revealing it doesn't fix the narrative mess that the 2nd half became. In fact, it doesn't even help the overall story because it was our main characters doing all the work to tell the story, which is what it should be. If they need this character to be revealed, I would see that actually hurting the series even more. As stated above, revealing at this point, when there's only 1 episode left, is inconsequential to the story.

wow. the writing and pacing is horrible. How are they going to wrap this up in 20mins. Haha. I just dont see how you can hope to cover everything unless you add another season.. and hopefully that doesn't happen cause if its more of this blablablabla it will be just as awful.

So that Private merchant guy always appears to dump lots of info for the main group and the viewer for like the 5th time......twice in this episode? that is so crappy.

Edited by ayaxr

let's guess how the "final" episode will be. freyja and the rest of walkure sneak to rescue mikumo on the relic, heinz and roid in sigur valens command center. macross elysion firing its cannon again to the command center, first attempt failed but the second (or third ) success. heinz and roid killed. keith infurious by that try to attack elysion bridge, hayate dog fighting him and somehow this time managed to kill keith ala messer death. bogue try to attack too but failed and killed by chuck in battroid battle (chuck using scissor). hermann dueling arad when he try to burn his runes like cassim, walkure start singing. that sing "cure" hermann ecsema and he stood in the sky. when arad want to shoot him, hermann surrender and give command to the rest of the knight to surrender too cause the war is over.

after realize that walkure song on the relic can prolonged winderemerean life (at least cure the ecsema) the people of winderemere worship mikumo as goddess. aerial knight reformed to protect mikumo. the rest of walkure are stationed at windermere and delta platoon also stationed there. elysion back to ragna for repairment. if there's something urgent they will open fold gate straight from ragna to windermere.

the end

just my imagination :p

Edited by eko.prasetiyo

So if Wright had obeyed orders and nuked the galactic mind eraser then things would have been ok. And we're painting NUN's as the bad guy for being willing to kill the Windermeran capital to stop them from mind rapeing the galaxy.

The finger came out much earlier with subs by the way.

Edited by Ghostbear0

Honestly, if any MacrossWorlder's get to attend a Q&A session with Kawamori, don't go easy on him. In fact rip him a new one!

How could he allow Delta to spiral so far out of control after episode 13, into the talking-head, no mecha action crapfest it's become in the second half of the season?

Seriously, he may be the creator and all that, but with the mess that Delta has become post episode 13, he's lost all good will and credibility that he'd previously built up.

As others have speculated, I'm guessing he was attracted by the quick and easy dollars from Mainland China for his next project and left Delta in the hands of people who have no clue.

Watched it with subs and gave it a negative vote.

Was going to give a neutral. The talking heads just providing information was boring as hell. At least it was valuable stuff that we needed to know. If only they...I don't know showed us this information instead of telling us over the course of several episodes. That would have been a better way of doing things. Instead they give it to us all at once. I was still planning to give it a neutral and then the animation quality change midway through the episode. That's was enough to tilt my vote to a negative.

A few spoiler things

Sure sounds like they are learning to making Lady M/Minmay. Funding a high tech private military company, studying the Protoculture and playing god cloning life from DNA fragments. Just seems out of character for her.

If the Protoculture had the Star Singer why did they need the Zentradi?

Once they say the magic word Mikumo becomes their willing slave. When free of those words she goes long because she's their prisoner and prisoners don't have much of a choice or do they? She knows they are going to use her to harm others to control the galaxy. Why doesn't she jump off the nearest ledge when she gets the first chance?

Seriously, he may be the creator and all that, but with the mess that Delta has become post episode 13, he's lost all good will and credibility that he'd previously built up.

As others have speculated, I'm guessing he was attracted by the quick and easy dollars from Mainland China for his next project and left Delta in the hands of people who have no clue.

Kawamori has lost it if he approved this mess!!! But it's far worse if he left Delta without any kind of supervision.

Can't believe a man of his caliber does not know how to lead, manage or supervise his staff.

Doesn't the man know how to tell a story? The narrative of this show is an atrocity. The sequence of events, the order in which the narrative occurs is a complete mess.

Sorry about my rant but I'm dissapointed with this show, can't believe there's only 20 minutes left.

Can't believe a man of his caliber does not know how to lead, manage or supervise his staff.

Graham isn't saying Kawamori doesn't know how to supervise a staff. He's saying he jumped ship when his next project was announced and all the Delta staff was left to their own devices.

Sorry about my rant but I'm dissapointed with this show, can't believe there's only 20 minutes left.

And I will say this again. This show WILL end next week (we'll get to a movie when that happens). How they present that ending to us will be the big question. Will it be a crammed mecha-love fest or will it be just a mess. Looking back on the other TV series, 7 and Frontier both had 2-parter series finales. SDFM had a building-toward-a-finale ending (as in there wasn't much more left to do between episode 35 and 36). The info dumping episode, AGAIN, right before the finale, ruins the pacing as we are approaching our ending.

It was a cheapshot from the producers to introduce those piano versions of Oboeteimasuka. Using nostalgia to make me feel good about the episode...how dare they! :p

We all knew that Hayate's dad was the one that gave her the player so no surprises there. But Berger coming out and saying that there's a link between Lady M and Megaroad is a huge surprise since it's a bit of an aboutf ace from Kawamori on letting sleeping dogs lie. It's either Minmay or Misa then with one of the bunnies as a wild card.

I fear that the series will tank saleswise once those second cour BD's become available. Only Macross otaku and some Walkure fans will be gobbling up that stuff

I don't think this was manipulation. I think it was foreshadowing to a "Jump the Shark" moment in Macross. We'll see next week...

Well I suspect we Macross Otaku will also be buying up that merch because we have no self control... :rolleyes: Perhaps this is Kawamori's swan song for his involvement in writing the Macross franchise. Keep in mind Rodeenberry wrote several films outside the Trek universe and with Chinese interest in Kawmori's story ideas, I expect he may end up leaving the franchise as it's Chief Director and story scribe. Let the debate rage as to how good or bad this would be.

Edited by Zinjo

I have a ominous suspicion our Lady M is actually Minmay herself and that she'll make an appearance in the end. She will join Walkurie to defeat the Star Singer's song and bring peace to the galaxy. Yes this is Swiss Cheese, but I suspect this will be the finale. Mari Ijima will reprise her role as Minmay and we'll still not know what happened to the Megaroad 1 at the end of this show (not that I really want to know anymore)... As already stated, it will feed the subsequent Walkurie concert tour which will now include Mari Ijima. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

Just watched the subs.

All I can say is there better be an episode 27. I remember Mac F; where they were very good about spreading out the finale into two episodes and making it have impact. The ending already feels rushed at this point, and we are still almost a week out. Heck, the ending felt rushed probably since episode 20.

Is it just me or have the commanding officers of NUNS all turned stupid?

They want to deliver MDEs, or reaction weapons, (whichever). There is a perfectly valid way to do it. It's called a frigging Ghost. Outfit a few squadrons with the Sharon Apple style AI. Send them with a few remote carrier that can fold in as close to Winderemere as possible, or whatever target these NUNS guys want to go after, and then let the AIs loose. Let's just see how effective Ketchup boy's or Mikumo's song is against something that just doesn't have ears. In fact, there is no reason that the Ghosts cannot be deployed with fold boosters.... just send them in that way, and grab some popcorn.

When you have seen the effects of the song, and the effectiveness of the AKs against mooks, why are you even bothering to send in more mooks.

Finally, thanks to the Vajra, Richard Bilra is getting his wish.

I have a ominous suspicion our Lady M is actually Minmay herself and that she'll make an appearance in the end. She will join Walkurie to defeat the Star Singer's song and bring peace to the galaxy. Yes this is Swiss Cheese, but I suspect this will be the finale. Mari Ijima will reprise her role as Minmay and we'll still not know what happened to the Megaroad 1 at the end of this show (not that I really want to know anymore)... As already stated, it will feed the subsequent Walkurie concert tour which will now include Mari Ijima. :rolleyes:

Oh man, I hope not. If they do that, they may as well bring back Max and Milia while they are at it. I figure it would take one of them about 10 seconds to put down the AKs. Eight seconds of which would be accounting for the slowing reflexes due to age and them using VF-1s. At least that way, we could get some mecha action.

Edited by kalvasflam

Graham isn't saying Kawamori doesn't know how to supervise a staff. He's saying he jumped ship when his next project was announced and all the Delta staff was left to their own devices.

And I will say this again. This show WILL end next week (we'll get to a movie when that happens). How they present that ending to us will be the big question. Will it be a crammed mecha-love fest or will it be just a mess. Looking back on the other TV series, 7 and Frontier both had 2-parter series finales. SDFM had a building-toward-a-finale ending (as in there wasn't much more left to do between episode 35 and 36). The info dumping episode, AGAIN, right before the finale, ruins the pacing as we are approaching our ending.

Frontier did not have movie finales. The two movies were a re-imagining of the events told in the series with a different ending so I wouldn't say they can be tied to the series' universe in any way. However I would say that if they do this for Delta the story will have to be very very different to reach an acceptable level of storytelling and pace.

Sad thing is that Frontier was enjoyable as a series for the most part (at least for me), and so the movies didn't feel like they existed to fix a wrong to me. Just felt like additional frontier content in an alternate universe. So ultimately I found both mediums to be enjoyable. That wont be the case with Delta.

Edited by ayaxr

After reading the last 4 episodes thread, I decided to let the Delta finish first before watching the 5 episodes. All this time, I was hoping to see or read somewhere that Mirage will turn out somehow or 'awaken' how 'Jenius' she really is. But I guess, it's not gonna happen, right? And I don't think that's going to happen anymore since most of you said there were no Valkyrie Actions.

Also, I know that I'm going to be so happy if Lady M turns out to be Misa or Minmay for nostalgia effect, but seeing everyone's post here about how bad the storyline and plot turned out to be, I really wish now that they should create a new character rather that use an old ones. I don't want them to use old characters just to fix this Delta mess.

Anyways, I'm just going to wait for the subbed Finale next week and watch the last 5 episodes.

After reading the last 4 episodes thread, I decided to let the Delta finish first before watching the 5 episodes. All this time, I was hoping to see or read somewhere that Mirage will turn out somehow or 'awaken' how 'Jenius' she really is. But I guess, it's not gonna happen, right? And I don't think that's going to happen anymore since most of you said there were no Valkyrie Actions.

Also, I know that I'm going to be so happy if Lady M turns out to be Misa or Minmay for nostalgia effect, but seeing everyone's post here about how bad the storyline and plot turned out to be, I really wish now that they should create a new character rather that use an old ones. I don't want them to use old characters just to fix this Delta mess.

Anyways, I'm just going to wait for the subbed Finale next week and watch the last 5 episodes.

Your user icon makes me happy. :D:wub:

Edited by MisaForever

I know, but I can't believe he "abandoned" the ship and left it unsupervised. The staff is steering the ship right into the cliffs!!

If he is giving this project his blessing then something is wrong, and if he is not monitoring it that is equally wrong.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I'm an ardent Macross fan and I have slogged through this show. It feels to me that the writing staff was changed mid show, or something. The lack of coherency in this plot, and honestly the lack of what makes it "Macross" has been pretty apparent. I just don't get the vibe I got from Frontier with this show. Ah well. Two more to go till its over.

I know, but I can't believe he "abandoned" the ship and left it unsupervised. The staff is steering the ship right into the cliffs!!

Well there are now conflicting reports about Delta not having been originally planned for two cour (full 26 episodes).. It serves to give an explanation of why it all went downhill but had this been confirmed as true or false? Some are now saying it was always meant to be 26 episodes.

With that said, even if he "jumped ship" he had to have at least seen the script and given a green light on it or something? The thing here is just how much of a creative command he has on the series? Is it full unadulterated "its my way or the highway" or is it at a consultant level. Either way doesn't bode well for his title as Mr. Macross guy. This is a big crap stain that will forever stay on his shirt.

Edited by ayaxr

meh!

one-cour, two-cour, schmour!

it ain't a valid excuse at all. try not to use it as some sort of an explanation of the fail.

iirc, SDF-TV had a more precarious series-survivability (13 to 26 to 48 to 36 or whatever), yet it kept the series moar interesting and moar epic despite and in spite of the tv-stations and producers' capricious episode-counts whims.

Just watched the subs.

All I can say is there better be an episode 27. I remember Mac F; where they were very good about spreading out the finale into two episodes and making it have impact. The ending already feels rushed at this point, and we are still almost a week out. Heck, the ending felt rushed probably since episode 20.

Is it just me or have the commanding officers of NUNS all turned stupid?

They want to deliver MDEs, or reaction weapons, (whichever). There is a perfectly valid way to do it. It's called a frigging Ghost. Outfit a few squadrons with the Sharon Apple style AI. Send them with a few remote carrier that can fold in as close to Winderemere as possible, or whatever target these NUNS guys want to go after, and then let the AIs loose. Let's just see how effective Ketchup boy's or Mikumo's song is against something that just doesn't have ears. In fact, there is no reason that the Ghosts cannot be deployed with fold boosters.... just send them in that way, and grab some popcorn.

When you have seen the effects of the song, and the effectiveness of the AKs against mooks, why are you even bothering to send in more mooks.

Finally, thanks to the Vajra, Richard Bilra is getting his wish.

Oh man, I hope not. If they do that, they may as well bring back Max and Milia while they are at it. I figure it would take one of them about 10 seconds to put down the AKs. Eight seconds of which would be accounting for the slowing reflexes due to age and them using VF-1s. At least that way, we could get some mecha action.

Did I not mention Swiss cheese? It is entirely possible both could happen a this point or perhaps Ozma shows up with his team in the Quarter!