Mission 22: Extreme Brave  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (EXTREME!!!!!)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (More like EXTREME.....boredom)

Just realized. Mikumo acts and sounds and looks very adult but is actually 3. JUNNA sounds very adult but is actually 15. Deliberate?

And FWIW I don't agree with the "Mikumo is a bad copy of Sheryl" idea. Mikumo appears to be the ancient trope, "I am a robot, am I human? do I have a right to my emotions, to be ME, or am I just a tool for a function?", explored countless times within science fiction, including my official lifetime favourite anime, HINOTORI 2772 (Osamu Tezuka, 1980). And much other anime of course.

"I sing... is this just what I am programmed to do?" and so on.

Old theme, but I do like it. They are keeping very superficial for now, though. Mikumo is likely to become fanfic fodder for lovers of this trope, unless they get better at expanding it (not likely).

Edited by Saruta

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been searching this movie for almost 30 years, knowing only its general plot right from memory lane and nothing else.

And I search 30 years for the Manga adaption of it and finally found it several years ago when it was reprinted in 2007.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/火の鳥2772-MF文庫-9-11-手塚-治虫/dp/484012065X

Here is a detailed write up of the book with some images:

http://www.2772.otaku.ru/comments/e_comic.htm

And I've tried to scratch-build a figure of this redesigned Olga (unrelated artwork to the manga adaption) over 10 years ago, but this was my first attempt at sculpting a full figure so I lacked the skills and understanding of materials at the time. But one day, I swear, it will be done!

post-425-0-02924100-1472924905_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-82150900-1472924933_thumb.jpg

Maybe as they're passing out they accidentally cut the throttle? Because I dont think the engines went dead after Messer did.

Maybe. But didn't the same happen with Hayate the first time he lost control?

Same reason lightsabers turn off when the wielder dies. "Drama".

Haha true. I was thinking it would make some sense with a BDI based interface. But I don't think the SV-262s have that do they?

That does bother me, because the modern Valkyries are supposed to have an advanced support AI, so you would think that would bring the craft down safely.

Also (somewhat unrelated), since the footage they reviewed of Hayate going bananas had the lightshow effect on his fighter, does that mean that is actually happening, and not just special effects for the viewer's benefit?

Edited by Product9

I think that it is just the consequence of Recycled Footage Syndrome.

To take it at face value, though, and play with in-universe speculation, I think that it's meant to be metaphorical, just like the 'naked in the sky' moments that everyone keeps having. There aren't actually any glowy light effects following people around, but they feel it and others have ways of perceiving it (through their runes or pendants or 'love's true knowing' or whatever), and so it gets represented onscreen as a viewer notification. In the case of the footage review, everyone present was aware of what had happened at the time through one means or another, and so 'saw' it even though there wasn't actually anything 'really' on their screen either.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been searching this movie for almost 30 years, knowing only its general plot right from memory lane and nothing else.

And I search 30 years for the Manga adaption of it and finally found it several years ago when it was reprinted in 2007.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/火の鳥2772-MF文庫-9-11-手塚-治虫/dp/484012065X

Here is a detailed write up of the book with some images:

http://www.2772.otaku.ru/comments/e_comic.htm

And I've tried to scratch-build a figure of this redesigned Olga (unrelated artwork to the manga adaption) over 10 years ago, but this was my first attempt at sculpting a full figure so I lacked the skills and understanding of materials at the time. But one day, I swear, it will be done!

Yay! Not alone! Let's move this chat to here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=44110

(I'd really love to have that manga adaptation. And I know the lady who runs 2772.otaku.ru )

I think that it is just the consequence of Recycled Footage Syndrome.

To take it at face value, though, and play with in-universe speculation, I think that it's meant to be metaphorical, just like the 'naked in the sky' moments that everyone keeps having. There aren't actually any glowy light effects following people around, but they feel it and others have ways of perceiving it (through their runes or pendants or 'love's true knowing' or whatever), and so it gets represented onscreen as a viewer notification. In the case of the footage review, everyone present was aware of what had happened at the time through one means or another, and so 'saw' it even though there wasn't actually anything 'really' on their screen either.

Honestly I don't see why the light wouldn't be there as a result of the fold resonance systems of the respective aircraft.

Wait, so you're telling me they're not actually naked and flying around in the sky? Well, this anime just lost some points.

Seriously though, who wants a GIF of Chuck shooting missiles? 'Cause I made one.

Imgur Link

Chuck's valk looks damn sexy there. Wasn't really a fan before but yea. I guess seeing it actually doing something works wonders. Who knew?

I haven't really been following the threads here at MW for this series, just quietly watching the episodes. Reading through his thread was kind of a shock, I wasn't expecting to see so much negativity. I guess I must have really poor taste because I've been enjoying the series immensely right up through the most recent episode. It's the most enjoyable I've found a Macross series since the very first. I guess I'm dimming with age because I really like the slower pacing and the easy to follow plot.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in as someone who doesn't really have any complaints with the show. I'll see myself out. :(

Reading through his thread was kind of a shock, I wasn't expecting to see so much negativity. ...

To be fair, most of the negativity started right around Episode 14 when the story for all purposes, just came to a screeching, jack-knifing halt. Anyways, back to the current episode thread.

Geez, this episode is a dog. Not as bad as the "summary of the franchise talking head festival", but... ugh.

Yes, I just watched it. I remember when I was excited because a new episode was coming. Now?

I'mma say the whole show died when Messer did, it just hasn't realized it yet.

Wait, so you're telling me they're not actually naked and flying around in the sky? Well, this anime just lost some points.

Seriously though, who wants a GIF of Chuck shooting missiles? 'Cause I made one.

Imgur Link

Nice! I'm somewhat baffled by what looks like missiles coming out of the knees though. :huh:

I haven't really been following the threads here at MW for this series, just quietly watching the episodes. Reading through his thread was kind of a shock, I wasn't expecting to see so much negativity. I guess I must have really poor taste because I've been enjoying the series immensely right up through the most recent episode. It's the most enjoyable I've found a Macross series since the very first. I guess I'm dimming with age because I really like the slower pacing and the easy to follow plot.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in as someone who doesn't really have any complaints with the show. I'll see myself out. :(

To be honest I have been reading this forum less and less partially because the constant negativity started to affect my enjoyment of the series. Delta certainly has flaws, and even I'm less excited than I was when it first got going, but I'm still trying my best to enjoy the positives.

Also, making sweet GIFs is a lot of fun.

Edited by Product9