What are your top 10 favorite Valkyrie designs!

aurance

I'd like to see people's 10 favorite Valkyrie designs of all time, based on its primary appearance (not necessarily the toy representation). I know there actually aren't that many more than 10. :p You can group all variants together as one entry (-1S, -1D, -1J etc.) or separately depending on how you feel about it, doesn't matter. It's just for fun. Also note if you have the toy of it!

Mine are, starting with favorite as #1:

1) YF-21 (I have Yamato 1/60, it's a good toy, but desperately hoping for a v2)

2) VF-19ACTIVE Nothung

3) VF-19F (Yamato 1/60)

4) YF-30 (Bandai 1/60)

5) VF-25S (Bandai 1/60, I only have the -F)

6) YF-19

7) YF-29B Percival (Bandai, I have the Alto)

8 ) VF-5000

9) VF-11B

10) VF-0S

Edited by aurance

The list started easy but got harder to classify valks over another after the first 4. I feel 5-10 could change depending on how a feel a given moment. I clumped all the variants together.

1. VF-1 (the classic. There wouldn't be others if this didn't come first)

2. VF-25 (the most iconic look since the Vf-1 IMO)

3. YF-19

4. YF-29

5. VF171

6. YF-30

7. VF-31

8. YF-21/VF-22

9 VF-0

10. VF-17

I have toys to all 10 except the 31 which hasn't come out. I do have the Mecha collection version though.

It's funny after looking at my list, i realized the vf-11 didn't make the top 10 even though i always considered it one of my favorite designs. I guess that means their are too many good VF designs out there.

Edited by Sandman

Hrm... tough call.

1. Takachihof VF-2SS Valkyrie II

2. Stonewell/Bellcom VF-4A Lightning III

3. Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1S Valkyrie (DYRL type)

4. Shinsei/LAI YF-30 Chronos

5. Shinsei/LAI YF-25 Prophecy

6. General Galaxy VF-171EX Nightmare Plus EX

7. Surya VF-31A Kairos

8. Shinsei VF-19A Excalibur

9. Shinsei VF-11C Thunderbolt III

10. Stonewell/Northrop Grumman VF-0C Phoenix

As a side note, I've noticed my preferences mostly coincide with the rides of characters I particularly like. Sylvie Gena, Hikaru Ichijo, Roy Focker, Leon Sakaki, Chelsea Scarlett, Alto Saotome, Aegis Focker, and Mina Forte. Nobody of any import flies the VF-31A or VF-0C yet.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Huh, didn't even know there was a -0C.

Yep! It's the single-seater version of the VF-0D, a few of which were made for evaluation by the UN Marine Corps. IIRC the only picture of the damn thing outside the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix book is a Tenjin Hidetaka painting done for a model kit.

if I had to slap a quick list together then it'd probably be something like this..

VF-1 (VF-1J then TV-A, D, S)

VF-19 (19P then F, S, YF-19, Advance, Kai)

VF-27 (CF ver, then Brera/Grace) VF-27 is easily my favorite of the Frontier Valkyries.

VF-0 (D then S then A) im sucker for the Delta!

VF-4 (for its fighter mode only)

VF-31 ("A" variant then others)

YF-30

VF-25 (S then RVF then A then G then YF-25 then F.. sorry Alto but your variant kinda blows)

SV-262

SV-51 (for its fighter mode only)

YF-21/VF-22

VF-3000

VF-11C (then B)

YF-29 (I still think they could have done a little better with this variant, looks very afterthoughty..)

VF-5000

VF-171

VF-17S (then D)

ok so that's more than 10 but thought I'd just keep going till my mind went blank.

And yes the VF-2 is not on the list cos its total dogs balls..

Edited by spanner

VF-1

VF-25

VF-19

YF-21/VF22

VF-0

SV-52

VF-11

YF-29

VF-27

VF-31

VF-171

I like the curves in the newer 5th gen Valks. The VF-1 though is my favorite since it is just a straight forward fighter with a simple design.I never cared for the VF-17 design since it is based on the F-117 and I am not a big fan of its design shape (I know that is how it works as a Stealth aircraft but it is still ugly). They did improve it with the 171 though, which is why it made my list.

Here you go Aurance the VF-0C

VF-0C

Edited by grigolosi

YF-19/VF-19A

VF-0S

VF-31A/J (I don't mind either wing configuration)

VF-22

VF-25S Armored Pack

VF-1S Super Pack

VF-25G (because of the head)

SV-262

VF-171

SV-51

No normal VF-1, blasphemy? Consider where the VF-0 is on my list; I prefer the transitional prequel fighter for its longer wingspan and nicer curves. The VF-1 itself might have made it were there fewer options to choose from.

I'd also give honorable mentions for the VA-3 Invader and the briefly-seen SV-154; the former for being a conversion of a workhorse bomb truck, the latter for starting out as an F-104.

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

• VF-31A Kairos (Gripen E relocated landing gear could be Kawamori inspiration to relocate arms/gear)
  • VF-1S Jetfire, best Autobot ever. Later I knew why it kicked Starscream silly blockish F-15 ass.
  • VF-29A Yeah, VF- and A. Someone painted his YF-29 in light gray and shared on internet.
  • VF-4 It may be ugly, but it sure is ugly.
  • VF-9 No love for this one? Only inverted wing VF I like (besides the non-canon VF-29A)
  • VF-5000 Only stealth lookalike I like (F-22 Manta).
  • VF-25G APS-25A/MF25 Not sure if Klan piloted an armored one in the series
  • VB-6 Counts as a heavy valkyrie, right?
  • SV-262Ba Beauty of coolness J-35 Draken, not as bombastic as Fz-109 or Az-130. Pity it does not have Hs head without the spiky wings
  • VA-3M
[Edit]VF-171EX and VF-11B dropped from my list, as VF-31A is as down to business as the former and have as similar a head as the latter. Edited by Aries Turner

1. VF-4 Lightening III (have a toy)

YF-19 (have multiple toys)

VF-1 Super Valkyrie (have almost too many to count in toys...OK you can never have too many)

VF-2SS Valkyrie II SAP

VF-25 Messiah (I have 2 versions of this one in toy form, with 2 more coming next week.)

VA-3 Invader

VF-11 Thunderbolt (I have 2 version of this one)

YF-30 Chronos

VF-31 Siegfried

VF-19F Excalibur

1. VF-4

2. YF-21

3. VF-1S Strike - Hikaru

4. VF-19F

5. VF-2SS SAP

6. VF-25S w/ Armor Pack

7. YF-19

8. SV-51 Nora

9. YF-29 - Ozma Colors

10. VF-1J Max/Milia Colors

I have toys for all of them except for the VF-2SS... just can't bring myself to take the plunge... yet.

1. VF-4
  2. SV-51
  3. VF-19 F/S
  4. YF-19
  5. VF-22S
  6. VF-1
  7. VF-0 C/D
  8. YF-21
  9. VF-11
  10. VF-25

... If you held a gun to my head those would be the 10... the order would shift on the day though.

Here's my list depends on their form and with or without its respective add-on packs.

Fighter:

1. VF-1J/S/A/VT-1 (Nothing beats the classic.)

2. VF-4 Lightning III

3. YF-19/VF-19Advance Isamu/VF-19Active Nothung

4. YF-21

5. VF-2SS Silvie

6. VF-31S/F

7. VF-0S/D/A

8. VF-25F/S

9. YF-29 Roy/Isamu/Rod

10. VF-27 Mei Leelong

Gerwalk:

1. VF-1J/S/A/VT-1 (Again, nothing beats the classic.)

2. VF-0S/D

4. VF-0S/D/A

5. VF-25F/S

6. VF-31S/F

7. YF-29 Roy/Isamu/Rod

8. VF-11C

9. YF-30

10. VF-27 Mei Leelong

Battroid:

1. VF-1J/S/A (Even in Battroid, nothing beats the classic.)

2. VF-0S/D/A

4. VF-1X++

5. VF-0S/D/VF-0 Kai 'Zeak'

6. VF-25F/S

7. VF-31S/F

8. YF-21

9. VF-4 Lightning III

10. YF-29 Roy/Isamu/Rod

I don't have the following Valks in any DX/Yamato/Arcadia form. Some of them hasn't been released yet or it's just customed made only.

- VT-1

- VF-19Active Nothung

- VF-1X++

- VF-0 Kai 'Zeak'

- VF-31S/F

- YF-29 Roy/Rod

- VF-27 Mei Leelong

1. YF-19A (VF-19 Advance included, but not the Macross 7 VF-19s)

VF-2SS with SAP (the non armored version would be way down, if not off the list entirely)

VF-1 with Super Pack or Strike. Basically a tie.

VF-0. A and D variants are my favorites.

VF-25, but it needs a set of FAST packs with my preference being Armored then Super then Tornado.

YF-29

VF-31A (I haven't even seen it in action and I already know I like it.)

VF-4 (sentimental value from watching Flashback 2012 over and over and over)

SV-51 (how did I forget this one? Spanner's list reminded me.)

YF-21 (at this point I'm grasping at straws)

I left off the FSW VF-31 fighters from Macross Delta because of their newness and I haven't had time to get used to them. Consider them grouped together with the VF-31A. I put the VF-31A on my list because it's really love at first sight with that one. It's possible in a few years the VF-31A might move up the list to be my #3 or so.

Edit. Added the SV-51 at #9 and bumped the VF-2JA off the list.
Edited by GabrielV

What the heck is the -1R

The "VF-1R" in Macross is an alternate name for the VF-1改 Refined Valkyrie from the Macross II parallel world timeline story Macross 2036. It's actually not one variant, but a family of (at least) three: the VF-1AR, VF-1JR, and VF-1SR. They're a major evolutionary upgrade of the VF-1 Valkyrie platform that rolled out in the late 2010's, and were developed by the newly formed Takachihof Company. They also sometimes go by the name "Attack Valkyrie" and have a semi-permanent Super Pack like the VF-2SS that combines the features of a Super and Strike Pack (called the Super Pack II).

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/macross/2036/

The VF-1SR was flown by Macross 2036 protagonist and player character Komilia Maria Fallyna Jenius, and the VF-1JR was flown by her wingman and love interest Lott Sheen.

The other VF-1R is what The Show That Must Not Be Named calls the animation error VF-1A with three lasers.

Am sorry i tried but i cant make a list out of this. Don't know how you guys do it, but no way can i rank them, its so hard to do! :(

The only thing i can say is that my least fav is the VF-2. From a full-bodied/gloriously colored marked VF-1, to a flat as a pancake/bland VF-2.

i still consider it part of macross fandom tho and have to look at it front certain angles to appreciate it! ;)

Your lists are still interesting reads so keep em coming!

Edited by seti88

The other VF-1R is what The Show That Must Not Be Named calls the animation error VF-1A with three lasers.

I thought that was a YF-1R. Either way, I meant the 2036 plane(s).

(I still like the animation error, and the thing I hate most about The Other Show's use of it is that they subsequently chose to redesign the head into something uglier.)