"He-Man and Masters of the Universe" Film by Sony

Mazinger

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/12/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-director-mcg-on-casting-villains-tone-and-more

"HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE DIRECTOR MCG ON CASTING, VILLAINS, TONE AND MORE"

It’s a very exciting moment for Masters of the Universe. We have a big meeting with Sony regarding prep of the movie on Wednesday. And we’re in the middle of a bit of a script polish, and it’s my absolute passion. I’m laser-focused on that being my next film. But I mean, you know how it works in contemporary filmmaking. You really, really have to earn the good will of the parent studio, and Tom Rothman runs a tight ship at Sony, and we’re going to get there. I’m so happy to report that to the fans.

Also quoted in: http://www.darkhorizons.com/mcg-says-he-man-reboot-is-his-next-film

"By the power of Grayskull..."

El universo ya está protegido
Por el poder de GraySkull
Con secretos poderes destella un castillo
He-Man luchará hasta el final

He-Man

I became a big fan of the original after my kids were born and wanted to watch something fun. Though hoaky, many of the eps had some interesting story lines and famous writers, which I didn't remember from when I watched the show as a kid.

In particular the Paul Dini written episode called Teela's quest comes to mind. The more recent series, though not as charming re-establishes many of the same plot points. They definately have a lot of material to work from so they don't need to go hunting for ideas, just take the current extensive lore and distill it Marvel-wise. Hopefully they have the discipline to do it right. McG does name drop marvel quite a bit.

I remember watching Thor 2 and immediately thinking "this is exactly what Eternia should look like " in a movie.

Kristian Harloff on Collider video and Schmoe's Know brings up He-Man every now and then. He says what it should be is a cross between The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and is very enthusiastic about the potential of the He-Man property but he doesn't think this will be that. He also mentioned the animated show from the early 2000's was really good, Anyone here see that series?

Chris

I saw the 2000's series. It definitely featured more cohesive character arcs and a wider range of animation. In that sense it was more "gritty", the more Frontier of the two versions.

But guess what, I still prefer the original. Even with all the repetitious roto scoped animation, it was just more fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
23 minutes ago, Mommar said:

McG still gets work?

Nah, he's been off the project for a while.  It also seems like they may have ditched the David Goyer script.

Latest directors seem to be Adam and Aaron Nee (“Band of Robbers”) working off a script by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway (“Iron Man” and “Men in Black International”).

Sony and Mattel seem intent on having something done by 2021.  Hopefully it's good.